It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rap Creative or Rap Crap?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
These days "rap" actually stands for something....

Retards
Attempting
Poetry

Would you mind enlightening me as to how say, the videos I posted, are made by retards only attempting poetry? Its obviously subjective, but perhaps I am missing something.
I believe they are all from within the past five years or so.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

Nah... I didn't watch the videos. Nor will i...

Nothing personal against the "artists" if thats what you'd like to call them...

And of course this is only my opinion... Take it as you will.

I think music requires an instrument... And singing... Not just a beat with words attached...

But thats me

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Fair enough. And yes, I most certainly do consider them artists. I see music as art, and therefore, expression. However, I do not consider much "modern" painting to involve much skill, so I understand the reluctance. Ill still look at them though. Then again, I literally listen to all genres of music, but I wouldnt say hip hop is my favorite.

Interesting that what you perceive is based entirely on unwavering preconceived notions.. I hope this is exclusive to music alone.

All the best to you.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I am a child of the 70's and 80's. I am musician and I like all kinds of music. When I was young in High school and earlier I liked rap music. I was and am a huge rock n roll fan. But I also listened to rap music since it's inception.

From the Sugarhill gang, Grand Master Flash, Curtis Blow, Run DMC, Whoodini. To Eric B and Rakim, EPMD, NWA, Ice-T, Public Enemy, 2-live crew, Tupac, Ghetto boys and the Beastie Boys. To today's artists like Rage Against the Machine, Eminem, Snoop dog, Immortal Technique and others.

I really don't like rap as much as I used to. My favorite music genre is still Classic Rock. Just like rock music there are sub categories. Classic rock, blues, heavy metal and so on.

Rap has it's own sub categories. Hardcore, Gangsta rap, political, hip hop, fusion, country rap and so on.

Here's a list of some of the different sub categories in the rap genre

Alternative hip
Planets
Christian hip hop
Comedy hip hop
Conscious hip hop
Country-rap
Crunk
Crunkcore
Electro Freestyle rap
G-Funk
Gangsta rap
Grime
House music
Hardcore hip hop
Hip hop soul
Horrorcore
Hyphy
Instrumental hip hop
Jazz rap
Mafioso rap
Nerdcore hip hop
Political hip hop
Pop-rap
Rap rock
Snap music
Turntablism
Classic Rap
West Coast Hip Hop
East Coast Rap
Tech-Rap
Rasta Rap
Old Skool Rap
New Skool Rap
Gospel Rap
Rap Metal
Death Rap
Hardcore Rap
Revolutionary
Dirty south
Religious Rap
Grindcore Rap
Hypher
wiki.answers.com...

There are some types of rap that is suitable for all ages. What is considered to be one of if not the first popular rap would be one of them.

Next came this song by Kraftwerk and electronic computer music was born.

Believe it or not but the artist "Blondie" had a lot to do with rap becoming popular. With this song.

A silly rap song came out of the popular sport of jumping rope

Another breakout song was

Rap became huge with the breakout hits of Run DMC's album "Hard Times"

With this new style of music came a new style of dance and Hollywood tried to capitalize

Full movie

Full movie

The movies didn't do great then but hace since become cult classics

Whoodini is a great rap group of that era with a lot of good songs

When rap crossed over into fusion with rock music it again took on a whole new audience

Previously punk rockers the Beastie Boys took it to a whole new level

Some silly main stream pop rap songs were from Will Smith. Known as the "The Fresh Prince"

Eric B and Rakim developed a style that improved the quality of rap music with their complicated lyrics style.

This is about the time when "sampling" became an issue. Artists began to complain about rap music stealing their songs. Also Gangster rap was beginning to be the new break out rap category.

We all probably know this guy who used samples from David Bowie's song "Pressure" to become one of the early popular main stream white rappers.

Then with rap's new popularity. It moved into Hollywood movies once again.

Sorry for posting so many videos. I could go on but I won't continue with this walk down Rap memory lane.

There are many more rappers of old who I would include in this list. But there aren't many rappers of today that I would promote. But this last artist is a definite must. These two songs are ones I still listen to today.

Like rock music some is suitable for children and some is not.

Immortal Technique

edit on 6/11/2012 by IpsissimusMagus because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/11/2012 by IpsissimusMagus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'm 55 now, And I've liked almost all genres of music from classic country to Rock, Heavy Metal and even Classical Music.
I enjoyed "Rappers Delight" when it first came out, But Rap has devolved the whole spectrum of music in general so much, that I've totally lost interest altogether...

I'll stick to my classic oldies from the likes of Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Grand Funk Railroad, Traffic, AC/DC, etc, etc, etc

But I can't wait to see what comes next that THEIR children will be listening to...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Rap, hip-hop, call it what you want.

It's cur-rap.

This "style" is designed for people who can't sing.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Some rap songs that I like:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I too was a giant bigot towards rap music. Then I discovered Immortal Technique during my 'learning' phase or researching all that I could about our real history, on ATS and elsewhere. He was my freaking hero for a time being, he even came to Tasmania to do a show, my friend and I counted down for months until that day. It was rather disapointing... He lacked the intensity and passion that I was sure he would deliver. In the end, he talked a big game, the biggest... But failed to deliver and fell like any other idol.... BUT, he did say, remember I'm just a man, don't follow me... Still a talented poet and visionary, but the saviour of the world? I don't buy it anymore

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join