It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is our concept of "The creator" Anthropomorphic?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Title changed because of wrong choice of words

This is really hard to explain but i,ll try my best to get my point accross.

You only have to read any religious book or scripture to find examples of people attributing humanist traits to the diety they mention. Its almost as though there trying to create God in their image to use a biblical pun.

Why is this the case?

Would it upset you to find out that the creator did,nt care what came of the Big Bang as long as the proccess itself proved its own existance?

I admit that you may feel a bit deflated and worthless, but the creator still created you. You are created from the creator and so you are and always will be a little piece of God. Yet this alone is,nt enough.

I find a lot of whats written in religious literature to be nothing more than attempts to establish an emotional, moral or intellectual method of control over anyone who willingly subscribes to it. By telling people that God is just like you. You start to see the creator in the same way as you might a family member, thus reinforcing your commitment and loyalty.

On the other hand theres a lot of wisdom within scriptures, although a lot of it is hidden behind embelished claims and passages that get taken too literaly. This wisdom would be lost to anyone who did,nt subscribe to and study whole heartedly the literature in question.

I was just wondering whether people would still feel the same about their concept of God, if they realised that he never intended to create the human race. We are merely one outcome of a proccess the creator started.
edit on 10-6-2012 by EncompassAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by EncompassAll

Anthropomorphism

Anthropomorphism is any attribution of human characteristics (or characteristics assumed to belong only to humans) to other animals, non-living things, phenomena, material states, objects or abstract concepts, such as organizations, governments, spirits or deities. The term was coined in the mid 1700s.[1][2] Examples include animals and plants and forces of nature such as winds, rain or the sun depicted as creatures with human motivations, and/or the abilities to reason and converse. The term derives from the combination of the Greek ἄνθρωπος (ánthrōpos), "human" and μορφή (morphē), "shape" or "form".

Anthropomorphism is the means.

Archetype

An archetype (play /ˈɑrkɪtaɪp/) is a universally understood symbol, term,[1] or pattern of behavior, a prototype upon which others are copied, patterned, or emulated. Archetypes are often used in myths and storytelling across different cultures.

In psychology, an archetype is a model of a person, personality, or behavior.

In philosophy, archetypes have, since Plato, referred to ideal forms of the perceived or sensible objects or types.

In the analysis of personality, the term archetype is often broadly used to refer to:

A stereotype— a personality type observed multiple times, especially an oversimplification of such a type.
An epitome— a personality type exemplified, especially the "greatest" such example.
A literary term to express details.

Archetype refers to a generic version of a personality. In this sense, "mother figure" may be considered an archetype, and may be identified in various characters with otherwise distinct (non-generic) personalities.

Which is the description

What better way to describe the universe and everything about it.

From cave paintings, petro glyphs, pictograms, ideograms to writing... is the evolution of understanding, and the paradigm that we have since created. We are obsessed with shapes and patterns, and then as to how they relate to us and the world, the universe and consciousness alike.

There's a four fold geometry, and obsession with circles for one half of the world, and then there's a fibonacci sequence, more fractal type of culture, religion, or whatever you want to call it. It is philosophy... this is why geometry is used to express such, that and numbers. Numbers also have significance because they are a product of geometry, such was Pythagoras works.

We communicate and understand via perceptions of the material plane. Everything we know is derived from observation, which then means we copy or reiterate our surroundings in our expressions and understandings. We have seen form, and shape since before we even knew what it was. Well... in it's most basic version, everything we see is triangles and imperfect spheres at any given moment. This is then reflected through self similarity in nature, which has been observed.

There's a reason why almost every single main figure in ancient philosopher also studied geometry, numbers, mathematics(patterns), up to numerology and alchemy. There's an undeniable link between Religion and those subjects, that should not be ignored. As well as our observations of nature and our own interactions, allows for a wealth of characteristics to draw from when addressing the concept of God or the 'Creator'.

I'd say that we were intended... There was obviously a cause, when the gave way to effect... maybe not linearly, but fractal in nature. So what ever is responsible for creation, created something that found its way through causation that resulted in us. What if the 'Creator' knew well of what 'he' was doing, and just set it into motion?

edit on 10-6-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: additional comment

edit on 10-6-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: additional comment

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

There you go Title changed, thanks for heads up.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
He hasn't shown His face. It's only natural that we'd assume He looks like us.

And He told us we were made in His image. He's got to look something like us.

He's got a few more powers though.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

This is my point. Why does he even have to have a face?

When did he tell you that your created in his image?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I heard it's in the Bible.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

O.K Lets say what the Bible says has been taken too literaly. What it actually means is you are made by God from God. Meaning your made in his image means your made of the same thing.

People have read this and Anthropomorphised it by making the assumption that he must look human.

This is exactly what i mean in my OP.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

You have a point.

What we see are merely impulses interpreted by the brain as vision.

Who knows what we BOTH look like.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

awesome thread topic!!!

I have pondered about this before but in the direction of what could god be if not a tiny anthropomorphic being, such as a human..........

i thought along the lines of the seemingly inanimate cycle of nature,,, mathematical and structured by law,, working in order,,, all of our concepts are made possible by the existence of the universe,, but the concept of the machine, or the computer,, that is a concept we are very much interested in for we are a type of machine/computer ourselves.... pieces and parts put together working towards a greater function,,,,

the way people imagine gods intelligence, and perfection,, it reminds me of a machine,, the most perfect and efficient machine,,, would it be able to compute every answer ( know all things),,, would it have emotion?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

awesome thread topic!!!

