It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO experts warn that intelligent cyber weapons may get out of control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Source from:

www.acus.org...
(Jorge Benitez | June 09, 2012)

"Rapid developments in cyber (technology) might lead to intelligent cyber weapons that are hard to control and it's practically impossible to use formal methods of verifying the safety of intelligent cyber weapons by their users," Enn Tyugu, IT expert at Tallinn's NATO Cyber Defense Center said at its fourth annual conference on Thursday. . . .

Wow, Terminator anyone? Apparently even NATO is beginning to become nervous over the newest technology. I always thought that tech could go this far and have remained a little nervous about it myself when "The Terminator" came out.

How far are the militaries of the world willing to take it and at what cost?

"The number of cyber conflicts keeps rising and it is important to understand who the actors in these events are, how to classify these events and participants, and how to interpret all that," Tamm said, noting Western leaders have been slow to become aware of even existing cyber threats.

edit on 9-6-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
There is a similar concern about AI. It is believed by some that AI should be quarantined for the protection of the human race.

I'm not kidding.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It's all about money and power - mostly money. People will make something because they want the profits, not considering the ramifications.

In addition, NATO's warning maybe a cover for the current administration, well maybe all those that came before too, they're all complicit AFAIK, when the Internets suddenly no longer work for us peons. (Seems Obama and NATO are one and the same these days) They'll just cut off our information to further control what ever it is they may have planned or don't want us to know and then blame it on the lost control of the worm they used to hit Iran with.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Just to prove your point a little this is another very recent article on the same site.

US to transfer operational control of some Aegis ships to NATO for missile defense

www.acus.org...

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
They have a point. If we instil cyber weapons with even a small fraction of the intelligence that we have, they could start to decide what they view as right or wrong. Once sentience is born, well, no other force other than the collective of themselves will choose what to do.

Could ptentially end up humans vs machines. However, once true VR technology can be manipulated. I think we will be more accepting of our robot over lordes. I for welcome our new robot over lordes.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I don't think things will get out of hand in a "terminator" fashion as long as people still have to pull the trigger...well, push the button.

I'm more worried about a government going to war with another and being able to make large areas into killzones by flooding the air with thousands of drones.
Scary stuff

Edit: as for cyber weapons, it's kind of like biological weapons. Once they get out of control then it becomes a big problem.
edit on 6/9/2012 by MeesterB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Talk about blowing things out of proportion. Yes the threat is real and disturbing, however, there is a difference between CYBER and CYBORG.

Cyber = Of the culture of computers, information technology, and virtual reality: "the cyber age".

Cyborg = A fictional or hypothetical person whose physical abilities become superhuman by mechanical elements built into the body.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TopherSnewo

I agree with you on the difference but as it states...

might lead to intelligent cyber weapons that are hard to control
As rtyfx stated above there is already the concern in AI. If the two should ever meet there may be issues beyond our(human) control. I am glad they are starting to think about this issue early, but then again, we may not know if the tech is already in the works or even being tested(area 51 hint hint)
edit on 9-6-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well since were the designers & engineers we'll know all the weaknesses should we need to defend ourselves from a self aware machine gone bad, all we have to do is beat our own design & technology, which is far less of a worry than having to beat an advanced ET race, in this case we are the super advanced ET race, and we'll kick its arse back to the scrap yard

I think it is highly likely should a machine/robot with AI be created that was of concern/threat there will no doubt be some form of a kill switch, no matter how smart it maybe, is has just milliseconds to act every time to create a counter to the kill switch,

If the kill switch fails, EM weapons, Advancements in EM weaponry will likely be hand grenade sized in the future, imagine how horrified us humans would be to have such weaponry against us? it would be a really unfair war, i blame Terminator movies for the fear of self aware robots becoming a threat, i think NATO is worried about the clean up of constant problems with viruses causing havoc in cyber world, not fighting a war with machines that threaten us directly, that would be a war won easily should it ever occur

edit on 9-6-2012 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The new CoD (Call of Duty) puts this in perspective in one of the new trailers, with the machines they (the US) has built turning against us. Not because they went sentient or haywire, but simply because it's all remote control, all it takes is someone "hijacking the keys" aka hacking the system and we'll be in a huge mess.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
even if it's an accident, accidentally attacking a large sovereign nation could be catastrophic

what a world, what a world

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason Paul

WOW that is a powerful video considering the article. It is amazing how the games follow real life even if people are blind to it.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Considering the morons we have running the show now, it might not be all bad if there was some intelligence applied to the act of war.

new topics

top topics

join