It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My opinion on UFOs as a research scientist: some are extraterrestrial

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I got excited after reading the original post thinking he/she would have provided more details. After reading this thread, its pretty obvious that the OP is just attempting to troll every here pretty hard.

On the other hand, some posters have responded with some pretty interesting stuff. Flagged just for that

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
In some respects I agree, and in others I do not. I personally believe in the 95% garbage and 5% UFO.

What I do applaud is your gusto as a mainstream scientist to spend your time seriously researching a subject that is scoffed at by most of your colleagues. Ufology must be treated as any other branch of science, regardless of your hypothesis stated here, I hope more like you become involved in the search for the truth. I have and will be addressing this topic in my new blog:

UFO Perspectives

Please check it out! Thanks much!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by clevelandklik
I got excited after reading the original post thinking he/she would have provided more details. After reading this thread, its pretty obvious that the OP is just attempting to troll every here pretty hard.

On the other hand, some posters have responded with some pretty interesting stuff. Flagged just for that

See my second thread where I address all the comments. I am not a troll, I was on vacation.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
many ufo apparitions are actually jinns/devils... the devils can materialize any form in the physical plane....but the UFO technology exists and is already possessed by the jinns/aliens...

There are no aliens...it's just one more fake identity

alien, extraterrestrial, jinn, ghosts, gods, devils, shaytans, dragons, spirits, spirit of deaths.... the name change but they do not change, they have deceived the humans at all the times. God warns us about them, they are devils, they are from Satan's offspring and they sole and only role is to deceive us and to bring us to hell with them

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by FalseFlagOnOlympics

Nah but, who exactly is this "God" person really who you say is warning us all? Only thing "he" ever warned me of (at a very young age) is that no religion should be touched with a 30 footer.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf
My view on aliens is ultimately it is more logical that they would exist than they wouldn't. There are trillions+ stars out there, many which would have planets similar to ours that could support a carbon based life (not saying that other forms of life couldn't exist).

Also I think it is highly likely that there are civilizations out there far more advanced than ours, simply cos they would have evolved a high level of intelligence sooner than we have.

I do believe though that any civilization capable of crossing millions of light years in order to travel to Earth would not imho need anything we have to offer. I cannot imagine any civilization that would completely master the physics and engineering technology necessary to get here but somehow completely leave the study of genetics and biology by the wayside making it necessary to probe the rectums of poor unsuspecting humans.

I would also hazard a guess that any alien visitors would essentially be benign and probably live in a society that would seem almost utopian to us. Why? Because otherwise they would have destroyed themselves with their own technology (kinda like what we humans are doing to ourselves now) long before they ever had the capability to cross immense distances of spacetime to reach us.

Lastly I have serious doubts about most (not all) ufo sightings because I would also assume that if they can reach us, they would also have the means to mask themselves and are probably quite unlikely to be caught on shaky smartphone footage by a couple of drunken college grads.

As for the whole 'Ancient Alien'/aliens are gods theory, I actualy think that it is probably quite likely. If I were an advanced extra terrestial being I would definitely make my physical appearence when the apex beings of a particular planet still existed at a fairly primitive animalistic level, definitely not when their society resembles anything as screwed up as ours is now...[
Some nice thoughts.

You say there're trillions of stars out there. Actually, there're sextillions of stars in the observable universe. Last I read, they estimated some 30-70 sextillion stars. However, I just googled an article on npr.org that says 300+ sextillion stars. 1 sextillion is 1,000,000,000 x 1 trillion. That's a big number. But anyway, we think there're billions of earth-analogs in our galaxy and tens of billions of earth-like planets. Not all of these planets are going to be exactly like earth, in fact, most of them are orbiting redder (and older) stars. Other research also hints that there're billions of planets BETWEEN the solar systems. Furthermore, if the panspermia theory is correct then life could be on asteroids, moons, comets, inside the nebular clouds, and on most of the planets (including the ones BETWEEN star systems). Much of it could be fossilized life, but some of it's "dormant" and just waiting for the right environment. Anyway, there're probably trillions+ of potential space "objects" that might have this life on them in our galaxy alone. And there're 100's of billions of galaxies estimated in the observable universe. They do not know how much bigger the universe is, but we could very well be a fraction of it. Sadly, because of the speed of light limit we will -never- see beyond a finite bubble that surrounds us. This means that most of the universe (if we're a fraction of it) will -never- be observed.

