It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My niece sent home from school for NOT wearing a hoodie

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anunaki10
Oh, can you prove it never happened?

Explain how one does that.
I flew on a purple dragon yesterday.
Can you prove it never happened?

This case seems real enough...

Not one thing about it sounds real to me. Not the first version and not the second version.

Do you really think that the OP made this case up just for fun?

Not just for fun, no.

I don't think the OP made that up. I think you're the one who are saying nonsense...

Cool.

Beside, some schools require students to wear uniform, England is a good example, and to your info, according to the National Center for Educational Statistics, as of the 2007-2008 school year, 16.5% of all the public schools in the United States required students to wear uniforms...

I know many schools require uniforms. What does that have to do with this?
Show me one school that has as part of its required uniform random purchases of hoodies to be worn for one day.
Find me one.

I am not really sure what thread you were reading either.
The OP has since changed the story. No hoodie was required and no one was sent home in the second version. What are you arguing?
edit on 17-6-2012 by habitforming because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by habitforming
I flew on a purple dragon yesterday.

No you didn't.

Not one thing about it sounds real to me. Not the first version and not the second version.

And you expect me to believe your nonsense

I know many schools require uniforms.

Nice to see that YOU FINALLY ADMIT that many schools REQUIRE uniforms!...

What does that have to do with this?

The Niece's school require their students to wear hoodie as a uniform for the "Treyvon Martin" day...

Show me one school that has as part of its required uniform random purchases of hoodies to be worn for one day.

It depends if the OP really is interested to inform you about the school's name. It depends IF the OP can trust you... You know, you could be a criminal showing up and trying to destroy the niece's life... I'm not saying you're going to destroy her life, but what if you would destroy her life? Question is, are you really worth to let the OP inform you about the niece's school's name? Can you be trusted? Do you know what i think? I don't think anyone can trust you...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

No you didn't.

I said prove it.

And you expect me to believe your nonsense

I do not expect you to believe anything.

Nice to see that YOU FINALLY ADMIT that many schools REQUIRE uniforms!...

Finally admit? I never denied it. The school I went to had uniforms and that was some time ago. Are you having more than one imaginary argument here?

The Niece's school require their students to wear hoodie as a uniform for the "Treyvon Martin" day...

What does that have to do with schools that have uniforms? You are not making sense.

It depends if the OP really is interested to inform you about the school's name. It depends IF the OP can trust you... You know, you could be a criminal showing up and trying to destroy the niece's life... I'm not saying you're going to destroy her life, but what if you would destroy her life? Question is, are you really worth to let the OP inform you about the niece's school's name? Can you be trusted? Do you know what i think? I don't think anyone can trust you...

The OP does not have to reveal #. I asked you to show me one school that fits your made up scenario. Why is it that the only one you even know of is the one the OP told you about without a name? What do you know?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

What does that have to do with schools that have uniforms?

It have to do with the school that require their students to wear hoodie as a uniform for the "Treyvon Martin" day...

The OP does not have to reveal #. I asked you to show me one school that fits your made up scenario. Why is it that the only one you even know of is the one the OP told you about without a name? What do you know?

www.stripes.com...

