It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret of ageing found: Japanese scientists pave way to everlasting life

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
This is good news, but not something that could actually be put into practice as of yet. As the article states, stopping this particular enzyme from functioning does considerably slow down or stop aging, but also effectively renders the immune-system ineffective. I suppose until more research produces a fix, one could always live forever inside of a plastic bubble. That would seem like an interesting trade-off. Near immortality, but forever condemned to a life of solitude in a bubble...

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by draco49
I kinda think that life-extension science is a bad idea. The planet is already heavily overpopulated, and women keep having babies. On a macro level, we need old people to die off at a faster rate than new babies are created, or women need to stop having so many babies. While both babies and old people are incredibly frustrating, old people can at least communicate and tell good stories. So, I think women need to cease and desist on the baby output. Have all the sex you want, but take the pill; It's a lot less expensive than raising children.

love this!
you are my hero

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Humanity is too greedy by its very nature. I really see no good that could come from this; at least, not within my lifetime. We haven't evolved into a state where this could be beneficial. There are people procreating, though there is no need aside for some internal need for self fulfillment. We still aren't crawling but we seem to be trying to run a marathon. Even if they could make eternal life happen, Mother Nature and time would still take its due IMO.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by hellzdoms

Well, they better hurry up and solve the problem, cause after the nuclear disaster, the people living in Japan aren't going to be around much longer. The ocean life is glowing...their food supply. And they've all been poisoned. I just hope reacter 4 doesn't spill!
I wonder if radiation poisoning effects your looks...

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by texasoutlaw
reply to post by draco49

I disagree the more we know the more advanced we can become. which means we could learn so much more and inhabit planets with no way of living. This would be earths greatest acheivment

I understand and respect your POV on this. If the last 100 years has taught us anything, it's that increasing technical knowledge of our universe has been at the expense of spiritual knowledge. We've seen exponential growth in science concurrent with a similarly exponential decline in our spirituality. There has to be a point where the undeniable reality of consciousness and the ever-evolving understanding of our physical world merge. So, I agree that if we, as humans, continue to increase our knowledge of the physical world while allowing our understanding of spirituality to atrophy, we are doomed as a species.

My personal experience has shown me, without a shred of doubt, that we are spiritual beings without a beginning or end, and that our manifestation in this physical reality is merely an emergent expression of consciousness. The idea that we are physical beings who experience spirituality is backwards. We are spiritual beings experiencing humanity.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Hmmmm ... 5 pages of responses and as far as I can tell, not one person has questioned the legitimacy of this article.
There are lots of Google hits regarding this so-called "discovery" and yet when investigated, each one of them cites the same, single source from a Russian tabloid website. Even that originating Russian article fails to identify it's own source and also fails to name any of the Japanese scientists involved.
Checking on the Osaka University website also produces NO mention of this research or peer review or associated papers.

Don't you think that a discovery of such magnitude and importance would immediately qualify for a Nobel ? And yet, we're expected to believe that these Japanese scientists decided to make the world aware of their "fountain of eternal youth" discovery by way of a Russian tabloid website ?

Anyone else detect a rotten odour drifting this way ?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
We don't have a overpopulation problem so much as a overconsumption, corruption, and waste problem.

I think anyone whom wishes to have life extention treatment should do so only under contractual agreement of sterilization first off, and anything outside of this current generation should only be allowed 1 child per couple max..a slow growth is fine, and even desirable (necessity is the mother of invention..its time we get out into space, and the less comfortable this planet is, the more a honest and earnest push will be made to get teraforming mars, colonization of the moon, proper big space stations, etc.

Saying its best not to extend life due to a potential of overpopulation is equal to saying you wouldn't cure the black plague because there may not be enough food if people live. just on principle alone, you should ignore such a disussion. There are logical ways to control impact. You can live on quite little and survive actually...technology will solve this issue.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Obviously in the early stages of development...

By casting the protein “into sleep” and slowing the ageing process, scientists also block the body’s entire immune system. So far, a way of stopping the ageing and keeping the immune system working has not been found.

I was just thinking that even if they don't figure out the immune system problem, this breakthrough could be great for long space travel.
If the aging process can be suspended then theoretically a person can be protected from infection in a sterile capsule or environment.

This breakthrough could have many applications.

Interesting.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by draco49

OR just use a condom if you don't want to produce a child. This isn't just a woman thing, if you have sex you risk having a child. Responsibility 101.. it's not just for women.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
Hmmmm ... 5 pages of responses and as far as I can tell, not one person has questioned the legitimacy of this article.
There are lots of Google hits regarding this so-called "discovery" and yet when investigated, each one of them cites the same, single source from a Russian tabloid website. Even that originating Russian article fails to identify it's own source and also fails to name any of the Japanese scientists involved.
Checking on the Osaka University website also produces NO mention of this research or peer review or associated papers.

Don't you think that a discovery of such magnitude and importance would immediately qualify for a Nobel ? And yet, we're expected to believe that these Japanese scientists decided to make the world aware of their "fountain of eternal youth" discovery by way of a Russian tabloid website ?

Anyone else detect a rotten odour drifting this way ?

I tend to not accept such claims until there is a product pushed out that I can physically touch (or the like...a treatment I can buy, etc).
But I do see this as a natural progression of our species..and it it literally today, or in 30 years, this event will indeed happen and we will have to discuss the implications of our species as a whole..the fear of going from a sentenced and determined life to a open ended life of choice on end.

