It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morgan Freeman "I think we invented God."

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
So, the guy who has played God believes that we invented God. Not much of a headline, but it got me thinking about a very specific origin that is closely related to the stuff discussed on this forum.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

My question is...

If the corporeal Homo Sapiens brain is the Alpha and Omega of the Earth-centric human being's entire physical existence (meaning that there is no afterlife) then how could the very first human being (or sentient being other than Homo Sapiens, for that matter) have been capable of inventing a non-corporeal, imperceptible being that is not only self aware and intelligent, but has the capacity to bring literally everything that exists as physical (and therefore corporeal) into existence by its will alone, while requiring no physical genesis of its own?

The corporeal brain, as has been proven again and again, is rigidly logical, and yet the human mind has been able to overcome this logical rigidity and force its brain to accept the obvious logical impossibility that the existence of such a physically active being presents. Yes, ignorance and existential fear could easily allow for the dissemination of such a notion, but how could the very first intelligent, sentient brain (whether Homo Sapiens or alien - for those who blame it all on extra-terrestrials) have even "gone there" without anything pulling it in that direction? Let's face it, the original notion itself had absolutely nothing suggesting its conceptual existence if such a notion is based on nothing whatsoever beyond wishful thinking. If you study creativity and inventiveness, you discover that creativity and invention are reconfigurations of existent notions, and that even the most novel concept has logical linkage with a previous notion or concept. Well, except for this very inexplicable concept.

This mystery may seem fairly simple at first blush, but give it a moment before you reply. It really is not a simple question. Any seriously considered suggestions?

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

how could the very first intelligent, sentient brain (whether Homo Sapiens or alien - for those who blame it all on extra-terrestrials) have even "gone there" without anything pulling it in that direction?

Imagination (I can't believe you left out this BIG factor) and a need to find "explanations" for natural phenomena like rain, lightening, day/night progression, etc.

Something/someone all powerful, they may have thought, was doing these things. Over time stories, legends, led to "beliefs".

BTW if you've ever seen "Through the Wormhole", the show Freeman co-created and hosts, you wouldn't be surprised he thinks we invented gods.

I lean towards that thinking myself.
edit on 6/10/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I guess Morgan Freeman never heard the story of Yeshua, who was nailed to a cross for saying he was YHVH and who went to that deathwillingly and refused to recant when given the chance. I think i will believe Yeshua over Mr. Freeman. Mr. Freeman never allowed himself to be nailed to a cross to save anyone.

+40 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

How does allowing yourself to be killed prove god?

+49 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
I guess Morgan Freeman never heard the story of Yeshua, who was nailed to a cross for saying he was YHVH and who went to that deathwillingly and refused to recant when given the chance. I think i will believe Yeshua over Mr. Freeman. Mr. Freeman never allowed himself to be nailed to a cross to save anyone.

The difference is Mr Freeman actually exists, whereas your imaginary friend doesn't and never has existed.

Plus Mr Freeman won't ever ask/demand you to mutilate your children's (or your own) genitalia, commit genocide, infanticide or willingly allow himself to be nailed by a group of Roman soldiers.
edit on 10-6-2012 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I like Morgan Freeman, its time us anti-christian or anti-religious people that STILL understand spirituality start kicking mankind by influencing people about our own beliefs and such, just as the religious sector does itself....

So speak out and we change the world. Good on him.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
It would depend on how he's defining God. As a physicist, I define God as the sum total of all existence, but that doesn't mean pantheism. Panentheism is more fitting. If he means a bearded man sitting on a throne in the sky, then yes, we invented that.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

hey =6....there's no proof. huh!
but I have all these troubled times that I handed over to Yahweh and they were smashed to bits as if the troubles were just a test......then....I discovered 10 years ago that every possible question is answered in that book of scriptures.....from how to act to what to be thinking when something rears it's ugly head. good instructions before leaving earth

one time my wife and two youngins were worried about the letter we got from the bank about our five acres and home......we had 60 days to pay in full......thfee days before it was due.....sweat ..... sweat..... we plopped the cash down on the desk and never looked back.....
edit on 10-6-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahushua is our new King !!

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

"If you study creativity and inventiveness, you discover that creativity and invention are reconfigurations of existent notions, and that even the most novel concept has logical linkage with a previous notion or concept. Well, except for this very inexplicable concept."

