It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Start A Fire With 9V And Steel Wool

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I can't believe I've never seen this and I'm sure the majority of you guys have but thought I would share for anyone like me who somehow never managed to see this in action.

Seems like a good addition to the bag.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
A safety tip: Do not store the steel wool and battery in the same pocket.
You laugh but I've seen it happen.

Can be used to light cigarettes too. Don't do it more than once or twice though, you'll get a stomach ache.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Now that's awesome thanks for sharing...never seen that before S&F good find

Now I got and idea for my BOB

edit on 8-6-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
definitely do NOT put the battery in your pocket, especially if you have metal of any kind in there or anything else that would conduct an electric current... it will overhead because of being shorted out and it will burn you.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Any battery will work. You can even use your cell phone battery and everybody carries a phone now days.
So even if you have no signal the phone still could save your life.

I have used this method a few times.

just do not hold the steel wool as it gets VERY VERY hot, EXTREMELY FAST!

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Just have to make sure to get the real steel wool. Lot of it is not the same today. Another tip is dryer lint. This is one of the best tinders I have ever used. Just a small baggy in the bag comes in handy and very little weight are space. Make sure to fluff it before use.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I haven't done that intentionally in over forty years. I did catch steel wool on fire accidentally on a car when I laid it across the + battery terminal and to the metal of the car one time not long ago.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Ever make a beer can burner.
I use the bottom of two fosters cans a piece of fiberglass insulation and a little bottle of thermal aid ( it goes in the gas tank) not as flamable as gas. Just make sure you poke a vent hole in the bottom center. and dont forget the holes for the burner on top.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I can't believe I've never seen this and I'm sure the majority of you guys have but thought I would share for anyone like me who somehow never managed to see this in action.

Seems like a good addition to the bag.

Man! You must have had better toys than we did growing up! My brother and I were like mini firestarters as kids. That was before Teddy Ruxpin though...

It'll sure light it up! We actually caught our socks on fire one night acting stupid with stuff like this. Good find! S+F for having better toys.

edit on 6/8/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

Could you elaborate a bit more. Always intrested in outdoor type tips. How are you putting it together.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by David134

Pretty cool. I'm too lazy for it though.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Wow that is really good information to have. Star and flag, I thank you for this post.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
You can make cool stage explosions with steel wool combined with a little gun powder loosely packed in porcelain light fixtures.
Flip the switch and POOF...encore.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thank you very much Domo. Little tid bits of info like this can be really handy at times. One never knows what tomarrow brings.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Just make sure you get the steel wool that isnt caked with soap. It doesn't work too well with that, but I used to do this all the time as a kid

and strangely I never considered it to have any use, now I do!

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Steel wool is also good with a magnesium fire starter.

www.rei.com...

Just make a small birds nest of steel wool and scrape a little magnesium in it and use the striker to light it

Also take cotton balls and dampen with petroleum jelly and drop a couple in the birds nest of burning steel wool and you will get a large flame that will light even damp wood

The magnesium fire starter steel wool and the cotton balls take up little room and Guarantee you can get a fire started in the worst weather with practice.
Two cigarette pack size metal tins will hold the magnesium fire starter and steel wool in one and the cotton balls with petroleum jelly in the other and fit in a Fanny pack with candy and other concentrated survival energy food.

with the right food in the fanny pack, water, and a good large hunting knife to cut wood you could survive for a week or more.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I used to do this very thing to my scouters...i would wire the battery.....set up the camp fire....hide the wires in the dirt....and have someone hiding with the battery...I would then tell a fantastic story of how the natives would pray to the lightening gods....and have all the scouts start chanting strike our fire...strike our fire.....then after a few chants i would signal the battery operator...and poof....fire.
edit on 043030p://f03Saturday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by plube

Awesome. I sort of want to try that.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Cool trick... Going to have to try it. S&F

top topics

<<   2 >>

join