Morgan Freeman "I think we invented God."

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

"The more people - - especially "in the public eye" people that speak up of questioning god - - what is god - - even Lack of Belief in a god - - - more will follow.

It is a good thing."

she's selling "speaking up of questioning God." a God an atheist shouldn't even acknowledge.

the thing that atheist will never overcome is the question...why are you discussing something you say doesn't exist? a logical inconsistency which would probably be uncovered by a 5 years old child.

but people are free to sell whatever contraption they can develop...if someone buys it: Caveat Emptor.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

That humanity has decided to engage in a never ending debate about such a topic suggests to me that everyone knows God exists...but something is trying to control how people think of God and therefore control people and through this mechanism become something 'like God'.

I COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MY FRIEND. I've never heard of Jesus commanding anyone to do anything that would bring harm to another! Yet people misunderstand because they are ignorant. Thanks for speaking your faith.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Were you even alive back then? Do you know for sure that really happened? How about firsthand evidence of this Jesus, other than some books that have been edited over thousands of years, and if he existed that is nothing to do with anything. Because he let himself die willingly which can be considered suicide in some places of the earth, believing so much that god was real, that means he was? Well damn look at all the people that committed suicide over heavens gate, 2012, etc.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

How does allowing yourself to be killed prove god?

How can different religions believing different things all agree that dying for their God is the best way to get to heaven and win the lottery there too?

Maybe religion was not meant to make people behave and do your work, but a way of keeping the population in check?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Tough question indeed.

Since we can only speculate, its my guess that the ancients attributed God status to things they weren't able to control. There were civilizations that worshipped nature, bears and other animals. Its probable that once they found out how to kill it, or at least make sense of it in some way, they stopped worshipping it. It's probably the same with worshipping the sun or the seasons. Once they could be somewhat calculated and defined, they were no longer ineffable. This is a guess of course.

In modern times, it seems that fortune and misfortune, or your standard chaos, is attributed to some anthropomorphic being, which is another attempt (feeble attempt in my opinion) to explain away the unknown and ineffable.

We can only assume that the concept of God was created after language was well into a juvenile state; or, Language is God.

ETA: I bet there is a generation of people coming up right now who when they hear the word God, they immediately think of Morgan Freeman (because of his roles as god and the godlike presence of his voice-overs). This would make Morgan Freeman god if we were all raging idealists.

I don't know. Impossible to answer but fun to speculate on.
edit on 10-6-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
reply to post by Chamberf=6

one time my wife and two youngins were worried about the letter we got from the bank about our five acres and home......we had 60 days to pay in full......thfee days before it was due.....sweat ..... sweat..... we plopped the cash down on the desk and never looked back.....
edit on 10-6-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahushua is our new King !!

Shame your godman was so busy saving your five acres that he obviously didn't have time to nip in to but one Pediatric ward and end the suffering of the terminally ill children who plead with him every moment for him not to kill them.

Isn't it ironic how the godman sends you a bundle of notes to save your house but sends his sheepl to beg me for money to fix his own.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

It could very plausible that for many many years, starting from the initial habitat that included present day humans, individuals of those early civilizations spent much time pondering their existence.

Undoubtedly, they were stumped on the more philosophical and metaphysical mysteries surrounding their existence as individuals and the universal environment they live in.

I think it could also be plausible that, out of these sessions of deep thought, the un-answerable thoughts that plagued the masses would eventually turn into obsessions and eventually torment a large majority of people at that time.

Out of a need for truth and fulfillment came one of the most important necessities ever realized by our ancestors.

Where there is a necessity, there is a person willing to fill that niche and answer the most troubling questions of that period - for some sort of financial or social status gain, of course.

A respected, but deceitful, member of that community could have worked at great length to create an explanation to account for many of those mysteries - similar to a modern day TOE (Theory of Everything)

If this is indeed something that took place during that time, then it is also plausible that the individual drew large amounts of attention and established a formidable following. Understanding the teachings of this innovative leader, many of the followers may have seen fit to continue his work.

