It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morgan Freeman "I think we invented God."

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
First I heard Morgan Freeman on piers morgan say 'he is god' now he says 'we invented it'

# him hes a tool and pawn. Deluded from the BS he has portrayed all these years
In His materialism he has lost the the truth, and he will never see it

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Me: "Morgan Freeman, you're an actor. That does not qualify you as an expert on anything except pretending to be someone else. STFU."

At least he qualified it as his opinion, I guess. The problem is, stupid people think that actors' opinions are the truth.

edit on 10-6-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

So...should we say the same about a plumber who believe in Jesus? After all...the only thing they know about is plumbing, right? Only stupid people would take any "personal testimony" they have about their opinions of their religious faith seriously...right? Only dumb people would think a plumber's opinion is "truth".

By the way....what was your occupation again?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux

the thing that atheist will never overcome is the question...why are you discussing something you say doesn't exist? a logical inconsistency which would probably be uncovered by a 5 years old child.

Easy. Because those who do "believe" have more or less turned this world into a living "hell" for humanity....and enough is enough.

I will not sit idly by letting people cling to nonsense when that nonsense is manipulated in order to fuel or start countless wars, torture people, and allow Big Government to have any authority whatsoever over the reproductive or sexual habits of consenting adults.

Any day the "believers" are able to illustrate that they can leave their superstitions at the door when electing politicians I'll be the first one to shut up.

Until then....I look forward to the day when humanity is 100% completely godless.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by P-M-H
First I heard Morgan Freeman on piers morgan say 'he is god' now he says 'we invented it'

# him hes a tool and pawn. Deluded from the BS he has portrayed all these years
In His materialism he has lost the the truth, and he will never see it

Yes... Morgan Freeman..."The Materialist".

WTF??

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
I guess Morgan Freeman never heard the story of Yeshua, who was nailed to a cross for saying he was YHVH and who went to that deathwillingly and refused to recant when given the chance. I think i will believe Yeshua over Mr. Freeman. Mr. Freeman never allowed himself to be nailed to a cross to save anyone.

Perhaps he heard the story many times and concluded it was just that - a story.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Good old Mr. Freeman.

He is of course correct.

I love ya Blup, but how can you be so certain?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This topic always makes me think of the song "The Freaks come out at night".

I respect people (well, sane people) that believe in God, Jesus, Yahweh, Allah, Budda, Santa Clause, and the Easter Bunny. I really do. The only thing that keeps me from dismissing the idea entirely is that I know some really, really well-educated people (in science and theological communities) who I respect that have faith that cannot be broken.

Ironically what brings me back to what I think the truth is (it's an invention) that a great deal of believers seem like kooks when they attempt to defend themselves verbally. They either quote some fleeting line from the bible, or they say something that should scare any sane person about fire, hell, apocalypse, and well - if you don't agree with them 100 percent you are doomed for eternal suffering.

See, if there was an all-loving creator, I can't see how he'd embrace that ideology. Or one that says if you kill 2,000 people with a plane you will have 19 ghost-virgins waiting for you. Science doesn't prove or disprove, but it certainly doesn't add to the argument that their is a God. And I feel like others posting to the original post that too much suffering, too many wars, too much death is accomplished in the name of religion. I can't see how 6-7 old kids would be allowed to suffer horrible diseases and have their life cut short via genetic lottery only to be given lame excuses like "God wanted him in Heaven" or "It's God's will, we have to embrace that" or my all-time fav "No one knows the beautiful mystery of God". Oh, and also be a God that showed himself so long ago it's impossible to prove because humanity was two steps above lighting fire and grunting at each other - and he hasn't shown himself since to enough people to be a believable, provable, factual event (and of course there is an excuse for that - God's too mysterious for us advanced humans - he could only be understood by ancient man).

All I know is when I see a young child sick from cancer I don't see any beautiful mystery. Feel free to reply or quote me but please don't send me "The book of Joe Shmoe tells us to...." because I've read the book. I've seen the movies. I have the t-shirt. And like I said while I respect and admire SANE people of faith, I don't see it. (ps - I lead a relatively happy life so please don't feel sorry for me. I actually feel somewhat enlightened with my current decision). Thanks. Peace Out. (and in, and out, and in, and out, and ahhhhhh).
edit on 10-6-2012 by flashtrum because: added additional comments...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Just imagine what it would be like if we did not have that "fear" or moral code!?

Neither fear nor morality is always a bad thing.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by flashtrum

You can't find the creator in a book, but you can find the writings of men that wondered about their place in the universe,

I am on a planet in the universe, completely by accident?

I think we have lost our sense of awe.

I try to reconnect with that everyday.

The most beautiful and deepest experience a man can have is the sense of the mysterious. It is the underlying principle of religion as well as of all serious endeavour in art and science. He who never had this experience seems to me, if not dead, then at least blind. To sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is a something that our minds cannot grasp, whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly: this is religiousness. In this sense I am religious. To me it suffices to wonder at these secrets and to attempt humbly to grasp with my mind a mere image of the lofty structure of all there is.

