It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famous Catholic Masons?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The Vatican has a ban upon Catholics joining the Masons, yet I hear that there are in fact faithful, practicing Catholics who are also faithful, practicing Masons.

Do any of the Masonic members here know of any famous past or present Catholic Masons?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Zhenyghi

There was some confusion on this point caused by the wording coming from Vatican II. The question was resolved by a declaration in 1983 that Catholics may not join a Masonic organization. If they do, they are in grave sin and may not receive Communion.

There aren't currently any Masons who are "Good Catholics" under this declaration. They are still Catholic, but need to get things cleared up before they are full members again.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Zhenyghi

I don't know of any famous catholic Masons, per se, but there is a great essay written by a Royal Arch Mason Here

Pretty enlightening. It goes into great detail about the history of why Freemasonry and Catholisism has clashed with each other.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
They have their own called Knights of Columbus.

www.kofc.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Catholics who are also masons.... Wouldn't they pretty much be full on pagans at that point?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

Nope, I doubt it.

I know a several Masons who are catholic and have no conflict with their religion and Masonry. Actually the link I posted to pheonixmasonry is an essay written by a man who is Catholic and Freemason.

Belonging to both would in no way make a person Pagan.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

Well from what I understand of freemasonry the Christian aspect is dubious at best, and Catholicism is polytheistic...put them together, sounds like paganism to me. However I realize I could be completely off-base. So I will do some research. Cheers!

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I know of locals, but I don't personally know any famous Catholics.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I know of locals, but I don't personally know any famous Catholics.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

Freemasonry isn't a religion, Christian or otherwise therefore as an adjunct to one's spirituality it doesn't modify their faith (although it may lead one to be more tolerant of others).

Also, Catholics aren't polytheistic they are monotheistic Christians. You may not agree with their belief but it's not right to mischaracterize them as something they are not.
edit on 10-6-2012 by no1smootha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by no1smootha

Billy Graham was a Catholic (if you try to argue that he was an evangelist just go look up his ties with the pope and Vatican) a freemason and also wrote gushing letters to satanist Jeane Dixon.

edit on 10-6-2012 by protocolsoflove because: forgot picture

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Just wanna say that pic is a double wammy, got the grip and the claw.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by protocolsoflove

No, Billy Graham is an Evangelist and Jeanne Dixon is an astrologer (and a hack at that). I have never seen any evidence that Rev. Graham is a Freemason, I do know that Pres. Lyndon Johnson was initiated an EA mason but are you sure this is LBJ? It doesn't look like him to me.

Anyway, that is not a grip nor a sign and if it was the grip and sign of a MM why is he giving it to an EA?

No whammies for you!

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

"I am very comfortable with the Vatican. I have been to see the Pope several times. He and I agree on almost everything."

Is that not a sign either?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Being friendly with the Vatican doesn't make someone a Catholic, believing in the infallibility of the Pope and going to Mass and things like that do. He was demonstrating a tolerant attitude towards Catholicism, not reciting the Apostle's Creed.

Nope, that's not a sign either.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Yea right Catholics are forbidden to join the lodge....

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Haha you write off his long history with the vatican and more than one pope by calling it "friendly" and "tolerant".

Guess what buddy boy I got my glasses on and I'm not the only one...no offense but I would never believe someone's statement about something they were sworn never to reveal.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Good, you have your glasses on, maybe you can find a picture of Rev. Graham with his rosary for me or one where he is crossing himself or kissing the Pope's ring or taking the Eucharist. Good luck with that buddy!
edit on 10-6-2012 by no1smootha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
There aren't currently any Masons who are "Good Catholics" under this declaration. They are still Catholic, but need to get things cleared up before they are full members again.

We have close to ten members of my lodge who are also part of the Knights of Columbus which they joined previous to becoming a Mason. Their Monsignor is aware of their dual membership and they have not been excommunicated or prevented from attending Mass.

We typically hold a joint picnic each fall with the Knights and we end up getting more of their Church members than we do family members of our lodge.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Dear AugustusMasonicus,

Their Monsignor is aware of their dual membership and they have not been excommunicated or prevented from attending Mass.
I'm sorry, but on this I must insist. The Monsignor is in error. Some people violate Church teachings and persuade themselves that in their particular case it is OK and not to be argued about. Birth control, abortion, and sex outside marriage are the examples currently getting the most press.

The Monsignor may see himself and the members as warm and welcoming people dedicated to doing good, but by not following the Church's teaching they are hurting themselves. By joining the Masons, they are in grave sin, and are not eligible for Communion until the proper penances have been performed. Taking Communion in these circumstances is a sin for each member, it is also a sin for the Monsignor to knowingly distribute Communion to them.

I know it sounds harsh, but it is also clear. Play by the rules or don't play.

Th joint picnic sounds like fun. There is no harm in in that. There is nothing wrong in enjoying other's company. I'm glad they do it.

With respect,
Charles1952

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join