As most everyone here has learned, the stories passed down from elders to newer generations would probably vary from the original telling. Eventually the original stories could have been embellished and expanded to a point that may not even resemble the original stories. Continuing for millennia, these stories continued to morph until they became what we know today as Gd and spirituality.

I will be the first to admit, I have no evidence to back this up and have not really thought about it long enough to say a large percentage of my opinion supports this idea. It is a plausible possibility and could account for some of the things that remain mysteries today.

Studying the way we question and reform the old philosophies today, we can see how our manipulation of the ancient stories could be very similar to the way the original teachings morphed over the years.

It could also be a product of something else. I am building a thread on Collective Consciousness now, so I won't go into great depth on it here.

Many have speculated that, if enough people think the same thing, we can manifest the thought of our combined desires into reality.

I will say it's possible we have an unidentified sense for collective consciousness. If the majority of people are questioning the same thing and led to a common conclusion, then maybe we have sensed the collective will of those who believe in a higher power.

This may push us to find evidence or proof of a Creator Gd that would cease relentless speculation from the Collective Consciousness and allow us to advance into a further state of comprehension and awareness, where even more baffling questions may be exposed..

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
It's sad really that a man of his supposed intellect could come to such an UNREASONABLE conclusion. The philosophers of the Age of Enlightment correctly deduced from evidence in nature that the level of complexity, interactivity between systems and astounding number of variables that had to be in perfect alignment for the creation of life made it inescapable and self evident that there must be some infinite Creator.

See the definition of Deism. Morgan on he other hand is either a man of exceptionally dim intellect or more likely, simply afraid to face the implications. That, my friends, is pathetic.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

reply to post by NorEaster

how could the very first intelligent, sentient brain (whether Homo Sapiens or alien - for those who blame it all on extra-terrestrials) have even "gone there" without anything pulling it in that direction?

Imagination (I can't believe you left out this BIG factor) and a need to find "explanations" for natural phenomena like rain, lightening, day/night progression, etc.

Something/someone all powerful, they may have thought, was doing these things. Over time stories, legends, led to "beliefs".

BTW if you've ever seen "Through the Wormhole", the show Freeman co-created and hosts, you wouldn't be surprised he thinks we invented gods.

I lean towards that thinking myself.
edit on 6/10/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

I find it compelling that way to many people think that these play actors opinions hold any water , because they consider themselves successful and well to do and they opine we should bow to their delusional status of being able to sway the public because they happen to be good play actors.

As far as the first humans coming up with the idea of God , not unlike today God actually makes himself known to people .

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Oh, and I'm not surprised that Morgan Freeman is agnostic. I even stated that in the 2nd sentence.

Actually your second line was:

Not much of a headline

...then you said it got you thinking.

I didn't get where you said you weren't surprised but that isn't here nor there in the thread is it?

That's what you wanted to "correct" me on?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
reply to post by Annee

you are selling a philosophy, atheist or not, and no one is in the market. i suppose you'd be well advised to discuss this with an investment banker, if you don't believe me.

one or two might buy what you are selling, but I don't think that's enough to keep your doors open;

i just want to make it clear who's in the business of selling what...you are the door to door salesman selling philosophy; apparently the same line of work you've been in for a long time.

my honest opinion...religion and philosophy is a bad business to be in. that's what you sell, right?

I have no clue what you are talking about.

I state what I think. Take it or leave it. This isn't life - - this is a forum.

If you bring something from an online forum into your personal life - - - that is YOUR action and YOUR responsibility.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm amused that you think there's a God...

I am amused at your patent lack of interest in actually finding out what you really are, if you even got 1% off the mark into the right direction, it becomes obvious that there is a higher power in the universe, and, outside of it.

Isn't god right now thinking "I invented more than freeman".

