It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morgan Freeman "I think we invented God."

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Apologies if this has already been said.

God: "I think I invented Morgan Freeman."

Okay.

Carry on.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I have come to the conclusion that man invented god when he realised his own mortality. I don't beleive in god myself and have accepted that one day I will die and cease to exsist.

I don't like the idea of not exsisting nor do I think I can truely grasp it. As my thinking is unlikely to be original it seems reasonable to me that other people who fear there death and the non exsisting bit invented a god and afterlife to make themselves feel better, after a while it turned into a way to control people.

Religion is for the weak minded who are unable to decide for themselves or in my opinion face there mortality.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by iIuminaIi
reply to post by wmd_2008

VICE - VERSA

www.youtube.com...

My link has FACTS and a scientific methodology to back it, NOT a bunch of men in frocks preaching about a NONE existant being.

Also when you provide links to CLOWNS like this everyone one will SEE what BS it is

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
This is an ancient debate people, and it will never go away, until everyone reaches the point that they actually could understand the differences between God, and GOD...

I find it funny that each faction (so far of at least three groups, being evolution, creationism, and intelligent design)

In evolution, it is the strong force, overcoming the weak force, in order to become the dominant form/energy..

Following that path, has organic representations based upon the Lion mentality of course, and a few other "pack orientated" species, but falls flat among other forms of species and organism's, so those areas are simply "omitted" from the observations.. Fine...

Then we have Intelligent design, whereas their is evidence of genetic manipulation and now even an alluded to "binary programming" contained within the genetic code of humans, which has rather recently been announced.., but this one also has flaws in it's makeup, because it has yet to be "reproducible" in a scientific setting yet..Fine...

Then there is "creationism".. whereas things were "winked in" and "Winked out" by command of GOD...
well (believe it or not) there is proof of the winking in and out found in the laboratories today, in particle accelerators, and has been observed happening on a subatomic and atomic scale, where particles of matter/energy simply for unknown reasons "wink in", exist, and then can also "wink out", and have been recorded doing as such...

This is in the realm of quantum entanglement and hyper string theories.. and yet it too, has issues with larger diameter models and of course the infamous "God Particle" that has been alluded to, yet cannot be found (as far as I am concerned can never be found, as that is absolution, and cannot be supported), so one is then left with (in all three categories BTW)... a simple word, applied:

FAITH....

It is in all three branches that it exists in, as all three have physical evidence for their particular viewpoints, but all three lack a "unification formula" to tie it altogether.. so it becomes an act of "faith" to maintain it's hypotheticals and theories, until one can achieve a modicum of "repeatable" results, which all three cannot do...

It then is a simple act of mental masturbation, for which all three do each day, in order to continue the "faith"....

Personally:

I understand GOD exists, even goes by "The Creator"... but it is based upon a physical example (in more then one occasion) that has happened to myself with repeatable results, to validate my understandings..

To each their own, but we never did invent GOD, we have invented many God's and many still are given dominion over a person, by the persons own free will, otherwise they would all fade into history, as as insignificant as they truly are, having served their purposes by the few, or the many..

Man makes up many things, and deals with many situations, but there is no way, for man to actually make GOD, only God's and lesser deities by the actions he/she partakes "in"...

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by iIuminaIi

You know, plagiarism is a crime

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I think we used to be multi-dimensional beings ourselves and have lost touch with that ability, but not the memories so much, which lie in the unconscious. Over time we've become corrupt/have been corrupted by our own delusions or other beings, and are now mostly lost. So as we became deluded things started to make less sense. Then you have the added possibility that Extraterrestrials that were either deluded or that actually thought they were God, told early Humans they were God and we fell for it.

You could check Gnosticism with some of this. This extract explains the theory behind it, but there's plenty more on the page linked and in the Gnostic Gospels if you check for them. You should be looking for Archons.

