It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Blind Cane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Just thought there might be some people here who would appreciate this new cane.

www.youtube.com...[/yvid]

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Nice!
I can totally "see" this product going worldwide.

LoL @ 0:21 though...

just for the irony, not because of his condition.

edit on 9-6-2012 by DeReK DaRkLy because: ...

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

It looks to be possibly an exciting new advancement, and as a prototype I think it is on its way. However due to the fact that the very first person in the video runs into a chair while using it, I think it may need some more work.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
SF, thanks for the post. It would be very beneficial for us who lack the vision to navigate, but I myself, haven't manned up enough to use the cane I have. It still just sits in my backpack.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by onecraftydude

Maybe you would like to write more of a description of what you are showing so people who are actually blind might have a chance of reading (using a text to speech reader) about it...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I had not thought about visually impaired frequenting these pages, but what do I know? Thanks for the advice.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I invented a cane that uses infrared and ultrasonic sensors to see objects up to 15 feet away. There are blind people in the video using the cane for the first time. Most are able to avoid all obstacles without more than a minute of practice feeling the vibrations in the handle.

The cane works by sending out sound and light waves and bouncing them off targets in front of the cane. As you approach an object the long range sensor (Ultrasonic) sends a slight vibration to the forefinger that increases as you approach an object or wall etc. The intensity of the buzzing increases until you get within reach of an object (3ft) and another buzzer in your middle finger kicks in much stronger than the first long range buzzer . This gives the user depth perception.

The user can stand in the middle of a room without knowing the layout, stand up and energize this cane and find the exit without taking a step or touching anything in the room. With a little practice the user will be able to identify objects easily without ever touching them. Some objects are hard to differentiate, but it will be easy to tell a chair from a table or wall and a hallway from a closet. Depth perception allows a 15 foot view of the user in any direction simply by pointing the sensor in that direction.

There is more information in this video and at www.bleymobility.com

top topics

join