As for your assertion that aliens would have no interest in us and that they would hide from us at will, I think that this is only mostly true, but not entirely. I think that aliens would be a lot like US compared to how we interact with other life on this planet. There's a range of types of interaction. We step on ants and barely notice, for example. We don't try to hide from them. But we might try to hide from cougars or wolves or known predators. We may try to avoid deer and whales and so on. And even though dolphins and monkeys are comparably intelligent, we don't go out of our way to try to talk to them. In fact, some countries still butcher dolphins for seafood. Many people love to watch animals and study them. Overall, I think your view on it's too dismissive. While I think they would have vastly superior technology if they can get here, I do not think that necessarily means they have no interest in us. Neither do I think they would always try to hide from us or would actively seek to communicate. I think their interest would be simple companionship and academic, but who knows?

With the ability to live for long periods in space (assuming they never figure out how to warp space/time or how to cross great divides in short time), I doubt they'd have a desire to live on the surface of planets. I mean, even if they did want it, couldn't they simply simulate it with brain-computer simulations? It just seems to me that once a species accommodates life off-planet that it would come to favor it and not have the deep attachment that we do to surface living. This is made truer when you consider their respect for other life-forms that might be more primitive, like ourselves. I think this is best understood by look at marine life in the seas and oceans and seeing how humans do not want to live in the seas or oceans because they're perfectly fine on land. Furthermore, even if we could live in the seas and oceans, we respect the marine life and it acts as a deterrent.

I think it's only a matter of time before we meet another species like ourselves that's at a similar phase in its evolution. My brain keeps telling me that the patterns I see on earth will repeat in the cosmos. So just like how humans met each other when they crossed oceans and large areas of land, we will also do the same some day when we cross the volume of space and are confronted by a reflection of ourselves in another species. We may even find that we have common genetics because of panspermia? There's a chance! But even if not then we might find we have other similarities in behavior brought on by the universe itself. It may take some time for all this to happen, however.

If we're shown to be created by another species then that's fine. If I find out that I'm actually a soul living inside this virtual matrix then fine. If god condemns me after dying then that's fine too. There're too many to count different possibilities for existence. Nobody can say for sure what we are. I mostly go on what I know and have seen around me, but this doesn't mean that I'm closed to other potentialities. Just like a ant or a amoeba or a bear or whatever, I'm limited by my finite senses, my intelligence, my motions, my reality. I'm finite and fill the holes in reality with my own expectations.

For some people they must know everything now. Maybe that's why religion is so popular. Or even ufology, for that matter. People want ANSWERS, but reality doesn't always serve them to us. No matter how we work or struggle in vain, we cannot find every answer. There's a mystery, a blackness, a veil that spills paint recklessly onto our idealistic picture-perfect painting and is only coped with, not resolved. Every person struggles with this unfulfilled need for completion.

I can't blame us because death is scary. That all we have done is like a grand sand castle that had blood and sweat invested in it to proclaim its glory and presence. Only to be washed away by the next days waves... It's as though something grabbed our heart and pulled it out still pumping as we watched in disbelief. All that we do is washed away by time and incidental fate.

Nothing says it clearer than this man did:

edit on 22-6-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMSAM
so why are you going over the internet copy pasting your stuff proffesor?

busy studying greys anatomy?

if you catch my drift

As a PhD research scientist who has extensively investigated the UFO phenomenon for the past 4 years, I have concluded that about 95% of the entire field—not just sightings—are false. However, I have also concluded that visitations to earth have occurred. I also have concluded that never has the US or any government made contact, retrieved crashed disks, or created a top secret program to reverse engineer UFOs. Much to the contrary, we know nothing. We concluded quite early on that the phenomenon is real, we have no idea what they are or are doing here, but are most likely non-hostile. Since no government body wishes to acknowledge that real physical objects of unknown origin are intruding freely into our airspace as they please—and we can do absolutely nothing about it—the only logical path is to ignore and debunk. This has worked quite well for the past 60 years. The UFO subject is a scientific phenomenon. Unfortunately, over 99% of UFO researchers lack any scientific training, and their often far-fetched interpretations tend to catch the most attention. Imagine if 9 out of 10 researchers in my field of cell biology had no formal scientific training...one can be certain that the bulk of the work produced would be garbage. During my studies of this topic, I learned that because of the high signal to noise ratio in the data, I had to set very stringent standards for what I deemed real. This means focusing on radar-visual cases with multiple observers from different locations of objects exhibiting extraordinary speeds/accelerations and turns. Sightings by scientists, pilots, military, and air control experts are all I bother with. There are literally hundreds of these. Continued below...

click
edit on 10-6-2012 by IMSAM because: (no reason given)

Has this post been answered, I read a few pages and it didn't look like it. Is there an explaination for this post be being taken from a reply to something on CNN?