I have pondered about this before but in the direction of what could god be if not a tiny anthropomorphic being, such as a human..........

i thought along the lines of the seemingly inanimate cycle of nature,,, mathematical and structured by law,, working in order,,, all of our concepts are made possible by the existence of the universe,, but the concept of the machine, or the computer,, that is a concept we are very much interested in for we are a type of machine/computer ourselves.... pieces and parts put together working towards a greater function,,,,

the way people imagine gods intelligence, and perfection,, it reminds me of a machine,, the most perfect and efficient machine,,, would it be able to compute every answer ( know all things),,, would it have emotion?

Very interesting!

What if God never intended there to be a greater function? What if the creator is content knowing that by creating the universe, it shows it exists as the creator. I read an interesting thread that looked at matter as information and the universe is just a proccess. Bringing different information together to create different outcomes and i have tyo say that it works on some level, because the emotion has been taken out of the equation.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx

You have a point.

What we see are merely impulses interpreted by the brain as vision.

Who knows what we BOTH look like.

Very true, and does it really matter what any of us looks like? Consciousness is all we can be certain of. We are conscious, in the respect that we can question. I think there-for i am - Descartes. The Creator had to be conscious in order to create the universe and observe it. So you could say that we are nothing more than conciousness itself, whatever form our physical body takes. Or we are simply information thats brought together in an outcome.

No need to anthropomorphise or add any kind of emotional intent to the proccess.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by EncompassAll

Originally posted by ImaFungi

awesome thread topic!!!

Very interesting!

What if God never intended there to be a greater function? What if the creator is content knowing that by creating the universe, it shows it exists as the creator. I read an interesting thread that looked at matter as information and the universe is just a proccess. Bringing different information together to create different outcomes and i have tyo say that it works on some level, because the emotion has been taken out of the equation.

yes i mean too much thought doesnt need to be put into the specific detail of emotion, that was just something i thought that came up,,, if a god knew everything what would be the point of showing emotion, how would it be surprised etc....

you say what if god never intended there to be a greater function? what do you mean by greater function.... do you mean specific purpose? as opposed to god creating the universe as an experiment, to see what was possible, to test his genius and abilities,,,, your saying if the creator created the universe then kicked back and said everything that happens is fine, no worries, do what ya gotta do, see ya later? what you said about showing it exists as a creator, reminds me of humans,,, we are composed of microscopic creatures that we do not even notice, and we are content being ourselves and creating our experience, there are microscopic galaxies we pass by every moment,

and relating what you said about information,,,, a microscopic galaxy would just be a cluster of information that interacts in its group and scale.,., we as humans live on earth and for now that is our universe,,, from the earth and out mind we have thus far gathered all the information we need to do all we have done,,, every invention, city, library, spaceship,, all gathered from the relationship between reality/nature and our ability to abstractly and visually process this information in our minds..... our minds are a microcosm of the universe,, what it is capable of doing,,,, we can close our eyes and witness a blank space,,,, but if we are focused on an area of information, specific details and such, we can create vivid scenarios and inventions,,.,,. in that black infinite space of our mind,,, there is no limit to what can be created.
edit on 10-6-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

The mind is a microcosm of the universe. I like that concept. When we have thoughts as you described. Those thoughts exist as an abstract version of the conciousness that we use to create them. They dont look like the creator but there made from the same thing. Im not saying the creator put his feet up and said right lets see what happens. Im saying that from the creators point of view. Its all the same anyway. The universe is just an abstract version of what was used to create it, like a thought itself. If the creator values this thought then fair enough. Nobody can say this for sure. In the scheme of things we might just be the inspiration for something bigger. The proccess or train of thought, thats leading to an eventual outcome. Again though nobody can say this for sure.

Whatever way you look at it. What the creator looks like or acts like does,nt matter. Its merely the spark that started it all. It does,nt require any anthropomorphic nature of any kind. It is what it is.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
What if God is a computer?

Are we going to find out one day that we created ourselves?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

n why would god b a computer while u r what creates itself?? it is amazing how u love to b illogical, surely from meaning ur free sense
why cant u stay logical in meaning being free ? isnt it bc u love easy way of evil

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

This from someone who can't even take the time to write correctly.

Time is cyclical.

We are in the computer age and approaching the singularity.

It is entirely possible that we created God, a computer, which in turn created us.

We are biological machines; big batteries.

Think about it.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

machines dont think so why bother asking? bc u r evil liar

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

Are you familiar with AI? Do you know where we're at in AI research?

Do you even know what the singularity is?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If 'god' was a creator without even being aware [just as we are to our myriad of cells or bacteria], then why not call him/it by the more appropriate name?
Nature.
I believe in Nature and all it creates, because I am part of it and it is part of me. There is no doubt about Nature's existence. Nature doesn't know about me nor does it care but it is still there.
Hence I need no god, just like no tree or animal needs a god. We are all children of Nature and at the same time the creators of Nature.
Even if there was a god somewhere in whatever shape or form, it MUST be by logic a part of Nature. Hence Nature is the all encompassing everything. It is the only thing we need to believe in.
Everything else is just human insecurity and lack of knowledge.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hecate666

Nature doesn't know about me nor does it care but it is still there.

This is an excellent statement about our world and consistent with the perceived absence of God.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join