It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morgan Freeman "I think we invented God."

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Oh, I'm sure he "heard" it. Logically, such a story, even if "true" in that it describes an actual event, doesn't "prove" anything. It's just stories, and -- like a kids game of telephone -- you are hundreds of steps from the move.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Its actually really simple: Fear of death

If humans could live(d) 500 years or close to immortal status ,there would be no need for dogma,prophets,scripture or God itself. But , if a logical homo sapien cannot explain death and its aftermath(after living a short 30 to 40 years), then our pathetic human imagination will trump logic and viola blind faith is born and(with time)this pathetic faith will evolve to cover its fabricated tracks.

I hope I didn't irk any religious foes.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Probably started with Og figuring out that he couldn’t kill big hairy animal without help. Not too big of a leap to also figure out not too good of idea to steal hunting buddy’s wife or food or Og would be on the pointy end of the stick.

and humans continually do both of those things.

lets say person "x" and person "y" disagree on what is right vs. wrong, who/what do they appeal to? if there is no overarching consciousness to declare absolutes, then there are none.

without a god/deity/higher awareness, right and wrong cannot absolutely exist.

what if Og does steal and rape his hunting buddy's mate? what's "wrong" about that? what's "right" or "wrong" about anything? without god, all things are permissible.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
People feel secure when they put their faith in something "higher."

Transferring metaphysical properties from one Deity to another, like Society, is silly.

Originally posted by GiodanoBruno
Its actually really simple: Fear of death

If humans could live(d) 500 years or close to immortal status ,there would be no need for dogma,prophets,scripture or God itself. But , if a logical homo sapien cannot explain death and its aftermath(after living a short 30 to 40 years), then our pathetic human imagination will trump logic and viola blind faith is born and(with time)this pathetic faith will evolve to cover its fabricated tracks.

That may have been true before the birth of modern physics, but not anymore. Fear of death is no longer fear of death, rather it has become fear of what is death?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by Pauligirl

Probably started with Og figuring out that he couldn’t kill big hairy animal without help. Not too big of a leap to also figure out not too good of idea to steal hunting buddy’s wife or food or Og would be on the pointy end of the stick.

and humans continually do both of those things.

lets say person "x" and person "y" disagree on what is right vs. wrong, who/what do they appeal to? if there is no overarching consciousness to declare absolutes, then there are none.

without a god/deity/higher awareness, right and wrong cannot absolutely exist.

what if Og does steal and rape his hunting buddy's mate? what's "wrong" about that? what's "right" or "wrong" about anything? without god, all things are permissible.

What if Og rapes his hunting buddy's mate? His hunting buddy would be very mad, and would probably come after Og and hurt him or rape his mate. Og knows this, so Og and his hunting buddy make a deal -- you don't do it to me and I won't do it to you. You don't need a higher awareness for that.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
reply to post by Chamberf=6

hey =6....there's no proof. huh!
but I have all these troubled times that I handed over to Yahweh and they were smashed to bits as if the troubles were just a test......then....I discovered 10 years ago that every possible question is answered in that book of scriptures.....from how to act to what to be thinking when something rears it's ugly head. good instructions before leaving earth

one time my wife and two youngins were worried about the letter we got from the bank about our five acres and home......we had 60 days to pay in full......thfee days before it was due.....sweat ..... sweat..... we plopped the cash down on the desk and never looked back.....
edit on 10-6-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahushua is our new King !!

Well, thank God he handed you some money for that fine piece of land and your home. Did he give you any extra to feed the hungry or to pay for someone's cancer treatment? Just curious.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
I guess Morgan Freeman never heard the story of Yeshua, who was nailed to a cross for saying he was YHVH and who went to that deathwillingly and refused to recant when given the chance. I think i will believe Yeshua over Mr. Freeman. Mr. Freeman never allowed himself to be nailed to a cross to save anyone.

I'm sorry.... what?
Who have you put up on that cross? Now its GOD himself ? not Jesus but the big guy himself. Well, you can believe what you like. Morgan Freeman or your own convoluted self but you've gotten the story wrong from the git go so no one is taking advice from you. Stop, rewind, go over your information again and see if you still come out in the same place.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Right.
I think people fear the punishment brought about by the law more than the punishment ,after death ,of some out there God. Thats what keeps people on the straight and narrow these days. The law, not God.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

His house is way more important to god than people being raped, murdered, dying of diseases, starvation, child abuse, domestic violence, cancer, poverty, human rights and so on. But hey, "the lord works in mysterious ways"

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

The world will be an interesting place to observe, as more and more people come to this conclusion.

And more and more people are openly publicly speaking it.

That's important. People do tend to follow. The more people - - especially "in the public eye" people that speak up of questioning god - - what is god - - even Lack of Belief in a god - - - more will follow.

