It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children held at Camp Xray, US admits

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
Bout Time, my favorite neo-lib, where have you been?

I don't know if I'd call a 15 year a 'child' per se.
And actually, they're typically called 'homocide bombers'

Thanks! That term was so stupid & overtly Orwellian, that I couldn't remember it if I tried!

But come on.....even putting the pro/con argument aside for the Cuba detention camp..........12-13-14-15-16.....you think anyone that age was going to be more than a Russian assault rifle toting piece of cannon fodder!?!? There's no way that there could be an argument made to support holding a kid as a "knowledge laden Al-Qeda operative".

But..........Fascist states have a warped sense of perspective, no?

dom

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 11:47 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

BBC News discussing the child prisoners. Looks like this definitely happened.

"US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has defended the detention of the boys - aged between 13 and 15 - at Camp Delta, saying they are "enemy combatants", captured while fighting for the Taleban or al-Qaeda in Afghanistan.

General Richard Myers, chairman of the US military's Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the boys were being held "for a very good reason - for our safety". "

How heart warming. Anyone from the US heard this story in the US news media? Just one more case of the American people being denied the truth or has responsible reporting won the day?

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Why are you all disgusted about kids being at Camp X-Ray when you don't even know what they did? You're all just assuming that they're innocent kids who were FORCED to fight back. You don't know what those kids have done, they're not your average kids from Junior High. I don't think it matters what their age is. I'll give my example again, let's say a 12 year old kid came into your house one day and murdered all of your family, your mom and dad, everyone. THEN would you feel remorse for having the kid be locked away for murdering your family? There's a reason why those "kids" are there in Camp X-Ray, it isn't like the U.S. soldiers just picked any kid at random from Afghanistan.

dom

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 04:16 AM
link   
The issue is that kids can be manipulated very easily. Nearly every country in the world (except the US and some 3rd world dictatorships) agree that crimes committed before the age of 18 shouldn't result in the death penalty because until that age you can't fully understand the ramifications of your actions.

So when we get to 13 year olds, and a couple of 15 year olds, you've got to ask yourself whether or not these kids are directly responsible for their actions. In my opinion they're not, they should be treated humanely and we should try to reintegrate them into society. The same as child soldiers in every other conflict in the world.

That's what the issue is. But if you're happy to have your country acting like some fascist superstate then sure, go ahead, cheer away.

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by 10DeadInside10
I'll give my example again, let's say a 12 year old kid came into your house one day and murdered all of your family, your mom and dad, everyone. THEN would you feel remorse for having the kid be locked away for murdering your family? There's a reason why those "kids" are there in Camp X-Ray, it isn't like the U.S. soldiers just picked any kid at random from Afghanistan.

Let me see, if there is a kid of 12 years old with a weapon and with willing of killing my family this can�t be done by the child itself or thought by him, it�s obvious that he is following direct orders, anyway imagine that the boss that holds that child to tell him afterwards to kill my family, does the same with 20 childs more, so in the same day 20 childs are killing entire families, Who is responsable?
The child being told? or the person who is providing with
info, weapons and orders to the child?
One better question, why kill the child, there is going to be 19 more anyway killing more,
U have to get his boss!!

here is no reason to hold a person below 18 years old in a military camp...
And less reason to try to defend the statements of hold childs for good purposes...

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It should surprise me but it doesn't.
It is a black mark on a great country and it's people.

I believe at least one minor has been released recently.

Of course when Rumsfeld admits children are being held between the ages of 13 and 15 years old is that there age at present.I mean were they originally between the ages of 11 and 13 years when they were first detained.

My gut feeling is that these children were the sons or perhaps daughters (we don't know) of leading Al Qaida or Taliban members and they were held as some kind of hostages that could be used to illicit imformation from their fathers who were either held in Cuba or at large.

The intelligence imformation that they held ,personally, could realistically not be so great so that they must be kept in isolation for over a year.

There is not really much more I can say.It is repulsive to think that on the one hand our governments claim the moral high ground and other do something so uncivilised.

I guess Ghandi's witticism is apt here.
When asked what he thought of Western Civilisation he replied that he thought it would be a good idea.

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 12:06 PM
link   

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoLD aNGeR
Let me see, if there is a kid of 12 years old with a weapon and with willing of killing my family this can�t be done by the child itself or thought by him, it�s obvious that he is following direct orders, anyway imagine that the boss that holds that child to tell him afterwards to kill my family, does the same with 20 childs more, so in the same day 20 childs are killing entire families, Who is responsable?
The child being told? or the person who is providing with
info, weapons and orders to the child?
One better question, why kill the child, there is going to be 19 more anyway killing more,
U have to get his boss!!

here is no reason to hold a person below 18 years old in a military camp...
And less reason to try to defend the statements of hold childs for good purposes...

No, Im just saying, what if there was NO boss who told the kid what to do, the kid just went into your house and killed your family. Keep in mind, there is NO person making them do it. THEN how would you feel if they were put in prison?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join