Ramstein students put on their hoodies for Trayvon Martin - By Jennifer H. Svan Stars and Stripes Published 3. April, 2012 - RAMSTEIN AIR BASE, Germany — In a show of solidarity for slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin, more than 230 students at Ramstein High School wore hooded sweatshirts or jackets to class Tuesday as part of a peaceful demonstration they called “Hoodies Up.” The intent was to show that wearing a hoodie should not make a person appear threatening, said 17-year-old senior Caleb Guerrido, one of five students who came up with the idea of wearing hoodies to school. Martin, 17, was shot Feb. 26 by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman as he walked back to the townhouse of his father’s girlfriend in the gated community of Sanford. Zimmerman, 28, told police that Martin, who was unarmed, was wearing a dark hoodie and looked “suspicious.” He claimed that when he questioned Martin, the teen jumped him and that he shot him in self defense. The incident has sparked a national controversy. Many are angry Zimmerman hasn’t been arrested. Martin’s killing also sent ripples outside the U.S., where it triggered discussion in the seminar class of RHS math teacher Phillis Westmoreland-Allen. Students debated what happened to Martin and why over three classroom periods, she said. Guerrido and juniors Darnell Beckett and Tyree Hunter, sophomore Jason Davidson and senior Jonathan Teixeira then came up with the “Hoodies Up” idea, the students said. Since wearing a hood is against the school dress code, the students had to get the OK for the event from RHS principal Greg Hatch. Advertisement Hatch, who approved the request on condition that they get permission from their classroom teachers, said he told them that hoodies aren’t allowed in school for safety and security reasons. If something happens in the hall and a student is wearing a hoodie, it might be hard to figure out who was involved, he said. “We haven’t had a single complaint so far,” he said Tuesday afternoon. Students used social media to help spread the word about wearing a hoodie Tuesday. “We never expected it to get this big,” Hunter said. Only a handful of teachers denied requests to wear hoodies in class, students said. A few negative comments were posted to the event invitation on a Ramstein student Facebook page, said senior Iyana Hardy, 18, with some saying Martin should never have been in that neighborhood. “We do know that there are two sides to a story,” Hunter said. “Trayvon Martin is not here to tell his story.”

kykernel.com...

Students will be wearing hoodies in support of Trayvon Martin on Thursday to bring awareness to campus of his death. Trayvon Martin, 17, was shot on Feb. 26 while he was walking to his father’s girlfriend’s house from a convenience store in Florida. Martin was unarmed. George Zimmerman, 28, was a neighborhood watch volunteer, and told the police that he shot Martin in self-defense. Martin’s story has gotten national attention because Zimmerman has not been arrested. The event is sponsored by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and will take place all day on Thursday. Ashley Campbell, UK’s NAACP president, said they put the event together in order to raise awareness on campus of Martin’s death. She said students can wear any color hoodie, with the hood up or down. “I hope (students) get a taste that racism is still prevalent in the United States,” Campbell said. Campbell said she hopes students get a different outlook after this event, and learn to not judge others based on stereotypes. “I personally want for students to get the feeling that … it is wrong in general,” she said.

dailyfreepress.com...

About 40 Boston University students donned hoodies and stood around the Martin Luther King Jr. memorial in Marsh Plaza Thursday afternoon in protest of the recent death of Trayvon Martin. The students were among the many Million Hoodie Marches around the country that is in protest of the outcome of the Martin shooting. After their protest, the students, who are a part of the sociology of race and ethnicity course taught by Professor Ruha Benjamin, gathered on the BU Beach behind the plaza and continued with their discussion about Trayvon Martin, which led to analyses of how race is viewed in the media, government and entertainment industry. Benjamin and a number of students posed in their hoodies early last week for a photograph that was added to the “Million Hoodies March for Trayvon Martin” Facebook event page, along with countless others. The photograph was featured in a blog post by the New York Times Wednesday. The U.S. Justice Department announced Monday its launch of an investigation into Martin’s death. Martin was a 17-year-old black teenager who was fatally shot outside of a gated community in Sanford, Fla., by a member of the community watch in late February, according to news reports. The gunman, George Zimmerman, said he killed Martin in self-defense, even though Martin was unarmed. Zimmerman was not arrested. Florida is one of 21 states in the U.S. with the “Stand Your Ground” law, which allows a person to use lethal force rather than retreat during a fight. With the law, Florida residents are allowed to carry concealed weapons with a permit. State law allows for private sales between residents without going through the Federal Firearms License. In an op-ed for FOX News released Wednesday, Florida Rep. Dennis Barkley, who authored the bill that became the “Stand Your Ground” law, said he does not believe the law protects Zimmerman in the incident. The possibility of Zimmerman using a racial slur before shooting Martin became a source of debate in the issue after the Sanford Police Department released the 911 tapes, according to news reports. Aubrey Ruben, a sophomore in the College of General Studies, said she was appalled that it has to come to having nationwide protest for justice to be carried out. “It has gone to a point where a movement like the hoodie movement has to be made,” Ruben said. “We shouldn’t have to do this to get them to reconsider.” Arielle Sharma, a College of Arts and Sciences junior, said she could not wrap her head around the circumstances surrounding the shooting. “My ultimate plan is to be a defense lawyer, so normally when things like this come up, I am normally on the side of the guy who committing the crime,” Sharma said “But there was not a single thing that I could come up with that could justify this.” Benjamin said her two sons came to mind when she first heard about the Martin shooting. He said she considered the shooting as a type of terrorism on the black community because while it may not have hurt or effected many people physically, it has had an impact emotionally and mentally. “Basically that what these laws implicitly say is that we are going to protect guns more than we are going to protect children,” Benjamin said. “We need to take a huge deep look and transform our gun laws in this country, and this law in Florida is just one example.”

