It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My opinion on UFOs as a research scientist: some are extraterrestrial

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandelay Industries
My intention is to let people know that there are scientists who do consider the topic worthy of study...

What thoughts/ideas do you have to give incentive for those scientists to actually study it, in an official capacity?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
First off,you go to great lengths in castigating UFO researchers who do not have "legitimate" scientific training,yet your field is in cell biology? perhaps I missed something but how does that qualify your conclusions on the phenomenon?,although I do agree with you that a great deal of accepted writings on UFO's belongs alongside other folklore tales.

On what do you base your hypothesis that the sightings that have not been debunked are bona fide alien craft that ,apparently,are able to visit our planet at will,and why do you discount the theory that these craft are of terrestrial origin when there is ample available evidence of research into electrogravitics and other anti gravity research (Winterhaven etc) as well as functioning disc craft having been built and flown (silverbug for example)

My personal opinion is that these craft are of terrestrial origin and the 99% of nonsense published about such craft (as you alluded to in your post) has been positively encouraged ,if not directly engendered by, governments involved in the production of such craft.
edit on 12-6-2012 by nake13 because: grammar

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Scientist in getting ridiculed for researching UFO's shocker.

What a surprise! I bet there's a few shills kicking around in this one, can't be having scientists thinking seriously about this, can we?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandelay Industries

You remind me of George when he ate the apple thinking it was an onion.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I have a few things to say about this.

First off, "It happened to me" isn't a valid SCIENTIFIC argument. Since the OP is simply trying to point out why he, as a scientist, DOES believe in these phenomena, it's perfectly understandable that he would discount most of these. Especially since he DOESN'T want UFOs to continue to dwell with the likes of the paranormal and bring them into the realm of the scientific.

Second, as someone who does enjoy seeing homemade footage of things that people don't understand that are flying around in our sky, I really enjoy watching skeptics either intelligently debunk or see the footage be simply enjoyed by ATS. I wouldn't necessarily call everything NOT debunked genuine. I just like seeing someone's sightings corroborated with others.

With that being said, isn't that what everyone who posts a video of something unidentified, hoaxers notwithstanding, trying to accomplish? Identification of the "craft" or corroboration of the sighting?
edit on 6/12/2012 by Anonymous404 because: grammar

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing.

One thing I think that makes it easy to believe that something has visited here or will do in the future should our planet last long enough. Is that to some alien civilization the universe could be to them what earth is to us. Small. maybe they have been here for something as trivial as updating their version of google universe

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Originally posted by LastProphet527

The programm of flying saucres started in 1947...its the year 2012,believe what you want to believe,im up to date with information.Have a good day.
Ufos do exsist, just not the flying saucer.
edit on 11-6-2012 by LastProphet527 because: (no reason given)

You are so wrong is not even funny. I have investigated this topic for over 20 years. There are reports of sightings, and even old paintings from the 2nd century and to the 17th-18th century which depict ufos. Most of these paintings are kept and shown in museums, cathedrals and churches all around the world.

Many reports are even older. For example the Vedas, India's sacred texts, which happen to be thousands of years old, describe vimanas/flying saucers which the"Gods/Godesses" use/d to fly around, and the Vedas even explain battles in which vimanas and very advanced technologies are used. According to the Vedas, some of the Gods/Godesses gave vimanas, and the knwoledge on how to use thema nd build them to some men which fought battles to help their Gods/Godesses.

In the Vedas there are even descriptions of the ancients using nuclear weapons which destroyed entire armies, and left the survivors in agony as their hair, nails and skin fell off/melted meanwhile theyr tried to stop this by thrashing in water/mud.

The Vedas are among the oldest sacred texts. The Samhitas date to roughly 1500–1000 BCE, and the "circum-Vedic" texts, as well as the redaction of the Samhitas, date to c. 1000-500 BCE, resulting in a Vedic period, spanning the mid 2nd to mid 1st millennium BCE, or the Late Bronze Age and the Iron Age.

en.wikipedia.org...

In the Vedic literature of India, there are many descriptions of flying machines that are generally called Vimanas. India's national epic, The Mahabharata, is a poem of vast length and complexity. According to Dr. Vyacheslav Zaitsev: "the holy Indian Sages, the Ramayana for one, tell of "Two storied celestial chariots with many windows" "They roar like off into the sky until they appear like comets." The Mahabharata and various Sanskrit books describe at length these chariots, "powered by winged lighting...it was a ship that soared into the air, flying to both the solar and stellar regions."

www.hinduwisdom.info...

There are ancient and modern descriptions and texts from ALL OVER THE WORLD that describe ufos sightings.

This phenomenon did NOT start in 1947...and the fact that you claim this shows you have done no real research on this topic.

edit on 11-6-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: errors and to add comments and links.

you should read this about your art and UFO's. Pretty solidly debunked.

www.sprezzatura.it...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by IMSAM
look at all these people reading the post and replying

without reading the whole topic

It's easy to do that. Relax. If they are replying to someone past you, without reading, then I'd empathize with your reaction.

