It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Flashes of Light in the Sky?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
So last night at around 12:30 am, i was out doing a bit of astrophotography, which by the way i am fairly new to and and enjoying every moment of. I've always loved just lying under the stars staring into space and finally being able to capture a small portion of our place in this universe on camera is somethig i've dreamed of for a long time.

Anyway, i was facing West when i caught a very bright flash in the corner of my eye to the left. I had seen something similar last year but never gave it much thought as i have seen a few mysterious light shows in the night sky.

So i waited for my camera to finish its current exposure and turned the tripod and pointed towards the South. As i was doing this it happened again. It lasted 2 or 3 seconds and the only thing i can think to compare it too is like a giant camera flash up in space. I cannot stress enough how BRIGHT it was. It just radiated white light.

So i quicky point the camera in that direction, and set it for two 30 second exposures. Luckily enough, i did capture another of these flashes on one of the exposures. There were no more after that.

So my question is. What are these flashes? I've looked around on the internet and found people saying its lightning but there were no clouds last night. Iridium flares are another explanation i've read about but after looking at a simulated animation of one, it does in no way match what i seen.

Anybody care to enlighten me as to what these flashes are? Have you seen them?

Also, if anybody wants me to post the photo they will have to explain to my how because i've tried but at 4.51 MB i think its too big to upload. The photo does not really help anyway.

P.S if some one could explain how to upload large sized photos anyway, or just let me know if its possible that would help alot for the future. Cheers

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Lightning, Meteor, or Swamp gas.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by WP4YT

I've know what all of these look like so i'm gona go ahead and say none of the above.
edit on 9-6-2012 by iksose7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I've seen these lately in the night clouds over London, when I go outside to smoke.
I figured they were nightly lightning storms.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by iksose7

I would very much like to see this image.

Open a free account with PhotoBucket or one of the other online image sharing sites and give us the link to your posted image.

Best regards,
Z

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by iksose7

You are catching the flashes of light from the solar arrays of Iridium Satellites. If you go online with the key words, you can calculate where to look and at what time to see it again and again.

LINK

edit on 9-6-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by iksose7

You have probably witnessed an iridium flare. Iridium satellites have highly polished reflective surfaces. They are quite a sight when they catch the sun.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by iksose7

Did it look like this?

Some flares can reach -9 magnitude but these are rare.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 9/6/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Last night we had lots of thunder and lightning (the night before also). We've had to keep our computer off after 18h. We're in Ardèche, near the Rhone. I don't know where you are, but just about everywhere in South France, the weather has been stormy for days!
You don't think that is what it was?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by iksose7

You do not need clouds to get lightning. It was probably heat lightning. We get heat lightning all the time in arkansas in mid summer when it feels like we're simmering in hell.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Were the flashes similar to a strobe light, were there any booming sounds associated with them, or were was there any power issues in the neighborhood? The reason I ask this is because I had an experience a few weeks back that I can't explain.

I'm not pimping my thread but you can read it and see if it was familiar.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

No it didnt look like that but i do see what is show in that video every now and then so thanks for posting it. Now i know i am looking at Iridium sats

reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Just been looking at loads of heat lightning vids and it doesnt resemble what i seen. This was more of a small spec of light radiating out. Thanks though.

reply to post by EnochWasRight

I think you are right mate. I soon as i clicked the link, that photo at the top kind of looks like the one i managed to get except no where near as bright. Thanks for clearing that up

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

No nothing like that mate. I read your thread a couple of weeks ago and it still pops into my head every now and then. Even when i saw those flashes last night. Sounds crazy and impossible but like your thread suggests, its almost like theres a secret war happening.

Makes me glad it was just an Iridium Satallite that i saw lol

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight
You are catching the flashes of light from the solar arrays of Iridium Satellites. If you go online with the key words, you can calculate where to look and at what time to see it again and again.

Iridium satellites don't flash usually - they tend to flare slowly as they rotate or the sun angle changes as they pass overhead.

