It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bug out shoes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Hi everyone! I love reading about everyone's bug out gear and I always hear about guns, knives, water filtration and food but what about your feet? Without good feet gear you're a sitting target.

I came to this thought today at work as I spent eight hours on my feet and realized that in a bug out situation I don't own any footwear that would be perfect for bugging out. As a woman I'm not sure if I should be looking at hiking boots or what.

So, ATS, what is your bug out footwear?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ohyouknow

Here ya go for an opinion.

Last years too so they are on sale.

NB Link

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'm not female, but I have some advice on footware.
Go to an Army-Navy store in a city with a decent base nearby and you will find surpluse and new service boots. My Chinese boots from Wally World shed a sole (glue failued). And I bought a new pair of boots for 40 bucks in Killeen, Texas, near Ft. Hood. But I've also found there about the same price In Austin Army-Navy stores which has no nearby base. They are the tan, reversed leather styly lined with goreTexa and very soft. They come in wide sizes also.One thing I really like about these boots is that they have a tough, thin, round lace that slides easily through the eyelets when you want to tighten them or loosen them--a great feature.

They are a great deal for the money.

And to answer another aspect of your question, a BOB (Bug Out Boot) should be just that, a boot.
Think in harsh terms, bad weather, walking iv a virtual junkyard of materials and perhaps having to wear them for months. You don't want anything else but some sort of tough, above the ankle boot.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I like steal toe and plate in my BoB - but the main thing is it comfortable?

That is the main thing you have to look at in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Combat boots are hard to beat and I have a pair.

I'm not planning on bugging out per se. I'll be retreating to rural family acreage. I have a pair of hiking shoes (almost like boots, but not quite) that I'll definitely take. I'm sure many will scoff at the idea of tennis shoes, but I've worked such shoes hard in my former trade and good ones will last through a really hard life. They aren't ideal of course, but you already have them. As a second pair of foot wear I'd recommend tennis shoes.

It isn't good to wear the same pair of shoes every day, so having a pair of tennis shoes to throw on when it is convenient is a nice option. Also, have you ever walked all day in combat boots? They are heavy! Though the ones with leather uppers help protect your ankles from a sprain.

Also, since they weigh nothing I'd carry a pair of flip flops. Laugh all you want, but think about when they might come in handy. Possibly better than flip flops would be water shoes. Either one weighs nothing and might save you from a bad cut if you find yourself in the water while bathing or whatever.

So combat boots would be my primary foot wear. If I could have a second pair of shoes with me (depending on my bug out plan) I'd carry a good pair of Nikes or New Balances or something like that. Hiking shoes would be fine, too. Those thin canvas shoes that don't weigh much would be better than nothing as a second pair of footwear if weight was a concern. I'd like something in a neutral color. Whether I took a second pair of foot wear or not I'd have water shoes or flip flops with me.

Cheap hiking boots bother me. I've never had them last even as long as a pair of good Nikes. Good hiking boots cost ATLEAST $100.

I don't care how tough you are you will eventually take off your boots/shoes or else your feet will fall off. You have to air your feet out. Walking bare foot is dangerous when a minor cut could lead to infection. Sure more than likely you'll beat the infection even without anti-biotics, but you're still half handicapped with an infected foot.

edit on 10-6-2012 by Erectus because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-6-2012 by Erectus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Keen hiking boots. I have 2 pair of Keen shoes I wear, and they are both over 3 years old. One is a low-cut waterproof shoe, the other a waterproof boot. I have never had shoes last this long. And they're comfortable.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I live in Florida and plan to stay in the south, so I have two pairs of jungle boots with steel toe and steel shank. They are excellent for my environment, but if I were going to be up north in the cold I would want something else.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
boots must fit well and be comfortable when new, they WILL NOT conform to your feet and eventually be comfortable ,.you wont be able to take the pain waiting for that..steel toe can be cold in winter .i have plastic toe made to steel toe specs,try brigade quatermasters,get plenty of insulation for winter,cant be too warm.. jungle boots work good in summer, have to get good ones though.steel plate in sole is overated, next time you discard a old pair cut it out, mine was 3/4 inch wide and 3 inches long!!! not much protechtion there !!! Watch where you step.!!!above the ankle boots do weigh more , but when you are by your self you just cant risk a twisted ankle, or if your on the move even with people.save the tennis shoes for camp, .NO COTTON SOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! after a short period they are just wet rags and in winter your foot will freeze..winter boot socks are expensive, try heavy work boot socks, cheaper and good quality and most have almost no cotton.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Time was I'd have said get a pair of German para boots, but after having a pair come apart on Scaffell Pike a few years ago I've switched to Berghaus.
They are awesome. I have a pair that are 6 years old, cost me 50 quid and are still going strong.
So, look in the sales for Berghaus or (not quite as good) Karrimor.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

God mandag !

