It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

>>> Your Job/Career & Why You Chose It <<<

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I've been perusing the job ads and I have to tell you that looking some of the job descriptions makes me wonder why in the world *anyone* would apply for them. WTF are employers thinking?

I trained to be do Pastry, which I did fairly successfully (despite the fact that the natives where I live have the most uncultured palates on the planet) until my food intolerances got the best of me and I ended up with full-blown celiac disease. Obviously it's out of the question for me to return to this profession - despite my having opened the doors to nicer pastries in this place all those years ago.

So I'm wondering: What made you study what you did and are you working in that field? Why made you apply for that job and what gets you excited about it still? If you're feeling like the job is getting a little stale, what will you look for next and why?

Actually anything related to these questions generally are welcome to be discussed. I'd just like to know that there are still interesting jobs for people who are real human beings...not the creatures employers seem to think of as suitable candidates for the absolutely mortifying jobs on offer.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I worked in the lab of a chocolate factory as QC. I never should have left.

Chocolate production is fascinating, especially when you're responsible for tons of it.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I went to school for nursing, got my RN and went to work in a hospital on a medical/ surgical floor which taught me alot about the overall care of patients and also how best to deal with families, I now work in a trauma center and wouldn't change it for anything. Each day brings it's own challenges and is never quite the same as the one before. I like never knowing what's going to come through the door next and also working in this field lets me work 3 days a week and spend the other 4 with my son, and I have to say the pay isn't that bad!!

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Thank you for your replies. I have also done QC, at a record pressing plant, when I was very young and could still stay up all night.
I had forgotten all about that. Thanks for reminding me.

I studied medical lab in my youth as well. Hospital life was discovered to be ... not so good for me and although I had wanted to ultimately study pathology, just doing my internship was enough to reveal that it was not going to happen. I loved the lab work itself. It was the hospital policies and attitudes that put me right off it. I had internships in three different hospitals, obviously in the same town, but it was more horrifying than I could really bear. This was thirty years ago. I shudder to think what it must be like now.

Is no one else going to contribute? That alone is quite telling. People don't have passion enough for what they're doing to write a blurb here to discuss it. Or then their jobs are so nondescript that there's nothing to say? Hmm. So many things it could be. It's a pity. I see so many people bragging about how great their careers are and how they have so much expertise. It would have been a good discussion.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

I knew very early on that I could never work for anyone; Despising authority, not playing well with others and being from Texas. So I taught myself the skills of manipulating materials, wood, metal, clay, leather etc, and used them to make things and sell them. I had a fantastic career as an artisan/designer-craftsman. I also had sidelines as a performing street musician, flyfishing guide and outfitter and now my current passion as a SAG/AFTRA actor, filmmaker, producer/director, screenwriter. And most of all..... I want to thank ATS and it's members for supplying me with such fantastic inspiration and material for my films and documentaries.

My advice to young folks is to find your passion, learn all you can about it, and dedicate yourselves to it in an
almost religious way. Take chances because in failure there is knowledge. Live your dreams...

S&F

edit on 12-6-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Now that's the stuff I'm looking for. That's precisely it! Thanks!

I tell my own children the same thing. Their father then advises them to get an education so they will always have a job. Who the bloody hell wants a job? I want a passion. I want to be fired up every morning to get busy with my day. I do not want to sit at a desk again and waste precious hours of my life for worthless paper. I don't get my life back once that time is gone! It's not worth *money*!

You wouldn't happen to be a Capricorn, would you?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
A pimp lots of money women and oh the stds
just kidding auto tech im my own boss and work at my leisure

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ed1320

So what made you choose that as your profession? Why do you want to own your business over working for someone else?

I owned a pastry business in the 90s and there was nothing leisurely about it. It was first doing the work, making deliveries and then doing the books before I could think about taking care of my family. Sleep was a luxury. Not too much leisure time involved. I didn't even make much money at it after all the expenses were paid.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

I choose to create my own income stream(s) for the very simple reason that I don't want my income controlled by another person. I don't want someone to able to tell me "You're fired!" and then there I am, either not able to pay my bills, or if I'm lucky, using earmarked savings to pay them.

I have of course worked for other people. My first job was at 17 and I started my own business at 18. That's kind a joke, but technically true. At the time, my "business" made approximately $100 a month. So not nearly enough to live on, but a good start. I continued working a real job and running a side business(es) on my own until the age of 23 when I "retired" from the working world. What drove me to do it?