abclocal.go.com.../local&id=8602345

FCC students wear hoodies to honor Trayvon Martin - FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Some students at Fresno City College wore hoodies in honor of Florida teen Trayvon Martin -- who was shot and killed last month. Students gathered on campus near the fountain in a show of solidarity. Hoodies have become a symbol of Martin's death because some allege his "hoodie" made him look like a troublemaker. "Just because you're an African American male in America and you're wearing a hoodie doesn't necessarily mean that you're up to no good," said Kevin Miles. "I believe that anybody of any color can wear a hoodie and should not be discriminated against cause of how they look." Trayvon Martin's parents believe their unarmed son was being racially profiled when neighborhood watch volunteer, George Zimmerman, shot and killed the 17-year-old. So far, Zimmerman has not been arrested.

www.salemnews.com...

SWAMPSCOTT — Swampscott High junior Stephen Bowers wore a black hoodie to school yesterday, not to defy the dress policy but for Wear Your Hoodie Day, an event meant to raise awareness about race and appearance amid the controversy surrounding the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. "I thought it was kind of cool how the school is kind of recognizing us; I appreciate it," said Bowers, 17, who said he wore the hoodie "to show support for Trayvon." Many students like Bowers donned hooded sweatshirts — garments that have come to symbolize the debate raging about race and appearance related to the slaying of Martin on Feb. 26 in a community north of Orlando, Fla. While Swampscott High may be thousands of miles away from Sanford, Fla., the debate about the shooting has gripped the nation. Martin was shot to death in the city of Sanford on Feb. 26 as the unarmed black teenager was walking back from a convenience store after purchasing Skittles and iced tea. Investigators have said the shooter, George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, has claimed self-defense, saying he opened fire after Martin punched him in the face, knocked him to the ground and began slamming his head on the sidewalk. Black leaders and others are demanding Zimmerman's arrest on murder or manslaughter charges, but state and federal authorities are still investigating. Many feel Martin's appearance — he was wearing a hoodie — played a role in the incident. The sentiment of Wear Your Hoodie Day is that wearing a hoodie does not mean one is in a gang and should not equate to one being a hoodlum, students said. At the high school, hoodies are normally banned under the student dress policy. Skittles and iced tea were also sold in school yesterday. "It symbolizes not to pick sides," said freshman Jake Venuti about why he wore a hoodie. "Just because how you look does not mean you deserve to die over it, you know." In a statement, Principal Layne Millington said the school's Race and Membership class organized the day, and he supported the idea, though the school did not take a stand on the controversy. "I am supporting this event because it's an opportunity for students on both sides of the controversy to engage in deep and thoughtful discussions about a complex and pertinent event currently unfolding in our country," Millington said in his statement. Millington asked that dialogue on the issue be "thoughtful, relevant and respectful." Millington referred a request to meet with members of the Race and Membership class to Superintendent Lynne Celli, who could not be reached yesterday. Her office denied a request to meet with students who organized the day and forwarded Millington's statement, instead. Students outside the school yesterday talked about the event. Bowers lives in Boston and attends the high school through the Metco Program. When asked about what he thinks about the hoodie coming to mean someone who is up to no good, Bowers said: "I guess if you view it that way. You could also say that the ski mask is bad. I think hoodies are cool. Everybody wears hoodies, so, if that's the way you see it, that's the way you see it, but I don't think there is anything wrong with them." When asked how people in Boston view the controversy, Bowers said: "It's the same thing as out here. Everybody's talking how this kid got shot over having a hoodie. He was unarmed just having candy and some Skittles. They are saying how it was wrong, and how if it were to happen to one of them, it wouldn't. But it could happen to anybody."

