It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morgan Freeman "I think we invented God."

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011
reply to post by afeent1

So you are willing to concede you cannot prove the non existence of God.

Can you prove the non existence of The Great Cthulu? See, you have this all backwards. YOU have to prove the existence of your god or gods, not the other way round. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

If this is so, how can you know conclusively you are correct?

He/she is by default correct until you can actually substantiate your claims for the existence of god or gods.

answer: you cannot any more than someone who believes in the existence of God.

Again, you seem to believe that making completely unfound assertions that have no basis in reality is as legitimate as demanding evidence. I've got bad news for you, fella: it's not.

You are basing your non belief on something that cannot be verified,

Partly correct. You forget the key ingredient: the complete and utter lack of proof for your assertions.

Here's a challenge for you. Using your incredibly faulty logic, how about you prove the following gods that humans have devised do not exist:

Agdistis or Angdistis
Ah Puch
Ahura Mazda
Alberich
Allah
Amaterasu
An
Anahita
Anansi
Anat
Andvari
Anshar
Anu
Ads
Aphrodite
Apollo
Apsu
Ares
Artemis
Asclepius
Athena
Athirat
Athtart
Atlas
Baal
Ba Xian
Bacchus
Balder
Bast
Bellona
Bergelmir
Bes
Bixia Yuanjin
Bragi
Brahma
Brigit
Camaxtli
Ceres
Ceridwen
Cernunnos
Chac
Chalchiuhtlicue
Chang Hsi See Heng-O.
Charun
Chemosh
Cheng-huang
Cybele
Dagon
Damkina (Dumkina)
Davlin
Dawn
Demeter
Diana
Di Cang
Dionysus
Ea
El
Enki
Enlil
Eos
Epona
Ereskigal
Farbauti
Fenrir
Forseti
Fortuna
Freya
Freyr
Frigg
Ganesha
Ganga
Garuda
Gauri
Geb
Geong Si
Guanyin
Hades
Hanuman
Hathor
Hecate
Helios
Heng-o
Hephaestus
Hera
Hermes
Hestia
Hod
Hoderi
Hoori
Horus
Hotei
Huitzilopochtli
Hsi-Wang-Mu
Hygeia
Inanna
Inti
Iris
Ishtar
Isis
Ixtab
Izanaki
Izanami
Janus
Jesus
Juno
Jupiter
Juturna
Kagutsuchi
Kartikeya
Khepri
Ki
Kingu
Kinich Ahau
Kishar
Krishna
Kuan-yin
Kukulcan
Kvasir
Lakshmi
Leto
Liza
Loki
Lugh
Luna
Magna Mater
Maia
Marduk
Mars
Mazu
Medb
Mercury
Mimir
Min
Minerva
Mithras
Morrigan
Mot
Mummu
Muses
Nanna
Nanna
Nanse
Neith
Nemesis
Nephthys
Neptune
Nergal
Ninazu
Ninhurzag
Nintu
Ninurta
Njord
Nugua
Nut
Odin
Ohkuninushi
Ohyamatsumi
Orgelmir
Osiris
Ostara
Pan
Parvati
Phaethon
Phoebe
Phoebus Apollo
Pilumnus
Poseidon
Quetzalcoatl
Rama
Re
Rhea
Sabazius
Sarasvati
Selene
Shiva
Seshat
Seti
Shamash
Shapsu
Shen Yi
Shiva
Shu
Si-Wang-Mu
Sin
Sirona
Sol
Surya
Susanoh
Tawaret
Tefnut
Tezcatlipoca
Thanatos
Thor
Thoth
Tiamat
Tianhou
Tlaloc
Tonatiuh
Toyo-Uke-Bime
Tyche
Tyr
Utu
Uzume
Vediovis
Venus
Vesta
Vishnu
Volturnus
Vulcan
Xipe
Xi Wang-mu
Xochipilli
Xochiquetzal
Yam
Yarikh
Yhwh
Ymir
Yu-huang
Yum Kimil
Zeus

...suddenly your Abrahamic god seems so insignificant in the grand scheme of deities.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
And music is as close to god as you can get.