In Gnostic psychology, the noetic science of the Mystery Schools, Archons are an alien force that intrudes subliminally upon the human mind and deviates our intelligence away from its proper and sane applications. They are not what makes us act inhumanely, for we all have the potential to go against our innate humanity, violating the truth in our hearts, but they make us play out inhumane behavior to weird and violent extremes.

Left to our own devices, we would sometimes act inhumanely and then correct it, contain the aberration. Obviously, we do not always do so. In the exaggeration of our insane and inhumane tendencies, and in extreme, uncorrected deviance from our innate intelligence, Gnostics saw the signature of an alien species that piggy-backs on the worst human failings.

Hence, Archons are psycho-spiritual parasites. Yet as offspring of the Aeon Sophia, they are also our cosmic kin.

Working through telepathy and suggestion, the Archons attempt to deviate us from our proper course of evolution. Their most successful technique is to use religious ideology to insinuate their way of thinking and, in effect, substitute their mind-set for ours. According to the Gnostics, Judeo-Christian salvationism is the primary ploy of the Archons, an alien implant.

Source : The Enigma of the Archons

Apologies if that seems insane, but I don't think there's any easily acceptable answer to this problem.
edit on 11-6-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
I guess Morgan Freeman never heard the story of Yeshua, who was nailed to a cross for saying he was YHVH and who went to that deathwillingly and refused to recant when given the chance. I think i will believe Yeshua over Mr. Freeman. Mr. Freeman never allowed himself to be nailed to a cross to save anyone.

But how do you know it isn't just a story? How do you know for sure that anyone was nailed to a cross to save anyone? You weren't there, so you can't know for sure. You can choose to believe it, but no one knows for sure. What Morgan Freeman says is just as valid as what you say. At least admit that it's all about what we choose to believe, because the facts just aren't known.

I agree with what another poster said. We may or may not have invented a creator, but the bearded man on the throne who gets mad at us, and wants us to worship him above all others is definitely an invention.

Of course you can know for sure, but many don't WANT confirmation today. Many reject their God because they've been raised in a generation where every form of media tells them what they think. Every form of media preaches self, materialism, man, science and evolution. The past two generations are products of these messages. Hitler did it - he changed the beliefs and ideology of his countrymen, particularly the youth, through the forms of media in his day and the schools. I'd venture to guess that a young adult has heard or read "There is no God" thousands of times in his young life - along with the phrase "religion controls", "you are god", "aliens are real", and people that don't conform are "bigots, haters and delusional". Yet, these same youth see the camps coming and see the laws being put on the books to take away their rights, see the horrific Nazi themed Denver Airport murals...and cannot connect the two. That "mad God" has a plan and it goes like this: He chooses a people as His Portion in this world through which His light and love can be shown to the world. The nations of Christians are so blatantly and obviously blessed when compared to all the other nations in the world, and yet, they throw it all away because their enemies know exactly what entices them to renounce the God of their fathers - immorality and the love of things. And yet, the very descendants of His faithful don't understand the "mad God's" repeated warnings that the darkness in this world is only held back by the strength of His Light, and that terrible consequences follow rejection. These very descendants who now reject this loving and protective God, are now at the whim of darkness because they have no clue that it's enveloped them by the power of the mind. They therefore will now fight it's cause because they've come to know it's evil as "good". They begin to fight for the murder of millions of babies as a "right", for drugs to be legalised despite it shattering millions of lives, for new morals that lead millions to jail and prison, for the belief that man is god and king which leads to beliefs in euthanasia, eugenics and other dastardly ideas of playing God.