I recall seing the OP's avatar on another thread recently and another poster asked if OP was an architect to which the OP replied yes. I recall the avatar as OP was asked someting about the TV program it was from.

The words of OP and CNN reply talk about being a cell biologist. Presumably not a research scientist resesrching UFO then?

So, which is it...architect, cell biologist or phd researching UFO?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth

if you catch my drift

As a PhD research scientist who has extensively investigated the UFO phenomenon for the past 4 years, I have concluded that about 95% of the entire field—not just sightings—are false. However, I have also concluded that visitations to earth have occurred. I also have concluded that never has the US or any government made contact, retrieved crashed disks, or created a top secret program to reverse engineer UFOs. Much to the contrary, we know nothing. We concluded quite early on that the phenomenon is real, we have no idea what they are or are doing here, but are most likely non-hostile. Since no government body wishes to acknowledge that real physical objects of unknown origin are intruding freely into our airspace as they please—and we can do absolutely nothing about it—the only logical path is to ignore and debunk. This has worked quite well for the past 60 years. The UFO subject is a scientific phenomenon. Unfortunately, over 99% of UFO researchers lack any scientific training, and their often far-fetched interpretations tend to catch the most attention. Imagine if 9 out of 10 researchers in my field of cell biology had no formal scientific training...one can be certain that the bulk of the work produced would be garbage. During my studies of this topic, I learned that because of the high signal to noise ratio in the data, I had to set very stringent standards for what I deemed real. This means focusing on radar-visual cases with multiple observers from different locations of objects exhibiting extraordinary speeds/accelerations and turns. Sightings by scientists, pilots, military, and air control experts are all I bother with. There are literally hundreds of these. Continued below...

click

Has this post been answered, I read a few pages and it didn't look like it. Is there an explaination for this post be being taken from a reply to something on CNN?

I recall seing the OP's avatar on another thread recently and another poster asked if OP was an architect to which the OP replied yes. I recall the avatar as OP was asked someting about the TV program it was from.

The words of OP and CNN reply talk about being a cell biologist. Presumably not a research scientist resesrching UFO then?

Obviously, you are not a Seinfeld fan. Again, if you had read the thread, you would see that I wrote that news story comment and then decided to make a longer version and put it here. I am a cell biologist. Not a UFO researcher. Because of this paranoid silliness I am encountering, I had to show my damn diploma in a subsequent thread. This has been very frustrating. Maybe ATS is not the place to reach like-minded folks.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by celerygeneral
What a big stroke off.

"Researcher"

"Scientist"

"Overly inflated ego who likes to think they are doing something really important as they masturbate away at their computer screen"

All the same.

Thanks! Way to stick to the spirit of ATS. Sorry you hate yourself.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandelay Industries

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth

if you catch my drift

click

I recall seing the OP's avatar on another thread recently and another poster asked if OP was an architect to which the OP replied yes. I recall the avatar as OP was asked something about the TV program it was from.

Obviously, you are not a Seinfeld fan. Again, if you had read the thread, you would see that I wrote that news story comment and then decided to make a longer version and put it here. I am a cell biologist. Not a UFO researcher. Because of this paranoid silliness I am encountering, I had to show my damn diploma in a subsequent thread. This has been very frustrating. Maybe ATS is not the place to reach like-minded folks.

''Deny Ignorance'' also includes finding truth in things, such as if there were two vocations mentioned from a poster, then a thread created misleadingly titled, suggesting the research was specific to UFOlogy.

Perhaps if you didn't include your cell biology research in the title, as it wasn't necessary, then you wouldn't get questions about it.

My opinion on Seinfeld is neither here nor there.

I shouldn't need to read 12 pages of a thread to establish if the title is misleading, which it certainly was.

A more appropriate title would be ''my opinion of UFO'' just like any other opinion of UFO and not something suggesting ''my opinions on UFO based on my professional UFO research''.

If it didn't suggest professonal UFO research I wouldn't have given it the time of day.
edit on 26-6-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
This thread is most entertaining. The OP is just expressing an opinion, there is nothing wrong in that. Unles he claims he has solid evidence which he does not, it's OK.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imtor
This thread is most entertaining. The OP is just expressing an opinion, there is nothing wrong in that. Unles he claims he has solid evidence which he does not, it's OK.

