It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prometheus, the movie, sucked IMO!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I went in with great expectations of, at least, a thought provoking movie which would explain the backstory of the Aliens franchise, or delve into yet another theory of creationism. Boy was I wrong!!! What I watched was a cobbled together plot, with no character development, rife with plot holes, and quite frankly boring!

I do not believe in giving spoilers in my reviews because I would hate to "ruin" the film for those who have been anticipating, or are curious. I'll break down the movie in generic terms.

Script/Writing (F-) : The movie started off very promising, and caught my interest and curiosity. Then it all was laughable from there. Even the "climax" was dull and uninspired. They had such a nice setup at the beginning and really failed miserably at delivering throughout.

Then again, I did not like Lost either, and this movie shared the same writer as that confusing tale.

If you decide to watch this movie twice, the only thing you will notice is more plot holes that you didn't catch the first time instead of cleverly hidden nuggets.

Directing (F) : Ridley Scott should have read this script and knew it was going to bomb. He should not have let this be the prequel to such a great series as Aliens.

Acting/Cast (D) : Only a few actors did a fine job, arguably one, as most were forgettable. Nothing I really can say about this except there was not much chemistry with the lot, and their potential was bottled. I don't blame the actors because they didn't have much to work with.

Character Development (F) : None to be had. I didn't care anything about what happened to any of the characters in the movie. Moving on...

Visuals (B) : The effects were the only redeeming quality of the movie and were done pretty well to be honest. As usual, don't waste money on 3-D.

Music (D) : Really didn't evoke fear, inspiration, excitement or joy. It was kind of just there actually in some scenes it just intruded and seemed out of place.

Overall (D-) : I would have given this movie a F, but it was pleasing to the eye. It was boring to me and the pace drug on and on. Nothing was original. The "twists" were so stupid, and didn't even contribute anything at all to the plot. I would barely recommend this as a rental, wait for it on one of the premium channels. I wouldn't purchase it on Blu-Ray or DVD.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

So your saying I shouldn't waste money on this?
I saw the first trailer and it was good, I saw more and it looked like crap for morons who just like pretty graphics. Another let down in modern Cinema what a shocker.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I just got back from seeing it myself and would agree with the OP.

Fassbender's character(the robot), was the best thing about the movie.

The ending set's up the next one.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
How did I know this movie wasn't going to be any good? It seems like all the once great directors lose it after a while. I guess that's what Hollyweird does to people.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DoctorMobius

Yeah some movie trailers are better than the movie itself, but than again I don't go to the movies and pay for a movie that isn't worth the money.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoctorMobius

So your saying I shouldn't waste money on this?

That is 100% correct. Save your hard earned cash and miss this one. It's a rental at best.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedom12
Fassbender's character(the robot), was the best thing about the movie.

Agreed. They dropped the ball with his character too. They really screwed up a blank canvas full of possibility.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Looks like a Double post for some reason.
edit on 9-6-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Dang and I was talking about that movie too. grr.

The way you describe it sounds like Dark Matter.

edit on 9-6-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Dang and I was talking about that movie too. grr.

The way you describe it sounds like Dark Matter.

I think too many people go with specific expectations - - - then are disappointed when those expectations are not met.

Especially - with SciFi - - - Go for the experience without expectations.

Anyway - - - for SciFi reviews I go to Harry at "Ain't It Cool News". www.aintitcool.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I knew it would be a let down at best, too good to be true kind of thing.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

But its a prequel to Alien it has a certain defined path to follow with expectations we expect to be met. In other cases where it's a new franchise heck yeah go off the wall wild.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Yeah I went in with expectation of this being a decent film, but the plot holes and character development were way too ridiculous for this to have made it through to be directed.

Aliens aside it would have been even worse because the ending would have been even more confusing.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoctorMobius
reply to post by Annee

But its a prequel to Alien it has a certain defined path to follow with expectations we expect to be met. In other cases where it's a new franchise heck yeah go off the wall wild.

Well - - did you read Harry's review.

He seems to have a take on that. Just another point of view. I have no real opinion on this.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Yeah I read it, and I think he's really a big fan of Ridley Scott's and is reaching; in an attempt to save face for his beloved director.

I really want to go into detail about all the glaring holes in the film, but I can't for those who haven't seen it yet. There was a plot hole so big that it was unforgivable... I mean just plain flat out terrible...
edit on 9-6-2012 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by majesticgent
Yeah I read it, and I think he's really a big fan of Ridley Scott's and is reaching; in an attempt to save face for his beloved director.

I really want to go into detail about all the glaring holes in the film, but I can't for those who haven't seen it yet. There was a plot hole so big that it was unforgivable... I mean just plain flat out terrible...

Yes. He is a lover of movies - - especially SciFi and comics.

Not necessarily a critic. Which is why I like reading his reviews.

But - - - the comments can be brutal.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

In response to your shattered expectations I think that mybe ths could be one epic fail on RIDLEY SCOTT'S reputation as a visionary filmmaker. It all cracked under the hype so I will buy the DVD and watch the director's commentary of R.SCOTT WEEPING.
I've read the leaked script and was dismayed to find NO PREDATORS WHATSOEVER. Do not put it past the movie moguls to greenlight. THEIR ORIGIN STORY. And kill it.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Prometheus was cool. The story was deep i think the naysayers arent looking hard enough. SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

the alien in the beginning sacrifices himself to seed the earth, yet they discover in the alien ship the engineers planned on wiping us out and starting over, this is essentially huge, because along with all of there bio based tech and the musical commands they used for the ship they prove to be a race with great respect for nature in all its forms, yet they want to destroy us, why?

