It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reply and lose your place. Frustrating!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
When a thread gets to 4,10, 198 pages long, whenever I post a reply I am taken to the very last page of the thread and I have NO idea what page I wasn before then. Any chance of opening a new window when clicking on reply, or quote?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I open replies in a new browser tab to avoid this problem. Hope it helps.
ETA In other words, I right click the reply button and click "Open in new tab", paste my reply from notepad (well, gedit but close enough) into the browser, hit Post Reply and then close the tab and refresh the original tab. It will keep your position.
edit on 10/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by jiggerj

I open replies in a new browser tab to avoid this problem. Hope it helps.
ETA In other words, I right click the reply button and click "Open in new tab", paste my reply from notepad (well, gedit but close enough) into the browser, hit Post Reply and then close the tab and refresh the original tab. It will keep your position.

I know, I know. I keep forgetting to do that. I'm getting old and...what's your name again?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

yes, I often open a new tab...that way I can see what I am replying to, and I don't lose my place...and I'm not so young anymore, either

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
If you forget you can always just use the back bar. Hit it twice.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I wouldn't exactly describe myself as a spring chicken anymore.
I'm young at heart though.

ETA And yes, many was the time that I started enthusiastically with my reply only to find I needed to refer to the thing I was replying to. Writing it first in notepad helps me too.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

notepad helps.
a lot.
or at least COPY.

I was making what I thought was a really great message.....I went to hit reply...and ZAP....BOOM....my browser unlogged me from ATS...and I lost the clever remarks.

Just a warning.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

notepad helps.
a lot.
or at least COPY.

I was making what I thought was a really great message.....I went to hit reply...and ZAP....BOOM....my browser unlogged me from ATS...and I lost the clever remarks.

Just a warning.

Twice I have written BRILLIANT new threads and forgot to add a subject line. Hit the back button. All gone! AHHH!

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Some people use replies in the message center but I am not sure how reliable it is.

Best to open a duplicate tab and use the second for replying, while refreshing the first tab(F5).

What I normally do is MyATS and remember what page I posted on to continue from that point on.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

If you are replying to a specific post, when your answer appears on the last page you could just hit the highlighted green 'reply to post by..........' link which will appear at the top of your post (such as the one at the top of this post) and it will open up a new page right at the post you've just replyed to...

Just a thought.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Just a thought for anyone using Firefox. There is an add-on called Lazarus.

Lazarus: Form Recovery 2.3
by The Interclue Team

Never lose anything you type into a web form again! Lazarus securely auto-saves all forms as you type, so after a crash, server timeout, or whatever, you can go back to the form, right click, "recover form", and breathe a sigh of relief.

This has become a life saver for me. Also you can go back and see what you wrote and the time whenever you want.

If you lose your work, go back to reply, and right click Lazarus recovery for text or form, and it types it all out for you

addons.mozilla.org...

I also figured since I sent this, there is also another great tool for those of us that write lots of threads, or research, and dont want to use your download speed.

You can go to any site and actually download it as a PDF and read whenever you want.

Print pages to Pdf 0.1.7.1
by The Ripper

Creates one Pdf from any amount of open Browsertabs,Bookmarks/-folder, Scrapbook(Plus) pages. This document can be archived, sended by e-mail or printed out with any standard Pdf Viewer.

addons.mozilla.org...

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
For those that have a middle mouse button, clicking a link with that opens up a new tab for you. I love that feature, only way I click reply now. It works that way with firefox and konquerer at least.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Thank you for that, just tested and IT WORKS!

Yay!

Now I must just remember to use it!
edit on 11/6/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf
reply to post by jiggerj

If you are replying to a specific post, when your answer appears on the last page you could just hit the highlighted green 'reply to post by..........' link which will appear at the top of your post (such as the one at the top of this post) and it will open up a new page right at the post you've just replyed to...

Just a thought.

That reply to post by doesn't work for me. Anyone else? I click and click and nothing happens. Thanks for trying though.

new topics

top topics

join