It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Die (More Often) On Their Birthdays?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Yes, it seems to be true. Statistically, there is a greater chance that you will die on your birthday, than any of the other 364 days of the year:

www.independent.co.uk...

It emerges that we are 14 per cent more likely to die on our birthday, according to new research based on a study of more than two million people.

The reasons for this higher-than-average birthday death rate are so far speculative. The (unusual) death rate increases with age, which I find odd. I would assume that young people are more prone to kill themselves accidentally than old people, but then again I know little of how old people celebrate their birthdays. Do they eat cake? Do they get pissed out of their heads and climb the balcony railing with a bottle of Jack Daniels in each hand? Or... do they simply invite the wrong clown?

The researchers say there are two competing explanations for the phenomenon. The postponement theory suggests that seriously ill people can somehow hold on until their birthday has passed, as they try to reach the milestone.

If this theory is valid and we can learn to control it, it will be of great value to humanity. Then we can plan that trip to Naples before our pre-fixed death date.

Now I'm waiting for the study that shows how many people die in unusually higher numbers at other people's B-day parties.
edit on 10-6-2012 by Heliocentric because: The passing days and months are eternal travelers in time

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heliocentric
If this theory is valid and we can learn to control it, it will be of great value to humanity. Then we can plan that trip to Naples before our pre-fixed death date.

I think it may be, as I know several cases in which people died only after reaching some goal in their life.

Now, that can be seen in two ways: either they could postpone their death or they didn't see a reason for live after reaching their goal.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Did you have to bring this thread up on my dad's birthday?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by BarmyBilly
Did you have to bring this thread up on my dad's birthday?

Yes, unfortunately it was necessary.

There' still (depending on his age) a 85% chance that he'll survive his B-day, so cling on to that shred of hope.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Oh goodness. I hope that it isnt true. My birthday is this Friday.

So if you guys notice Im gone after Thurs (I'm probably not logging on for a few days after that), it was good knowing all of you !

edit on 11-6-2012 by blackmetalmist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join