It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2001: A Space Oddessy or Oddity. try this at home.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
When i first got divorced. I lived at home with my parents for a few months.

During that time, I watched alot of movies on my desk top computer.

One being the classic, 2001: A Space Oddessy.

My little chihuahua would often sleep on my bed while I spent time alone watching my computer screen.

I would often put this movie in my dvd player and I would fall asleep watching it.

One day, I got up and went to the restroom and when I came back, There was my dog watching the movie.

It wasnt like she was looking in the direction of the screen, she was straight up watching.

I started to watch her closely every time I put in this movie.

Sure enough, the dog watched it from begining to end. eyes wide open. just staring at the screen.

This was about 3 years ago.

I have since been married again and life is good.

I told my new wifey about our dog. She kinda laughed it off. I dont think she belived me.

While moving to another state, I got rid of alot of things I didnt have room for, some of those things were my dvds.

One of those dvds was 2001.

The other night, just by chance, 2001 was on tv. And I remembered what my dog would do when I would play the the movie.

I told my wife "watch this, watch what our dog does when this movie is on."

Sure enough, my dog froze and watched.

Wife was blown away.

My theory is there is an under laying sound that is hidden in this movie only dogs can hear.

I am well aware of the begining of the movie when it is just black and there is a humming sound for a few minutes.

Could this sound continue at a level that as humans we can not hear?

I ask all dog owners that have this movie to try this out.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I'll put it on and see how the missus reacts...

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Curious to see if anyone else has the same results.

Interesting.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This IS strange in the third degree, but, since we all KNOW
"they" have been putting weird subliminals in everything in media...
Is this even a second thought ? My question why it took your best friend
so long to figure it out? for real animals are way smarter than us
when it comes to weird stuff happening.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
This her watching it.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
It's a really great movie--my favorite. And dogs take on the habits of their owners haha. Okay, seriously now...that is a really interesting theory and I can't wait to see some results on this thread. Sorry I don't have a dog to test it out with.

Star and flag.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Supporting case?

He enjoys playing soccer, being brushed with a slicker, and he intently watched every minute of 2001: Space Odyssey, his favorite movie

Source

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Supporting case?

He enjoys playing soccer, being brushed with a slicker, and he intently watched every minute of 2001: Space Odyssey, his favorite movie

Source

WOW!

Nice find!

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
cool story!

i always heard that dogs cannot 'see' t.v. like we do.
but, i had a pitbull that,whenever an animal show would come on t.v., he would get all excited and lick the screen!!!
he had a very long tongue(i had a few misfortunes of having it in my mouth when he gave me kisses!
eeewwww!!!) and he would lick the whole screen! i would literally need a scouring pad to scrub off his dried saliva!
he seen the animals though!

also,i heard that in the movie 'the exorcist' they used the sound of bees subliminally in the back ground to make the veiwers 'uneasy' while they watched. humans have an inborn fear of bees is the theory.
not sure if this is true,but maybe they used a similar method in 2001!
just a thought.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Just found this on youtube.

and this

Whoa! and this!

edit on 9-6-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-6-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

I am in a state of shock right now. I have three hot dogs, Daschundts. Each ate a dog treat before the start of 2001. I sat them down, got them comfy and started the DVD. They were mesmerized. Then, as the scientists on the moon encountered the lunar monolith, each began to beg and squeal. I gave them another treat which they ate heartily. Then, as the scientists were submitted to that noise, my dogs attacked me. I yelled to no avail. I commanded, "Stop! Lie down! Sit!" --and they bit me. I tried to spank them, and my hands were bloodied. I tried to kick them, but they scrambled around me like circling predators, each taking an opportunity to nip and bite. Finally, in a flourish of a frantic jumping and stomping interaction, I ended the encounter. Little did I know that watching 2001 would be so... soooooo.... bad. My poor hot dogs.

NOTE: the above was purely fiction, but the thoughts of someone's dogs freaking out is interesting. I hope the above fiction never occurs in reality!!
No dogs were harmed in the fictional writing of the above post.
edit on 9-6-2012 by GhostLancer because: Typo.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Hey OP, just because your chihuahua picture [I love chihuahuas] cracked me up so much and the brilliancy of this thread a S&F!
I checked out other dogs meanwhile who watched 2001 and it is amazing.
Next I will try our cat...no promises though as they are a bit more advanced as dogs...

edit on 9-6-2012 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I caught my cat watching tv a couple of times she seems to like "Shake It Up" and "Good Luck Charlie" but as soon as I tell my children look who is watching with you, she will move or stop watching like she knows I am on to her...hmmm I have heard that Cats are smarter then dogs or is she just embarrassed that she likes Disney shows?

True Story!!!
My other cat, Ginger, prefers films...he is male, he liked watching Space Balls with me last week, consequently when I noticed him watching he also acted like he wasn't.

Then my other cat, Taco, who is a bit slower openly watches the Finder with me and Touch and I think he likes Glee too.But he never is covert about it! He sits right in my lap as I watch them on my computer.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
S+F! I will *have* to try this with my three dachs...could be interesting.

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It may have to do with the soundtrack. It has a lot of odd sound effects. Here's the monolith scene,(I hope, havn't posted a vid in a while).

edit on 9-6-2012 by JMech because: Told you.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Dogs are cool.

And many, many more.
edit on 6/9/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Gonna have to try this with my pitty. The cat, however, has a penchant for slasher films and war movies. Perhaps I should be concerned over her apparent taste in watching humans being mangled.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
My cat watches TV all of the time.
I leave the TV on for him when no one is home so he isnt lonely too.

He likes good luck charlie =P
And family guy.

But ill look at him randomly watching the tube and he'll be sitting or standing or laying in front of the TV and watching it. Its cute. Never really considering why he watches the TV, perhaps the colors amuse him? or the sounds it makes? Im not sure. =P

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

That is so strange.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join