It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are UFO believers ridiculed so much?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Societal Norms. Government and media set the tone for what is normal. Generally having ideas outside the norm invites riducule and hatred. However if you have a group of like-minded people, ridicule and scoffing will be directed at those who do not conform with the group.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastProphet527
it will get confusing and very dangerous,good idea!

The truth often is nowadays, at least when big groups of people start doing something with it.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentZoil
reply to post by kevbrownuk

Because “UFO Believers” think outside the social construct, thereby setting themselves apart from normality… And as we know, non- typical individuals cause people to fear the loss of normality.
Thinking outside the construct if strictly forbidden, but the truth is out there! Good question, thanks for posting.

Please agent dude, you have done enough to the populace of your earth, stop using words such as 'construct‘, normality' and words like fear to symbolically trick the brain from knowing what the people some 45 stories beneaththe earth no and understand about aliens and such.
edit on 10-6-2012 by LastProphet527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BoyTheEarthTalksTo

I guess the one issue I've always had is that the videos of UFOs are never that good.

That's because most of the UFO vids on youtube are generally IFOs being passed off as UFOs .
There are a few genuine UFO videos to be found though .... like the 1950 Montana & 1952 Utah UFO Film presented to the CIA's Robertson Panel report on Unidentified Flying Object

The first day, they viewed two amateur motion pictures of UFO’s: the 1950 Montana UFO Film and 1952 Utah UFO Film (the latter was taken by Navy Chief Petty Officer Delbert C. Newhouse, who had extensive experience with aerial photography). Two Navy photograph and film analysts (Lieutenants R.S. Neasham and Harry Woo) then reported their conclusions: the two films depicted objects that were not any known aircraft, creature or weather phenomena.
www.ufocasebook.com...

edit on 10-6-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoyTheEarthTalksTo

I guess the one issue I've always had is that the videos of UFOs are never that good. Can someone show me the best UFO video out?

Well this is the one i like most, Scientists in turkey say the video is authentic

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevbrownuk

Just a general question which has always bugged me.

Why are those of us who believe in UFO's ridiculed and scoffed at so much, by governments, Mainstream media etc?

Well, there's a good documentary here which raises some intriguing questions about media-government collusion, censorship and precision propaganda but I suppose it would be better first to concentrate on the definition of the term 'UFO' and all the preconceptions that surround it - here's what Project Bluebook's Dr Hynek had to say about the 'mis-interpretation of the phenomenon' from his speech at the United Nations on November 27th, 1978:

I refer, of course, to the phenomenon of UFOs... Unidentified Flying Objects... which I should like to define here simply as "any aerial or surface sighting, or instrumental recording (e.g., radar, photography, etc.) which remains unexplained by conventional methods even after competent examination by qualified persons."

You will note, Mr. Chairman, that this definition says nothing about little green men from outer space, or manifestations from spiritual realms, or various psychic manifestations. It simply states an operational definition. A cardinal mistake, and a source of great confusion, has been the almost universal substitution of an interpretation of the UFO phenomenon for the phenomenon itself.

This is akin to having ascribed the Aurora Borealis to angelic communication before we understood the physics of the solar wind.

Nonetheless, in the popular mind the UFO phenomenon is associated with the concept of extra-terrestrial intelligence and this might yet prove to be correct in some context.

link

Originally posted by kevbrownuk

However a person can go to church every day and be considered a devoted Christian. Now this is not a dig at religion or anything from it. It it just really boils my blood that we can be laughed at yet the USA's motto is 'In God We Trust'

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
'The angelic vicious program was first introduced in 1947'.

These are lessons to learn to deprogramm your self from what has been programmed in the mind of every human since 1947.

Lesson 1.Flying saucers never existed. 100% conclusive.
lesson2. Flying saucers just do not exsist.100percentage conclusive.
Lesson 3.The word flying saucer was embedded and programmed either by mistake, or on purpose.

Lesson 4.
Learn the word and origin of flying saucers.
Kenneth Arnold.

If you understand what I am talking about, we can than move to the other levels of deprogramming your self and than I will up load the new information so you all can be up to speed to wants going on today.

He is best-known for making what is generally considered the first widely reported unidentified flying object sighting in the United States, after claiming to have seen nine unusual objects flying in a chain near Mount Rainier, Washington on June 24, 1947. (See Kenneth Arnold UFO sighting)

June 26 and June 27, newspapers first began using the terms "flying saucer" and "flying Herbert Strentz, who reviewed U.S. newspaper accounts of the Arnold UFO sighting, and concluded that the term was probably due to an editor or headline writer: the body of the early Arnold news stories did not use the term "flying saucer" or "flying disc."[15] However, earlier stories did in fact credit Arnold with using terms such as "saucer", "disk", and "pie-pan" in describing the shape.

Years later, Arnold claimed he told Bill Bequette that "they flew erratic, like a saucer if you skip it across the water." Arnold felt that he had been misquoted since the description referred to the objects' motion rather than their shape.[4] Thus Bequette has often been credited with first using "flying saucer" and supposedly misquoting Arnold, but the term does not appear in Bequette's early articles. Instead, his first article of June 25 says only, "He said he sighted nine saucer-like aircraft flying in formation..."

they flew erratic, like a saucer if you skip it across the water."