centralny.ynn.com...

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Besides being comfortable and looking cute on first through sixth grade students at Syracuse Academy of Science, the hooded sweatshirts they are wearing are meant to send a message. “I have my hoodie on today so I can show that I want to stop violence," seventh grader Naya Carney said. The sweatshirts have come to represent the case of Trayvon Martin, a Florida high schooler who was shot and killed while wearing one. There have been hoodie marches and assemblies nationwide, which have transcended the clothes and even the teen himself. "Trayvon has become more than a name and more than a person. He's become an idea and symbol to rally behind,” Dalton Ackerman said. Trayvon Martin was the same age as students right in this school and kids and teens alike say they feel connected to him. "It feels like when I wear my hoodie, I think of him," second grader Cornell Smith said. "I relate to him. And I relate to his family. I know a lot of people who look like Trayvon who could portray Trayvon on any given day," senior class president Tamika Arnold said. At an assembly Friday, a Syracuse advocate said there are many Trayvons right in the city. The school's director says a student's uncle was killed in a shooting on the Southside just last week. Students recalled other shootings, stabbings and fights, as well as the murder of a transgendered person a few years ago. "I feel like it can be anywhere, because usually it happens up the street or down or just around the corner from your house," Smith said. "No matter where you live, there are things that go on that need to stop," said Carney. The issues are a lot, especially for the youngsters in their hoodies. But school leaders say they are proud of their students for understanding the prevalence of violence, its impact on their own lives and the importance of taking a stand against it. “It's not just Florida. It's in Syracuse. We want to make sure this positivity spreads out. It's great they're standing up and want to see a peaceful world," said Tolga Hayali, Syracuse Academy of Science Director.

uctangerine.com...

Members of the Utica College community gathered on Wednesday, April 4 to commemorate Trayvon Martin’s untimely and controversial death and to discuss the facts of the case. Hosted by the Utica College Colony of Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity Inc. and the Omicron Alpha Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., nearly 50 students and faculty met for the discussion and rally. Trayvon Martin was a 17-year-old African American who was shot and killed by neighborhood watchmen George Zimmerman on Feb. 26 in Florida. Zimmerman used the Stand Your Grand law in his defense, that says if a person feels threatened he or she may use deadly force in self-defense.

www.kenyoncollegian.com...

Students Wear Hoodies As Part of National Protest - Most days, wearing a hooded sweatshirt means it is a particularly cold morning. Last Friday, March 30, however, this outfit choice represented much more. In an effort to send a message of solidarity to the family of Trayvon Martin, who was wearing a hoodie when he died, Tess Waggoner ’13 organized Hoodie Day, a last-minute social justice event. Waggoner intended to make a gesture toward the family of a teenager whose controversial death has captivated the nation. Waggoner “noticed a void in the discourse on campus … there seemed to be a lot of people who weren’t even aware of a lot of these racially-charged incidents that were all over the news I was consuming,” she said. “It was very impulsive.” Participation on the day was hard to gauge, especially since last Friday morning was chilly, Waggoner said. “Some people just wear hooded sweatshirts because they like hooded sweatshirts,” she said. “It was a kind of cold morning, so it’s hard to know [what turnout was], but people definitely noticed and people knew people were wearing hoods for a reason.” Waggoner also collected a total of 172 signatures in support of the End Racial Profiling Act of 2011.