Einstein

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
This mystery may seem fairly simple at first blush, but give it a moment before you reply. It really is not a simple question. Any seriously considered suggestions?

I feel there is a marked difference between that which has been invented and that which preexisted the invention. The old ' we are created in Gods image' v's 'creating God in ours' argument. Its difficult to discern if you've never experienced the difference. This is though, one reason I stay away from religious groups today, because in my experience of them, while they say the former..they practice the latter more often than not and I am seeking the truth not more illusion.

Ive had experience of both...meaning that Ive had the house of cards of my illusions about what God would/ought to/should be utterly destroyed....and I have had experiences with a presence and force that I had never imagined or perceived existed prior to my interaction with it..and for me jury is still out. I don't feel empowered to make any kind of judgment on the issue despite that experience....I just feel better able now after having those experiences, to discern between the illusory and the factual, real and not real...lasting and temporary, despite external pressures or my own inner desires wants or needs of God and for God. Its been a good journey..hard and painful..but a good one to have taken.

Rosha

edit on 10-6-2012 by Rosha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

reply to post by daaskapital

i often see professional fighters and other athletes pray to God or otherwise seeking to be reconciled unto God.

So do i - Muay Thai

it funny that you consider some of the demonstrably strongest people on the planet to be weak willed.

Perhaps i should have chosen better terms

it's funny that you think you know with scholastic certainty what Ancient Egyptians or Sumerians believed in.

Look further back - into the stone age. There was a structured society, yet they did not believe in a God.

i'd take a believer over someone who believes in nothing at all any day; weak willed or not.

As would i - it depends on the way they act. That being said, people who believe in nothing are usually those who objectively analyse situations, such as religion.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

when humanity is 100% Godless. not very realistic...don't you agree?

you go ahead and hope and pray to nothing at all for genocide all you want, but i'm more inclined to accept that its not believers who created the mess you alleges exists. based 100% on your post.

the Constitution guarantees religious freedom. all you prove is that you'd make war upon the American government to implement your own personal opinion.

i'm not surprised by this as I assume that most people would be Tyrants if they actually had power.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

i read the Sumerian kings list and it mentioned kings that lived and ruled as Gods more than 30,000 years before the flood.

that would put me at about 45,000 B.C.

how far must I go back to find these atheist utopia's you speak of?

to what society are you referring?

notice how I didn't end the sentence above with a preposition?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Who created God?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by flashtrum

I know the exact feeling your talking about

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BoyTheEarthTalksTo

God created himself. yes HIMSELF.

people really don't like to hear such concepts as this.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I am just going to assume that since no one has provided an animal or anything besides SOME people that worships the christian god in answer to the question I asked several pages ago....

that it was the right question to ask...
and
that some people are the only ones that worship this christian version of a supreme diety.

My next question is:
which of the over 38,000 sects of christianity who all claim to be the one true faith actually believe in the true god?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster What I want to see is someone explain where the original concept happened, given the proven fact that imagination and creativity is not actually original. And the fact that an invisible and imperceptible being can't possibly be invented by a brain that has no innate capacity to invent a notion that is so profoundly incompatible with its own existential nature and the nature of literally everything it can conceive of as a direct result of experience and/or perception.

So try again.

You lose me here. How is this fact? Not making sense to me maybe dumb it down more.
What type of proof have you got to back up these claims?

THis is a interesting article worth a read. www.rationalresponders.com...

Many people think that our knowledge of God flows from God down to us through some religion or messenger or subjective experience. However, if this is true, then it fails to account for how we can recognize a religion as being from God in the first place. It fails for being able to decide who is a messenger of God in the first place. And it also fails to account for how we can determine which experiences are genuinely experiences of God and not just our own minds. If we are supposed to choose a religion based on how well it reflects God's will, then we must have some sense of what God's will is in the first place. Yet, if we learn what God wants from religion, how can we decide which religion is from God? It's like trying to decide whether a certain handwriting belongs to a certain person before knowing what that person's handwriting even looks like. If choosing a religion is an arbitrary process that does not depend on our choosing a good religion, then the only possible standard for choosing between religions is one that man makes up. If it does depend on our choosing a good religion, then once again man must have some sense of what is good and what is bad prior to choosing his religion. In this case, again it is not what God wants that matters, but what the dictates of man's morality tells him to choose. So ultimately humanity must be the final judge as to what religion he chooses and by what standard he chooses. To say that humanity must abide by God's standard when choosing a religion is to put the theological cart before the horse, since it presupposes that we already know what God's standard looks like, which is the very thing we would want to figure out!

edit on 10-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

I'm sure you heard this one before, but just because I think everyone in this thread is getting sick of your mentioning prepositions.

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
--Winston Churchill

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

reply to post by BoyTheEarthTalksTo

God created himself. yes HIMSELF.

people really don't like to hear such concepts as this.

because it makes no sense. How can you CREATE yourself?
Logically it make no sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join