So, even though every idea has a source, a belief in God does not have one, for if it did, one must eventually accept the existence of God as fact; this notion, unlike every other thought or idea humanity as ever had appeared from nowhere?

Sounds like a stretch to me.

There is hard evidence of God's existence and descriptions of God's appearance and the nature of his habitation and the manner in which God exists relative to the created world; consistent across cultures and through time.

Many people reject them and for a reason; the reason being...those descriptions don't give them the power they desire.

That humanity has decided to engage in a never ending debate about such a topic suggests to me that everyone knows God exists...but something is trying to control how people think of God and therefore control people and through this mechanism become something 'like God'.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
So when Morgan Freeman dies, and is standing before his Creator, he's going to say ... 'you are a figment of my imagination .. go away'. I'm wondering if God will be amused at the arrogance of Freeman.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Good old Mr. Freeman.

He is of course correct.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Never met Mr. Freeman personally but I know a few people who are well acquainted with him and say that he is one of the most down to earth and respectable people you could meet.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY

but I have all these troubled times that I handed over to Yahweh and they were smashed to bits as if the troubles were just a test......then....I discovered 10 years ago that every possible question is answered in that book of scriptures.....from how to act to what to be thinking when something rears it's ugly head. good instructions before leaving earth

one time my wife and two youngins were worried about the letter we got from the bank about our five acres and home......we had 60 days to pay in full......thfee days before it was due.....sweat ..... sweat..... we plopped the cash down on the desk and never looked back.....

P.S. I consider myself a Christian, but was more interested in how Morgan Freeman defined it. I don't think much of his intellectual capabilities anymore than I think of Kirk Cameron's.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

I agree. I have long said that man created God in MAN'S image, not the other way around. I agree with Freeman. We created the idea of an all powerful creator and caretaker out of imagination and a need to have a "story". Most people are very uncomfortable with the unknown, so there's a need to have an explanation.

The world will be an interesting place to observe, as more and more people come to this conclusion.

edit on 6/10/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY

I've seen, heard and read similar stories from other religions. Your experiences are not unique to the Christian faith. And most of those stories didn't involve a "book of scriptures".

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
“God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man brings back dinosaurs.”

and women inherit the earth !

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

how could the very first intelligent, sentient brain (whether Homo Sapiens or alien - for those who blame it all on extra-terrestrials) have even "gone there" without anything pulling it in that direction?

Imagination (I can't believe you left out this BIG factor) and a need to find "explanations" for natural phenomena like rain, lightening, day/night progression, etc.

Something/someone all powerful, they may have thought, was doing these things. Over time stories, legends, led to "beliefs".

BTW if you've ever seen "Through the Wormhole", the show Freeman co-created and hosts, you wouldn't be surprised he thinks we invented gods.

I lean towards that thinking myself.
edit on 6/10/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

...and I quote...

If you study creativity and inventiveness, you discover that creativity and invention are reconfigurations of existent notions, and that even the most novel concept has logical linkage with a previous notion or concept. Well, except for this very inexplicable concept.

Imagination doesn't answer the question. I specifically made that point already, because I expected 10 similar posts right off the bat. Imagination is not truly original, and that's been proven again and again in studies of imagination and the creative process.

Oh, and I'm not surprised that Morgan Freeman is agnostic. I even stated that in the 2nd sentence.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I wouldn't take much stock in something he said... just because he is a public figure.

Although in saying that, I agree 100%!

Man created god to cope with creation, there was a time when evolution and biology did not exist. Human kind needed something to explain existence, we always have and always will!

The same goes for religion, it was created to control and instill morals on people that were barbarians until religion came into existence.

I think it was a good thing though, just imagine the anarchy on the streets! The majority of people act morally in fear of God or a supreme being that will judge them in their after lives.

Just imagine what it would be like if we did not have that "fear" or moral code!?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

But how do you know it isn't just a story? How do you know for sure that anyone was nailed to a cross to save anyone? You weren't there, so you can't know for sure. You can choose to believe it, but no one knows for sure. What Morgan Freeman says is just as valid as what you say. At least admit that it's all about what we choose to believe, because the facts just aren't known.

I agree with what another poster said. We may or may not have invented a creator, but the bearded man on the throne who gets mad at us, and wants us to worship him above all others is definitely an invention.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm amused that you think there's a God...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join