It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN says 7 UN peacekeepers were killed in an attack in southwestern Ivory Coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

UN says 7 UN peacekeepers were killed in an attack in southwestern Ivory Coast

www.washingtonpost.com

UN says seven UN peacekeepers were killed in an attack in southwestern Ivory Coast.

The United Nations says seven U.N. peacekeepers were killed in an attack in southwestern Ivory Coast.

At the end of April, the U.N. said there were about 9,400 peacekeeping troops, 200 military observers and 1,350 international police in the mission along with civilian staff. Over 40 countries are contributing military personnel.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Literally just breaking.

Ivory Coast continues to remain in turmoil since their disputed elections and brief civil war two years ago.

Laurent Gbagbo had been re-elected after 10 years in power. Alassane Ouattara disputed the elections and launched a military offensive which eventually saw the capture of Gbagbo.

The UN was in the country prior to this and clearly remains there to this day. Highlights the danger peacekeepers find themselves in on these missions. I salute them.

www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Sounds to me that we agree with the terrorists that Assad needs to be taken out apparently and if an intervention does apparently happen you can bet Russia will be dragged into Sryia.

The propaganda on Sryia is still going on.

The other day CNN was showing footage of the Syrian rebel snipers doing their own bit.How many have they killed ? Why the Western media is dead silent on the violence perpetrated by the rebels ? This partisan media role is making many outsiders sympathize with the Syrian government.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

This news item is on Ivory Coast not Syria.

A bit more detail.

"According to the provisional death toll, seven blue helmets were killed in an ambush ... seven blue helmets from Niger," Sylvie van den Wildenberg, spokesperson for the mission known by its acronym UNOCI.

uk.reuters.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
This is a pity for the individual soldiers on loan to the un.
Folks are fighting back against this crooked organization.
If these "peacekeepers" were not where they should not be, they'd still be alive.
I know un troops in my country would have a short life span.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Oh sorry there Peruvianmonk, i had Sryia and UN on the thoughts today.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

They are in Ivory Coast to keep the fragile peace that exists there at the moment.

Further information,

Bert Koenders, the U.N. envoy to the west African nation, said the peacekeepers were part of a patrol south of Tai in an area which the U.N. mission recently reinforced because of threats of attacks against the civilian population.

A U.N. official, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly, said the peacekeeping patrol was attacked by a large number of people. The official estimated that perhaps 40 peacekeepers had been in the area and were dug in overnight to protect the village against a new attack.

www.google.com...

And more from the Hearld Sun

According to a UN source, the peacekeepers were patrolling in an area between two villages after hearing rumors of an imminent attack on communities in the region. "There's panic in the villages, many are fleeing into the forest, others are heading for Liberia," said a resident of Para village by phone. The mayor of nearby Tai village, Desire Gnonkonte, confirmed that residents were fleeing. Ivory Coast's west is by far the most unstable part of the country and has been plagued by deadly attacks since the end of a political and military crisis that started in late 2010 and left some 3,000 people dead. In a report published Wednesday, Human Rights Watch said at least 40 people have been killed since July 2011 in raids the group blamed on fighters loyal to Ivory Coast's ex-president Laurent Gbagbo.

www.heraldsun.com.au...

Sounds like a touchy situation in this area of the country and a tough one for the civilans. It seems like the UN mission made a pre-emptive move to protect civilians and took casualties as a result. As a Chapter VII intervention its mission includes,

to protect civilians under imminent threat of physical violence, within its capabilities and its areas of deployment,

www.un.org...

Gbagbo has yet to be trialed by ICC, this could get worse when that begins.

edit on 8-6-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

The un is NEVER there just to keep the peace.
The un is the corporate occupying force.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by g146541

They are in Ivory Coast to keep the fragile peace that exists there at the moment.

They should get out.

The United Nations is an evil organisation, and should be dismantled completely. It is an Illuminati front group, and absolutely nothing more. Its' entire purpose is simply to make people believing that a single global government would somehow be a positive thing. It would not be. If it were implemented, it would be a form of irremovable, permanent, intractable tyranny.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

reply to post by g146541

They should get out.

The United Nations is an evil organisation, and should be dismantled completely. It is an Illuminati front group, and absolutely nothing more. Its' entire purpose is simply to make people believing that a single global government would somehow be a positive thing. It would not be. If it were implemented, it would be a form of irremovable, permanent, intractable tyranny.

Thank you!

Why can't people see this. Every time I hear someone say the United Nations should DO SOMETHING. I think no they shouldn't.

You stated it perfectly, intractable tyranny. This is what the European Union has become to Europe. Total control that cannot be removed because you don't make your own laws anymore.

The EU plans to take money from the most productive countries like Germany and give it to the least productive countries like Greece. It is welfare on a governmental scale. This is what they want for the entire world.

I just find it strange that a former sovereign nation can no longer decide what it will do with ITS OWN MONEY. It is decided for them. smh

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Literally just breaking.

Ivory Coast continues to remain in turmoil since their disputed elections and brief civil war two years ago.

Laurent Gbagbo had been re-elected after 10 years in power. Alassane Ouattara disputed the elections and launched a military offensive which eventually saw the capture of Gbagbo.

The UN was in the country prior to this and clearly remains there to this day. Highlights the danger peacekeepers find themselves in on these missions. I salute them.

www.washingtonpost.com

The UN is the most useless hypocritical organization to ever be established by mankind . The only reason the UN troops are their now is to make sure the Islamic opposition comes to power , the atrocities they commit against the Christians goes untold for the most part.

See this link for more details

www.thegatewaypundit.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Yea I gave up with this thread following the comments above.

I don't see the point of discussing matters with convinced ideologues who like to make outlandish statements with no contributing evidence.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Yea I gave up with this thread following the comments above.

I don't see the point of discussing matters with convinced ideologues who like to make outlandish statements with no contributing evidence.

Yeah this thing sure jumped on the crazy train pretty fast. Its ATS though you have expect that. If you want an intelligent conversation you will have to go some place else.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

reply to post by g146541

They should get out.

unlike the nation states we are all forced to live in currently?

new topics

top topics

join