Why did the awakened engineer not even for a second consider speaking with wayland and the group? almost like a starstruck fear in his eyes, but i digress. The universe he left open is huge and full of possibilities, could there be engineers among their own race sympathetic to humans or did we do something down the lane to trigger their bad side? the questions like these along with the how he managed to try and describe a whole race with a couple individuals and one ship is awesome to me. Apart from the feel that will only be given to alien and now Prometheus of that dark and lonely but somewhat slightly hopeful feeling about our future, i have to say he did exactly what he wanted to do, POTENTIALLY BRAND ANOTHER 4 MOVIE FRANCHISE, and the visuals were awesome too, it wasn't perfect but i really respect his work.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Completely agree.... I've seen it twice now as I was so disappointed the first time, I read lots of sycophantic reviews and thought I must have been wrong - on seeing it a second time its still disappointing.

Disjointed story, no character development, laughable dialogue. The only character that had any decent depth was Fassbender's character (David). Noomi rapace's delivery of some of her lines was questionable, Charlize Theron is an awesome actress and did what she could with her limited lines as did idris elba.

Ridley has lost the plot!

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
OK I'm about to list some major plot holes / lapse of logic in the script... SPOILER ALERT

1. The Prometheus is listed as having 17 crew members. I counted 14 including Wayland and his crew, so then I went to IMDB to check out the full cast. www.imdb.com... . I see 17+ possible crew members here. To me this makes the entire movie totally ridiculous and absurd. Can't even get the # of crew members correct??!?!?

2. Why is David, the android, working out in the beginning?

3. When the crew wakes up from their sleep, why is some of the crew members' hair bone dry but body wet? I guess they wore a shower cap in the sleep chamber.

4. Why risk the entire mission and your ride home by sending the entire ship to land on the moon (yes it was a moon not a planet. At the end of the movie when the other Engineer ship takes off, you can see the blue Saturn like planet that the moon orbited, but not throughout the rest of the movie another plot hole.) Why not send a lander instead and have the Prometheus orbit the moon in case the SHTF which it did!

5. Why not scan the entire moon's surface before landing the Prometheus and finding the safest spot to land? Why listen to some dolt who has a hunch and says land there because God doesn't build in straight lines.

6. You land next to this strange temple like thing and you don't have any rovers to go out ahead of you and check the thing out before just walking about an alien planet all willy nilly? C'mon!!!

7. You don't have a meteorologist, run a weather scan, or even know that this moon has powerful sand storms before listening to the dolt again saying, "let's go check it out" with only 6 hours of sunlight left?

8. You are about to enter in a possibly hostile environment and you insist that no weapons are brought because it is a "scientific" mission?!?!.

9. Weyland picks the dumbest scientists on the face of the planet for this mission? Why? To save costs? Is the educational system on Earth that bad in the future?

10. You go charging into said temple and then later on bring out the bots that can map the entire structure. You don't say hey let's let the bots map this place out check for hostiles then go back when we deem it safe?

11. No one ever questions David or his motives, and how he can open the door and turn on holographic recordings of the past.

12. All of the things to take back to sample, you want to take back a 2000 year old alien head in a Ziplock freezer bag. Never mind the black ooze like substance on the vials and liquid on the floor which. Shaw mentioned something about a "quarantine protocol" that is never followed up during the movie.

13. Hey this is breathable air says the dolt Holloway let's just take off our mask even though we are on an alien planet and don't know what type of nasty pathogens may be lurking about. Let's ignore Shaw's weak quarantine protocol.

14. I'm a biologist and a run away when I see a 2000 year corpse and so does the "geologist" who manages to somehow get lost. Never once to either of these two imbeciles radio back to the ship, which the map is being fed to by the bots the "geologist" created sent out. They don't radio the other crew that they're lost. The Prometheus doesn't seem to care about their whereabouts (Captain was probably having is way with the other lady medical type person on the ship and left the bridge unattended again).

15. Sandstorm builds, (Captain just finished up with doc heads back to the bridge), and warns the crew to get out of there. They make it out and don't even notice that all of the vehicles are still there 2 bikes and the truck. It never dawns on anyone that the other two morons are still running around in circles in the temple??? I was wondering did the other 2 walk back to the ship????

16. I'm said biologist who ran around like a chicken from a 2000 year corpse now I have brass balls enough to try to charm and pet a hostile alien looking cobra worm that's clearly warning me to back off... SMH

17. The dolt Holloway just made the discovery of a lifetime and goes back to the ship and gets drunk, doesn't do any research or anything... Just sits around in a drunken stupor tossing billiard balls and insulting an android who later kills him... SMH

18. Shaw and the other doc lady decide to play Frankenstein and shock the 2000 year old alien head back to life, and it explodes??? I was literally laughing at this idiotic scene. I mean these are the best Wayland could get with his trillion dollars?

19. Vickers, who says she's in charge and talks all the big Willy talk, but was disobeyed the entire movie. Won't let the dolt Holloway back on the ship because he's clearly infected, and Holloway tells Vickers to roast him. What terrible way to go. He could have just taken off his mask all willy nilly like he did before and died in two minutes from breathing in too much nitrogen, but at least he would have felt high.
edit on 10-6-2012 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join