It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2001: A Space Oddessy or Oddity. try this at home.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Wow! results abound! This is amazing. It has been said Kubrick experimented with subliminal messages in his films (claimed by less than bona fide sources).

The question is why?! Especially since 2001 wasn't made in the anticipation of home video and DVD. People weren't taking their dogs to the theaters either.

Can anybody verify whether there are extra high frequency sounds playing throughout the movie using some recording software?

Or maybe it's just the shrieking "voices of eternity" or whatever that sound effect is called that excites the dogs. But still, it only plays two or three times in the movie..certainly not throughout the entire thing.

Maybe the monolithic spark is meant for dogs! Has your dog been using bones to acquire valuable resources from other dogs instead of burying them? Is he making punjabi death sticks and stockpiling them instead of playing fetch? Maybe we're looking at Rise of the Planet of the Dogs: A 2012 Mayan Space Odyssey (Be very glad I don't work in Hollywood..and hope they don't steal this idea).

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
who knows why the dog stares at the screen, ask him. stanley kubrick made 2001 and by all accounts was extremely eccentric.

maybe as a joke, he included audio only audible to dogs to screw with the owners. kind of an interactive movie.

maybe he thought it would add to the suspense and the nature of the unexplained in which the movie deals heavily in.

kind of like breaking the 4th wall and bringing the subject to your home and reality.

basically spook the crap out of dog owners. to make you believe that your dog knows something you don't.

stanley kubrick was a genius and it wouldn't surprise me. thats what geniuses do.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
nobody remembers the dog on the old style phono-graphy machine,,,

gee,,its not ,,ya ,,throw in some dog freq.,,,lol,,
well they called him a guenius,,,marconi i mean,,,,or was it old Mr. Bell who first noticed the animal connection,,

lol
edit on 10-6-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I don't feel like sifting thru 3 pages to see if someone else has already mentioned this but,

Your consumer level speakers aren't generally going to emit a sound that the human ear can't even hear.
People spend tons of money trying to get a sound system that will go right up TO the level which we can no longer hear.

Both ways, high and low.

just sayin.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Not to mention what I already mentioned in my post above. Home video wasn't happening in 1969 and people weren't taking their pets to the theater. Ya dig?

(sorry if somebody already pointed that out).
edit on 10-6-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
Not to mention what I already mentioned in my post above. Home video wasn't happening in 1969 and people weren't taking their pets to the theater. Ya dig?

(sorry is somebody already pointed that out).

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
I don't feel like sifting thru 3 pages to see if someone else has already mentioned this but,

Your consumer level speakers aren't generally going to emit a sound that the human ear can't even hear.
People spend tons of money trying to get a sound system that will go right up TO the level which we can no longer hear.

Both ways, high and low.

just sayin.

You didn't miss much.

This thread turned into a joke from the first reply.

I really wish it didn't.

I posted a story about an event that I witnessed and found very unusual.

I asked dog owners to try it out with their dogs to confirm it.

Someone else found a little write up about a dog that did the same thing with the same movie.

I then googled "dog watching 2001" and found videos of other dogs watching same movie.

I posted those videos for you all to see.

But this thread continues to get joked on.

Really, what more do you want?

This is a great example of how to derail a thread.

I'm not mad.

Just disappointed.

I thought mods deleted off topic posts.

Just sayin.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

Both ways, high and low.

just sayin.

You didn't miss much.

This thread turned into a joke from the first reply.

I really wish it didn't.

I posted a story about an event that I witnessed and found very unusual.

I asked dog owners to try it out with their dogs to confirm it.

Someone else found a little write up about a dog that did the same thing with the same movie.

I then googled "dog watching 2001" and found videos of other dogs watching same movie.

I posted those videos for you all to see.

But this thread continues to get joked on.

Really, what more do you want?

This is a great example of how to derail a thread.

I'm not mad.

Just disappointed.

I thought mods deleted off topic posts.

Just sayin.

Sorry for having a sense of humor....

I didn't think the thread was derailed though. There were some interesting posts.

I haven't a dog or cat or any pet to try this on and I couldn't resist my comment. I don't jump into threads just to say a silly one liner often. I was in one of those moods.

We need a bit of humor in all threads imo. Something to make you smile while you read about doom can't be that bad?

I gave you a star and flag too..

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Both ways, high and low.
just sayin.

Plain right, I was thinking about that too. The older you get, the less you hear, especially in high ranges.