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

i can't help it. i bring everything I read here into my personal life. I have discussions about the things I read here with my wife and children and they don't know what i'm talking about.

i use these forums as teaching aids. to show my students what people believe in so that they can be on guard in adulthood.

i want them to be well versed on every possible belief that people have, so that when it appears in their lives they'll know what they are dealing with.

did you know that many Americans end sentences with prepositions?

do you know why?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZIPMATT
reply to post by NorEaster

we have now said ,god is not a notion but a reality , not an invention of the human mind but an external factor.

we dont want you getting deluded about other people having delusions .

why worry about it anyway ?
edit on 10-6-2012 by ZIPMATT because: set and match

I honestly believe that a hands-on God (of the sort that people pray to in church) is completely impossible, and yet I have to deal with the fact that something pulled that notion from the brain of a corporeal Homo Sapiens being without that brain having an evolutionary tic that provided that notion an impetus.

I research this sort of thing and write on it extensively, so that's why I worry about it.

To me, this is the ultimate mystery, and therefore I'm asking people who think about this sort of thing all the time what they think could possibly be responsible for what has become a go-to explanation for pretty much everything in our modern western culture. To me, it makes no sense at all, but that doesn't mean that something didn't initiated the notion in the very beginning - even if that something wasn't God or a god.

Just because I challenge assertions doesn't mean that I have all the answers. It jusy means that I know enough to dismiss the pat answers that have been traditionally offered.
edit on 6/10/2012 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

reply to post by SaturnFX

"The more people - - especially "in the public eye" people that speak up of questioning god - - what is god - - even Lack of Belief in a god - - - more will follow.

It is a good thing."

she's selling "speaking up of questioning God." a God an atheist shouldn't even acknowledge.

the thing that atheist will never overcome is the question...why are you discussing something you say doesn't exist? a logical inconsistency which would probably be uncovered by a 5 years old child.

but people are free to sell whatever contraption they can develop...if someone buys it: Caveat Emptor.

What?

You have a very "colorful" inventive mind.

I live in a secular government - - - I want God kept out of government. That's pretty much the whole of it.

Being 65 I've watch the transformation over the years of the hold organized religion has had over society and government.

In the 50s you could lose everything for speaking out against God.

The more who publicly speak out - - - the less hold religion has on those who don't want it.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Regardless of your belief system, I can categorically state that there is a 'Creator'. Not a human Creator in any religious sense, but a Source just the same. I know this because I was 'in Spirit' on a great many occasions, and nobody on Earth can negate these experiences.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Oh, and I'm not surprised that Morgan Freeman is agnostic. I even stated that in the 2nd sentence.

Actually your second line was:

Not much of a headline

[duh]Which means that I'm not surprised that he said this. [/duh]

...then you said it got you thinking.

I didn't get where you said you weren't surprised but that isn't here nor there in the thread is it?

That's what you wanted to "correct" me on?

That's what I just corrected you on...yes.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

your angle is becoming more understandable. actually having a conversation is good, right?

i'm only 41, 30 when the established religions launched their war upon the United States.

that being said. i learned that a more refined approach was needed if you want to actually find the solution.

God is real, true and everlasting. Religion, however, is an entirely different conversation.

Casting out God from ones life because of what a man was able to convince his congregation of doing on behalf of God doesn't solve the problem.

Even if men created God, which they did not...disbelieving in God after believing in God, then, is little more than hating the idea one had yesterday in favor of the one they have today. schizophrenia

if men created God, not believing in God..first and foremost is a condemnation of the minds of men; not God.

make up your minds already.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

i can't help it. i bring everything I read here into my personal life. I have discussions about the things I read here with my wife and children and they don't know what i'm talking about.

Well good - - but its your choice to take it from a discussion forum and make it personal in your life.

i use these forums as teaching aids. to show my students what people believe in so that they can be on guard in adulthood.

But you are interpreting what is said. That's a bit dishonest. You are basically giving your own personal viewpoint on your interpretation of what someone else said.

i want them to be well versed on every possible belief that people have, so that when it appears in their lives they'll know what they are dealing with.

If that were true - - you would be open to ideas - - rather then condemning.

did you know that many Americans end sentences with prepositions?

do you know why?

No.

I'm not someone who wastes words. I try not to add more then is necessary.

exclusive video

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join