Arnold felt that he had been misquoted since the description referred to the objects' motion rather than their shape

TextThus Bequette has often been credited with first using "flying saucer" and supposedly misquoting Arnold
And 2 weeks after that...Roswell.in June or July 1947

Arnold never saw flying saucers

debunker.com...
www.ufo-blog.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

This picture here,is the most important mind picture i will ever show the populice of this earth.
This specific picture is in lesson 123,but i will share with you.

This specific picture shows 3 flying saucers.

I want you to build a flying triangle space ship in your mind.
After you build the triangle spaceship in your head,i want you to fit those '3 flying saucers' underneath your triangle...and turn the engines on.
lp527 copy written june 10th 3012
What you see in your head is the only UFO that has ever exsisted on your planet.

'flying saucers' are nothing but the engines underneath the 'flying triangle space ship' just ask the first man to describe it for you.the pictures above look nothing like, a 'flying saucer'

www.unsuspectedtruth.com...

Hitler wasnt building flying saucers as they want you to believe,he was building engines to fit..well thats lesson for another time.

This is the head line that they love to programm the world with.
3 Ufos...in triangular formation.lofl.3 ufos',just sick,its just sickning.

Its just one ship with 3 engines for balance

youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

It's when people believe in a case counter to and in spite of all evidence given to the contrary, even when a case is a fairly well known hoax that many open themselves up to ridicule.

Druscilla, I've edited your post a bit in the hope that you will one day respond to the thread dealing with Dr James E. Mcdonald's statement below.

It's when people believe in the official explanation to a case counter to and in spite of all evidence given to the contrary, even when the official explanation to a case is a fairly well known hoax that many open themselves up to ridicule.

Statement:

"As a result of several trips to project Bluebook,I´ve had an opportunity to examine quite carefully and in detail the types of reports that are made by Bluebook personnel.In most cases, I have found that theres almost no correlation between so-called "evaluations and explanations" that are made by Bluebook and the facts of the case...
There are hundreds of good cases in the Air Force files that should have led to top-level scientific scrutiny of this problem,years ago,yet these cases have been swept under the rug in a most disturbing way by Project Bluebook investigators and their consultants."

Dr James McDonald -Senior physicist at the Institute for Atmospheric Physics and professor in the Department of Meteorology at the University of Arizona

Thread

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Theres a lot of people who never even watch a documentary shows on the UFO/ET mysteries.

Yet live their life in a day dream with the stupid Kardasion tv show and more worried about un-lady Gaga or dizzy Lohan.

Kinda sick when tv comes to this,so many good documentaries out there for even the non-ufo people.
Especially on space and our planet,history,etc.

I dont have cable and my converter box is useless,so I rent a movie sometimes.
Youtube documentaries,,I do love old classic tv shows,twilight zones and stuff.

Theres alot of people who dont even give a 2nd thought on the stars they see at night.

Some do make the jump more(beleive) in ghosts and haunting more I think.

Alot of people just dont care and live in a shell so to speak.
In a way nothing wrong with that,thats them.

I can create life,,I do it with my garden I have and made.
I also know I am part of a garden somewhat.

If the WWW last for another hundred yeras,,others will be reading these threads maybe?

If seas and rivers were on mars,just in our micro dust of our solar sytem(10 to the power of ?)compared to the galaxies out out there,,how could there not be life out there.(other moons here also)?

If we don't destroy ourselves and make better peace among mankind,just imagine in another 50-60 years.
We could make a big jump,,where in our soular system we will be the UFO's.

But I also think there are ET's/UFO's here to.

I don't know where to go on this much farther.

S&F

M

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Good question. Yet a big chunk of the worlds population gets away with believing that a bearded man in sandals created us and the world we live in and then created him self in human form to come down here for a bit of a jolly.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Believing in UFO's is no big deal and has only been around a few decades mainstream so knocking on a believers head may be considered as trying to nip it in the bud with common sense and reality as a starting point.

Religion is way older and trying to get through to that single-minded and prominent belief is pointless most of the time. It is embracing personal weakness and responsibility. An NO, my opinion isn't open for discussion so all replies in that field are pointless.

UFO's exist, Aliens have not been proven.
Religion exisits, but god has not been proven.

Until someone can prove the latter part of the above two beliefs, I will continue to refrain from embracing them. Sorry, but the ball is in your court.

I am glad to be a skeptic. Without skeptics the world would be inhabited by morons.

I have seen a UFO myself and am still a skeptic.

Maybe the ridicule you feel is the quiet truth about what you believe in.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Yeah right.. maybe that's the case with skeptics hanging around UFO/conspiracy sites, but most people haven't researched jack # and will still ridicule it out of hand, either out of ignorance or just sheer narrow-mindedness.

People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by robhines

Originally posted by BoyTheEarthTalksTo
Can someone show me the best UFO video out?

Not sure what better footage is out there, but from 2:35 here is good stuff :

If anyone has better, please post it.

