It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are UFO believers ridiculed so much?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logical one

Originally posted by ConspiracyReally

Well I just plain disagree. I know of all these issues/explanations. And I've thought about it and researched it a ton. There are too many amazing cases with amazingly credible witnesses for me to believe it's all man made or new natural phenomenon..

Too many amazing cases?

I've heard a small number of cases that sound incredible.........but when investigated in more detail the cases tend to fall apart.......or the evidence isn't backed up.

Tell me which cases you think stand up to scrutiny?

There are a lot!

Rendelsham Forest UFO for starters.

And please don't post articles about it being a hoax from the BBC.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

There are a lot!

With me being from the UK, I've followed with interest the Rendlesham Forest case.
Again at first the case sounds incredible, but on deeper investigation things do seem to be explainable without an ET explanation.
I can't claim to know what exactlly went on..........but I have a few ideas........and none involve ET.
For starters these events happened between Christmas and New Year.
Even today as I stated in an earlier post sightings of strange lights and UFOs get a boost during Christmas and New Year..........could it be that ET just likes to visit us more during these times?
I somehow doubt it...............lots of sightings today are simply Chinese Lanterns.
Now if Chinese Lanterns are mistaken as UFOs even today........just think how odd they must have looked to people back in the UK in the early 1980s!

There are other possibilities but I won't bore you with those but suffice to say.......whilst intitially the Rendlesham Forest incident looks impressive......... under closer scrutiny I have to cross it off my list of "ET definitely paid us a visit" cases.

edit on 19-6-2012 by Logical one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevbrownuk
Just a general question which has always bugged me.

Why are those of us who believe in UFO's ridiculed and scoffed at so much, by governments, Mainstream media etc?

However a person can go to church every day and be considered a devoted Christian. Now this is not a dig at religion or anything from it. It it just really boils my blood that we can be laughed at yet the USA's motto is 'In God We Trust'

This article talks about it.

www.rense.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kevbrownuk

What you should be boiled at is that you believe a full blown deception perpetuated by the same gov'ts that deny you disclosure. But you have to see the deception before you can know there is one. I do not scoff or ridicule I think it is so important that you see how you are being deceived tho. If you see any part of this as a deception ?
Then for Gods sake ask yourself why ?

The answers are very deep but not at all hidden. They come to you from antiquity and were here all along.

edit on 19-6-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I think it's fear and a subconscious arrogance. Us humans think we are the top of the heap, so what could be better? Then again, the thought that there's someone or something out there vastly more advanced, is a frightening idea. For all our "ultimate" weaponry, we would be no threat to a race that can travel light years. I honestly think some just can't imagine the size of the Universe. I've talked to people who think our solar system IS the Universe and don't know other stars are suns, just like ours. Well, not exactly, but you know what I mean. Hmmm, guess you could throw plain 'ol ignorance in there too.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64 I honestly think some just can't imagine the size of the Universe. I've talked to people who think our solar system IS the Universe and don't know other stars are suns, just like ours. Well, not exactly, but you know what I mean. Hmmm, guess you could throw plain 'ol ignorance in there too.

Whilst I am no expert about the universe or its contents, you have brought up a solid point about most people being ignorant of the stars etc, I have family members who don't know what stars are, and even more disconcerting I have friends who didn't even know the distance the moon was from the Earth.........I guess for many people they have no interest in what happens outside of Earth, because it rarely effects their every day lives.

Back to the vastness of space, I always argue that many ET UFO believers probably are ignorant of the vast distances between stars, yes aliens may well be super advanced.........but it is STILL going to take a huge effort for aliens to travel those vast distances.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Logical one

I agree. Imagine the technology a race would have to have to cross interstellar space and do it quickly enough to be relevant to the society they came from. With current technology, we would take thousands of years to reach even the closest star. By then, we would be forgotten and ships would have been built to cross that distance much, much faster.
Maybe that's why we haven't been formally contacted. Other than a study in barbaric civilizations, we're just not important enough.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Because those who decide what we are competent enough to learn of decided that we are too stupid to handle things that are out of the ordinary or unusual or unexplainable. To discount anyone who might believe.. and not only believe, but approach it in a rational way... they are portrayed in the media, movies, songs, cartoons.. as tinfoil hat wearing fantasy-thinking misfits.