It is a good thing.

edit on 10-6-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

ain't nobody in the market for a new religion or new philosophy.

all that is bad mojo and its not a good business to get into at present. I know you may think people are in the market for a new belief system...but i think people are happy with whatever they are currently using.

my advice to you is to find a different line of work.

me, i'm in the business of war. i'm selling a concept that allows you to strike an enemy down without the use of weapons. that's what people are in the market for.

your religion and philosophy shop is about to be the loneliest place in town.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Perhaps Freeman has has made up the idea that people make up the idea that God exists.

Too many holes in this idea. Ideas arent the same as the real thing.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux

ain't nobody in the market for a new religion or new philosophy.

Really!?!? You afraid they might find one or two or three?

all that is bad mojo

According to who?

my advice to you is to find a different line of work.

I'm retired.

me, i'm in the business of war. i'm selling a concept that allows you to strike an enemy down without the use of weapons. that's what people are in the market for.

Oh Joy!

your religion and philosophy shop is about to be the loneliest place in town.

I'm Atheist.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

you are selling a philosophy, atheist or not, and no one is in the market. i suppose you'd be well advised to discuss this with an investment banker, if you don't believe me.

one or two might buy what you are selling, but I don't think that's enough to keep your doors open;

i just want to make it clear who's in the business of selling what...you are the door to door salesman selling philosophy; apparently the same line of work you've been in for a long time.

my honest opinion...religion and philosophy is a bad business to be in. that's what you sell, right?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
To me, the idea of a monotheist creator god is an attempt at forming a better understandable conceptualized identity to all of this, what we could call the universe. But in a more metaphysical sense, God exists in so much that all of this exists. Do we need a cosmic deity? Perhaps some do, and that's fine.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Logic can play a part in this process quite easily.

Say cavemen Og and Ud are sitting together
Og has a piece of meat. Ud is sitting next to him

Og places the meat down on a rock and walks away..comes back and notes the meat is gone, and Ud is chewing..
Logical breakdown..Ud took the meat.

Now, same scenario, but no Ud. Og puts the meat down, goes away, comes back, meat is gone.
He doesn't know where it could have been..therefore something unseen took it (didn't notice the happy cat outside the cave).
After this happens a couple more times, it goes from curiousity to the building of the unseen thing which desires meat...superstitions are arose from it (it loved the fish offering, but ignored the branches...aka, cats like fish more than sticks, so dragged the fish away at night).

This is how religion starts, concepts of unseen things, of illogical fallacys...the logic took place in associating the loss of the meat with something not seen at the moment, but then the imagination took over and decided that was pretty much the end of the mystery...ghosts did it..no need to continue investigating or thinking on the matter.

I don't know if we invented a god...but I am certain we invented religion.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
reply to post by Annee

you are selling a philosophy, atheist or not, and no one is in the market. i suppose you'd be well advised to discuss this with an investment banker, if you don't believe me.

one or two might buy what you are selling, but I don't think that's enough to keep your doors open;

i just want to make it clear who's in the business of selling what...you are the door to door salesman selling philosophy; apparently the same line of work you've been in for a long time.

my honest opinion...religion and philosophy is a bad business to be in. that's what you sell, right?

I don't see her as selling anything
More on the lines of reminding people they can return the product called religion whenever they want once they realize they bought something broken.

Demand a refund

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
without god, all things are permissible.

With god, all things are permissible.

If you require a god in order to be a good person towards other men

...then your not a good person to begin with.
Fear of punishment shouldn't be the motivator to do good to one another...its disingenious, and a deity that enforced that set of society merits no worship or praise. That mindset is held only by the most unfit parents of society.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

If you study creativity and inventiveness, you discover that creativity and invention are reconfigurations of existent notions, and that even the most novel concept has logical linkage with a previous notion or concept. Well, except for this very inexplicable concept.

This mystery may seem fairly simple at first blush, but give it a moment before you reply. It really is not a simple question. Any seriously considered suggestions?

Well if you ask Mr. McKenna. He'd probably tell you it had something to do with the stoned ape theory.

Hell even Biblical and Aramaic philologist John Allegro thinks Christianity was a mushroom cult.

Then again, when you read ancient fables and parables you start to see the seeds of how the entire thing germinated. Here's an example,

