It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC News - Wales flooding: Major rescue under way after flooding

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I can't see if it has already been covered.
My best to all who are there.
Just sent to me by BBC Springwatch
Flooding

COASTGUARDS ASSIST IN CARAVAN PARK FLOODING EVACUATION.

At 4.30 am Milford Haven Coastguard were contacted by Dyfed Powys police requesting assistance at a caravan park at the side of the River Lery near Borth.

Abersytwyth and Borth Coastguard rescue teams were called out along with the Borth RNLI inshore lifeboat. A rescue helicopter was also requested and sent to the scene.
The Coastguard rescue teams have assisted twenty people in evacuation from their caravans. Two of these people needed assistance from ambulance personnel due to mobility.
There is now concern for others at other caravan parks further down the river.
Coastguard rescue teams have now deployed to those other caravan parks.

edit on Sat Jun 9 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

They're using helicopters to rescue people.
In the link provided, they say that the number of people rescued will probably go up to the hundreds.
Although they're probably used to flooding, one guy says "it's the worst in 50 years".

So I hope no one gets hurt, which is the most important thing.
Houses, caravans and cars, destroyed though.
It's a very serious situation. Good to see people helping others though.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
the water has risen to 5ft in places!!!
and gonna get worse at high tide in the next hour or two :-(

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
That's a shame. Hopefully once our English taxpayers money has been blown rebuilding whatever has been destroyed, you'll be able to move on with your lives and further devolution.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
im welsh not english !
theres more than one country in england , check out a map ;-)
edit on 9-6-2012 by welshbeliever because: sp

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by welshbeliever
im welsh not english !
theres more than one country in england , check out a map ;-)
edit on 9-6-2012 by welshbeliever because: sp

Clearly not enough of our tax money is spent on education in Wales, the point I was making is that me, as an Englishman, will be footing the bill for the damage to Wales, just like we foot the bills for every perk the Scottish and Welsh exctract from their national assemblies funded by us.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

Oh god, another holier than thou English taxpayer.
Please get some compassion on your next visit to the shop.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

So, if it was the other way round, you would deny the financial or physical assistance of Welsh people if you were in need?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by welshbeliever

and gonna get worse at high tide in the next hour or two :-(

Those are the major concerns for the area. One positive thing is; that apparently the rain has stopped.
I hope that's true.
Stay safe Wales.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by Citybig

So, if it was the other way round, you would deny the financial or physical assistance of Welsh people if you were in need?

Yes. Not that this situation would exist, the those north of the border and west of the border would positively revel in our dispair.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

so how much do you pay for carrier bags in england? oh thats right nothing.
i think we welsh do enough when it comes to money.

oh and this thread is about the floods in wales not how great supposidly england is.

old saying around here is.. if you aint got anything good to say..shut the fcuk up lol ;-)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

Nothing is free, remember that.
You want to be the boss in the big black chair, you have to deal with most problems.
Not saying you personally, I mean as in England being the mother country who formed an empire.
That's just how the cookie crumbles, I'm afraid.

You're complaining about your tax money going to an emergency where people could be seriously hurt?

If that's the case, when it's your turn to be saved by someone else, I hope that opportunity never comes, and karma lurks on every corner your dark existence, if that's the case though.
If not, then don't worry about it.

Quack, quack.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by welshbeliever
reply to post by Citybig

so how much do you pay for carrier bags in england? oh thats right nothing.
i think we welsh do enough when it comes to money.

oh and this thread is about the floods in wales not how great supposidly england is.

old saying around here is.. if you aint got anything good to say..shut the fcuk up lol ;-)

So how much do you pay for prescriptions? Nothing. How much do you pay for university in Scotland? Nothing. What you make up in paying for carrier bags is nearly instantly mooted by your consumption of financial resources.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
You're complaining about your tax money going to an emergency where people could be seriously hurt?

Funny because I don't remember you bringing that comment to the Welsh when they were bemoaning the fact that they may have to supplement the water supply in England (at cost to us it must be said).

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

I'm not informed about that.
I'm replying to this thread, which is about a flooding in Wales.
I still don't understand what your problem is with tax money going to an emergency, where people's lives are in danger.

If you feel like you got the short end of the stick, then make a thread about that.
But what's the point of trying to put these people down in this thread?

It's about the flood and how people's lives are in danger and how their homes are being destroyed and how I'm reading this and learning from it, how I could prepare for something like this, or not, but I'm aware it's happening and can offer my sympathy and advice if needed, although I have none, just a stay safe peeps and hope it clears quick.

But that's my character.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I've checked out a few flood maps. One of them showed The Midlands also being affected. This map is slightly different but hopefully today will be the last day of flood risk. Not that the water already present will evaporate in a day but hopefully there won't be any more after today.

Stay safe people!

Environmental Agency's 3 day flood map
edit on 9/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
crazy times
hope all is well and everyone pulls through
floods are a crazy thing and they happen quickly sometimes in minutes the whole town is flooded
it shouldn't matter who is paying taxes on this right now , (that should, and i'm sure will be) sorted out later
the thoughts should be with the people's safety

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

reply to post by Citybig

I'm not informed about that.
I'm replying to this thread, which is about a flooding in Wales.
I still don't understand what your problem is with tax money going to an emergency, where people's lives are in danger.

I like how you conveniently forget the Welsh attitude to supplying water. Don't you want to talk about it because it will expose the blatant double standards? Or because you can't stand dealing with the English on a level playing field?

If you feel like you got the short end of the stick, then make a thread about that.
But what's the point of trying to put these people down in this thread?

We do, many times, and every time we get patronised by you people, and the English traitors who side against England.

It's about the flood and how people's lives are in danger and how their homes are being destroyed and how I'm reading this and learning from it, how I could prepare for something like this, or not, but I'm aware it's happening and can offer my sympathy and advice if needed, although I have none, just a stay safe peeps and hope it clears quick.

I don't care about these people, their homes or their livelihoods. I care about the fact that we in England will be required to pick up the tab as we always are. I have no advice to these people other than vote for whatever party advocates Wales leaving the union.

But that's my character.

Need I say more?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Citybig
I don't care about these people, their homes or their livelihoods.

This much at least was obvious, so, why are you still posting in this thread about a bunch of people you care nothing for? (You have no Welsh blood in you I am guessing
). English, Welsh, Irish here, in reverse order. That's just the lineage I know about. Miners.

ETA I'm Just a Miner For a Heart of Gold.
edit on 9/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Very useful maps there...I have friends and family in the area, so I like to watch what's going on. It should be a reminder to us ALL that flooding can be very sudden and completely random, and given our increasingly unpredictable weather pattern, could affect any one of us. My immediate neighbours were flooded out of their house two years ago, and mine wasn't affected at all....might easily have been the other way around. There is no point in arguing about who pays for carrier bags when people could drown. Getting your car stuck in floodwater is a scary thing...been there, done that, it sucks. The long range weather report is usettled for the next two weeks according to the BBC as the jet stream is far south of it's usual track. Let's just hope for no more flooding, but it seems to be an annual summertime event in the UK now.

Here's a wee linky to some useful stuff, I hope.

Flood preparations

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join