The experiment.
I tried it with both audio and video first and while she was curious, she kept sitting there (nothing special yet).
Then I shut off the TV but left the surround on. Not really much difference, as she kept looking in the TVs direction.
It came to my mind, I could switch the option for making surround sound out of 3 channel stereo (2.1)
This was when she stood up but kept here place and threw her head around like tracking a fly through the room, but more in direction of the speakers. I turned it back to stereo.

I turned the tv back on and patted on her ribs as a sign to "you are free to do whatever" but she stayed in the room and sat down directly in front of the tv, something she does not do in common. Normally she would lay down under the table in the living room or place herself on the leather couch if possible.

Don´t know to get anything special out of it because she does watch TV when in the mood. The only thing uncommon was the surround thing (I never saw her doing that while watching) and the fact that she lay down in front of the TV, in the middle of the room. Something she never did because she tends to lay at our feet or beneath us. The patting normally results in an explosive like motion of her speeding away in any direction.
edit on 10-6-2012 by verschickter because: forget to mentoin the patting "abnormality" and spelling of course

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

Here is another youtube vid

edit on 10-6-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I thought your thread was really interesting. 2001 is my all-time favorite movie and I've studied Kubrick in depth. Sure, I joked about it a bit too. But it is kind of a humorous topic. I'm sorry if I didn't give the kind of reply you were expecting.

Anyway, I hope my humor didn't outshine my interest in your thread..which was one of the best ones I've come across lately

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I, for one, welcome our new canine overlords.

Stocking up on dog treats

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostLancer

I am in a state of shock right now. I have three hot dogs, Daschundts. Each ate a dog treat before the start of 2001. I sat them down, got them comfy and started the DVD. They were mesmerized. Then, as the scientists on the moon encountered the lunar monolith, each began to beg and squeal. I gave them another treat which they ate heartily. Then, as the scientists were submitted to that noise, my dogs attacked me. I yelled to no avail. I commanded, "Stop! Lie down! Sit!" --and they bit me. I tried to spank them, and my hands were bloodied. I tried to kick them, but they scrambled around me like circling predators, each taking an opportunity to nip and bite. Finally, in a flourish of a frantic jumping and stomping interaction, I ended the encounter. Little did I know that watching 2001 would be so... soooooo.... bad. My poor hot dogs.

NOTE: the above was purely fiction, but the thoughts of someone's dogs freaking out is interesting. I hope the above fiction never occurs in reality!!
No dogs were harmed in the fictional writing of the above post.
edit on 9-6-2012 by GhostLancer because: Typo.

Nice !

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I will definitely try this with my cats later (in the process of moving and taking a break, but tonight when we're hopefully curled up in our new house ready to go to sleep, I'll load up 2001 on my iPad and see what reaction I get.

On a possibly related topic: how many of you get scared watching 2001?

Its not even fear or suspense over what's being depicted, but rather the sounds. I have always, always hated the 2001Theme (or Sprach Zarathustra as it is alternatively titled). This is apparently sacrilege to anyone of "taste" but ever since I was a child, the music has elicited nothing short of terror in me. I love the movie 2001 ASO but I have to turn down the volume - mute it actually - when the theme plays.

I remember the theme used to play during a segment on "The Electric Company" (myb 321 Contact - one of thos educational shows for kids on PBS) when I was a kid, too little to even know it was from a movie, and it absolutely terrified me. After the very first time hearing it, whenever that particular segment would play (I recall it had something to do with ages or passage of vast periods of time), the various educational shorts would repeat in subsequent episodes, and this one was etched in my brain so that the instant I saw the orange colored graphics start to appear, down went the volume, or even got tuned to a different channel for a few minutes for that scary awful loud music to pass).

Even now that I'm an adult I absolutely can't stand to hear that theme, even though I love the movie. A very similar effect happens to me during the monolith on the moon scene. Granted that music and accompanying sound effects - unless it is supposed to be a discrete theme and no sound effects per se - are supposed to be eerie (I think anyway), but I have watched plenty of scary movies with scary soundtracks, and typically am startled by loud sounds, but I dont recall having any reaction quite like I do to these 2 pieces of music. It is a very deep rooted fear/terror/want to plug my ears and make it stop absolutely that instant reaction, and a terrible awful nightmarish feeling.