Expressing an opinion is fine, just OP shouldn't mention research in the title as it is irrelevant to the point being made, OP wasn't researching UFO as a phd, nor does his research of biology have any relevance to the thread.

For example, ''my opinions on UFO'S as a salesman/ production line operative/ baker / insert any other voacation'', is this relevant to the title?, no, so for the purpose of REALITY, leave out the misleading titles, such as wording that suggests a professional UFO researcher thread.

There is enough nonsense on ATS, lets apply the filters intelligently.

If the OP wants cred then don't apply sales spin to the title, it only offends those with bs filters in place and those looking for the REAL and INTERESTING content on ATS.

I probably would choose to read some professional phd UFO research thread though I choose to ignore most of the other 'here's my take on UFO' threads, as there are too many and most eventually say the same things either yay or nay or possibly. I already know yay, nay and possibly. I could, and probably would, be interested in data and professional analysis, which this thread suggested.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
i have to agre with most other posters in saying that all of what u hav said is really jus a really nice story with no conclusive evidince,proof or data of any kind,and in my opinion saying only 1%
of siting are ET is propossterous. no offence but to me yo usound like nothing more then a disinformation agent and a self proclaimed skeptic. show some data or keepp ur storys to urself thank you, no S no F

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
There's nothing that winds the skeptics and shills up more than a scientist saying he/she believes we're not alone. Classic. Hopefully a lot more of you will start doing the same shortly.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by robhines
There's nothing that winds the skeptics and shills up more than a scientist saying he/she believes we're not alone. Classic. Hopefully a lot more of you will start doing the same shortly.

Hopefully ''scientists'' ie the findings of and reporting of in the media will actually be allowed to address such things as UFO and if a good idea, for example with hindsight on such things as potential panic / chaos, be able to truthfully release findings to media, who in turn report in a good and appropriate way.
edit on 1-7-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandelay Industries

The UFO subject is a scientific phenomenon.

No, it isn't. It's a mystical phenomenon. Go back to the drawing board. This book will get you started.

www.amazon.com...

edit on 1-7-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandelay Industries

Its true the more homework you do the more evidence surfaces, this shear volume point to something and its not black projects. The thing is about ATS is its great for stories but it does not help a person attain critical thinking. Every UFO topic on Ats is back and forth, somebody believes in ufos and tries to support there claim, while the the people that are undecided or do not believe strike down every pace of evidence that is presented. After so many pages of argument the truth seeker is left at best conflicting view points and by default is left questioning each side. I really think if people would like to prove anything need to be shown the basis of critical thinking. So logical choices can be made. Many people do not get to go to collage and attain this which is said. However if you have been taught critical thinking you can decide for you self based on the information provided. So what is preventing people form believing is ignorance when it comes down to it. So maybe there needs to be a critical thinking workshop on ATS. Sticky for all member to take a small course on how to analyze information.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
No, it isn't [scientific]. It's a mystical phenomenon. Go back to the drawing board. This book will get you started.

www.amazon.com...

No, actually the OP is very much correct: UFO's are a scientific phenomenon. If they are physically real -- and there are many radar-visual cases world-wide suggesting that they are -- then it is SCIENCE which will provide the the tools to examine that reality.

The following book will help get you started in your efforts to discover the scientific side of he phenomenon: The UFO Experience, by J. Allen Hynek.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeaAndStrumpets

Originally posted by BlueMule
No, it isn't [scientific]. It's a mystical phenomenon. Go back to the drawing board. This book will get you started.

www.amazon.com...

No, actually the OP is very much correct: UFO's are a scientific phenomenon. If they are physically real -- and there are many radar-visual cases world-wide suggesting that they are -- then it is SCIENCE which will provide the the tools to examine that reality.

The following book will help get you started in your efforts to discover the scientific side of he phenomenon: The UFO Experience, by J. Allen Hynek.

No, the OP is not correct my friend. Radar-visual cases are psycho-physical manifestations of archetypes of the collective unconscious which use mind-over-matter on a macro scale.

Mind-over-matter is a psychic ability, and psychic ability is beyond the limits of science to prove. Science is too clumsy and limited. The sheep-goat effect and the experimenter psi effect will forever keep it out of grasp of sicence, which depends on objectivity and replicability. Neither of these are possible when a scientists own unconscious psi is connected to the whole.

Of course, we can easily pretend these are possible, and in fact we do. That's the flawed foundation upon which the house-of-cards we call 'modern science' stands.
edit on 2-7-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
To the OP
What is your opinion about the testimonies of these witnesses (forget about Dr Greer)?

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join