I constantly was afraid I was going to get in trouble or be fired, over stupid things. I mean if you get sick and you call in, you can't control that. And I'm not talking about someone who calls in over and over and lies about it. I worked a job for 1 year and 4 months, and over that time I called in ONE TIME. When I got to work the next day, my manager accused me of lying.

Why? I don't know, but I was horribly confused and I hated the out of control feeling it gave me. I couldn't figure out why she would think I was lying: I was a good or at least decent worker, I had never called in before, I looked and sounded ill, I had a note from the doctor and a prescription in my purse. Then the doubts set in...is she asking me this because she hates me and wants to fire me or force me to quit?

I don't know. But, enough. Emotionally I couldn't handle working for someone else. Outwardly I appeared normal but the thoughts in my head were constantly in a worried state. Constantly. At home I'd worry about work. At work I'd worry about work.

Then there's the part where if you don't agree ethically with something, but you do it anyway because you have to because your employer said. I don't mean illegal, I mean against your personal ethics. It doesn't feel good to do something wrong. It doesn't feel good to -in the course of your job- royally screw someone.

Now? I never worry about work. I have built multiple streams of income, some passive. If one thing tanks I have other legs in my support system. I never worry about making money because knowing so many ways to do so makes me feel powerful and in control.

Of course, some people don't have the emotional strength to work for themselves. They worry. The opposite of me, the are content working for someone else. Depends on how your brain works.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

That's exactly the conclusion I've come to as well. I have over thirty years of continuous work experience behind me on two continents and in a variety of fields. I am one of those people who can learn anything and do anything. I work as well with others as I do alone. I do not need a manager but when I have one I expect him/her to be better than me. When has that ever been true? Hmm.. I can't remember one, and I have an excellent memory.

Can you tell me what line(s) of work you are engaged in? I'm interested because I also just dabble here and there, collecting small amounts of income to whatever extent the person I work for is able to pay. It's not a business per se. It's just something to help out certain people in my sphere of friends. They are all professional divorced women with kids at home so I do their weekly cleaning, pet care, plant care, and so forth. In return I get to meditate while I work.
No bosses at all. It's a mutually beneficial relationship.

If you don't want to post it on the board here, can you pm it to me? I'm trying to give my daughters examples of what they could be doing too. They have no work experience yet, having been in school until now, and are therefore "unemployable". Weird employment policies at play in the world today.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

I started off leaving school at the age of sixteen, I always had high grades but was determined to leave the (dysfunctional) family home at this age. Started working for a bank and over ten years later, I now have a CV with no fewer than twenty jobs on it. I would start a new job in a new sector every few months and get bored of it very fast or it got bored of me.

Around a few years back I reached a point where I was going to lose my home due to being made redundant once again

I decided to research the law, spotted flaws in my financial agreement and challenged a unilateral notice that was attached to my home which meant I successfully kept my house without having to pay a penny to a finance company. The jobs over the years helped with this too.

At that point I began to forget worrying about money, go with the flow and let things happen rather than having demands or expectations about money, career or anything similar.

I am now running my own business entertaining others with hypnosis, which was an early dream of mine that I thought I had buried completely.

Looking back, I always wanted to do something different, always wanted to be my own boss, never liked the idea of answering to a corporate order taker either. I systematically ruined any chance of a career, any chance of being employed by a corporation and in a strange turn of events I was always following the dreams I had.

Just took me a while to realise that

The biggest thing for me though was unshackling the fear, just seeing where life leads, throwing yourself into it and never ever listening to what anyone else tells you to do, what you can do or you can become.

If anything now, I think that sometimes what you are meant to do finds you, you just have to keep your eyes open to spot it coming along.

edit on 13-6-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Thank you for your input! That's the sort of thing I really like seeing. The point I want people to assess is what they are doing and why. There is no judgment of whatever route that follows: How can there be? What is important is to own what you do and why you do it.

As employees, we have been disenfranchised by employment policies to the point that education is merely job training because employers won't invest in their employees anymore. Schools should be for education, opening the mind; not for ticking boxes for job descriptions. We must be given the room to grow as people in our careers, to become what we are optimally; not to become what our next job wants us to be.

Employers need to view employees as members of the family that are helping to grow that company into what the owners had dreamed of and to take it beyond that. We cannot do that when we're stomped on, spat on, broken and marginalized.

So self-employment - following your dreams and not following the money - is the way forward. It will keep us young and vital. It gives us reasons to smile and reinforces the knowledge that we are valuable and worthy. All the more reason to go out and do it. For many, finding their passion is the problem. I have so many things I love doing that it's hard to make a coherent decision about that.

Keep writing in!! The answers are all out there!

new topics

top topics

join