I do usually try to scroll through the entire first page to make sure someone hasn't uncovered a bias or basically revealing the thread is nonsense.

Of course, maybe he is the guy. Maybe he isn't. I'll go with isn't. It sounded like BS to me. I don't care how many books someone has read, if you aren't in the higher secret ops in the highest-paid research labs that you don't even know about, then you keep your mouth shut about what you "know" and don't know exists, and who made it. And, that happens to be 99.9xxx% of us, so we can all safely just put a sock in it. IF you have seen something spectacular, then that is for your eyes only. Anyone who believes you or any number of others just based on reports is operating on trust. You trust or want to believe they do, but you have no idea.

Anyway. It was funny how this guy tried to jump and say it was aliens but probably not human made, and then tries to throw out Occam's razor too. Maybe that would be a good idea. I'll have to consider it, but I'll believe humans made them first before I add even more nonsense by being aliens did! Then, he jumps to the paranormal conclusion himself by saying they just appeared out of nowhere (or something like that).

Glad you chimed in to reveal this guy.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I read the OP and all your replies with great interest. And considering the OP has stopped answering questions, saying that I am disappointed is an UNDERSTATEMENT :-(

*loads of thumbs down (which I can't do on my phone)
edit on 12-6-2012 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Well i had alot to say to the phd, but the above said it all, Awsome. So ill just say, just because your phd doesnt say it exists doesnt mean it dont, us no minds all 9 billion of us have experiences of all sorts and have proof for ourselves, and have proof, probably what you need to fullfill your phd requirments, but since your so high on yourself youll never get it. You said "WE" which says to me, you think your better than us lower level no minds in your WE gorup?, so you threw yourself in as a deity, better than everyone else, where's the science in that. The day you find your heart you goona have one hell of a rough day when your ego bubble breaks, oh and i love science, just not the WE part of your religion.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I have to disagree with you here on some of your "conclusions" because I do know with great certainty that disks HAVE been retrieved, and alien entities retrieved, a few alive, there is too much photographic evidence, especially in Russia. This has been confirmed to me by LEGITIMATE sources entirely in the know.

I also know that those disks have been back-engineered, and we are out there in the stars with them.

I'm glad that you at least concur that we are and have been visited, and that some of them are extraterrestrials. Some of them are hyperdimensional. It's also my understanding, that their ships are in essence "time machines."

At first glance, I was certain you were a disinformation agent, but perhaps you too are simply searching for the truth.

PEACE!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by maceov

As an ATS neophyte I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mind sharing this compelling information with us?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Presenting myself as an expert? I do not think so. Just pointing out that scientists including myself are interested in it. So, yeah. I guess you felt challenged.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Flux8

I have made some responses. I do have a job that keeps me fairly busy.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Dude, you are no PhD at all by selling latex and such.
Maybe you can fix up a post where you copy-pasted your 'statement' from.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Look guys this guy has got this... we can now close this forum and move on with our lives. I do not understand why everyone on here gives him a hard time HE IS A PHD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

he knows and that phd makes him more credible than any of us... if it didn't he would not have mentioned he was a phd.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by votan
Look guys this guy has got this... we can now close this forum and move on with our lives. I do not understand why everyone on here gives him a hard time HE IS A PHD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

he knows and that phd makes him more credible than any of us... if it didn't he would not have mentioned he was a phd.

You're really messed up. Believing everything what you read, presuming alls stated is true.
I know some people who love your type..
You know, world leaders, dictators, etc etc..
Do research for yourself, don't simply believe everything.

Stay sharp.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

he knows and that phd makes him more credible than any of us... if

Are you serious?
No really, are you?!
Why do you visit this site anyway?
I heard some people talk a lot of #, people like presidents, prime ministers, senators, kings, queens and other royaltys. Also 'more credible like' persons.
They are the reason sites like these exist!
edit on 12-6-2012 by Janneau because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

And I have the Ebola virus. Can you prove that? before I die in 3 hours

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandelay Industries
reply to post by schuyler

Presenting myself as an expert? I do not think so. Just pointing out that scientists including myself are interested in it. So, yeah. I guess you felt challenged.

I will heartily agree that being acquainted with with the scientific method and use of critical thinking gives you an edge.

Please do not count it as criticism of your premise when I also mention that I was once told "As an epigrapher, Barry Fell was one heck of a marine biologist."

Out of context, yes, and I'm not being sarcastic...but it was a hell of a quote and lovely to share. I have also had a prominent (cover of Scientific American) scientist express the thought that there is, indeed, something behind the whole 'ghost' phenomenon. I enjoy hearing smart people's opinions (on everything but politics) and it's nice to know the scientific community also has its interests piqued by the weird.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join