It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil boom brings wealth and waste to North Dakota

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
When we all first heard about N. Dakota creating jobs with the oil business...

lots of people jumped on the bandwagon..

why not, jobs are scarce these days..

link

Oil drilling has sparked a frenzied prosperity in Jeff Keller's formerly quiet corner of western North Dakota in recent years, bringing an infusion of jobs and reviving moribund local businesses. But Keller, a natural resource manager for the Army Corps of Engineers, has seen a more ominous effect of the boom, too: Oil companies are spilling and dumping drilling waste onto the region's land and into its waterways with increasing regularity. Hydraulic fracturing — the controversial process behind the spread of natural gas drilling — is enabling oil companies to reach previously inaccessible reserves in North Dakota, triggering a turnaround not only in the state's fortunes, but also in domestic energy production. North Dakota now ranks second behind only Texas in oil output nationwide. The downside is waste — lots of it. Companies produce millions of gallons of salty, chemical-infused wastewater, known as brine, as part of drilling and fracking each well. Drillers are supposed to inject this material thousands of feet underground into disposal wells, but some of it isn't making it that far

now they are killing wildlife and fish in N.Dakota just like they do everywhere else this happens...

now the waste is getting out of hand real bad...

The downside is waste — lots of it. Companies produce millions of gallons of salty, chemical-infused wastewater, known as brine, as part of drilling and fracking each well. Drillers are supposed to inject this material thousands of feet underground into disposal wells, but some of it isn't making it that far. According to data obtained by ProPublica, oil companies in North Dakota reported more than 1,000 accidental releases of oil, drilling wastewater or other fluids in 2011, about as many as in the previous two years combined. Many more illicit releases went unreported, state regulators acknowledge, when companies dumped truckloads of toxic fluid along the road or drained waste pits illegally.

after a little research, i found out that there is little to no housing either..

edit on 9-6-2012 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I have friends that work up there, and most hotel rooms doubled if not tripled in price. Same with everything else. Almost all the workers are from out of state, so it is good for NoDak, but the workers, although getting paid well, they are not taking home what it seems like they should be. Then to top it of the residents of the area, are hardly making anymore than what they were before the "oil boom" so now that the price on necessities has gone up, they are getting kind of a bad deal.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
BTW thank you for your post!
I was turned down from many jobs there, glad that happened.

I know many of friends getting hurt and workers comp are doing nothing.
if your hurt you get sent home, AKA (fired). one friend is in Kaparuk at his
new job because of what happened. Bunch of money whores down there.

They say: who cares if it destroys ND, wahhh, lets make money and go to
the next place. SICK

I predict the newest gulf spill distr very soon in ND, Sick

Stars & Flags, this needs attention, companies are in such a hurry to produce
oil and make money that the welfare of the surrounding communities
and locals; as well as, the out of state workers may be doomed with some
sort of chaos.
edit on 9-6-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

And last, safety first or every job unsafe eventually fails,

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Residents of ND need to seriously consider the cautionary tale of Treece, KS and other similar towns decimated by the boom/bust of resource-based, predatory capitalism.

Corporations will come in, throw a bunch of money around, promise jobs and deliver - but only just as long as the resource is there, still a valuable commodity or that the resource extraction is still profitable.

Once the party is over, they file for bankruptcy or pull up stakes leaving the town pillaged and polluted with U.S. tax payers footing the bill for the clean up.

Which doesn't even get fully cleaned up.
Usually, as in Treece, the residents get relocated and the environment impact is never addressed.

Good luck North Dakota. And don't forget the old addage - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Just ask the Gulf Coast residents...
edit on 6/9/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

yep.. Thanks KJ for your input..

it has happened more than once in many places here and abroad..

it saddens me to see greed over rule safety,health issues,people lives...

but it always does...

edit on 9-6-2012 by baddmove because: spelling

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Screw the corrupt governments, banks, and corporations that facilitate this self-serving behavior, as-well-as the burgeoning mass of humans who are too dumb, apathetic, or cowardly to rise up against these pigs.

We've taken this gift of life on Earth for granted, we don't deserve it any longer.

Save the plants and animals, wipe the human race off the face of the earth. Mother nature bring on a polar-shift, now!

F.T.G.

edit on 9-6-2012 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

watch the video in the link..

jobs everywhere..

places to live, nope..

i think they even forget to mention the damage being caused by all this drilling..

but you get to meet a billionaire..several times over. (Harry says it in his interview)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

my friend is a self made millionaire by :

Well what happen was he went to ND and bought a 4 bedroom house. He rented the rooms out at a high price, moved in many, quit working, moved in more. His house payment a month is less than $3000, makes almost $20,000 a month in rent from workers. moved back to Alaska, doesn't work and we hang out and have fun every weekend. thx ND workers. people paying $2000 a month just for his floor with a shared kitchen and bathroom.

$$$$$$$ thats what's its all about... no its not, but he'll never have to work a day the rest of his life. better than working on a derrick all day!!!!

Sadly my credit sucks or I would do the same,

But I don't get your point, what your saying is nothing new to me????

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
i worked construction for many years and have lived in many areas where there were more workers then beds in the local areas. Many of us brought our own homes with us in the form of RVs and large motor-homes.

That is the life of workers in remote areas.when we were not working we drove our motor home to lakes and went fishing till the next job.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

This thread is not about housing..

even though i brought it up..

it is about N.Dakota being the forefront to oil jobs..

and all the damage now being done to N.Dakota..

please read the link i posted to see what i am talking about..

thank you!

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

I don't get it..

why aren't people reading the link i posted?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

HAHAHA, I'm a idiot, lol

Gotcha now.

top topics

join