My bug out shoes:
Balfour boots ( hunter boots with ekstra termo insulation - winter)
LeBOCK 2W4 (midboot - winter)
Asics (Old sport - summer)
NN (klip klapper - summer)

Could be nice with a pair of shoes with steel toe cap / sole.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Get yerself a pair of danners...you cant go wrong with danners....especially if its a good hunting boot...comfie as all get out.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Some manufacturers with good quality military style boots / shoes:

5.11 Tactical footwear
Magnum Boots
Blackhawk Footwear

Since your feet are in the top 5 most important "tools" for bugging out / surviving, I think an investition in a good brand manufacturer WILL pay off.

Be sure to try out what boots are most comfortable for your feet. Small differences in manufacture may mean a world of a difference for your feed.

All the best.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Love me some Keen, I wear the Atlanta to work in the Maintenance dept at GE. Just as good as any work boot and more comfortable than any shoe I have ever worn, from day 1 ... My next boot voucher I am going with the Detroit series, unless they have a new line up in 6 months. would certainly feel comfortable bugging out in these.

However, I would prefer ... If I was up against the apocalypse and I needed a shoe, I would wear what I wore for years as a Millwright in heavy industrial environments until I found Keen, which is a light duty industrial shoe, the hardcore version of a Merrell Chameleon. For heavy duty jobs, unknown terrain or in the winter, I will take the Timberland PRO Endurance 6-Inch Steel Toe, I nick named them "The Hammers" ... Seriously, what else would you need. Hike for hours in these bad boys and feet never hurt, walk on nails, through water, EH, Steel toe, anti fatigue and kick a brick wall and feel no shock ... One Awesome Boot.
edit on 11-6-2012 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Gotta go ditto on Danner!!

I've got a 20 year old version of this pair www.danner.com... and still going strong after two rebuilds/recraftings. Best of all they are made in the USA. I wear other boots at times, but these are my long term favorites and have become a part of my family!! Don't hesitate to spend good money on good footwear that will last for years!!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I have ceramic safety cap and sole in my work boots and gell insoles
the ceramics don't freeze your feet like steel does.
the insoles make the boots very comfortable

get good socks!!!
and good toenail clippers!

also the more you go bare foot the more you can go barefoot as the calluses build up....

in - 40 F or c rubber kamicks or the like with a spare pair of felts so that the felts are always dry are inexpensive and work very very well in damp and cold conditions

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
There are plenty of good suggestions here. I'll provide one more. I love Dr Martens boots for all purposes. When I used to work 12 and 14 hour shifts on concrete floors, Dr Martens were the only shoes that would keep my feet, legs, and back feeling good all night. I even prefer them over Red Wings. The non-slip soles are resistant to acid, oil, water, and pretty much everything else, and they are very soft and flexible for a boot. The leather is good hearty leather. They resist water pretty good, but they wouldn't be great if wading or submerging them in water. They typically don't have steel toes (they might make that as an option though).

People usually write-off the Dr. Martens because they are a fad, and they sell them in the mall, but they are actually extremely good shoes/boots. I usually wear out a pair of work shoes in 4-12 months, but the Dr. Martens always lasted me in excess of 2 years, and that was even when working in constantly wet and acidic conditions on concrete floors.

I'm sure there are good combat boots and hiking boots out there, but for an all around shoe/boot that will double as a good survival boot, I would recommend the Docs.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Thanks for the suggestions! I've got a bit of research to do for my next big buy.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
the good ole bug out shoe. ive bought 3 sets now, 3rd set coming in a few day, all different brands, because of all terrible out comes we can face in a SHTF world, my biggest fear is not having good hiking shoes. I dont know why but it really haunts me.

my latest pair i just got are underarmor 6 in multicam boots! OOOOO yeah daddy!

edit on 11-6-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I like good leather boots, I wear them daily for work.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

my biggest fear is not having good hiking shoes. I dont know why but it really haunts me.

That's funny, I have a similar fear about losing my shoes in a plane crash or boat crash or something. When I was a kid we saw a plane crash and the two occupants were melted around a fence, and they had both been thrown right out of their shoes. I won't get on a plane or a boat without good hiking or work boots strapped up tightly!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join