Or maybe its just because a lot in the UFO community are wackadoodle and dont mind displaying their wackadoodleness in front of any camera that aims their way.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

There are a lot!

With me being from the UK, I've followed with interest the Rendlesham Forest case.
Again at first the case sounds incredible, but on deeper investigation things do seem to be explainable without an ET explanation.
I can't claim to know what exactlly went on..........but I have a few ideas........and none involve ET.
For starters these events happened between Christmas and New Year.
Even today as I stated in an earlier post sightings of strange lights and UFOs get a boost during Christmas and New Year..........could it be that ET just likes to visit us more during these times?
I somehow doubt it...............lots of sightings today are simply Chinese Lanterns.
Now if Chinese Lanterns are mistaken as UFOs even today........just think how odd they must have looked to people back in the UK in the early 1980s!

There are other possibilities but I won't bore you with those but suffice to say.......whilst intitially the Rendlesham Forest incident looks impressive......... under closer scrutiny I have to cross it off my list of "ET definitely paid us a visit" cases.

edit on 19-6-2012 by Logical one because: (no reason given)

Yeah, because Chinese lanterns have hieroglyphs. ; )

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64 I honestly think some just can't imagine the size of the Universe. I've talked to people who think our solar system IS the Universe and don't know other stars are suns, just like ours. Well, not exactly, but you know what I mean. Hmmm, guess you could throw plain 'ol ignorance in there too.

Whilst I am no expert about the universe or its contents, you have brought up a solid point about most people being ignorant of the stars etc, I have family members who don't know what stars are, and even more disconcerting I have friends who didn't even know the distance the moon was from the Earth.........I guess for many people they have no interest in what happens outside of Earth, because it rarely effects their every day lives.

Back to the vastness of space, I always argue that many ET UFO believers probably are ignorant of the vast distances between stars, yes aliens may well be super advanced.........but it is STILL going to take a huge effort for aliens to travel those vast distances.

Absolutely it will take a HUGE effort. Or maybe not!!! Quantum mechanics is teaching us that particles can exist in two places at once. We're discovering that there might be a faster particle than light. We are discovering new things about our own planet every day (there's a lady who can see 100 million colors). I imagine of all there is to know out there, we've maybe figured out .0001% of it all? Surely there are ET civilizations that have at least made it to the 5% range.

My hypothesis honestly is that aliens visit our planet just like we visit others... with satellites! Imagine if you were a martian on Mars and you saw one of our satellites. There would be no green or white humanoids to be seen, and if the craft was using super advanced anti-gravity or even teleportation, it would have all kinds of strange qualities - maybe disappearing and reappearing, hovering in a wobbly fashion, slowly moving and then zooming into outer space... etc

And let's not forget... we're assuming that the nearest intelligence is in another solar system. When just about every month, we find increased evidence for life - at the very least, microbial - in our very own solar system. It's funny when you look at renderings of planets. Earth is all detailed with its geography and diverse colors. The other planets have these very basic colors and stuff, because we only understand them on a very basic level.
edit on 20-6-2012 by ConspiracyReally because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Yeah, because Chinese lanterns have hieroglyphs. ; )

But who saw hieroglyphs?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

My hypothesis honestly is that aliens visit our planet just like we visit others... with satellites! Imagine if you were a martian on Mars and you saw one of our satellites. There would be no green or white humanoids to be seen, and if the craft was using super advanced anti-gravity or even teleportation, it would have all kinds of strange qualities - maybe disappearing and reappearing, hovering in a wobbly fashion, slowly moving and then zooming into outer space... etc

Well that can't be discounted as a possibility............although my view is that known & unknown natural phenomena in addition to known & super secret military aircraft & deliberate hoaxes account for UFO sightings.
I just haven't seen enough concrete evidence to suggest ET is in any way involved.
Even the strangest cases only have pretty weak "evidence" to support any ET visitation.