This sentence actually upset me deep inside a little bit. To say music is as close to god as you can get is to take away from the artist what is really going on. Music is as close as you can get to another human being. Closer than a deep conversation, closer than sex in my opinion, closer than any other action. They can communicate themselves to you in a way that words themselves can't, the way actions alone fail to do. They can open up to you long after they have disappeared or died.

The beauty you're hearing isn't god, it's the years of human experience and existence. It's everything that encapsulates them. Giving credit anywhere else other than them is to lessen what they have accomplished- their expression.
edit on 11-6-2012 by grimreaper797 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
maybe your sensory apparatus isn't tuned to detect?
just sayin
like radiation measuring devices that don't detect some ranges..
no evidence of radiation on the meter...
till your hair and teeth fall out
edit on 11-6-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

Maybe your apparatus is faulty. Why is your apparatus not detecting the gods in the list I posted above?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

I cannot prove that their is a God. Never said I could. I do believe that reality and existence didn't just pop out of non existence. There was an initiator from non existence to existence. Existence, our reality could never have just arbitrarily have popped in, poof, without some force initiating it. its my personal belief, but its no less valid than yours. I don't believe the initiating of our universe by a cosmic intelligence is any more far out than the idea that it just arose from some random fluctuation in the vacuum.
edit on 11-6-2012 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2012 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I think Mr. Freeman hit it right on the nose. The Universe, Suns, planets, and life itself where created by a random act. There was no god or higher creature that created all of this. People threw time needed some way to explain the Universe, The planets, and how they came to be. They needed some one and that person was chosen by each society. All had different Gods, but was there really a god or just the need to explain things.

God was created by human kind, but if you think about it aren't we all part of this god?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

Originally posted by Danbones
maybe your sensory apparatus isn't tuned to detect?
just sayin
like radiation measuring devices that don't detect some ranges..
no evidence of radiation on the meter...
till your hair and teeth fall out
edit on 11-6-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

Maybe your apparatus is faulty. Why is your apparatus not detecting the gods in the list I posted above?

My point very plainly stated, was in regards to your comment re:
an absence of evidence is proof of absence
as a general rule
no it isn't.
and I plainly stated an example which clearly illustrates why that approach to logic is completely false
hense the value of the original statement you were attempting to negate as a general rule of logic.

you can't reason with faulty logic it doesn't work

as to proof of any god:
any one of those gods you mention may have been prooved to have existed
you may not be aware of it
so again an absence of evidence is not proof of absence

there are over 38,000 sects of christianity alone...
while they all claim to be the one and only
not one of which has proven the existence of their version of god
or there would only be 1 form of christianity.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It's a proven scientific fact that how human perception causes the universe to be manipulated around us. Perception is everything, so with that statement the impossible can become possible and vice versa.
edit on 11-6-2012 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

It's a proven scientific fact that how human sight causes the universe to be manipulated around us. Perception is everything, so with that statement the impossible can become possible and vice versa.

[Citation needed]

And don't even bother trying to present Sheldrake's "experiment" as a "proven scientific fact".

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Is the world flat? That was the perception of the world long ago, and the excepted REALITY. Keep sheldrake's name out of it, not discussing his theories, I could site a thousand examples of perception shaping the reality of the world, it isn't difficult look around I'm sure your perception is shaping something as we speak. Such as that your opinion is the 'right' one.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Is the world flat? That was the perception of the world long ago, and the excepted REALITY.

It's been known for thousands of years that the world is round. Not that this has anything to do with your claim...

Keep sheldrake's name out of it, not discussing his theories, I could site a thousand examples of perception shaping the reality of the world, it isn't difficult look around I'm sure your perception is shaping something as we speak. Such as that your opinion is the 'right' one

Well go on then, cite these one of these thousands of examples. That's all I'm asking for.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

reply to post by afeent1

So you are willing to concede you cannot prove the non existence of God. If this is so, how can you know conclusively you are correct? answer: you cannot any more than someone who believes in the existence of God.
You are basing your non belief on something that cannot be verified, the exact reason atheists negate a belief IN God by others.

