It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of ARKS are leaving earth, should you jump?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

In reality if we were trying go "sublight"... hell no! I would hope to circle the earth until it could be habitable again would be better than going out into the Universe blindly!

But if we could travel there at a resonable speed I could see it. I think if we could build the arks that we would be sending out unmanned probes ahead of the Ark flight for recon.

That's an interesting idea, I thought of it myself, kind of like in the time machine??? But be careful and watch out for pirates.
There could be a nice bunch of people lurking around that would love to get your ship, especially if they are left behind and are forgotten.

Odds are that if we came to build these ARKS though, we would have a shift in our perspectives at the same time and become much more responsible with our own planet. We would treat her the same as we treated any other, the way we would want other planets to treat us.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I can't believe this ?BS is even getting the time of day. And the USS enterprise is leaving now for planet klingon. FFS get a grip.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

leave a world run by the rockefellers, rothschilds, bushes and their minions to live in another world, if found, run by the rockefellers, rothschilds and bushes of the world.

i can imagine the ark too, they'll have lavish staterooms taking up space that could be used to save others, and you'll be in the bowels of the ship packed like sardines sleeping on a cot.

no thanks, i'll be at church waiting for the world to come.

Great reason to leave, these guys can't own the Galaxy. Nobody could, after a little time, the diversity would become so strong even among us, we would become like different species in each world.

You have to remember, each ship is going out looking for a place to settle, there is no TPTB out there... well not that we know of yet anyway.

Also there is no reason that your church could have it's own ship, the Godly path you know, save the masses, Faith that God will lead you to where you are needed most and all that. Why not?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I can't believe this ?BS is even getting the time of day. And the USS enterprise is leaving now for planet klingon. FFS get a grip.

Thanks bro, come on in and smack everyone, or ME around a bit why don't ya? It's alright. I was fooling around and posted this late last night and was pleasantly surprised myself to see it up here today. It may be a little fun and games and all, but, In the end it is about our planet and how we should take care of her. Most of the people that have responded, myself included, have had a little fun using their imagination and recognizing what is most important at the same time. I think it's a great little exercise myself.

BTW just keep in mind that all the party poopers will be in the basement riding the bikes that charge the night lights for all the happy folk... while they sleep.

/
O----O

edit on 11-6-2012 by Quauhtli because: had to add the wheels

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'd go because as mentioned, if humanity is on the brink of destruction, why the hell not? What could you possibly have to lose? What could you potentionally gain? If someone didn't have the guts to forge into unknown territory, the "new world" would still be a mystery unknown. We are a curious species, call me curious george and strap me into stasis. Besides it would be fun for sheer vanity's sake to be able to say 'damn I look great for 300,000 years old when you took a stasis break.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Quauhtli

Truly ..the ark thing will be what will happen in less than 1/2 billion years. If humanity makes it that long... Our sun will be too hot for life here on earth any more..in 1/2 to one billion years. In 5 billion years our long lifeless planet will have been fried and swallowed by our red giant sun.
Stars like our sun really don't seem the very best stars to support life, although I am happy it has. Our sun ..a G star has a short life span of about 10 billion years....and it is getting a bit old now...
But K-stars burn a lot slower and can have burning power up to 30 billion years!!! And..life could go on on these planets circling a K-star for many more thousands of years than life can with a G-star. There are a lot more K-stars than there are G-stars. Maybe around these stars is where to look for life.
Maybe planets like our little earth aren't the best life supporters either. A bigger planet with a stronger gravity would be able to hold an atmosphere much better..but we would probably be very short!!! Just thinking ...

edit on 11-6-2012 by ellieN because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2012 by ellieN because: To clarify a little better....

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Once you get outside the magnetosphere you're dead anyway. Only choice you got is to die. There's billions of things that could kill you out there even if you managed to survive dying from cancer the radiation out there will give you.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ellieN

But K-stars burn a lot slower and can have burning power up to 30-40 billion years!!! And..life could go on on these planets circling a K-star for many more thousands of years than life can with a G-star. There are a lot more K-stars than there are G-stars. Maybe around these stars is where to look for life.
Maybe planets like our little earth aren't the best life supporters either. A bigger planet with a stronger gravity would be able to hold an atmosphere much better..but we would probably be very short!!! Just thinking ...

K-star not so much maybe, but more than likely. However there is a problem of possible indigenous life, and possibly already migration to there, and what else? us coming along in our model T. While it is an interesting OP, it is not a viable question for us as we are now, we simply don't have the means to jump-ship yet, even if it was the only thing to do, and to talk of a Noah type ARK in our current terms is irrelevant as we know it, all the DNA profiling just means ultimately, again as we know it, simply means that a few vials of this and that, is all that is required to take our life form to somewhere else, except that our life form would be a anachronism there.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quauhtli
reply to post by michael1983l

BTW just keep in mind that all the party poopers will be in the basement riding the bikes that charge the night lights for all the happy folk... while they sleep.

/
O----O

edit on 11-6-2012 by Quauhtli because: had to add the wheels

oh sir you made me spit my monster drink allover my new benq 3d monitor...

havent laughted that good all year.

ty

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I am a huge proponent for off world colonization. Our civilization need to stretch out, to survive.

One comet, on collision course, about 2000km wide, and pow! We are all dust.

We should've at least had a moon base by now. The money isn't there, too many people are greedy.