Abraham's Birth

Far more explicit is the story of Abraham's life in his Chaldean home as told by the Palestinian rabbis of the second century, and afterward further developed under the influence of Babylonian folk-lore. He was born in Kuta, another name for Ur of the Chaldees (B. B. 91a). On the night when he was born, Terah's friends, among whom were councilors and soothsayers of Nimrod, were feasting in his house, and on leaving late at night they observed a star which swallowed up four other stars from the four sides of the heavens. They forthwith hastened to Nimrod and said: "Of a certainty a lad has been born who is destined to conquer this world and the next; now, then, give to his parents as large a sum of money as they wish for the child, and then kill him." But Terah, who was present, said: "Your advice reminds me of the mule to whom a man said, 'I will give thee a house full of barley if thou wilt allow me to cut off thy head,' whereupon the mule replied: 'Fool that thou art, of what use will the barley be to me if thou cuttest off my head?' Thus I say to you: if you slay the son, who will inherit the money you give to the parents?" Then the rest of the councilors said: "From thy words we perceive that a son has been born to thee." "Yes," said Terah, "a son has been born to me, but he is dead." Terah then went home and hid his son in a cave for three years. When, on coming out of the cave, Abraham saw the sun rising in all his glory in the east, he said to himself: "Surely this is the Lord of the universe, and Him I will worship." But the evening came, and lo! the sun set and night befell him, and seeing the moon with her silver radiance, he said, "This, then, is the Lord of the world, and all the stars are His servants; to Him I will kneel." The following morning, when moon and stars had disappeared and the sun had risen anew, Abraham said: "Now I know that neither the one nor the other is the Lord of the world, but He who controls both as His servants is the Creator and Ruler of the whole world." Forthwith Abraham asked his father: "Who created heaven and earth?" Terah, pointing to one of his idols, replied: "This great image is our god." "Then let me bring a sacrifice to him!" said Abraham, and he ordered a cake of fine flour to be baked, and offered it to the idol, and when the idol did not eat it, he ordered a still finer meal-offering to be prepared, and offered it to the idol. But the idol did neither eat nor answer when addressed by him, and so Abraham grew angry and, kindling a fire, burned them all. When Terah, on coming home, found his idols burnt, he went to Abraham and said: "Who has burned my gods?" Abraham replied: "The large one quarreled with the little ones and burned them in his anger." "Fool that thou art, how canst thou say that he who can not see nor hear nor walk should have done this?" Then Abraham said: "How then canst thou forsake the living God and serve gods that neither see nor hear?"

Breaks Idols

According to Gen. R. xxxviii. and Tanna debe Eliyahu, ii. 25 (probably a portion of Pirḳe R. El.), Terah was a manufacturer of idols and had them for sale. One day when Terah was absent and Abraham was left to take charge of the shop, an old, yet vigorous, man came in to buy an idol. Abraham handed him the one on top, and he gave him the price asked. "How old art thou?" Abraham asked. "Seventy years," was the answer. "Thou fool," continued Abraham, "how canst thou adore a god so much younger than thou? Thou wert born seventy years ago and this god was made yesterday." The buyer threw away his idol and received his money back. The other sons of Terah complained to their father that Abraham did not know how to sell the idols, and so Abraham was told to attend to the idols as priest. One day a woman brought a meal-offering for the idols, and, as they would not eat, he exclaimed: "A mouth have they but speak not, eyes but see not, ears but hear not, hands but handle not. May their makers be like them, and all who trust in them" (Ps. cxv. 5-8, Heb.), and he broke them to pieces and burned them. Abraham was brought before Nimrod, who said: "Knowest thou not that I am god and ruler of the world? Why hast thou destroyed my images?" Then Abraham said: "If thou art god and ruler of the world, why dost thou not cause the sun to rise in the west and set in the east? If thou art god and ruler of the world, tell me all that I have now at heart, and what I shall do in the future." Nimrod was dumfounded, and Abraham continued: "Thou art the son of Cush, a mortal like him. Thou couldst not save thy father from death, nor wilt thou thyself escape it." According to Gen. R. xxxviii, Nimrod said: "Worship the fire!" "Why not water that quenches the fire?" asked Abraham. "Very well, worship the water!" "Why not the clouds which swallow the water?" "So be it; worship the clouds!" Then Abraham said: "Rather let me adore the wind which blows the clouds about!" "So be it; pray to the wind!" "But," said Abraham, "man can stand up against the wind or shield himself behind the walls of his house." "Then adore me!" said Nimrod. Thereupon Nimrod (Amraphel; see Pesiḳ. R. § 33, 'Er. 53a) ordered Abraham to be cast into a furnace. He had a pile of wood five yards in circumference set on fire, and Abraham was cast into it. But God Himself went down from heaven to rescue him. Wherefore the Lord appeared to him later, saying: "I am the Lord who brought thee out of the fire of the Chaldeans" (Ur Kasdim, Gen. xv. 7). The legend betrays Persian influence (compare the Zoroaster legend in Windischmann, "Zoroastrische Studien," pp. 307-313). Regarding the cave in which Abraham dwelt, see ib. p. 113; compare also B. B. 10a. The dialogue with Nimrod, pointing from fire, water, the cloud, wind, and man to God, has its parallel in Hindu legend (see Benfey, "Pantschatantra," i. 376).

edit on 10-6-2012 by Xtraeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
He's just marketing his crappy new show. And who would care what this guy thinks about anything. Isn't he shagging his granddaughter? All the roles he plays are the same, the tough sage cop. He's a walking cliche'. # em.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join