So, anyone else experience anything like this to these piece of music in 2001? Or 2001 in general? When I show my Kitty Cats 2001 tonight, it will be with the sound muted during hese two scenes (I will not put them thru these sounds) a will report back how they react to e rest of the movie, but absolutely not surprised that there could be something unusual in the soundtrack to this (and probably others) film!

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Good digging (no pun intended) to find a dog with similar interests. lol

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Hey guys I didn't mean to come off all serious and without a sense of humor.

Because I do have one.

This is my other dog.

He actually has almost 2000 followers on Instagram.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Perhaps it could be that your dog has just got really good taste when it comes to movies

2nd

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Your consumer level speakers aren't generally going to emit a sound that the human ear can't even hear. People spend tons of money trying to get a sound system that will go right up TO the level which we can no longer hear. Both ways, high and low. just sayin.

That's not true. Human hearing ranges from 12Hz to 20,000Hz, while dogs range from 40Hz to 60,000Hz. Depending on the audio quality of the source material, say for example a youtube video with mp3 audio will be limited to a cut-off slope between 16kHz-18kHz. The sound quality of professional CDs and DVDs start at 44.1kHz. This allows sound above the 20,000Hz range of human hearing. With this information it is more than possible for sounds to be encoded into CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD, that are above the range of human hearing, that can effect animals.
edit on 10-6-2012 by JustStat because: Added quote

edit on 10-6-2012 by JustStat because: Corrections

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
What I find the most strange about it all is that the dogs watch from start to finish.

My dog likes to sleep.

But when the movie is on. She watches and does not sleep.

I also read the comments about the frequency of sounds coming out of standard speakers.

But when I first witnessed her watching the movie.

I had a pretty sweet set up with a recording mixer and pro monitors for sound.

I do some music production on the side.

Also I would like to mention that I do have incredible hearing ( their words).

I scored a 0 in one ear and a 1 in the other.

Most people with excellent hearing score on average a 25.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Also I would like to mention that I do have incredible hearing ( their words). I scored a 0 in one ear and a 1 in the other. Most people with excellent hearing score on average a 25.

I took a standard hearing test. The frequency range you have goes down as you get older; or if exposed to loud music through headphones/concerts. My results of the hearing test showed I have a teenagers hearing range of about 16,200kHz. Anything above that frequency I can't hear. I tried a youtube video hearing test that started at 18,000Hz with my family in the room and I heard it at about the same range as my hearing test results. My mother on the other hand didn't hear anything till about the 14,000Hz range. I guess it's a common misconception that speakers can't produce sound above the range of human hearing, when in fact, they can. Also the military uses sonic weapons. Here is some information quoted by Wikipedia.

Designed to emit sound as an irritant Extremely high-power sound waves can disrupt and/or destroy the eardrums of a target and cause severe pain or disorientation. This is usually sufficient to hit the incapacitate of a person. Less powerful sound waves can cause humans to experience nausea or discomfort. The use of these frequencies to incapacitate persons has occurred both in counter-terrorist and crowd control settings. The possibility of a device that produces frequency that causes vibration of the eyeballs — and therefore distortion of vision — was apparently confirmed by the work of engineer Vic Tandy[3][4] while attempting to demystify a “haunting” in his laboratory in Coventry. This “spook” was characterised by a feeling of unease and vague glimpses of a grey apparition. Some detective work implicated a newly installed extractor fan that, Tandy found, was generating infrasound of 18.9 Hz, 0.3 Hz, and 9 Hz. In 2005 British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) reported that the crew of the cruise ship Seabourn Spirit used a long range acoustic device (LRAD) to deter pirates who chased and attacked the ship.[5] More commonly this device and others of similar design have been used to disperse protesters and rioters in crowd control efforts. A similar system is called a "magnetic acoustic device".[6] The BBC reported in Oct 2006 on a 'mobile' sonic device which is being used in Grimsby, Hull and Lancashire and is designed to deter teenagers from lingering around shops in target areas. The device works by emitting an ultra-high frequency blast (around 19–20 kHz) that teenagers or people under approximately 20 are susceptible to and find uncomfortable. Age-related hearing loss apparently prevents the ultra-high pitch sound from causing a nuisance to those in their late twenties and above, though this is wholly dependent on a young person's exposure to high sound pressure levels. High-amplitude sound of a specific pattern at a frequency close to the sensitivity peak of human hearing (2-3 kHz) is used as a burglar deterrent.[7] During the 2009 G20 summit in Pittsburgh, the police used sound cannons against protestors.[8]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join