It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just saw Prometheus, Indoctrination?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

I don't know but I suspect fighting 3 bears after they found you in their den might get a little adrenaline pumping, but in the human condition there is a CLEAR distinction between fear , control and action . theoretical modelling of the future is what allows some of us to separate ourselves from the base animal kingdom, learn or not from the past human experience and odd ways it's orally transmitted or not, but this Base OF meme transfere migtht be somthin you want to consider .

or you can read Chomsky's concept of the nature of language ( and how it effects society)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

That movie sucked balls. It was as disappointing as Tron x Ten.
Dreadful.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Not necessarily the government telling us secrets, but it happens quite often that the writers of a science fiction write social commentary into their shows. That's why Star Trek 6 is about the Cold War.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

My question is why are you even here, when 99.8% of your posts are attempts to convince people that there is no such thing as a pink elephant in the room...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Not necessarily the government telling us secrets, but it happens quite often that the writers of a science fiction write social commentary into their shows. That's why Star Trek 6 is about the Cold War.

Excellent point. Gene Roddenberry was a master at this. Additionally, along the same vein, Ronald Moore did the same thing with BSG, contrasting it to our military presence in the Middle East.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

So, for the government to be pushing a plot line of a science fiction show, would mean that Hollywood got in bed with them. The only way that happens is when their agenda is one and the same. Frankly, people who put on makeup and play pretend aren't always grounded in reality enough to give me messages of any sort.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
reply to post by Cosmic911

So, for the government to be pushing a plot line of a science fiction show, would mean that Hollywood got in bed with them. The only way that happens is when their agenda is one and the same. Frankly, people who put on makeup and play pretend aren't always grounded in reality enough to give me messages of any sort.

Who hasn't the U.S. government been in bed with?

And in regards to Gene Roddenberry and Ronald Moore, we don't necessarily have a shared agenda between these writers and the govt, rather, what we do see is social commentary of ethical and moral issues of the day.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas
reply to post by Phage

My question is why are you even here, when 99.8% of your posts are attempts to convince people that there is no such thing as a pink elephant in the room...

I think Phage will field this question intelligently and smoothly as he always does, however, I thought I'd toss in my humble opinion because I think it is an important and significant question. You have asked an extremely insightful question.

I try to debunk all of my beliefs. When I'm left with nothing but the quantitative and objective, then I have my belief. For me, I do this because I'm very right-brained, meaning my emotions are on my sleeve and I'm very passionate about what I'm interested in. It would be very easy for me to believe in everything, especially when I don't know a lot about the subject matter. I take what I believe, and then I try to debunk it rigorously. When I'm finished, if it passed the tests I'll subscribe to it, if not, then I have doubt. This process also allows me to change opinions as evidence or facts change. It's a dynamic continuum. It's important to validate and acknowledge the opinions of others who do not share what we believe in order to validate and acknowledge our own beliefs. (oh, no. now I've gone cross-eyed!)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
cant get link

sorry
edit on 10-6-2012 by lacrimaererum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I was so dissapointed with that film that I have to wonder whether there was another motive for making it. I'm not sure about your idea that they want us to believe in god though, I always thought they were trying to destroy religion.

I will try to keep this as spoiler free as I can.

On the subject of liking the movie, I for one loved it but mainly because 1. I knew it was about the Aliens Series and 2. It addressed who it was in the older Alien movies that manned the huge seat that looked like a cannon and revealed that it wasn't the Aliens themselves that made the structures. My mother on the other hand did not know going in that this was a prequel to the whole series and she felt it was a cheap knock off of the original until the end when it was obvious it was a prequel. She and many others assumed that the movie was just about human origins and didn't have anything to do with the Alien Series. I think they had this planned before the first Alien movie in 1979 was even produced, for many reasons, one being the ability to portray the beings that made us in ways that would be believable. On the subject of God. They are trying to destroy our faith and the Bible. One example is a man who use to be in a satanic cult said that their main goal and I'm quoting now "their goal was to destroy the Bible without burning it". If you have watched the movie, there is a particular scene between a crew member, and the robot, where the robot asks the crew member, why she still has faith even after everything she has learned. To me that scene was a way of mocking people who have faith. You see with movies there is always a certain amount of truth in them. These people have a code they go by and part of that code is ensuring that we have had prior warning or notification in advance to what they have planed. They always in some way let the public know what they are doing and technically if no one protests the message given, that is, in their view, a consent of free will, no matter how devious or far fetched the message was. An example of what I am alluding to would be, the pilot of The Lone Gunmen (A story arch of the X-files) that aired March 4th 2001 with a plot involving an airplane being flown into the trade towers and an old man explaining to one of the main characters that it was a small faction of the government that wanted this to happen.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I don't know much about an agenda to infiltrate hollywood with messages that would reside and grow in our consciousness, but the idea could be plausible. Before the movie, in the pre-show, every trailer leading up to the film mentioned the words 'end of the world', so many trailers mentioning this casually or under some metaphorical disguise, that I felt very odd. We're almost forced to watch these movies, and listen to this music today unless we look elsewhere for less mainstream entertainment, but regardless, we see the images of these movies, the trailers, and such regardless.

Almost every movie lately has to do with the end of the world or aliens, but then again this has been a trend in hollywood and television for years. It just seems more-so as of lately.

These are all subtle messages that could mean nothing at all, but it makes one wonder.

