It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. could tax U.S.-based Web sites, leaked docs show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

U.N. could tax U.S.-based Web sites, leaked docs show

news.cnet.com

The United Nations is considering a new Internet tax targeting the largest Web content providers, including Google, Facebook, Apple, and Netflix, that could cripple their ability to reach users in developing nations
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Why this is going to be debated at the UN is beyond me, and is this about the money, or is about regulating content on the internet?

The power of taxation means control as to the objections of the current administration and political parties in this country is a bit of a joke.

They would relish the power and the funds generated by this, rather they do not want to share control.

The UN has been trying to do a lot of things lately, from the small arms treaty, to agenda 21 and other things that I am currently unaware of.

Seems to me that the UN has become too big for their "britches" and needs to be taken down a peg.

I fully support kicking the UN out and cutting off all US funds towards that organization and if they want to play world police let them have at it, but lay off American business because all this is going to do is raise prices to the end users.

I personally use google and netflix more than any other content provider to date.

What this will lead to is heavily subsidized access to the "poorer" end users.

In other words Global wealth redistribution via the internet.

What say you ATS?

Should this be shot down?

news.cnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Wait... when did the U.N. gain the authority to levy taxes?

It sounds like idle ramblings to me... The U.N. can't impose taxes... and it would be a very comical scenario to see them try to do such a thing while the EU's economy is flaccid.

You can't really tax a U.S. based website and not impact the EU. It's like trying to tax an EU based website and not impact the U.S.

I honestly hope they are serious. This could be entertaining; and better they try it while there is still considerable resistance to globalist efforts at an international government. It might get them to back off for another decade or so before trying something stupid again.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The UN doesnt have any legal capacity to tax anyone. We don't pay any form of taxes to them. So I suggest everyone ignore the BS.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
Wait... when did the U.N. gain the authority to levy taxes?

It sounds like idle ramblings to me... The U.N. can't impose taxes... and it would be a very comical scenario to see them try to do such a thing while the EU's economy is flaccid.

You can't really tax a U.S. based website and not impact the EU. It's like trying to tax an EU based website and not impact the U.S.

I honestly hope they are serious. This could be entertaining; and better they try it while there is still considerable resistance to globalist efforts at an international government. It might get them to back off for another decade or so before trying something stupid again.

They don't and no one is going to let them. No government authority can force any of their citizens to bow to their world government as that is treason.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
from reading that it seems like the owner of a website would have to pay whatever the country who recieves the information wants to charge the same as an international phone call so i can see alot of websites just filtering to cater to their national markets and the hassle of using tor/vpn's into the country will put off alot of people who just fancy a quick browse of some site in a distant country

but i'd love to see the legal framework get put into place in every country to work out how much each country has to pay each other and the regular settling of balances and how fast country x will blacklist country y

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
The UN doesnt have any legal capacity to tax anyone. We don't pay any form of taxes to them. So I suggest everyone ignore the BS.

Not true. By using the carbon tax initiative, the EU has imposed an emissions tax on carriers using EU airports, including those from the U.S.. China, India, Russia and the US are among the countries opposed to the EU fee, which took effect on 1 January.

bbc.com

The EU's Commissioner for Climate Action, Connie Hedegaard, said the opponents should work with the EU to create a global scheme to cut aviation pollution.

Didn't mean to fill the thread with unrelated information. Just giving an example of the U.N.s ability to levy taxes.

edit on 8-6-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The premise behind a single global financial authority is being tested in the EU as we speak.

National sovereignty, as expressed by regional governments, is marketed by the elite as a hindrance to 'stability' and 'sustainability'... not because it is...but instead, because it is an obstacle to control.

Control is the result of power.... something they have, and never want to lose.

In the same manner as "social security" was a vehicle to empower governments to extract wealth from citizens directly (before the citizens even actually get it) so carbon market creation will be the framework for the national-scale methodology to do the same on a much more "profitable' basis. Global central bank, here we come.

Intellectual property is the "brass ring" they are reaching for... it's virtual, and once they have the authority to claim "ownership" of it... they will forever reign in a world of their making.

The Internet scares them.... as people learn more each day that the paradigms and maxims they've been selling us for decades, if not centuries, are the stuff of fairy tales... to keep us from realizing that WE are the wealth.

... sorry... feeling a bit economically apocalyptic today...

edit on 8-6-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

That makes a lot of sense there and nothing apocalyptic about that there was a lot of truth there.

America is in decline,the EU is in decline and now those same people behind those failures seek a new horse to back the UN as it being one of the most recognized organizations in the world, and one of the most accepted.

Just another means to the same end and gives credence to the "NWO" or the global agenda.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I agree, but nothing prevents the U.S. from doing so, and "earmarking" the tax as part of our support for the U.N.
Given this administration's willingness to consider our sbjugation and submission to other nation's policies, it would not surprise me to find advocates, including our Ambassador to the U.N.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Exactly. The UN are have no power to raise taxes!

However... As many of these high technology and internet based companies seem to avoid tax, it seems like it may be a way to get these companies to actually (er) pay up!. Google and Apple are well reported culprits, although (strangely) if you Google "Google tax avoidance" you don't get much, so best try another (more reliable) search engine.

Regards

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I am starting to thinking it is time to disband the UN. They are getting too big for their britches.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal

Not true. By using the carbon tax initiative, the EU has imposed an emissions tax on carriers using EU airports, including those from the U.S.. China, India, Russia and the US are among the countries opposed to the EU fee, which took effect on 1 January.

bbc.com

The EU is not the UN.
The EU and its member states can control their borders, ports, airports, et c. and trade with and among its members.

The UN has no such authority.

The EU's Commissioner for Climate Action, Connie Hedegaard, said the opponents should work with the EU to create a global scheme to cut aviation pollution.

The EU can tax its members to oblivion if it wants to, or impose carbon caps and trading schemes to strangle entire markets and economies. They can adopt the Kyoto Protocol or the Law of the Seas Treaty.

The US is unaffected unless it agrees to participate.

Didn't mean to fill the thread with unrelated information.

But you did mean to fill it with false information?

Just giving an example of the U.N.s ability to levy taxes.

Where?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
I am starting to thinking it is time to disband the UN. They are getting too big for their britches.

All we have to do is reduce or eliminate our "contributions," or make them conditional, and you will see a different UN. Right now, it serves the administration's purposes nicely. Expect the worst from a lame-duck or additional term.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Just have the US pull it's funding from the UN budget and it will dry up and blow away.

Easy solution.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif
Just have the US pull it's funding from the UN budget and it will dry up and blow away.

Easy solution.

I disagree (no disrespect intended).

The transnational corporations will never allow it to die willingly. It is near the heart of their global framework; they have been diligent while we fight among ourselves. The General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade, The World Bank, The International Settlements Bank, the International Monetary Fund, UNICEF, etc. etc. It's insurance. They offer up The CODEX Alimentarium, The Law of the Sea Treaty, Uniform Code of Commerce... They are the "dungeon master" in this financial game of D&D the Oligarchy plays with the Technocrats... we are just 'pieces'... not even players.

Consider the "roots" of the UN has shifted towards the Central Banking Cartel. The US contribution maintains much of its operational budget.... but funding can change overnight.... Just ask the Lehman Brothers.

top topics

join