It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rap Creative or Rap Crap?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
One more poll for today:

When I was a kid I was listening to the totally NEAT Beatles on my radio. My mother stormed into my room and snapped, "Turn that crap off!"

I was lucky. My kids grew up in the Disco era.

But, if I were raising young teens today and they were listening to Eff this and Kill them in rap music, I would snap, "Turn that crap off!"

What age do you think is appropriate for kids to listen to rap? I'm thinking that I wouldn't want to screen every song they listen to, so I'd forbid all of it. You?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Force them to listen to Public Enemy, Rakim, and KRS1.

Then your kids will never listen to Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, and Waka Flocka.

Your kids will be alright.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
how about creative rap crap
rap is for them who cant sing

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Never. There is no age for kids to listen to rap. In my opinion by the time they are old enough and mature enough to listen to rap they are not kids anymore.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I would hope to raise my children to understand that cursing reveals ignorance and a lack of vocabulary. Then I would further hope they would not choose this music. Hip Hop is not so obscene and I actually enjoy some of it.

If the music is socially relevant, then cursing can be for emphasis, which I do not mind so much. I don't like any of the songs that degrade women or advocate abusing them in any way.

I would talk to my children, but not ban it. Banning things with teenagers usually doesn't end well. I would ban the songs that are abusive to women, and I would explain why that is wrong on so many levels.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Kids are going to listen to whatever they want to listen to. Some how, whether it be via friends or just them seeking it out to do what you told them not to, they will listen to it.

I mean you could tell yourself that they won't, but they will.

I'd say once they're teens let them listen to the Radio edits and edited versions of the song, there is no swearing and most controversial lines are removed (save some).

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Rap had it's place back in the 1990s. It has lost it's way and is now trash.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Have to admit I never liked rap of any kind, though I think today's rap is way worse than when it first came out. Though to be fair, having said that, there are a LOT of (in my opinion) 'crap' songs that kids should not be hearing (especially on the radio) or seeing videos of, e.g. S&M by Rihanna, All the Lovers by Kylie Minogue or Dedication to my Ex by Lloyd (actually really liked that one until I saw the vid and really listened to what it was about and so deemed it rather inappropriate for my kids to be singing)

Luckily my kids (aged btwn 11 and 15) are more into rock and dance and a fair bit of 'oldies' from 60's and 70's (my influence I guess) so rap is NOT on the menu

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Hmm interesting thought.

I was an avid fan of Eminem a few years ago, knew most his songs of by heart, still do today.
Other than that and a few novel tunes from back in the day, I never stook to rap, these days I'm a P!NK, Slipknot, Linkin Park type... I try to avoid all mainstream and commercial music... I resent it, doesn't have any quality to, apart from very few exceptions of course. Love me old school RnB, Reggae, Soul, Garage...

I couldn't really imagine how generation like me mom and older jammed to old boring stuff
like.. Really?!

That said, me and me mates have always joked that we would telling our kids to turn there rubbish off and wack some eminem on.. Haha could you imagine? What will I be listenin to as a gran??

My 16 year old brother music (rap/mc) is absolutley vile I think though, there's 4 years between us, and he really is living the street life.. Like he's trapped in an alternate universe
there generation is well off mine, how mads that?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I grew up on hip hops, it's cool. 50 cent was my fav when I was 11 or so.

edit on 10-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

"The Secret Meeting that Changed Hip-hop and Destroyed a Generation"
Source site
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well, Considering I was listening to The 2-Live Crew and had alot of it memorized when it first came out when I was 12-13 yrs old and my parents both new what I was listening to, I can't say that banning certain music when they r young will make them any different as the grow up if they hear it or not. Listening to it when I was young didn't affect me, Ive got no criminal record, I have a great family, a house, cars, job, my parents are still married, etc.

Most rap is crap, prob like 98% of it. Id say banning things from kids will just encourage them even more to get whatever they are after, including going behind your back. If they are playing something loud enough so you can hear it and you don't like it, tell them you don't want to hear it.

I love music, especially heavy metal, my 6 yr old hears what I listen to and she loves most of it. She really likes Ozzy. Every once in a while Ill say to her “Rap sucks” And she looks at me like Im nuts cuz she doesnt even know what it is cuz she NEVER hears it.
My dad listened to Elvis, Patsy Kline, Alabama, The Oak Ridge Boys, Reba, Johnny Cash, all of that old good country music and I can't stand country music today, but when I hear the music I heard growing up, I enjoy it.
I guess Im saying, if they are young enough to hear the music that you enjoy and they can't really say anything about it, I say force your music taste on them when they are young. If they develop their taste in music hanging around their buddies when they are 12-13, chances are, they will start listening to rap.