But, yeah, sign me up at 43. One condition I have is that each of the thousands of ARKS have tons of earth soil on them, and they are designed to raised gardens in 1 gee. I won't want stasis, I'll tend the gardens while you guys sleep, with a few assistants, and we can build up a nice stash of food for you when you meet your destination a few thousand years from now. I'll grow food until I die, and just pitch me out an airlock, and it will be all for a good cause.

OMG, I've read waaaay too much sci-fi in my life. The OP meshing across several themes I've read in the past.

Low gravity, space travel, I'm in. I've seen the corners of this earth, time to move on to the next. I'm gonna die anyway someday, so why not amongst the stars from which we came from anyway?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Why would I take a chance of going to an inferior planet. I like it here, I have no reason to eat the grass on the other side of the fence. If six billion people leave on these arks there will be plenty of room.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I would go like a shot! Remember the film Cocoon? I was so excited for those who left with the aliens. I have always wanted to travel in space and see for myself...I would want to drop in on Mars first before leaving the Solar System.
Just packing now....

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

As Jim Morrison said "Nobody here gets out alive".

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

is this a hypothetical scenario?
if it is: why have I not heard of this before
it it is not: why don't you point that out at least in the post?

thank you.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

How is terraforming your new found planet living in harmony with it?

It's a new start of the old human-style, we don't adapt to our surroundings, we adapt our surroundings to us..

That said, i think i'd go along for the ride. Sounds a bit destiny-like (SG:U)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

How is terraforming your new found planet living in harmony with it? It's a new start of the old human-style, we don't adapt to our surroundings, we adapt our surroundings to us..

It depends on the planet. If it were more like the moon, terraforming it could have huge unforeseen consequences that don't play themselves out for a long time, and our stay could be cut short. The consequences could eventually reek havoc on the whole solar system. On the other hand if it were a large planet like earth, we may start by changing a little at a time. Life needs to change and adapt in order to stay strong and flexible. The consequences of our being there may be more predictable and subtle. A big planet with a smaller amount of life yet may be a very accepting place.

Humans could be compared to a chick that has not hatched yet from it's egg. Until we move out into our galaxy we may not be really alive in some sense. We have not yet locked in much of our full potential, and maybe what we were made for truly has not happened.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Things are the way they are, because they are supposed to be. Us meddling in that stuff (where-ever it is) can only be bad imo.

If a planet isn't suitable for humans to live on, we should move on to the next candidate, not change an existing ecosystem to suit OUR needs.

It's the age old arrogance and selfishness of humans which is currently destroying the home we have right now aswell.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Absolutely, I'd go. This planet is being decimated by corporations and unscrupulous developers. Species we haven't even discovered yet are going extinct on a daily basis thanks to deforestation and clear cutting of the rainforests, all to make room for irresponsible farming techniques. If, by the time our technology has advanced to the point of being able construct these ARKs, we haven't yet turned to sustainable ways of feeding our billions and eliminating poverty and overpopulation, reserve my (and my Cat's) spots on the next ARK out!

Those leaving on these so-called generational ships must undergo carefuf psychological screening (no psycho- or sociopaths please!) and training in sustainable methods (no more slash and burn) of survival. Everyone will have something to offer the group, whether it's knowledge of engineering or of cooking and preserving foods for family pantries. People will not be turned away simply because they couldn't afford to pay for a piece of paper saying they can do what they can do. A degree doesn't confer knowledge and practical ability. Those leading the corporations, governments and private interests that destroyed the planet to begin with will not be allowed passage on an ARK; they can stay behind and lie in the bed they made for themselves. Additionally, politicians with no skills (politicking not being a skill) will also be left behind, unless they have another area of expertise which can prove to be useful in starting over. Lawyers with experience in actual enforcement of the law will be welcomed, but only if their track record demonstrates a leaning to fair resolution of concerns. No tyranny or martial law will be tolerated. Religious figures who also have practical skills, as well as true tolerance and understanding of others will be permitted onboard, the Golden Rule of Do Unto Others will be the guiding principle of the new civilization (with an emphasis on CIVIL).

Maybe a bit overreaching, and certainly far from complete, but I've considered this scenario once or twice and these a just some of the issues I personally would like to have covered. Also, please excuse my typos, thanks!

MommyWoman

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Personally I would stay. My granddaughter was born a week ago and the devil himself could not drag myself away from her. I couldn't leave her or her mom (my daughter) I never thought that I could love as deeply as I do and I have surprised myself with the intensity of my love for her. She is an angel in my eyes.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MommyWoman

Those leaving on these so-called generational ships must undergo carefuf psychological screening (no psycho- or sociopaths please!) and training in sustainable methods (no more slash and burn) of survival. Everyone will have something to offer the group, whether it's knowledge of engineering or of cooking and preserving foods for family pantries. People will not be turned away simply because they couldn't afford to pay for a piece of paper saying they can do what they can do. A degree doesn't confer knowledge and practical ability. Those leading the corporations, governments and private interests that destroyed the planet to begin with will not be allowed passage on an ARK; they can stay behind and lie in the bed they made for themselves. Additionally, politicians with no skills (politicking not being a skill) will also be left behind, unless they have another area of expertise which can prove to be useful in starting over. Lawyers with experience in actual enforcement of the law will be welcomed, but only if their track record demonstrates a leaning to fair resolution of concerns. No tyranny or martial law will be tolerated. Religious figures who also have practical skills, as well as true tolerance and understanding of others will be permitted onboard, the Golden Rule of Do Unto Others will be the guiding principle of the new civilization (with an emphasis on CIVIL).

MW, Thanks for the input. You've got some tough guidelines. If you want it you've got the job. Project Manager, in charge of job placement and production coordination.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join