You're lying, you never asked anything that have to do with made up scenario 'habitforming', i told you that you can't be trusted... Haven't you figured out it's pointless of you to lie, 'habitforming'? You're wasting your time here with your bullsh!t... Beside, it's not a made up scenario...
edit on 17-6-2012 by Anunaki10 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Jun 17 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

It have to do with the school that require their students to wear hoodie as a uniform for the "Treyvon Martin" day...

That is not how school uniforms work. Schools do not just decide to suddenly implement a uniform for one day.
Not one school in the United States is doing that.

Like I said, I went to a school with uniforms. They do not just pop up and say "Tonight buy yellow shirts cuz tomorrow you will need to wear a yellow shirt." That is just not how school uniforms work and a hoodie for a holiday is not a uniform.

Now unless you can show me one single school that has this policy, I am not sure why you are arguing about it. Someone wrote something. You believe it. I do not. You are arguing on their behalf, just because you believe it. How about you go get some facts because that is the only way to get me to believe it.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Anunaki10

Not one of those schools required anyone to buy and wear a hoodie. None of those articles have stories with two opposing narratives.

Look, the OP said one thing and then went back on it all and said something completely different. If you want to believe BOTH stories are true, go for it. I believe neither. Yes, people had TM days. I never denied that either.
I am not sure you understand what is going on here.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

That is not how school uniforms work. Schools do not just decide to suddenly implement a uniform for one day.

Oh yes school uniforms work that way, and yes, some schools implement a uniform for one day, and the United States is doing that... www.abovetopsecret.com...

A couple months ago the public school that my niece attends had a "Treyvon Martin" day. The students were told to wear hoodies for the assembly. My niece, who is in 10th grade, and who is an independent thinker, questioned this. She told her home room teacher that she didn't want to wear a hoodie in support of Treyvon Martin. The teacher asked why, and my niece said she felt bad he died, but that maybe he was the one who attacked Zimmerman, and she didn't feel comfortable supporting anybody when she didn't know the facts. The next day my niece showed up to school dressed nicely, but not wearing the hoodie. She was sent to the principal's office and reprimanded, and told that she either had to wear a hoodie or go home. The principal told her to go to the lost and found and find a hoodie to wear. The principal's reasoning was that it was important that the students show uniformity, and support for a fellow high school student that was gunned down. My niece went to the lost and found in tears, and called her mom. Her mom called the principle, who told her to come pick her up from school. Now is where the story gets good.... Her mom went into the principal's office the next day to confront her on what happened. The principal told her that it's important that the students "fall in" and "sometimes you have to learn to comply." Her mom pointed to the school's values posted on the wall and noted that "compliance" wasn't one of the values, and that in fact "diversity" was a value. The principal replied, >>Diversity means the right kind of diversity, NOT your daughter's kind of diversity...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Like I said, I went to a school with uniforms.

And when did you went to a school that require students to wear the traditional fine school-uniform? And did you finish that school before Trayvon Martin was shot?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

But the students wanted to raise money for Trayvon's family and asked the school's administrators if they could each pay $1 to wea r hoodies instead of school uniforms for a day, the group said. It said the school regularly has fundraisers in which students are allowed to ''d ress down'.

That teacher is fired by now, but nevertheless, these students who were used to wear their fine traditional school-uniforms managed to wear hoodies for a day, before that teacher got fired...

You finished your school before Trayvon Martin was shot, right? Then of course you did NOT experience that the students usually wearing the traditional fine school-uniforms were wearing hoodies instead of the tradional fine school-uniform for a day, and you did NOT experience to watch that teacher get fired, when you finished your school long before Travon Martin was shot...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Like I said, I went to a school with uniforms.