There are a number of unusual cases that is for sure..........but my take on these are that an unusual event occurs such as satellite or secret air craft crash or even rare natural phenomena, this event breeds speculation and even UFO talk of the "alien" kind. Several decades later as in the Roswell,Rendlesham Forest,& Shag Harbour cases, "witnesses" will come forward, knowing how much interest these cases have garnered amongst the UFO community...........and they spin their tales of seeing "aliens"........in other words they are just telling the UFO researchers what they want to hear, either because they know they might be able to make a fast buck, or they just want to contribute to the mythology of the event.
That's my view anyway.

edit on 20-6-2012 by Logical one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The truth is there are a lot of "nuts" that are attracted to paranormal subjects and the UFO topic. There is an incredible amount of ridiculous garbage out there as well. Look, I'm incredibly open minded, and a believer in the UFO phenomena, but I still read things every day that make me shake my head because it is so over the top and unreasonable. I may get flack for this, but I question a lot of abductee stories... I question a lot of UFO articles I read… and some I just write off as total crap. I can see how those on the outside can view Ufology.

You have to question what you read or hear from others, that is the mark of a good investigator. The best investigators are open minded, but always a bit skeptical as well. There is a serious minded, scientific approach to investigating UFOs and there is a naive, uneducated approach as well. Unfortunately there are many that follow the latter route, and they are the ones who make grand claims to know the truth, when they really don't know any more than the rest of us. They are the ones who give Ufology a bad name, and perpetuate the ridicule.

This is an issue that I will be discussing quite a bit in my new blog UFO Perspectives(link below), Ufology needs to be taken more seriously and needs to be embraced by the scientific community. I will be trying to create a successful blog which campaigns for Ufology, and approaches the subject in a reasonable, and serious minded way.

Blog: UFO Perspectives

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
The subject is ridiculed because of the ridiculous elements that come with it. New agers who channel space aliens, cults that off themselves so they can hop on a space ship in the after life, hoaxers, charlatans, frauds, etc. The list is extremely long. Unfortunately, these elements tend to make the most noise, and hence get the negative attention warranted from the "mainstream" media. Not ALL of the attention the subject receives is negative, but I think some of the skepticism and derision is justified.

You can't really expect everyone out there to be so interested in UFOlogy that they have read all the case studies and books and have a good grasp of the facts lying underneath all the garbage. Those who HAVE done the research, are convinced something is going on. Where UFOlogy goes wrong is when we have people who loudly proclaim they know the true nature of the phenomenon. Until we approach it scientifically with healthy skepticism (and this form of inquiry is more predominant than the nut job fringe elements) the negative press will continue.
edit on 10-6-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

When you've got fat middle aged spinsters claiming to be in contact with the galactic federation/ ashtar command its easy to see why the UFO movement is often ridiculed - their half arsed announcments of alien mothership arrival draw plenty of attention and following the inevitable no show they get hammered without mercy by the online community ( see blossom goodchild )

The book of urantia and christ michael crowd announced a mass evacuation of the human race would take place last new years eve - on january 1st the best excuse they could offer was that the ascended masters decided that too many people were intoxicated on new years eve to make a safe evacuation so they postponed it till a later date - now with insane drivel like that being spouted its easy to see why UFO believers are given such a hard time .

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by GiodanoBruno

Originally posted by RAY1990
reply to post by GiodanoBruno

Non of those links mentioned Aliens or Extraterrestrials and also just no
when I have seen UFO's the bloody last thing I would thing are little green men I observe and make conclusions upon movement, speed, angle trajectory etc.
Just the other day I identified a satellite (but it was flown by the grays
) So no absolutely no Aliens in my mind

Also for your info the Norway case is a phenomenon that a few people have worked on I have read no reports of spaceships and little green men, nothing of the sort.

So are you some aeronautical space engineer? or do you just spout out unfounded and non researched nonsense like me?

I suggest you read a bit more clearly what you posted. Did you even read what you posted? I did. Do you even know who Martin Shough is? I do? He is a moron alien believer. An alien perv. Go right ahead check for yourself. So you posted two links from this guy and you say you don't believe or stated on this thread that you are not in support of alien influence(or belief). Sure

And what is with the comment about you identifying a satellite and knowing it was flown by a gray. Are you being sarcastic? If you are you suck at it(hence your lack of grammar input).

No I am not an aeronautical space engineer. But you don't see me posting jargon of aliens being behind phenomenas and ufo's or crop circles.

