It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Particle accelerator under Vienna?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I watched an open university programme 2 years ago which showed a project (heavily underway) in i think it was vienna? It was a joint world funded particle accelerator (37k long?) running in a loop under the city of vienna.
The purpose (forgive me im no scientist) was to accelerate particles to the same speed that they would be moving at the time when the "big bang" theory came into play,special cameras would film the event so that scientists could watch the results at the split second the particles collided (re-constructing the theory of how life began and also recording to see if there is trace of elements that we dont know off)
Does any one know how far advanced this project is-and what the advantages of the experiment might be?

Regards.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Particle accelerators are old news. Many things can be done with them, even anti-matter can be created.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
www.cern.ch

this portion explains why
What for? To understand the formation of stars, earth, trees, everything you see around and, finally, us!

There are more links that go into the details of the sorts of things they will be investigating, and the other pages look at how and the like. They're looking at the forces that hold sub atomic particles togther, what particles are force carriers, all sorts of wonderful stuff.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   

top topics

join