This "mad God" idea has been placed into your head by those who fight against Him. This very same "mad God" provided the salvation, THE WAY, home. Two days are nearly done - darkness knows this - and yet you reject the very "mad God" that is Light. A Christian has no doubt whatsoever in the life of Jesus, His death and resurrection. Why? Because in AN INSTANT He allows you to know and the only difference between you and I is that I humbled my heart and asked Him to please show me what was happening in the world, to please let me have Faith, to have mercy on me because I was ready to know the truth. Why is this vital? GOD IS TRUTH. God isn't a physical church with its man made doctrines, He is sought by you in the privacy of your room. His words to you as placed in scripture are the start of your journey, you get out of them something new each and every time that you read and pray and meditate upon them. Of course you can "know" that He exists, but first you must do some thinking to determine why you choose to believe lies that says you can't?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Our creators are from the stars.....but its not God/Jesus. Its Aliens.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
We didn't create god we created gods mainly as a way of describing the natural world and the things that happen. And we did it over and over again.
As for Christianity I like Joseph Atwills take on the subject.

What if the Romans in particular the Flavians and Josephus who was adopted into the Flavian family created Christianity to undercut messianic Judaism in much the same way as Ptolemy Soter 4 centuries earlier had created the cult of Serapis to better rule over the Egyptians. And what if anybody that decoded this secret was killed or disappeared for centuries including Christopher Marlowe and that his close peer the Dark Lady, the feminist poet Amelia Bassano Lanier was the real Shakespeare and coded this secret in Shakespearean literature so that she could write about it with out being put to death as Marlowe had.
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Caesars Messiah the Roman Conspiracy to Create Jesus.
by Joseph Atwill
pg 394
JOSEPHUS - Originally Josephus bar Matthias (37-100 C.E.), he took the name Flavius Josephus on being adopted into the Imperial Flavian family. He claimed to originally have been a general in Galilee who recognized that the traditional Hebrew prophecy about the new world ruler applied to Vespasian. He abandoned Jews and sided with the Romans. He was given an apartment in the emperor's own townhouse and wrote the authorized history War of the Jews, which was criticized by contemporaries for fictionalizing history and containing scholastic puzzles. The Romans erected a statue in his honor.
pg 21 - 22
He was born in 37 C.E. into the royal family of Judea, the Maccabees. Like Jesus, Josephus was a child prodigy who astounded his elders with his knowledge of Judaic law. Josephus also claimed to have been a member of each of the Jewish sects of his era, the Sadducees, the Pharisees, and the Essenes.
When Jewish rebellion against Rome broke out, in 66 C.E., though he had no described military background and believed the cause hopeless, Josephus was given command of the revolutionary army of Galilee. Taken captive, he was brought before the Roman general Vespasian, to whom he presented himself as a prophet. At this point, God, rather conveniently spoke to Josephus and informed him that his favor had switched from the Jews to the Romans. Josephus then claimed that Judaisms messianic prophecies foresaw not a Jewish Messiah, but Vespasian, whom Josephus predicted would become "lord of all mankind."
After this came to pass, so to speak, and Vespasian was proclaimed emperor, he rewarded Josephus' clairvoyance by adopting him. Thus, the Jewish rebel Josephus bar Matthias became Flavius Josephus, the son of Caesar. He became an ardent supporter of Rome's conquest of Judea, and when Vespasian returned to Rome to be crowned Emperor, Josephus stayed behind to assist the new emperor's son Titus with the siege of Jerusalem.
After Jerusalem had been destroyed, Josephus took up residence within the Flavian court at Rome, where he enjoyed the patronage of Vespasian and the subsequent Flavian emperors, Titus and Domitian. It was while he was living in Rome that he Josephus wrote his two major works. War of The Jews a description of the 66 - 73 C.E. war between the Romans and the Jews, and Jewish Antiquities, a history of the Jewish People.
Josephus' histories are of great significance to Christianity. Virtually all that we know regarding the social context of the New Testament is derived from them. Without these works, the very dating of the events of the New Testament would be impossible.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

I believe you frame the question wrong... Morgan Freeman didn't mean that we created god in a literal sense. Like we we're here, then created an all knowing being...

He meant that God doesn't exist, and we created the fiction that is god through imagination.

And he's right, that's exactly what happened. Ideas are viral, they infect other brains. Somebody created the fiction of God and it went Viral because it was a notion backed by governments to help instill order. It's the very first usage of propaganda, which is where Adolf Hitler got the idea from.