Short duration flashes (a couple of seconds or less) tend to be caused by tumbling satellites or space junk. Certainly the more random flashes are caused by randomly tumbling junk.

Try a search on the Satellite Observing List - there's plenty of discussion on the subject.

iksose7 - you didn't mention what camera/lens (or scope?) you were using, but if you have a relatively fast (F2 or faster) wide-normal lens, you should be able to catch the object in between the flashes, if you use ISO 800 or 1600.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Well i have seen something similar quite a few times but, it just flashes 2 to 5 times and it never moves it just sits in the same spot and flashes quick like a camera flash. Sometimes the flashes are really bright and other times its sort of dim.

Is this anything like what you saw maybe?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by iksose7

I too saw this last night around 9pm.Thing is friend I am on the East Coast of Australia.It flashes as fast as lightening,however it is not a fork or a ball.Just a huge patch or smudge that filled around fifty per cent of my field of vision.That is a huge surface area.Again I had seen this around two years ago on a perfectly clear night.The first one I saw made me litteraly duck my head.Same reaction as walking into a dark room,flicking on a switch and the bulb blowing.As I looked at the area where I had just seen this,it happened again in exactly the same spot.It looked like it had the force of a nuclear weapon.It looked like a war in space litteraly.It was no lightening and was not within the atmosphere.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I came across this thread searching for an explanation in attempts to see if anyone else has seen this as well. Low and behold I found a few similar stories.

Last night I went out side for a smoke enjoying the weather here on the East coast of the States. The sky was clear, stars were out and it was easy for my eyes to adjust to faint light. In my right peripheral vision I see two camera like flashes. Not sky lighting up, maybe a plane, but no sign of anything when I looked.

Tonight I went out to see if any Northern lights could be seen. Earlier in the night, I went out there and there were some clouds. About an hour later they cleared, with no trace of clouds at all. After a few mins in roughly the same spot as last night around 12:10 am EST. I picked up the flash again. It did it again. Thinking it was a plane I focused my eyes in the general area and with in seconds it Flashed directly in front of my vision. It appeared hazy around the light, as if there were clouds. But from what I could tell there was not a cloud in sight. Totally clear. I stared in that area for about 5 mins. No planes moved, No satellites, falling stars...or anything. I said to myself...Well that is strange. Don't know what it was, but that's two nights in a row and no sign of anything moving what so ever. We live out in country with very little light pollution. I read another article from 2009 on David Icke site, 3 camera like flashes just like what I had seen. It didn't light up sky, just appeared that a star turned on and off

edit on 14-4-2013 by WonderLustKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I saw something last night too, just a single flash in the distance to the north. Almost same time i'd say.

I was out briefly to see if there would be any lightning even though it was forecast for tonight, which didn't happen, so I suspect that could be it, although there was no thunder which almost always accompanies it here.

just a single white flash, I ran inside to get my camera but nothing happened after that. of course right? lol

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
You can check at www.heavens-above.com... to see whether it was a satellite. I'd say it was iridium flare, but you say it happened 3 times in the same location, which doesn't normally happen with iridium flares. Perhaps it were 3 satellites flying in a formation, or 3 geostationary satellites catching the glare of the Sun.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I have been seeing them for about a year ( I the stars a few hours almost every night).
I have also had witnesses to my accounts!

Not gonna be liked much around here but i believe it to be a inter-dimensional phenomenon. Of coarse im not gonna have scitentific facts to back this up.

But i do have this!

"in the near future humans are going to experience a phenomenon currently unknown to them, a dimensional merging. It will be experienced by loud booming noises, flashes of light, and high pitch noises all around the world."

-Earth files.com

A computer was over taken in a south African intelligence agency and was told the above, i believe it was over 20 years ago (going from memory here)

And If your familiar with ancient prophecy from any where you would be well aware this is documented.
edit on 14-4-2013 by hoonsince89 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join