And when did you went to a school that require students to wear the traditional fine school-uniform? And did you finish that school before Trayvon Martin was shot?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

But the students wanted to raise money for Trayvon's family and asked the school's administrators if they could each pay $1 to wea r hoodies instead of school uniforms for a day, the group said. It said the school regularly has fundraisers in which students are allowed to ''d ress down'.

You finished your school before Trayvon Martin was shot, right? Then of course you did NOT experience that the students wearing the traditional fine school-uniforms are wearing hoodies instead of the tradional fine school-uniform for a day, when you finished your school long before Travon Martin was shot...

You are so funny.

That was not part of their uniform.
No one was REQUIRED to wear one.
No one was going to be punished for not wearing one.

Good god, did you even read your link?

Yes it was before TM was even born. We had dress down days too.
This is retarded.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Oh yes school uniforms work that way, and yes, some schools implement a uniform for one day, and the United States is doing that... www.abovetopsecret.com...

A couple months ago the public school that my niece attends had a "Treyvon Martin" day. The students were told to wear hoodies for the assembly. My niece, who is in 10th grade, and who is an independent thinker, questioned this. She told her home room teacher that she didn't want to wear a hoodie in support of Treyvon Martin. The teacher asked why, and my niece said she felt bad he died, but that maybe he was the one who attacked Zimmerman, and she didn't feel comfortable supporting anybody when she didn't know the facts. The next day my niece showed up to school dressed nicely, but not wearing the hoodie. She was sent to the principal's office and reprimanded, and told that she either had to wear a hoodie or go home. The principal told her to go to the lost and found and find a hoodie to wear. The principal's reasoning was that it was important that the students show uniformity, and support for a fellow high school student that was gunned down. My niece went to the lost and found in tears, and called her mom. Her mom called the principle, who told her to come pick her up from school. Now is where the story gets good.... Her mom went into the principal's office the next day to confront her on what happened. The principal told her that it's important that the students "fall in" and "sometimes you have to learn to comply." Her mom pointed to the school's values posted on the wall and noted that "compliance" wasn't one of the values, and that in fact "diversity" was a value. The principal replied, >>Diversity means the right kind of diversity, NOT your daughter's kind of diversity...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

That was not part of their uniform.

Oh yes, lots of students in the United States wear hoodies for a day each year for the Trayvon Martin day...

No one was REQUIRED to wear one.

Oh yes there are students who are REQUIRED to wear hoodie for a day each year... www.abovetopsecret.com...

A couple months ago the public school that my niece attends had a "Treyvon Martin" day. The students were told to wear hoodies for the assembly. My niece, who is in 10th grade, and who is an independent thinker, questioned this. She told her home room teacher that she didn't want to wear a hoodie in support of Treyvon Martin. The teacher asked why, and my niece said she felt bad he died, but that maybe he was the one who attacked Zimmerman, and she didn't feel comfortable supporting anybody when she didn't know the facts. The next day my niece showed up to school dressed nicely, but not wearing the hoodie. She was sent to the principal's office and reprimanded, and told that she either had to wear a hoodie or go home. The principal told her to go to the lost and found and find a hoodie to wear. The principal's reasoning was that it was important that the students show uniformity, and support for a fellow high school student that was gunned down. My niece went to the lost and found in tears, and called her mom. Her mom called the principle, who told her to come pick her up from school. Now is where the story gets good.... Her mom went into the principal's office the next day to confront her on what happened. The principal told her that it's important that the students "fall in" and "sometimes you have to learn to comply." Her mom pointed to the school's values posted on the wall and noted that "compliance" wasn't one of the values, and that in fact "diversity" was a value. The principal replied, >>Diversity means the right kind of diversity, NOT your daughter's kind of diversity.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!

The bickering and rudeness stops NOW!!!!

This thread will be closed briefly to allow members to read the following:

Go After the Ball, Not the Player!

We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

You are responsible for your own posts.

Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

That makes sense, kids should be educated more about politics and the economy, but no capitalists will allow that to happen, shame really.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Anunaki10

NO they do not do any of that crap EACH YEAR.
Your entire post is a lie.

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join