You took the answer out of context and spun it into a realm that cannot be so... If God exists and he made us in his image we couldn't then turn around and make him...

If reality didn't exist until God, then most certainly God came first... Except he doesn't exist and he's a fiction of the greatest magnitude, which makes the rest of this thread pretty much useless.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LightBright

Yes, we humans didn't create God........we created many Gods.

But why?

Does God represent a cure for human mortality? Does God represent our easy answer to
frightening and difficult questions?

....maybe

But to me God is found in the enigma of each of us having our own separate and unique sentience.

Here we are, afloat on a small blue planet, around a small yellow sun, surrounded by VASTNESS of
space that boggles most of our minds....and yet...here we are...alone...unique...aware...and totally
separate from each other.

Our bodies are hosts to billions of organisms, each of which is pursuing a separate path,
fulfilling a separate purpose, and none of them ostensibly capable of changing places.

It's the old question Why are we here?...or...Why am I here?

Why am I here, alone in my consciousness, on this tiny blue ball.

And why am I here now...considering the vast amount of time this planet has been capable
of harboring life, why now? And why human? And why not any other planet in the universe
why life could exist?

I don't know the answers to these questions, but to me, these questions represent evidence
of some larger picture that we cannot understand.

You can call it God if you like....I call it the life force....it exists in all of us, and in all life...
and I am proof of it.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
reply to post by daaskapital

i read the Sumerian kings list and it mentioned kings that lived and ruled as Gods more than 30,000 years before the flood.

that would put me at about 45,000 B.C.

how far must I go back to find these atheist utopia's you speak of?

to what society are you referring?

notice how I didn't end the sentence above with a preposition?

Perhaps i should re-evaluate my original statement.

Society came before the idea of God, i will tell you that. Something would have to happen for a society to include the idea of God. Ideas do not spring up out of no where.

As for the kings as god statement. The idea of God as in a creator entity is drastically different to the idea of a mortal, a king, ruling as a God.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Prezbo369

I guess Morgan Freeman never heard the story of Yeshua, who was nailed to a cross for saying he was YHVH and who went to that deathwillingly and refused to recant when given the chance. I think i will believe Yeshua over Mr. Freeman. Mr. Freeman never allowed himself to be nailed to a cross to save anyone.

The difference is Mr Freeman actually exists, whereas your imaginary friend doesn't and never has existed.

Plus Mr Freeman won't ever ask/demand you to mutilate your children's (or your own) genitalia, commit genocide, infanticide or willingly allow himself to be nailed by a group of Roman soldiers.
edit on 10-6-2012 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

After you are dead, you might be remembered 30 years later. This "imaginary" friend you speak of is still talked about 2000+ years later, and our very measurement of time itself is based on when he walked this Earth. There is more proof Jesus walked this Earth, than you existing.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZIPMATT

Which then , is the logical approach to finding the truth ??
That of the atheist , who declares (like a buffoon) "But its impossible!" Answer 2 ?

You'd have to search far and wide to find an atheist that says "its impossible!" to the claims made by theists that a god exists.

However finding theists that would cry "its impossible!" when asked whether or not it is possible their god doesn't exist, wouldn't be very hard at all.....

Also most atheists would take the time to learn exactly what logic is before attempting to use it in a discussion....

Well, the process of deduction is not the be all and and end all of logic . But to reach a conclusion , ie , a clearly perceptible fact , or set of them , requires a process of addition .

Yes you do find atheists claiming the word 'impossible' . All the time
. Does the OP serve as example ?

Yes it does .

While the word 'impossible' doesnt generally belong in a truly logical approach . Thus the atheist has no claim to logic in his approach .

The claim , that 'God is impossible' even translates as 'a-theist' _as in without his acceptance of the possibility of God. The atheist is defined by his denial . Its what makes him an ass .

