It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High school teacher tells graduating students: you’re not special

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

I LOVE this news story... after having been to several graduation gatherings over the years...I find it refreshing and just what most of these pampered people need to hear.

I was seeing it EVERY year, the speeches, that ONLY inflated the students micro -world of peers and self important people... those who strive to be so popular, and get the coolest "green" or Politically correct "title" as a student.

They do not realize that 6 weeks after graduation, MANY who were supposedly their best friend will act like they never knew them..etc. Then they MOVE ON to the newest form of total garbage competition... "SO..WHICH university are YOU attending... I AM attending "X"....!

Like one isnt worth speaking to unless they are in your "league", or attending a higher cost college..

Yet we are inundated with honor roll students who can NOT tell time on a analog clock, let alone FIGURE IT OUT!! Cuz they had everyone figuring it out for them all their life.. NO CHALLENGES..

Students who head off to college without a CLUE on budgeting money, etc.. they just KNOW they are the greatest gift to mankind since Christ, walked the Earth...lol.. and their poop dont stink... EVER.

Yes, you've been pampered, cosseted, doted upon, helmeted, bubble-wrapped," McCullough said in his speech. “Yes, capable adults with other things to do have held you, kissed you, fed you, wiped your mouth, wiped your bottom, trained you, taught you, tutored you, coached you, listened to you, counseled you, encouraged you, consoled you and encouraged you again. You've been nudged, cajoled, wheedled and implored. You've been feted and fawned over and called sweetie pie. ... But do not get the idea you're anything special. Because you're not."

www.nydailynews.com... national/high-school-teacher-tells-graduating-students-special-article-1.1092109

What you have are young adults with a huge over inflated sense of self importance, who dont know ANY real skills for the real world in general. Kids whose world is DESTROYED because so and so "UNFRIENDED" them at Facebook...(Hey it happened to my buddies daughter, just this week..lol)

In general, kids are quite caccooned through life.. over protective parents and the nanny state have created some pretty lame graduates...They can spout the greenhouse propaganda to the letter, but dont have a clue to check over their car for a road trip so they have a safe journey, or change a tire, GOD FORBID, thats what TRIPLE A is for, right?

And when I get a job it BETTER BE something other than flipping burgers, cuz I am better than that!

A lot "think" they deserve a 80k/yr job right off the bat! No serving time in the learning and working world..

This is JUST a generalization, but over the years I have seen more and more of these frikkin airheads graduate, and are dumber than a box of rocks with the smart ones picked out! lol.

Kids need survival skills taught to them.. world survival skills... in the working world... times are going to get brutal for emerging young adults to try and make a go of life, and be successful..

Granted, that is if there is a world for them to grow old in... as we hurtle towards another global conflict..

NO WONDER THEY ARE MESSED UP... look what "we" gave them?

Kudos to this speaker to the students!! We need more of them.

Pravdaseeker

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Gee as a mother of 5 boys ,2 young adults now, one still at home and will be fawned over until my dying breath, living in an evil demonology hellish world of abuse and inequality, a scarsity system when we should all be in the Venus Project, a system of complete abundance, highest technology creating a world were we are creative, and spend much time with family, I can only say, he is a complete DOFUS and every single child is precious and special beyond belief. Nor should they have to sit in fear of job interviews, or lose out and starve or struggle. Shy or outgoing, low self esteem shouldn't even exist, we should know each other inside out and be really really caring, sensitive beings in a world that caters to everyones needs and many wholesome wishes. And caring. A shy awkward graduate, should only need to show up volunteering and be assured more learning and apprenticeship at whatever they choose with all resources shared equallly amongst all the people.

I guess your mindset is a scarsity hellzone. I know this is all crimes against humanity and remember the way real worlds are, what they're like, and no one wants to leave them, trust me, because they rock beyond.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pravdaseeker

Agree entirely, pravdaseeker. Why should they expect to be " Special " ?

So anyone who isn't academic / graduate isn't up to much ? A lesser person ? Lower class ? Dim even ?

I would expect the " Special " attitude here in the UK, but not in the USA...

