It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC News - Wales flooding: Major rescue under way after flooding

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
An (English) friend from Machynlleth has just been round to Talybont - roads every difficult with much flooding and debris on them.

Well done to the volunteers (RNLI etc) who helped rescue so many of the stranded English holidaymakers
Wonder if Prince William was one of the helicopter pilots who also assisted?

I was just north of the area myself, on holiday last week - just thankful it didn't happen then! After experiencing the July 2007 floods in Evesham I can appreciate a little of what the folk over there must be going through - though fortunately, being upland streams, the water level is already falling.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
you would of thought with all the rain we get here that we'd have sorted the problems of a few inches of rain as its not unusual to find it raining here in the british isles but since we keep messing with with the rivers/drainage its probably not happening

Flash flooding of this nature has always happened and always will - there's really little can be done about it in upland areas - where foir the most part the natura drainage systems have not been too affected by human development. It's not as widespread as the Cumbrian floods of 2009, but certainly on a par with Boscastle and perhaps more especially Lynmouth.

We know that at least 120mm fell in a 24 hour period in the upper Wye valley (which is not the area worst affected) and around the hinterland of Aberystwyth, which radar shows had the hevaiest rainfall, it could well have been close on 200mm.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Citybig

Originally posted by welshbeliever
im welsh not english !
theres more than one country in england , check out a map ;-)
edit on 9-6-2012 by welshbeliever because: sp

Clearly not enough of our tax money is spent on education in Wales, the point I was making is that me, as an Englishman, will be footing the bill for the damage to Wales, just like we foot the bills for every perk the Scottish and Welsh exctract from their national assemblies funded by us.

Last time I looked Wales was a part of the UK who also pay tax...

As an Englishman I INSIST that my fellow Brits use MY taxes to help them..

You sir are a muppet of the highest order!

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I wonder how many castles got flooded. How will they ever deal with the mold problems in those castles? Will they have to tear them down now?
Did any large towns or cities get hit? Does this area usually flood or whats the deal? Looks like mostly country to me. Why people live in flood zones i don't understand that concept. Just like why people live next to volcanic mountains. Seems they run the risk of some form of trouble in the future. Ah ha, here is a good place to live right next to this river and swamp area with the view of the mountinous volcano thats smoking. Oh how i love the smell of pine trees. Lets build a home here.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

This event was caused by unprecented rainfall in the region. Several small upland rivers quickly flooded - although the levels are rapidly falling as is normal in these areas. No castles were affected.

If we were to live only where such rare flash flooding could never happen we'd all have to move out of Britain

Although a number of properties in one village have been affected, many of those who have suffered, and needed rescuing, were holidaymakers with touring caravans and tents pitched on riverside sites. People do like pitching up next to the stream!
edit on 9-6-2012 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

Given enough rainfall, pretty much the entire of the UK is at risk of flooding. Our whole country is made up primarily of river valleys and flood plains, with a smattering of mountains, all gouged out after the last Ice Age.

It is about managing the risk and if an area only see's flooding like this once in 50-100 years, it isn't really a problem.

I have no idea why you ask "how many castles were flooded"... Do you think the UK has a castle on every street corner?

As for the volcano comment, people live there because the ground is usually very fertile and the actual risk of being caught in an eruption is pretty small, occurring in the order of once every few centuries or millennia.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
It is about managing the risk and if an area only see's flooding like this once in 50-100 years, it isn't really a problem.

Aye, locals report it's the worst flooding there since 1963 - although that flooding was caused in part by meltwater after the severe winter.

This isn't something that happens every lifetime!

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It looks terrable out there.

RNLI Flood Rescue team conducting a search of flooded areas in Aberystwyth this evening.

RNLI

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

To start with, I sent all my best wishes to the poor people who have been effected by the flooding in Wales and anywhere else that it has occurred. My heart goes out to the people who have lost belongings, valuables etc. If a fund is started to help these people then I will gladly contribute.

Now, in relation to citybigot, I have only one thing to say to this 'person' and I'll probably be punished for it. If I am, then it's well worth it.

I am not Welsh but English. You, my friend, are one of the biggest, narrow minded idiots that I have ever have the displeasure of reading comments from. You make me embarrassed to be English and BRITISH. One day, I hope I'll have the pleasure of meeting you face to face so we can discuss matters such as this properly.

In the meantime, please take your childish, inane comments to some other website please. Probably one of the right wing, fascist sites you usually frequent.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

"That's a shame. Hopefully once our English taxpayers money has been blown rebuilding whatever has been destroyed, you'll be able to move on with your lives and further devolution."

Thats a bit harsh, dont you think Welsh people pay tax? And if memory of history serves me, The Normans, after conquering and subjugating the indigenous Saxon population of mighty England invaded Wales and made it there own so the United Kingdom should pay to rebuild any destruction, hence the united part, one hand washing the other so to speak.

edit on 9-6-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by iskander683
reply to post by Citybig

To start with, I sent all my best wishes to the poor people who have been effected by the flooding in Wales and anywhere else that it has occurred. My heart goes out to the people who have lost belongings, valuables etc. If a fund is started to help these people then I will gladly contribute.