I didnt listen to rap when I was that age, Ive always liked the rock and metal, Im not sure where I got the 2-Live crew tape from but I didn't listen to it because it was good or anything, I listened to it because it was funny with all the swearing. Not much was censored in my family growing up. My parents said that just encouraged dishonesty if we had a bunch of rules if we couldn't say what we were thinking. Since I was sent to a private Lutheran school where they didn't teach us sex education, it is possible my parents gave me the 2-Live crew tape, to teach me about sex-ed! Lol

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Kids will always have their music that makes the previous generation shake their heads. In the end, that's the nature of rebellion. If mine is rebelling just by listening to music, then I can live with that (though, he's hardly the age to where I have to worry about that right now. Ask me in ten years, might have a different frame of mind ^.~; ).

Though, I will say there is a fair amount of "crap rap", but that was true with rock before it, and etc etc. I was raised in a way where as long as you're making the grades, and keeping your nose clean, what you do in your own time is your own business. Again, that's as long as you're keeping your nose clean.

As for the "kill this and bleep that" rap, that's crap rap. I wouldn't forbid it, it would only make it more exciting to that teenage rebellious nature. I would subtly point out the weaknesses in that music. Ask how someone in our economic and sociological situation could possible related to it. You know, the "I don't know what you're getting out of this" without forbidding it. Open an ear, turn it into a discussion you know? Make the kid think about the words he's listening to. Though, if he starts sagging and acting like a moron, that's not keeping nose clean, and it's my responsablity as a father to shut that nonsense down.

As for approtate age, I'm figuring it's like movies. If the song comes off as nothing but profanity and hate, I don't think I would be letting my preteen listen to that. But if I do my job right, hopefully he won't want to.
edit on 10-6-2012 by Lasr1oftheJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I agree with you but, I accept the fact that all music is a creative expression of a certain age group in society.
It describes the thoughts and feelings of that age group in the present time in society.
The singers change , the insruments change, the message changes, but the beat of society goes on.
Music will always express the feelings of society.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

"The Secret Meeting that Changed Hip-hop and Destroyed a Generation"
Source site
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I participated in that thread.

In fact, I received 500 points from ATS for my participation.

But I don't know what the points are good for.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

That story is so fake

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I think there are some good rappers out there and there are some where you just want to shake your head and make you wonder how they even made it big.

Almost like that
Vanilla Ice and Bobby Brown one hit wonder.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Jigger, just like most music, commercialized stuff tends to lose its.. "soul." There is crap in all music genres. Though, I must admit, even mainstream music from say the 60s and 70s has some great quality. Hopefully I have enough of your respect to take the time to listen to the following. Certainly havent put time into the hundreds of other threads that crop up like this.

Ideally, for me, hip hop is socially conscious poetry put over beats.

Whether or not you like the following is up in the air, but its an example of perhaps a different view on what is possible through this form of music. Age at which these are appropriate to listen to? Well, Ill let you be the judge. The only questionable one is the last video, IMO.

There are many, many more. Basically just went through the "S" part of my collection. Last one linked specifically to show use of curse words for poignance. I tend to find that hip hop appreciation takes different criteria than other genres; it is very dependent on playing around the beat lyrically. It also uses instruments which are difficult to appreciate as they have, mostly, come about with the "digital" age. Turntables (ironically an analog medium), different types of pads, and general music mixing are difficult to appreciate without actually becoming skilled with them. I believe this stands true for all genres, but its a bit more isolated since these instruments are new, relatively speaking. Something like the guitar has remained largely unchanged for quite some time.

So, to me, some is creative, some is crap. C'est la vie

edit on 10-6-2012 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Get them on to underground rap, Immortal Technique, Lowkey, Diabolic, stuff with meaning. Lyrically they are better and they all have a pretty decent message of equality and justice behind their lyrics.
Like an above poster said, they will never want to listen to Lil Wayne or any of that other # ever again.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
There was a time when music involved a talent with some sort of instrument... But sadly it seems those days are long gone.

When "rap" came out it was decent... Rarely vulgar with a good beat you could grove to... Or at least it was funny.

These days "rap" actually stands for something....

Retards
Attempting
Poetry

edit on 11-6-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join