It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children held at Camp Xray, US admits

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 01:12 PM
link   
www.abc.net.au...

Children held at Camp Xray, US admits

The US military has revealed it is holding juveniles at its high-security prison for terrorists at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, known as Camp Xray.

The commander of the joint task force at Guantanamo, Major General Geoffrey Miller, says more than one child under the age of 16 is at the detention centre.

However, Maj Gen Miller has revealed little more about their welfare.

Maj Gen Miller says the US is holding "juvenile enemy combatants" at the centre, confirming rumours of children being held.

He has refused to reveal how many there are, their exact ages or their countries of origin.

He says they are being well cared for and are kept in facilities separate to adult prisoners.

The children are still being interrogated and will continue to be held at Guantanamo.

About 660 prisoners are in the camp.

They have not been tried or convicted of any offence but are being held as part of what the US calls its war on terror.

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It's starting to get really hideous...

Are any of these news actually being broadcasted in US ? If not, i'd say there's a slight but precise smell of totalitarianism in the air...

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 01:33 PM
link   
This is certainly a practice I do not condone...

This is WRONG, with a capital W....

I don't care if they are "enemy combatants" or not, kids are just that, kids...and as such, are not solely responsible for their actions... These kids should be repatriated immediately, and if they happen to go back to their ways and start lobbing grenades at servicemen...then let them be taken out at that time... May not seem logical...but you gotta give the kid a chance to grow up and change...

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hideous? What is hideous is that children of that age are pressed into fighting. They should be doing kid things, not wrapping their little fingers around the trigger of an AK.
All aspects of it is sad. How long must they stay at Camp Xray, one has to ask, and what will they do when released? The fighting is still happening in Afghanistan, still sniping and ambushes, so it seems logical that if released the fighters would rejoing the fight. Still, it is a shame.

dom

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Thomas, the beauty of the US's governments information policy is that the only thing we know with any certainty is that children are being held at Camp X-Ray.

We have no idea if they were actual combatants, or if they're just relatives of other prisoners, or anything else, because the US government simply will not talk about them, and the US civil administration has no jurisdiction.

I remember this coming up in the past and everybody belittled it, I personally found it difficult to believe, but if this report is correct then I think you should feel somewhat ashamed of your country. But I know you won't.

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The only thing hideous here is your patriotism for this country.

First of all, these people have been held for at least 2 years in Cuba, without any criminal proceedings, no court trials no nothing. Unconstitutional.

And to top it off, yor holding children there. Now some of these childrens can be holding Ak-47's, but many of these children could be innocent, just caught up in a genocide.

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I'm not ashamed of my country, I am quite disgusted with it. This 1984 b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t. has gone far enough.

For all we know, they are referring to the worst american juvenile delinquents who are in boot camp down in Cuba. I don't believe a word I hear on the mass media anymore. It is all a big lie.

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 07:10 AM
link   
"but if this report is correct then I think you should feel somewhat ashamed of your country. But I know you won't"

You're wrong. If this report is correct...I'll be disgusted.

dom

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Yep Gazrok, you tend to be somewhat open to listening to both sides of the argument, which makes you a rare person in the pro-war camp. Most of the warniks on these forums just seem to immediately ignore anything which challenges the US's "squeaky clean image" or introduces the possibility that the US might not be "the greatest country in the world. God Bless America".

There's definitely a brand of patriotic American who are blindly patriotic. Where the blindness is a result of ignorance I don't have such a problem (after all, it's the government/media's fault). It's the people that can see both sides of the argument, and yet will still not acknowledge even the vaguest possibility that the reasons for this war might be other than stated on the box.

In fact, some pro-war people seem to change what they think the main reason is, without even realising they're changing it. Is the reason regime change or WMD? Well it depends when the interview with Bush that you're listening to was recorded...

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Neither...though those are secondary goals, as in every war, the prime reason is economic....
It's just that the secondary goals are more "noble" and "moral", so those are the ones touted...

dom

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Perhaps. Another way of putting "economic" would be "oil".

