It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Impossible Math Question

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5pooky
reply to post by jiggerj

Ahhh....yea. The point of this is thread is the oddity of numbers divisible by 3's. But thanks for your unrequested language lesson!

edit on 10-6-2012 by 5pooky because: (no reason given)

Well YOU"RE no fun!

Okay, I say the highest prime number is: at the beginning of time start writing 9's, as in 9999999999...
At one second before the end of time, stop writing 9's and put one 7 on the end.

Prove me wrong.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This is SO OLD.

Ancient.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jooles
Reply to post by 5pooky

Hey, if we're having fun with maths, let STEers have a go at this:

X=Y
X^2=XY
X^2-Y^2=XY-Y^2
(X+Y)(X-Y)=Y(X-Y)
X+Y=Y
2X=X
2=1
??
LOL

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

If x=y then x-y=0 and you can't divide by zero

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by 5pooky

Which sentence is correct?

1. Two and three ARE four.
2. Two and three IS four.

Which sentence is correct?

1. The egg ARE white in the middle.
2. The egg IS white in the middle.

Verbally ask your friends and family. Most will choose 2 on both questions.

edit on 6/10/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

two and three is FIVE!! ...and eggs are yellow in the middle....or purple depending on the chiten!!

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

reply to post by jiggerj

Ahhh....yea. The point of this is thread is the oddity of numbers divisible by 3's. But thanks for your unrequested language lesson!

edit on 10-6-2012 by 5pooky because: (no reason given)

Well YOU"RE no fun!

Okay, I say the highest prime number is: at the beginning of time start writing 9's, as in 9999999999...
At one second before the end of time, stop writing 9's and put one 7 on the end.

Prove me wrong.

it won't matter because we'll be dead!!! ...unless of course Time has no beginning or end and is cyclic, then it just gets all messy!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

Yep, you guys got it pretty quick!!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I know this has been around for awhile but I do enjoy odd math questions. If you have insight on this, please share. Just a fun little thread. Here is the question...

Three men go to stay at a motel and the clerk charges them $30.00 for the room. They split the cost ten dollars each. Later the manager tells the clerk that he over-charged the men and that the actual cost should have been
$25.00. He gives the clerk $5.00 and tells him to give it to the men. But he decides to cheat them and pockets $2.00. He then gives each man a dollar. Now each man has paid $9.00 to stay in the room and 3 X $9.00 = $27.00. The clerk pocketed $2.00. $27.00 + $2.00 = $29.00. So where is the other $1.00?

In 1973 when I was in 7th grade my math teacher gave us this math problem explaining it is probably the one and only valuation that doesnt add up. I always loved this math question, thanks for bringing a long pass memor to the surface. (Not that it matters but I remember this math question and this year because Mr. Hunt my math teacher was so cute I got straight a's out of shear mad crush syndrome...)peace

top topics

<< 1   >>

join