Graduates - Academics have helped get the world into the state it is in.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

A shy awkward graduate, should only need to show up volunteering and be assured more learning and apprenticeship at whatever they choose with all resources shared equallly amongst all the people.

And that Shy Awkward graduate will go from the hands of a coddling mommy to the meat grinder that is the real world.

Your right though as a Mom that is your job, to protect and nurture, but its also to prepare your children to the real horrors out there in the world they may face.

Otherwise they will be deer in the headlights of this world.

“You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.”

edit on 8-6-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Search function. Use it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Well thats pretty awesome. If only someone woulda done this at my grad to those over spoiled brats I went to high school with.

Mind you the ones that need to get told things like this usually think they're to cool to listen.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Out come the soccer moms...lol Thats ok, I figured it would cause a stink of some sorts..lol My wife might be on your side of this news story..

Nope, no "scarcity hellzone".. All I am saying is, I agree with this guy, they ARE NOT so damn special to the point it is drilled in them..

I know a a lot of kids who do NOT meet the generalizations of the OP, and jist of the teachers speech. But a huge lot of them... DO.

Those that over protect their children will be faced with wiping their bums when they are 35 yrs old, because they could not make a logical decision on finances, or something in life..

They get in jail somehow, well you better RUN down there and get them out ASAP, and pay ANY fines for the kid, just make it all go away...this is how many folks deal with "kid issues", it happens all the time around here.

Some call it enabling.... others just being a mum..lol ITs an article, I did NOT write it, just agree with its content.. chill.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

A shy awkward graduate, should only need to show up volunteering and be assured more learning and apprenticeship at whatever they choose with all resources shared equallly amongst all the people.

And that Shy Awkward graduate will go from the hands of a coddling mommy to the meat grinder that is the real world.

Your right though as a Mom that is your job, to protect and nurture, but its also to prepare your children to the real horrors out there in the world they may face.

Otherwise they will be deer in the headlights of this world.

“You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.”

edit on 8-6-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

Its not my kids world, nor was it mine, and we're all shy. We reonounce and the demons and hellzone DOG EAT DOG TOUGHEN THEM UP CRAPOLA.

And the only thing I'm encouraging and working out right now is a variety of learning experiences, ie. small businesses to start and grow in, learn in. Because I don't want them ever to stand under anyone else's bad ideas.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

What if the most special of all individuals is at best an ordinary being? It has to be that way otherwise the ego feeds a need and as long as there is need, their is no real freedom.

Not long ago I began to realize how insignificant I am. Not that each blade of grass is not as immeasurable as the brightest star, and existence has loved me this is certain, but just to be ordinary instead of striving to be extraordinary seems more miraculous than I could hope for in this life.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Family is the opposite Just when I am at my lowest, the sun burst out of clouds and I'm having a meeting at the door, and they surround you with encouragement, love, humor, joy, peace, and every single hair on every single child is precious.

What holds people into worlds like this is their own thoughtscape, the programming, and its beyond the cradle to grave programming of the world, whole spirit tribes or families are subject to thoughtscapes or paradigms. The thought of learning in pain, or fear, of being mistreated, versus good self esteem, and exploring in safety, with joy and helping others. Only with good self esteem do you value every single being before you, the homeless, the poor, those in need, without a hint of judgement.

Its letting go of the thoughtscape and striving to be like Family above, like the true rays we are that makes all the difference in the world and makes us truly free.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton
reply to post by mileysubet

I do what I please. Deal with it.

You sound like a great guy....

On Topic: The poster Jefferton is a prime example of the type of people that high-school graduates will have to deal with in the real world.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

Hello Jefferton, ATS Readers, Writers,

Well EXCUUUUUUUSSSSEEEE ME please sir/madam..lmao!

I DID use the search, and entered the story headline, it didnt come up, I posted the headline, SOOOORRRRYYY.
Perhaps it was different headline from a different source, on the same story that was posted..and why it did not show up in my search... if it was changed by that poster, well tough nuts..lol.

With ATS being such a huge site, I ALWAYS search before posting a new story... guess it slipped through the cracks..

With a quarter million members being the first to post a story is almost impossible...lol

Oooops...

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by pravdaseeker
Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

Kids need survival skills taught to them.. world survival skills... in the working world... times are going to get brutal for emerging young adults to try and make a go of life, and be successful..