Personally I think the motivations are more towards isolating anti-US factions inside the Middle East, and hopefully turning the tide in favour of US interests. i.e. the geopolitical argument. Which potentially comes back round to "oil"

If that really is the main reason behind this attack, then the US obviously totally misunderstood the situation... Saddam was doing them a favour keeping Iraq in one peace, and maintaining stability in the region. Without the Gulf War the US would still be propping up that regime...

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Not necessarily....I was leaning more towards the Euro vs. the Dollar, as well as the geo-political influence...

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Who cares if there's kids there? What if a 15 year old kid walked into your house one day and brutally murdered your whole family and got away, THEN would you care if he was put away for a long time? Yeah, maybe some of the kids there were forced to fight, but they fought. Osama Bin Laden was a kid once.....

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 10:55 PM
link   
always have been stolen of their innocence, by the incompetence of their elders. mankind is a clay from birth. that which is around him is what shapes him. no two men were exposed to the same sets of circumstances, so no two humans are alike. that's what makes us human. we all are conscience of our decisions, regardless of our age, but we don't always know the effects of what we do. nor understand why it was wrong.

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I'm not all that shocked people. I mean, this is a country that is perfectly willing to send kids to the gas chamber. why would we treat these kids any different? don't see this kinda outcry for the 17 year old sniper who was shafted and charged in Virgina so they could give him the gas. when he was obviously under the control of his crazy menace of a step-fool i mean father. we murder and lock up kids just like we do adults.

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 02:22 PM
link   
...was to watch the news last night ( it was an accident, I thought Crossfire would be on) and see the propaganda arm ( corp news) pimping for the misAdminstration with this line: "It is reported that teenagers are being held at camp X-Ray"

'Teenagers' !?!?! Like we all don't consider our children 13 -15, well, children?
This is 'suicide bomber' versus 'murder bombers'?

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Bout Time, my favorite neo-lib, where have you been?

I don't know if I'd call a 15 year a 'child' per se.
And actually, they're typically called 'homocide bombers'

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   
"don't see this kinda outcry for the 17 year old sniper who was shafted and charged in Virgina"

I'm sorry, but there's a big difference between the mind of a 12 year old, and a 15 year old, and even moreso with a 17 year old. It's only 3-5 years, but mentally there's a big difference there. From all the kids I've known (from relatives, to friends' kids, to growing up as one), you're really more responsible for your own actions at about 15. Of course there's variance for individuals here, but this is about average. So, to compare a 12 year old in jail, vs a 17 year old in jail, even though only 5 years difference...is like apples and oranges.....

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 06:13 PM
link   
don't like the case G, how about the 12 year old that got life in florida for doing a wrestling move on his cousin that was fatal? he's what 15 now and he'll be behind bars for the rest of his life. also a 15 year old that robbed a liquor store where the clerk was killed, he was tried as an adult and sentenced to life in prison. I think this happened in our president's home state of Texas.

the fact is:

The USA is the only democracy to still use capital punishment against juvenile offenders (convicted criminals under 18 years old). Iran, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Yemen also use capital punishment against juvenile offenders.

[Edited on 24-4-2003 by Saphronia]

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Look, America has become a little fascist and rash, but in reality this is nothing new. Hey at least the kids in these camps are real criminals or threats. We abuse and enslave children in many ways, and most of the one's we punish are just mice in the experiement. So they are all innocent. Yet what can be innocent about someone they picked up on a terror raid??????????

Yeah the kids may be innocent themselves but their parents might not be. So the kids may just be helping the Military do it's job, or maybe the kids have no where else to go. Maybe they need the protection because their parents can't provide such things. Who knows????

All we can pray is that the children will learn right from wrong. Hopefully they feel safe and happy in the United States hands, yet that is hard to imagine.

If anything in this camp needs to be looked at, it is the legality of the Military's right to base there. I don't see how the World allows the US Military to house it's warriors in every region on the planet. We need not cry over who is there. We should cry over WHY they are there. When I say "They", I mean everybody, the suspects in custody and the forces guarding them. This is the true question that needs to be asked.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join