You are correct, I cannot rule out the possibility (no matter how unlikely) in the existence of a god. Again, you cannot conclusively prove a negative. I am basing my beliefs on the fact that no evidence for the existence of any god has ever been presented. Show me repeatable evidence for the existence of a god. Then, the methodology of that test can be tested and verified or not verified. Again, the burden of proof is on those who claim there is a god. Not the other way around.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

I can judge what I consider wasteful because it's my opinion. I think it's a waste. Who am I to say what I think is wasteful?

Absolutely goes without saying, and I wasn't trying to be snotty when I made that comment, I just meant, like you say, we all have an opinion on what really matters in life and how to spend our time.

Peace, out

edit on 013030p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
What the heck are you talking about, lol.

Do you really need that many big words and loose ends to explain why there "must" be an afterlife LOL.

You do. That way you can sleep at night...

Because the truth is so boring and inconcevable that it couldnt possably be that bland and straight forward.

But it is.

Our bodies are no more than organic robots, and our brains computers. "Life" as you know it is NOTHING more than the electrical charge required to power our Brain and contract our muslces and ligaments, etc.

We all know this as the truth deep down, but chose to ignore it, by burying it in myth and notions we couldnt possably truley understand.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

reply to post by afeent1

So you are willing to concede you cannot prove the non existence of God.

Negative proof. You can't ever prove something doesn't exist.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Morgan Freeman is 100% correct!!

We have ZERO evidence for a creator, and people in the past mostly used god to explain things they couldn't explain...the old "god of the gaps" argument.

Luckily, thanks to the Internet making it easier for people to be educated, the amount of atheists is rising. It has doubled over the past 20 years.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

We have ZERO evidence for a creator, and people in the past mostly used god to explain things they couldn't explain...the old "god of the gaps" argument.

Luckily, thanks to the Internet making it easier for people to be educated, the amount of atheists is rising. It has doubled over the past 20 years.

There has always been men of doubt, but they were murder for stating their opinion in the past, now we can express with less accusation. Rise will increase exponentially when the closet atheist realize its OKAY to be one.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

It's a proven scientific fact that how human perception causes the universe to be manipulated around us. Perception is everything, so with that statement the impossible can become possible and vice versa.

Weird...I tried to win the Euromillions lottery through my human perception...it didn't work. Am I doing it wrong?

Human perception doesn't manipulate the universe (at least we have no proof to the contrary), it only changes our understanding of a universe that was the same even before we understood.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Originally posted by MrXYZ

There has always been men of doubt, but they were murder for stating their opinion in the past, now we can express with less accusation. Rise will increase exponentially when the closet atheist realize its OKAY to be one.

Totally agree, and I'm happy about it.

Think about it, videos like those below wouldn't have been possible just 50-60 years ago:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Of course humans invented the idea of god. How else are you supposed to control a population? It's also great if they want to go in the military. They'll die for any cause, as long as they get to see Jesus.

The one thing I don't get is, not one historian in the middle east, when Christ lived, ever wrote about Jesus. Now you would think a man walking on water and turning water into wine would gain some press. But he didn't. The only press he got was the 12 disciples. Sounds convenient. And what the hell happened to spirituality? Christians killing people? Where did thou shalt not kill go?

Inquisition, the crusades, religion is responsible for most of the death in this world. You gotta love that, Christians killing people, as long as they twist it, they can do what they please.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
My personal opinion about the existence of a god is that it makes no sense if there is.

If one does exist and created the universe and everything in it, then we must not be alone and there is life everywhere flourishing all over the universe. Because it just makes no sense if there isn't. If there is not life but on our dinky speck of space dust, what, did they/it just sit around for 14 billion years before deciding life was a good idea? Did they/it just get bored one day and decide to add some creatures to it's lifeless universe-sized painting on one insignificant drifting rock?

And if there is life all over the universe created by a god, why did it separate us by such vast distances that we have no easy or likely chance of discovering them? What's up with that?

The idea of an all-encompassing creator god makes no sense to me whatsoever. Man's creation of a god as a means of control makes a lot of sense to me.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join