There is no need to find a fund to contribute to, the contribution is automatically taken from your monthly pay cheque.

Now, in relation to citybigot, I have only one thing to say to this 'person' and I'll probably be punished for it. If I am, then it's well worth it.

Well? Get on with it, or are you just going to procrastinate more to further dramatise your disgust and resentment at someone openly defending the English and England?

I am not Welsh but English. You, my friend, are one of the biggest, narrow minded idiots that I have ever have the displeasure of reading comments from. You make me embarrassed to be English and BRITISH. One day, I hope I'll have the pleasure of meeting you face to face so we can discuss matters such as this properly.

The ladies do agree that I am certainly the biggest, but I am not narrow minded and certainly not an idiot. That title goes to yourself and other people afflicted with the delusion that we are all one nation, equal and friendly.

You seem to believe that the Welsh will accept your meagre offerings with good grace and open heart, but they wont. They'll curse you, and they will still hate you, even when they are sat on their brand new DFS Suite that you paid for. You carry on being "British". I'll laugh at you when we English take back our nation and you few remaining fools who feel "British" still delude yourself.

In the meantime, please take your childish, inane comments to some other website please. Probably one of the right wing, fascist sites you usually frequent.

No, I think I'll stay here, thanks

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by iskander683

Reply to post by Citybig

Did some of your lot not try to take back your mighty England last summer, by that i mean the riots that happend. look how that turned out for you. I think you may be racist mate. There are many people in the U.K, Scottish, English, Welsh and Northern Irish, the majority in fact that shun devolution are are proud to be a United Kingdom. Whats your deal, would you prefer the poor souls drown rather than spend our money/use our emergency services to help them? Might be time to remember that our Grandfathers fought in 2 world wars to retain our United Kingdom, not just England, if you dont beleve me then ask them.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
reply to post by iskander683

Reply to post by Citybig

Did some of your lot not try to take back your mighty England last summer, by that i mean the riots that happend. look how that turned out for you. I think you may be racist mate. There are many people in the U.K, Scottish, English, Welsh and Northern Irish, the majority in fact that shun devolution are are proud to be a United Kingdom. Whats your deal, would you rather the poor souls drown rather than spend our money/use our emergency services to help them?

Before we continue, I'd like you to define the word "racist", and then provide proof that it applies to anything I have said.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Wonder if Prince William was one of the helicopter pilots who also assisted?

guess he's not allowed to be KING yet??

???

that i would have watched,,,,and 5678,billoin others,,,

cool,,
opps he didnt did he?

who' is running his press?? big mistake,,
cool beyond , words.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Might be time to remember that our Grandfathers fought in 2 world wars to retain our United Kingdom, not just England, if you dont beleve me then ask them.

Nah, might be time for you to understand that we as English people are hated simply because we are English, and no ammount of bull# about some supposed "union" will change that fact.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

racist - a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

You seem to think the English, part of the United Kingdom is somehow superior to the others(The poor Welsh we are rescuing) and should somehow not contribute to helping them because you think you pay to much tax(no argument there). We are a United Kingdom. You also go on about how proud Englishmen will retake the nation. LoL! Sounds racist to me im afraid.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

reply to post by Citybig

racist - a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

You seem to think the English, part of the United Kingdom is somehow superior to the others(The poor Welsh we are rescuing) and should somehow not contribute to helping them because you think you pay to much tax(no argument there). We are a United Kingdom. You also go on about how proud Englishmen will retake the nation. LoL! Sounds racist to me im afraid.

You see, now you are just lying and putting words in my mouth. I have never said we were better people, or that we were a better country. I stated that the Welsh should be using tax money generated in Wales to solve this problem in Wales. It shouldn't be OUR responsibility. They hate us and frequently remind us of this fact, so let them deal with this problem.

It's a shame that you have to lie about things, but then nobody who calls themselves British can face up to the fact that the English are being targeted and discriminated in ways that would never be seen in any of the three other countries.

I hope you can be more thruthful in the future.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

Im Scottish, i dont hate the English, ive pumped a few wee English honeys in ma time. My father in law is English, from Derby. I have friends that are English. Why do you think everyone else hates you??? Why do you feel the need to make me understand everyone else hates you(The English), sounds paranoid to me mate.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

reply to post by Citybig

Im Scottish, i dont hate the English, ive pumped a few wee English honeys in ma time. My father in law is English, from Derby. I have friends that are English. Why do you think everyone else hates you??? Why do you feel the need to make me understand everyone else hates you(The English), sounds paranoid to me mate.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.independent.co.uk...

Do we need to talk about the Welsh burning down English owned cottages. Or how about those Anyone But England shirts that are so popular?

You absolutely hate us, so why should I give you anything less than what we recieve?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

"I hope you can be more thruthful in the future."

Think you mean "truthful in the future.". Maybe you local English authority should be spending there hard taxes on the education system eh? I say that for the full nation by the way, not just England, its a crime the cuts they have made to Univercity places throughout the U.K.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join