Personally, I could do a few thousand years quite happily...perhaps even make it to the 5 digits, but eventually I would want an end. Once the interest stops, then the existance becomes pointless...so, ya...either end it all, or total brain wipe, keeping language and basic skills only.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Life extension is a very important and good discovery. Of course you will get people coming out against it, saying how Earth can't hold us, etc. And hey, they're right, but it's only a problem because other key ingredients to the great evolutionary equation are being held back from us. S.M.I^2.L.E.(Space Migration, Intelligence Increase, Life-Extension) So this is a great thing, but along with this we're going to have to START LEAVING THE PLANET. And I don't mean here a couple astronauts leaving for a little bit. I mean whole groups of people heading for space and living there. Creating our own worlds in space, with no limits whatsoever to where we can go or what we can do.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
its actually called hyaluronic acid which is the most powerful anti aging

go on youtube and you'll find a video on how in japan many 90 year olds smoke more than 5 packs a day and still healthy with no wrinkles .......

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

I kinda think that life-extension science is a bad idea. The planet is already heavily overpopulated, and women keep having babies. On a macro level, we need old people to die off at a faster rate than new babies are created, or women need to stop having so many babies. While both babies and old people are incredibly frustrating, old people can at least communicate and tell good stories. So, I think women need to cease and desist on the baby output. Have all the sex you want, but take the pill; It's a lot less expensive than raising children.

True, but the world is only over-populated because of gross mismanagement of resources. We have plenty of food, water and housing to go around but consumerism and western culture has made sure that sharing the earth's resources will probably never happen. Which is funny, considering if we don't, the planet's f#ed anyway. Ironic, that the few who horde all our wealth and natural resources and technology won't have a planet left to enjoy it with.

The earth could sustain any number of people if we didn't live in a sick and manipulated society and where technology and medical science wasn't horded and controlled by corporations. The worst thing we ever did to ourselves was privatize science and medicine. And now we're starting to privatizing nature. Not good!

Unless of course you're a multi-trillionaire, then you could probably build a space station and take some of this Japanese life juice with ya and just wait until we all die out and the earth recalibrates. Might get a bit lonely but hey, you're rich as f# who cares!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Governments would never let this happen. This planet is already over populated. And if they did allow this, couples would have to be limited to having only one child.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Note it's the "secret of aging," but not the secret against death. It probably wouldn't do much to help a lot of people because they choose to make certain choices. The upperclassmen would still be reckless with our food and things too. Not sure how what they discovered would affect us in those situations. I would hope for the best.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by hellzdoms
reply to post by Bleeeeep

I think that there is something hidden behind all of this.
Hopefully guys in tin foil hats will tell us the right and wrong

Maybe they just want to raise the retirement age by a few hundred years or so

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa
reply to post by draco49

OR just use a condom if you don't want to produce a child. This isn't just a woman thing, if you have sex you risk having a child. Responsibility 101.. it's not just for women.

I did not mean to infer that safe-sex is solely a woman's responsibility. However, the reality is that conception, pregnancy, and birth all take place within the woman, not the man. Therefore, it seems to me that the ultimate responsibility for such pregnancy resides with the woman (assuming that the sex is consensual). As a human being, one has to take responsibility for one's own body. Besides, condoms are horrible and completely diminish the enjoyment of sex. Suspending a woman's ability to conceive by way of safe hormonal manipulation is logically a better option than putting an artificial barrier between people.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FauxRedHead
reply to post by hellzdoms

I wonder if radiation poisoning effects your looks...

It sure does.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa
reply to post by draco49

I did not mean to infer that safe-sex is solely a woman's responsibility. However, the reality is that conception, pregnancy, and birth all take place within the woman, not the man. Therefore, it seems to me that the ultimate responsibility for such pregnancy resides with the woman (assuming that the sex is consensual). As a human being, one has to take responsibility for one's own body. Besides, condoms are horrible and completely diminish the enjoyment of sex. Suspending a woman's ability to conceive by way of safe hormonal manipulation is logically a better option than putting an artificial barrier between people.

Two things I see wrong with this...
#1. You are supplying 50% of the DNA, so If she gets pregnant then you are 50% responsible. Conception and pregnancy does take place inside the woman's body, but she doesn't do it by herself.
and
#2. Birth Control will not stop you from catching an STD from the woman who got it from her last sexual partner who thought the same way you do.

If you can't control your urges, then it is both the man and woman's responsibility to be safe. Hopefully the woman will have the foresight to say " SORRY! NO GLOVE, NO LOVE!" to protect you both.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

The people that honestly believe that population is a problem need to step up and be their own solution. See, because, it's okay for people like you to tell us how we need to reduce population as long as we're talking about aborting some other woman's child, sending someone else's kid to war, or even genocide against other people (most of the time against brown people, more recently though, Muslims). But the second you're asked to step up and be a part of your own solution then, well, then it's not the same is it?

The problem is, all you people that are too stupid (and you are morons) to think of something other than genocide, YOU are the problem. Just because you call "murder" "abortion" doesn't mean it isn't murder. I like how people actually agree with your statement of killing off old people and children. And then you say: "So, I think women need to cease and desist on the baby output" because that wouldn't have any negative repercussions! People like you shouldn't be able to walk around on the street. You are sick in the head and belong in a nut home.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join