It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Sonic Weapon' Is Deployed For The Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I found this article very interesting in that it reminded me of the weapon on Southpark that emitted the horrid "Brown Note'. In all seriousness, however, it is interesting to see if they actually have to use it (or will there be a so called reason). I just wonder how and where they tested this particular weapon. Also, I wonder if this could be an explanation for all of the booms and strange noises heard around the world (although from the reports of those incidents, none have actually caused pain from hearing them). Perhaps it is just a test run?

A device that can be used as a sonic weapon will be deployed in London for the Olympics. The American-built long-range acoustic device (LRad) can be used both as a high-powered loud speaker and to emit an ear-piercing beam of sound. The Ministry of Defense confirmed that it was among a "broad range of assets" being used by the Armed Forces to provide security during the Games. A spokesman said it would be used primarily in "loud hailer mode" in order to issue verbal warnings to any boats on the River Thames that were causing concern. London Olympics However, the LRad can emit a highly focused beam of sound at a pain-inducing 150 decibels (dB). In comparison, military jets have a take-off rating of 140 dB while instant perforation of an eardrum can occur at 160 dB.

also, the article goes on to include this..

The US army deployed LRad as a crowd control device during its struggles in post-war Iraq. More recently, it used a vehicle-mounted system against G20 protesters in Pittsburgh in 2009, driving back US demonstrators with the LRad's high-pitched sound. The devices have also been used on cruise liners to ward off Indian Ocean pirate attacks. Some models are now "man portable" backpacks that can blast alarm warnings at 137 dB, and can be used as land-based loud hailers with a range of 1km.

So, I just thought I would share this with you and see what your thoughts are on this particular subject.

news.sky.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

The photos across the UK newspapers a few weeks ago when the Royal Navy were charging around the dome showed a couple of RIB type boats with these weapons clearly visible.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I am not sure how it works, but seems sonic weapons are based on sound wave and will hurt people's ears? If yes, then what will happen to deaf people? Will it still hurt deaf people's ears?
edit on 10-6-2012 by Aslpride because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Aslpride

thats what I am wondering myself. If it just an auditory cause and effect, wouldn't there be certain procedures one could take in order to protect one's ears? I have read about certain vibrations that could cause one to become paralyzed when aimed at certain parts of the body. I will see if I can find a link to them.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1

thats what I am wondering myself. If it just an auditory cause and effect, wouldn't there be certain procedures one could take in order to protect one's ears? I have read about certain vibrations that could cause one to become paralyzed when aimed at certain parts of the body. I will see if I can find a link to them.

It seems that there are multiple variations as to designs and effects of these sonic weapons. It depends on(as corny as it may seem) the particular setting in which said device is placed on.

Extremely high-power sound waves can disrupt and/or destroy the eardrums of a target and cause severe pain or disorientation. This is usually sufficient to hit the incapacitate of a person. Less powerful sound waves can cause humans to experience nausea or discomfort. The use of these frequencies to incapacitate persons has occurred both in counter-terrorist and crowd control settings.

There are also then...

The U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) has demonstrated phased arrays of infrasonic emitters. The weapon usually consists of a device that generates sound at about 7 Hz. The output from the device is routed (by pipes) to an array of open emitters. At this frequency, armor and concrete walls and other common building materials allow sound waves to pass through, providing little defense.[9] This presents logistic problems regarding operation of infrasonic weaponry without exposing operating personnel to the potentially damaging effects.

en.wikipedia.org...

So yes, these types of weapons can be dangerous. I would suggest that there are multiple means of deflecting or shielding from such, which you can figure out on your own.

This type of technology, isn't all that new, and has been used already.

To claim that this weapon is not to be characterized as lethal force is appropriate, but by no means implies the removal of bodily harm. There's only so many weapons available at the disposal for security, being that it is the Olympics, and such a large event... I agree with the implementing of this technology.

I'd rather see these forms of riot control and security, than machine guns and sniper rifles being used... although we all know they will still be there.

If you care to read more about this type of weaponry, this article might be of interest to you:

ZOMBIE GUN
weeklyworldnews.com...

The futuristic weapons – which will attack the central nervous system of their victims – are being developed by the country’s scientists.

They could be used against Russia’s enemies and, perhaps, its own dissidents by the end of the decade.

Mr Putin added: “Such high-tech weapons systems will be comparable in effect to nuclear weapons, but will be more acceptable in terms of political and military ideology.”

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Sound affects more than just your ear drums. Go into a night club, you can feel the bass, so I'm sure that the right frequencies can affect you. Theres a whole science around the properties of sound, and its thought that some ancient technology was based around it.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aslpride
I am not sure how it works, but seems sonic weapons are based on sound wave and will hurt people's ears? If yes, then what will happen to deaf people? Will it still hurt deaf people's ears?
edit on 10-6-2012 by Aslpride because: (no reason given)

There ARE no 6 minute abs. (twitch twitch)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
the LRAD (Long Range Acoustic Device) shoots a directional beam of sound, so if it's not pointed directly at you, you dont get the full effect. these devices are put on cruise ships that sail through waters with a high concentration of pirates an are used to deter attacks. very good at riot control, since everyone knows that the english will never start a riot over an athletic event

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

join