Going into Prometheus I had predicted the premise fairly well, and I found there weren't that many plot holes, solely in the context of it being a quasi-prequel to Alien. In 3-D the film was very well directed and the scenes were absolutely stunning. It left an impression on me that technology has soared to amazing heights just in the past couple of years alone.

RS said that the story was somewhat based on the Akkadian texts. The scene in the beginning of the movie with the seeding can be related to Geshtu as an example. While the movie didn't alter my beliefs so much as helped me look at things in a different light (or darkness), I felt that it did a good job of stirring the question inside of me of "What if humans were created by... humans?" What if Gods did indeed create these "aliens", and what if they created us? Wait... who created them? And so on.

There's no denying that several archaeological digs and separate mythologies on this planet mirror one another, and though that is just the tip of the iceberg since we know so very little, that enough allows me to ask the bigger questions like the ones presented in this film. I don't expect an answer, but I keep looking at our technological feats over the past 100 years in terms of what our future will be like in just a short period of time given that we don't destroy ourselves or we aren't sent back into into the dark ages due to nature's course or our curiosity, whatever the case we know very little, and we haven't been around enough to merit the arrogance of saying we do.

The more we press into the future, the more this stuff will wrack our brains, as it could have possibly been intended to. In any case, I have to look back on the things David-8 said in terms of him being an android. Why did they make us, if they did? Perhaps because they just could, so why wouldn't we do the same? As we have been with various forms of AI.
edit on 10/6/12 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
My friend Adam gave me an interesting idea about the meaning of the movie name. Prometheus is a Titan who did what he wasn't supposed to: give man fire. Perhaps in the beginning of the movie, we see a renegade from his race who is giving power to the earth that was not appropriate. This is why the aliens intend to destroy the life that exists on the earth, it was supposed to have been different until tainted with renegade intentions.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenite

That is a theory I had not considered! I like it too! That's a pretty sexy explanation. One of the best I have heard so far.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I know I enjoyed Prometheus because I wanted to watch it again immediately. That's my litmus test when it comes to films.

I also enjoyed the irreverent idea that humans are just lab rats, and completely irrelevant to the species that created them. I personally think people have too high an opinion of our species, and it's nice to see I'm not the only one.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

i thought the line

david : have you ever wanted to kill your father figure ?

or how it went just before they visited the sleeping engiener in the end was the give away as to who their "creator" is ,

much of the movie is about origin , the human , Davids , engieneers and the xenomorphs with the latter being the one not really even touched upon in the movie

edit on 10-6-2012 by zerbot565 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Indoctrination...desensitization...perhaps.
Conspiracy wise;
Guess one could say the same as with Bladerunner, that it "promotes the transhumanists agenda".
Ridley Scott's partly inspired Prometheus by"Chariots of the Gods"-Erich von Däniken. With that part I'd be interested in of the movie.
Erich von Däniken one of two, the other being Zecharia Sitchin, that is "said" to be insiders(or beings themselves) because "they know to much".

Thanks for the spoiler, have yet to see it, will probably wait because of the MPAA.

edit on 10-6-2012 by dreamingawake because: mad face

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRemorse762

All right, so my first analysis of this movie, that it was teaching us that it was time to stand up to our parents and forge a life for ourselves, that our parents wanted to hold us back from our full potential, that we should go on a quest for power and destroy their home-world in the sequel in order to finally gain independence turned out to be the exact opposite of what I should have taken from the movie...

It kind of reminds me of where we are in science right now, which thinks that it can survive without religion / spirituality... how science is promoting an agenda of destruction of those who are weak and justifying oneself through power, how acting selflessly is unnatural... science hasn't figured out that that kind of thinking always ends up destroying society in the end.

And how would science know that? Science has no experience dealing with what has traditionally been the territory of spirituality and religion - keeping a society healthy. It can gain that experience, sure, but it will be a mess until then.

I think that both Prometheus and its sequel are going to be groundbreaking philosophical works. It is very interesting how much was left unsaid in the first movie, and if there is a second one, the answers it gives are going to also be the answers to what we are searching for as a society at this time.

edit on 10-6-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
ATS is full of above average intelligent people. ATS is also a data mine of great sci-fi movie script ideas, between the personal stories and the out there conspiracies. If Ridley Scott had half a brain he would troll our site for feedback and story ideas. So I'm going to put it out there.

Hey Ridley!!!!!! Log on and explain yourself!!! Answer our damn questions!!!!!!!! We want to know!!!!!!!!

Weird, I felt like I should have been asking those questions to someone else besides Scott. Maybe those are questions better suited for our creator/s.

For all those "Prometheus sucks" people out there, I am currently watching Book of Eli on TV and that movie SUCKS! I know you poo-pooers out there most likely loved that movie as well, and thats what seperates the men from the boys. That and pubic hair.

BTW, another thought for everyone, I thought it was obvious that this was movie was a prequel of sorts for the Alien franchise. I thought it was very obvious.
edit on 10-6-2012 by NoRemorse762 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

Now that you mentioned it, I think the name "David" was chosen on purpose and it will be played out in the next movie. It was a prequel, I think.
edit on 10-6-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRemorse762

My Holy Hell why can't ppl just realize that ALL they are seeing is a movie ... a story. If minds are so simple that they can not separate themselves then there is no hope anyway. Indoctrination - *major eye roll*

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join