Name one thing that I have posted that is unfounded or un-researched. I dare you

I'm not going to bother looking up what you have posted because frankly I could not give a crap and yes I was being sar-#ing-castic by my post I was demonstrating ( by actual fact how people seen it) how dumb #ers jump to conclusions and yes the person I linked may be a alien believer but pick a floor in his research and get back to me. also I HAVE NEVER OR NEVER WILL JUMP TO THE ALIEN HYPOTHESIS NOT WITHOUT REAL EVIDENCE.

Name one thing that I have posted that is unfounded or un-researched. I dare you

also I won't find nothing on these topics posted by you because you stick with the easy and obvious and don't even try to debate just ridicule..... grow a pair you dick

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Oy vey Bruno...

It DOES NOT MATTER WHAT OUR LIMITATIONS - in knowledge, innovation and even biologically speaking - are with space travel. We are talking about beings that are theoretically more advanced than us, in every respect, possibly even biologically. The smartest people on this planet regularly theorize about alien life and how they could visit us. I am not alone. You are simply NOT GETTING IT.

The fact that you can't imagine an alien race that haven't created space traveling technology and even aging is amazing to me. Intelligence is nothing without perspective and imagination. You live in a very tiny world.

edit on 18-6-2012 by ConspiracyReally because: (no reason given)

I do get it. Theories are theories. Which have no connection with UFreakinOs.

Get it?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GiodanoBruno

reply to post by GiodanoBruno

Non of those links mentioned Aliens or Extraterrestrials and also just no
when I have seen UFO's the bloody last thing I would thing are little green men I observe and make conclusions upon movement, speed, angle trajectory etc.
Just the other day I identified a satellite (but it was flown by the grays
) So no absolutely no Aliens in my mind

Also for your info the Norway case is a phenomenon that a few people have worked on I have read no reports of spaceships and little green men, nothing of the sort.

So are you some aeronautical space engineer? or do you just spout out unfounded and non researched nonsense like me?

I suggest you read a bit more clearly what you posted. Did you even read what you posted? I did. Do you even know who Martin Shough is? I do? He is a moron alien believer. An alien perv. Go right ahead check for yourself. So you posted two links from this guy and you say you don't believe or stated on this thread that you are not in support of alien influence(or belief). Sure

And what is with the comment about you identifying a satellite and knowing it was flown by a gray. Are you being sarcastic? If you are you suck at it(hence your lack of grammar input).

No I am not an aeronautical space engineer. But you don't see me posting jargon of aliens being behind phenomenas and ufo's or crop circles.

I'm not going to bother looking up what you have posted because frankly I could not give a crap and yes I was being sar-#ing-castic by my post I was demonstrating ( by actual fact how people seen it) how dumb #ers jump to conclusions and yes the person I linked may be a alien believer but pick a floor in his research and get back to me. also I HAVE NEVER OR NEVER WILL JUMP TO THE ALIEN HYPOTHESIS NOT WITHOUT REAL EVIDENCE.

also I won't find nothing on these topics posted by you because you stick with the easy and obvious and don't even try to debate just ridicule..... grow a pair you dick

I don't have to pick a floor with someone that believes in aliens taxing around earth.... Its obvious you did. If you NEVER or EVER have jumped to the "alien assumption" without evidence ,then why post a link from Martin Shough? Which means your argument lacks research... Bit gay of you if you ask me. You sound really confused and troubled.

And isn't "easy,practical and obvious" the truth? I'm afraid so Ray.

Ridicule? Who's calling who a "Dick"?

Cheers mate

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Untill we get warp drive the aliens won't come to say hello

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
The answers are very deep but not at all hidden. They come to you from antiquity and were here all along.

Randy, you have nothing to offer but your own mind control, and/or condemnation of anyone who doesn't share your opinions.

Sorry. The "aliens are demons," meme is repetitive, and has become boring. Fundamentalist Christian trolling is fine, (as it can actually be highly entertaining) but I would request that you get some new material.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Sorry. The "aliens are demons," meme is repetitive, and has become boring. Fundamentalist Christian trolling is fine, (as it can actually be highly entertaining) but I would request that you get some new material.

It's not my material.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join