It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to move to Bhutan!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Just found a great video about this adorable little Buddhist kingdom in the Himalayas:

- In 1972, while the whole world was ramping up its mad scramble for materialism and capitalism where success was measured in Gross National Product (GNP), the king decided that the well-being of his people was the most important factor, so he started measuring that in Gross National Happiness (GNH).

- In Bhutan, cannabis plants grow everywhere and are almost more common than grass... but the citizens don't smoke it, they feed it to their livestock. One farmer said his cows didn't like the stuff much, but "the pigs are hooked." The commentator said this is probably the only country in the world "where pigs can indeed fly."

- The GNH is composed of different factors, one of them being preservation of the natural environment. The king prohibits logging companies access to the country, and no trees are to be harmed. Bhutan is now the only country in the world where the number of trees is steadily growing instead of diminishing. Even the king himself has to file for a permit if he wants to take down a tree for his own use.

- Electricity comes from hydropower, and plastic bags are outlawed. Everyone in the country seems totally content and everyone loves the king.

It really made my day -- I think we should use this country and its gentle, non-violent people as a role model.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Whoops... I posted this before I was quite done with the video. Now they're saying that TV and Internet were being introduced in the Bhutanese culture. I wonder how long it's going to be before everything falls apart after that.
I really think, to stay in that paradisaical state, you have to keep out all the "modern" scourges of mankind. With TV come commercials and artificially induced needs and desires... horrific news from all parts of the world... crime shows full of blood lust and violence... and so on and so on. With the Internet comes the endless bombardment of information on your fragile nervous system, which will probably end the famous Bhutanese calm and contentment rather soon. What a horrible shame.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylvie

One farmer said his cows didn't like the stuff much, but "the pigs are hooked." The commentator said this is probably the only country in the world "where pigs can indeed fly."

I wonder if pork chops in Bhutan are like the Amsterdam's Bulldog space cake.
edit on 8-6-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Paradise on earth!

====================================================================
weeds grows free, if you want it.

internet is unmonitored.

the aim of the king is to make his people happy!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing this video. I had no idea. The funny thing is, I just got done playing a strategy called Civilization IV where you play a Monarch in charge of your own civilization. I decided to refrain from investing into much military and un-clean sources of power and instead made my only goal to make sure my citizens where happy and healthy and had clean sources of food and energy. My country did a lot better than normal because I didn't have to waste so much effort trying to keep my citizens happy during a wartime. They threw parades for me almost of everyday called "We Love The Monarch Day". All-in-all, it was a much ore successful game than usual.

It seems like the King of Bhutan has the same goals in mind. It's truly a good goal to go after. I know rulers love money and power but you get an even greater feeling when you can make every one in your kingdom happy.

Bhutan seems lovely. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Oh yeah I forgot my manners, Thanks for the post

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
It is very inspirational to see such a different, yet positive, approach taken to society. I like their overall approach, however I do not believe in avoiding modern advancements. As you mention in your reply to the thread, though, this often comes with various 'mental pollutants' through greed and the like. HOWEVER, this is not inherent in the technology. Just the way we use it. Imagine television-technology being used PURELY for enjoyment, as opposed to a new outlet to maximize profit. Imagine people being able to easily partake in the technology, not having it all limited to a few elite. I think this happiness-oriented approach is great, I just think we should apply that approach with modern technology as well.

And that's great the cannabis grows everywhere and they don't smoke it...that just means unlimited amounts for me, without competition

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
They feed the weed to their pigs so they get the munchies and they get fat so they'll produce more meat. Besides marijhuana being in abundance, there is little artificial light so the night skies must be spectacular.

Imagine smoking weed by just picking it off some bush then enjoying it while watching those night skies...

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan
Thank you for sharing this video. I had no idea. The funny thing is, I just got done playing a strategy called Civilization IV where you play a Monarch in charge of your own civilization. I decided to refrain from investing into much military and un-clean sources of power and instead made my only goal to make sure my citizens where happy and healthy and had clean sources of food and energy. My country did a lot better than normal because I didn't have to waste so much effort trying to keep my citizens happy during a wartime. They threw parades for me almost of everyday called "We Love The Monarch Day". All-in-all, it was a much ore successful game than usual.

It seems like the King of Bhutan has the same goals in mind. It's truly a good goal to go after. I know rulers love money and power but you get an even greater feeling when you can make every one in your kingdom happy.

Bhutan seems lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I always find it amazing how we all seem to crave this kind of paradisiacal state, gentleness, non-violence, caring for nature and all living beings around us... and how unable we are to actually create it. Why is that?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Sounds like an absolutely jolly place. I'm not sure these people are quite so think it's quite the paradise that tourism ad claims it to be. I doubt you'd be welcome there in any case.

Don't start packing yet.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This is the way it should be.

Nations should live independently.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
Sounds like an absolutely jolly place. I'm not sure these people are quite so think it's quite the paradise that tourism ad claims it to be. I doubt you'd be welcome there in any case.

Don't start packing yet.

Hmm... not quite so idyllic now... Thanks for the article!

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

This is a short, crafted, sales pitch for the region. I suggest going there and trying to shop, find a job, talk nasty about the king, get sick, need to start a project whereby the parts or supplies are not available. People tend to see a minute piece and thing that is the reality. One can easily but together images of Stalin and make him seem like a wonderful man.

new topics

top topics

join