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Humans are not computers and therefore not ruled by logical rigidity, they are ruled by survivalist instincts that allows us a fight or flight response. the human brain i believe is similar to a quantum computer where all possible eventualities are considered and instinct and urgency force a response. the question that drove the human notion of the divine/ creator was the question meaning of life and what is beyond our earth and in the stars. as there was no pressure for an instinctive response and no answer has ever been proved right or wrong it has formulated over time into an accepted possibility as it cant actually be definitively proved wrong as we know very little about our history and know nothing at all of our future.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
So, the guy who has played God believes that we invented God. Not much of a headline, but it got me thinking about a very specific origin that is closely related to the stuff discussed on this forum.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

My question is...

If the corporeal Homo Sapiens brain is the Alpha and Omega of the Earth-centric human being's entire physical existence (meaning that there is no afterlife) then how could the very first human being (or sentient being other than Homo Sapiens, for that matter) have been capable of inventing a non-corporeal, imperceptible being that is not only self aware and intelligent, but has the capacity to bring literally everything that exists as physical (and therefore corporeal) into existence by its will alone, while requiring no physical genesis of its own?

The corporeal brain, as has been proven again and again, is rigidly logical, and yet the human mind has been able to overcome this logical rigidity and force its brain to accept the obvious logical impossibility that the existence of such a physically active being presents. Yes, ignorance and existential fear could easily allow for the dissemination of such a notion, but how could the very first intelligent, sentient brain (whether Homo Sapiens or alien - for those who blame it all on extra-terrestrials) have even "gone there" without anything pulling it in that direction? Let's face it, the original notion itself had absolutely nothing suggesting its conceptual existence if such a notion is based on nothing whatsoever beyond wishful thinking. If you study creativity and inventiveness, you discover that creativity and invention are reconfigurations of existent notions, and that even the most novel concept has logical linkage with a previous notion or concept. Well, except for this very inexplicable concept.

This mystery may seem fairly simple at first blush, but give it a moment before you reply. It really is not a simple question. Any seriously considered suggestions?

There is the possibility that the first person to invent this idea did not believe it themselves. It could come from something as innocent as trying to console a friend who has lost a loved one (it's ok, they aren't gone, the will live on after life, you will see them again) or from something more menacing like control (do as I say or you will not have peace in the life after this). The person hearing this may have reason to trust the person saying it (who does not really believe it) and therefore believes and teaches it to others as well. You could also include it as misunderstandings of elder teachings, like the childhood game in which a secret is whispered from one person to the next and by the time it gets to the last person, it is something completely different.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Far worse and numerous travesties have occurred, what makes you so certain this event was ever divine in nature?

Also how can Yeshua refer to Jesus if Jews follow the old testament exclusively?
edit on 11-6-2012 by slayer420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
In addition, the idea of a supreme being, ruler, etc.. is not unknown to human experience. We have always had kings, rulers, and leaders. It is not a far stretch to invent one higher than the one you are directly under.

Many things were worshiped in the past, such as the sun, and it was thought to be a life giver. This makes some sense considering it is tied to the success of crops, etc... So we have a source for a mighty ruler and a life giver. God is apparently in our form, which wasn't too hard for them to come up with. What exactly was it that we couldn't possibly have invented without it existing in some form again?
edit on 11-6-2012 by notquiteright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd

The difference is Mr Freeman actually exists, whereas your imaginary friend doesn't and never has existed.

Plus Mr Freeman won't ever ask/demand you to mutilate your children's (or your own) genitalia, commit genocide, infanticide or willingly allow himself to be nailed by a group of Roman soldiers.
edit on 10-6-2012 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

After you are dead, you might be remembered 30 years later. This "imaginary" friend you speak of is still talked about 2000+ years later, and our very measurement of time itself is based on when he walked this Earth. There is more proof Jesus walked this Earth, than you existing.

And yet, for the 30 years or more that one will be remembered, Jesus was not, for it was at least that much time or more before the gospels appeared. Odd.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join