It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun, showers… and an asteroid strike!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Sun, showers… and an asteroid strike!

www.skymania.com

Anyone who has seen the disaster movie Deep Impact will recall the calm and measured tones of the US President as he tells the world of its impending doom as a result of an asteroid collision. It was a slick if chilling public relations exercise. But in reality how prepared is the world for having to deal with such a momentous announcement?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I've often wondered how such an event would be controlled via media outlets. That is of course if "they" would want to tell us in the first place.... but that's another thread altogether.

It's good to see it is being considered, queue Iphone App.

Needless to say, it seems we are far off a co-ordinated global information system. Even with the internet, TV etc, having unified messaging capabilities seems to be a massive task.

I think thhis is a case of "sounds easier than it actually is"

How would we do it?

www.skymania.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9-6-2012 by one_small_step because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
You'll never know till one hits us, I assume there will be much more casualties from panicking than from the asteroid itself
edit on 9-6-2012 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
It will obviously raise many social issues should we have have fore-warning, but I am interested towards the approach taken to getting the warning out and how.

Would having a central person / leader do it with translations for the global audience? How would you ensure everyone got the message not forgetting there are people without access to modern communication outlets.

It may not be an extinction event, maybe something localized.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by one_small_step

Going with your premise..

You would definitely want only one message sent out per country. Barring of course a one world government in the future in which case you would just have one message.

This would be a taped message dubbed over in every language before hand. You would have some sort of system in place to take over all airwaves (Radio, TV) and most main internet service providers so that before getting through to a DNS you would have a "start page" pop up of the same video, language picked just for you by google anylytics...

This message would be day of...

day before would cause to much panic.

Maybe give them 8 hours to drink their beer and get their family together.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I dont think there would/will be any message. TPTB would/will simply and quietly depart for there underground shelters and allow the rest of us the freedom we crave at last, if only for a brief moment before the ELE occurs.

Dont be surprised if in that brief moment of serenity and freedom humanity finally transcends this false/negative reality and relocates to a higher dimension leaving the TPTB to hide in there holes to try again in another 5000 years.

Or we may all just descend into total anarchy, survival of the fittest, back to being Monkeys again for the next 5000 years.

Cycles are a bitch eh?
edit on 9-6-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

I've often wondered how such an event would be controlled

5 words

FEMA Camps and Martial Law

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Why the hell is this in the breaking alternative news forum? Has an asteroid strike happened? No. Has any new technology been discovered/implemented? No.

What's the 'news'?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
I dont think there would/will be any message. TPTB would/will simply and quietly depart for there underground shelters and allow the rest of us the freedom we crave at last, if only for a brief moment before the ELE occurs.

The problem with that theory is that asteroid detection is not a simple binary situation of finding an asteroid and saying "yes it will hit us" or "not it will not hit us" unless it happens to be a relatively small asteroid found only hours before impact anyway (such as 2008 TC3), and even then amateurs and professionals immediately flock to it in order to figure out the exact trajectory and size. Potentially threatening asteroids are being found all the time, and determining whether or not they will hit takes time and many observations from professionals and amateurs alike. Take 2011 AG5 for example, it has somewhere around a 1-in-625 of hitting us in 2040, and let's just say for a moment that those odds will only go up the more we observe it and improve our determination of its orbit. If that happens and we find out for certain that it will hit us, many amateur and professional astronomers will already know about it. They'll have to make some sort of announcement, or else those who know about it will start to spread the word on their own.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

You may be surprised with what the TPTB can achieve during times of crysis. Hitler an NWO puppet managed to kill/euthanize over 16,315,000 people during and leading upto WW2. They can pritty much get away with anything, so disappearing to there underground bunkers with out arousing suspicion would be childs play to them.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake

You may be surprised with what the TPTB can achieve during times of crysis. Hitler an NWO puppet managed to kill/euthanize over 16,315,000 people during and leading upto WW2. They can pritty much get away with anything, so disappearing to there underground bunkers with out arousing suspicion would be childs play to them.

I really don't see what the holocaust has to do with asteroids. By the time "they" realize an asteroid actually is going to hit us, the cat is already out of the bag.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
My point is that when there is a crysis(WWII) whether man made or natural. Everyone's attention is distracted so people dont care to see anything else(The Holocaust). This allows the people in power to get away with anything while the general populace attention is somewhere else, smoke and mirrors.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Hi,
Knee-jerk response...
I watched this last night! Here's the trailer.

Feeling weird.
Back to read OP.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Hi,
People have an instinct to try to survive.

If we are told of an absolute impending doom, where people aren't expected to survive...
People are going to seek shelter anyway.

Don't tell me, let it come like a thief in the night.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Good point ngchunter.

I am trying to keep focused on is the system itself, not so much why tptb would or would not tell us humanity is about to be killed off. I think everyone has their own opinion on that.

Throughout earths history we have been hit by all sort of asteroids/meteors of all shapes and sizes. We have enjoyed relative calm over the last few thousand years. We now have a large population which owes its thanks to this calm period.

So in the event, something modest being identified as inbound and we have the luxury of time, we have the means to minimize the carnage but adopting such a system. This will tie in closely with all emergency services I would assume.

I am aware that herein lies the problem, the modest size asteroids and smaller are nearly impossible to detect.

top topics

join