The video you've posted is well documented as skydivers doing a demonstration night jump with meteor flares.

There ya go.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLaughingGod

Yeah right.. maybe that's the case with skeptics hanging around UFO/conspiracy sites, but most people haven't researched jack # and will still ridicule it out of hand, either out of ignorance or just sheer narrow-mindedness.

People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it.
From what I have seen here, the "skeptics" seem to be the ones most hated. Then I guess it is all a matter of perception
edit on 10-6-2012 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Druscilla, I've edited your post a bit in the hope that you will one day respond to the thread dealing with Dr James E. Mcdonald's statement below.

It's when people believe in the official explanation to a case counter to and in spite of all evidence given to the contrary, even when the official explanation to a case is a fairly well known hoax that many open themselves up to ridicule.

Statement:

"As a result of several trips to project Bluebook,I´ve had an opportunity to examine quite carefully and in detail the types of reports that are made by Bluebook personnel.In most cases, I have found that theres almost no correlation between so-called "evaluations and explanations" that are made by Bluebook and the facts of the case...
There are hundreds of good cases in the Air Force files that should have led to top-level scientific scrutiny of this problem,years ago,yet these cases have been swept under the rug in a most disturbing way by Project Bluebook investigators and their consultants."

Dr James McDonald -Senior physicist at the Institute for Atmospheric Physics and professor in the Department of Meteorology at the University of Arizona

Thread

Cheers.

I don't disagree with your statement turning mine on it's head.
Zombie-like acceptance of any explanation without personal research and verification, and/or ratification from several other credible sources is not the best approach.

Too often, however, it would seem, the majority consensus typically appears to equal "I don't know what it is, so it must be aliens".

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Some ridicule UFO believers whilst I as a Christian, will try my best to teach you that all is not what it seems.
An illusion has been created for you to guide your beliefs. Let me explain how it's done.

From yesterday's article about UFOs showing up at the Olympics...
"He added: 'Aliens may possess weapons or advanced technology we’ve no idea of. Aliens may have invisibility, a death ray, teleportation, force fields and other things we can't even guess at.
'Beyond this, unity is key, but as history dictates, this is not so easy.
'The logical course is to unite the world against the alien threat, combining our military strength and fighting under the United Nations. But some countries might not fight.
'We saw this type of treachery and cowardice in the Second World War. Though some brave people joined the Resistance, much of France accepted Nazi occupation."

Can you SEE wha one of your 'expert UFO spokesman" is doing? He is labelling anyone who refuses to "UNITE" under the UNITED NATIONS a COWARD and a TRAITOR. People, without any higher truth, are susceptible to propaganda and indoctrination - he's just now planted a subliminal message that if read enough times will start to change YOUR BELIEFS. This is NWO - and he's using the fantasy that he created for you. - against you. It would be laughable that you believe it if it wasn't so tragic that you cannot SEE the time in which you live. Jesus healed the blind so that they could SEE and he healed the deaf so that they could HEAR. I wasn't physically blind or deaf, but He gave me SIGHT and HEARING. The moment that anyone calls out to God with an earnest and humble heart for faith to believe, He does the same.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I don't disagree with you but regardless of what you described, belief in aliens is considered not normal. For example, that guy with the crazy hair from ancient aliens is often ridiculed. Belief in aliens is just not normal main stream thinking.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZetaRediculian

I don't disagree with you but regardless of what you described, belief in aliens is considered not normal. For example, that guy with the crazy hair from ancient aliens is often ridiculed. Belief in aliens is just not normal main stream thinking.

The guys on ancient aliens aren't ridiculed because they believe in aliens. They are ridiculed because EVERY THING IN THE WORLD IS ALIENS. Ancient site we don't know much about? Aliens. Religion? Aliens. Art? Aliens. Sound waves? Aliens.

It's ridiculous. That is why they are ridiculed. It's really quite common for people to believe in the possibility of life elsewhere in the cosmos. Statistically speaking, it's almost a given. Where people expose themselves to ridicule is when they begin insisting on elaborate alternate realities and can't provide a shred of substantial evidence for their extraordinary claims. Some Sagan guy said something about that once.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
You have decades of disinformation campaigns and pathetic "studies" by the military to blame. It's ridiculous because TPTB want it to be ridiculous. Consider: Phoenix sighting. Very important sighting imo, and the governor calls a press conference, saying they caught those responsible. And his aide comes onto the stage wearing an alien costume. Pretty clear disinformation tactic to me - and once again, TPTB make a joke out of it. Ergo, you take it seriously, YOU are a joke.

Been that way for awhile - try to get a news anchor to talk about a UFO without cracking a smile. Doesn't happen. I loved when Larry King took it seriously - they need more of that.. a lot more.. before mainstream thinking changes.
edit on 10-6-2012 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

That it is ridiculous is an opinion shared by the main stream and you (and me). Now if this was reversed - "what if it was true?" let's say this was accepted as a main stream idea, scoffing and ridicule would not be so easy.

Just think of It terms of any group that is different and how they are viewed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join