That is what parents are for.

So what are you going to do about it? Start a 101 cars for dummies class so all these poor, helpless students can live up to your standards?

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
You all need to read, the Five People You Meet In Heaven.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The teacher's got a point in one sense, but on the other hand isn't that an opportune time for a student to stand up and say: "Well with teachers like you teaching us nowadays, how could we ever be anything special?"
edit on 8-6-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Hello Nixie, ATS Readers, Writers, and trolls.....

ACTUALLY, there WAS A auto shop class in my school, I did not go to it, my father taught me that stuff.

In TODAYS world a lot of those skills are not taught by the parents, THEY are too busy "gaming", on "Facebook, making a farm with some other idiot"... or too busy partying in general, or SLEEPING in and letting Nanna take care of the bubby..they got a hangover.. and need their sleep.

If you have managed to prepare your children, then good on you.. great!

ONCE AGAIN, I didnt write the dang article.. just agree with a lot of its content... you want to rag someone, write the AUTHOR! LMAO.. some people..

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pravdaseeker

You know your post is not politically correct.
It's sad to say but I have to agree with your thread. The coddling of this generation isn't helping them to become independent but making them more dependent.

When my son started playing indoor sports at an early age at the local YMCA, keeping score was out of the question. The new feel good approach was let the kids have fun, we don't want kids to become upset because they lost a game. Hello, the real world doesn't work that way! There are always winners and losers in sports, in the classroom, on the job, everywhere you go. This approach is creating a generation of kids incapable of coping with failure. It's causing them to be mediocre, apathetic, and unmotivated to do their best. They no longer feel they have to work hard to get anything in life. It's just going to be handed to them.

There is a particular upscale school in our area that allows students to take a test over if they failed it the first time. They're being taught that in every situation in life you will always get a second chance, wrong! These same students who have graduated from this school have been known to ask their professor's in college if they can retake their tests!

I'm sorry to say, high schools and colleges across the nation are lowering standards to accommodate incoming college freshman. Students today whine about anything that is challenging. They no longer want to problem solve, but be given the answer or shown step-by-step how to do an assignment. Following simple directions or simply listening has become a struggle.

Employers around the country are having a hard time finding young people with good work ethics that show up on time, show respect, follow verbal directions. are motivated and show initiative. The majority of school aged children want to do their own thing. Playing video games, Facebook and texting 24/7 is there priority. Asking them to please refrain from these things for an hour is like asking them to run 10 miles. Education is the lowest priority of most students today. Getting a "C" in class is like pulling teeth. They would rather sit and do nothing all day and fail the class.

They believe success will be handed to them on a silver platter. Mom and dad will always be there to hand out money, provide them shelter and food. We're sending unprepared graduating students out into the wolves den.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Hello handfoldman, ATS Readers, Writers,

LMAO!! How true!! The teachers do suck, WHY?

Because for them to be a teacher, they MUST teach the carriculum mandated by the state institutions.

They are FORCED to teach... I.E.: alternative lifestyles and exploring the gay thing, beginning in 3rd grade in some places, or earlier.. insanity.. but THAT is the carriculum they are TOLD to teach, or else they are fired!

That is just an example of things taught to kids that has NO business in school until much older...or perhaps doesnt need to be taught to them, as they grow up, and EXPERIENCE the world, they can come to these decisions on their own, without some sort of indoctrination from "birth" almost...

There was a 8th grade graduation test on the internet from the 1930's... I took it... and consider myself pretty well informed...got a big library of books all read, yada yada yada.. lol.. and I PASSED this test with a LOW "C" grade.. I gave to a few of my friends, they all failed miserably..

Yes, many have referred to this "phenomena" as the intentional dumbing down of America... it works too..

LOOK WHAT they can pass off as presidential material, election after election after election.. the more "DUMB" the public becomes.. the MORE CLOWNISH, and absurd the leaders... devolution..lmao

Long gone are the days of some teachers who throw their heart into it, and give the extra that kids need in real lessons of life.. If they do, they get told to stop it, because someone might sue the school...not kidding.

Pravdaseeker

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join