It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canine Comfort: Do Dogs Know When You're Sad?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I believe this to be true.

Plenty of pet owners are comforted by a pair of puppy-dog eyes or a swipe of the tongue when their dog catches them crying. Now, new research suggests that dogs really do respond uniquely to tears. But whether pets have empathy for human pain is less clear.

In a study published online May 30 in the journal Animal Cognition, University of London researchers found that dogs were more likely to approach a crying person than someone who was humming or talking, and that they normally responded to weeping with submissive behaviors. The results are what you might expect if dogs understand our pain, the researchers wrote, but it's not proof that they do.

news.yahoo.com...

What I've found in the 16 years I spent with my dog, when I was sick, upset, or depressed, she always responded according to how I felt. On those days when I was sick or upset, she never left my side. When I was depressed, she always did something silly to make me laugh. The people in my life couldn't do what she did for me.

So regardless if they find the true answer or not in this study, I know it to be true.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Anyone who owns a dog knows this is true.

Studies also say you can't punish a dog after the fact, as they can't remember what they did wrong. Don't remember? Yeah, right. We have multiple dogs, and when we come home to something amiss, it's real easy to spot the culprit. It's the dog with the ears down, hiding in the back bedroom. They remember.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtap66
Anyone who owns a dog knows this is true.

Studies also say you can't punish a dog after the fact, as they can't remember what they did wrong. Don't remember? Yeah, right. We have multiple dogs, and when we come home to something amiss, it's real easy to spot the culprit. It's the dog with the ears down, hiding in the back bedroom. They remember.

Absolutely!!! When I had my three dogs, I would come home to a pile of crap sometimes, and whoever ran to hide was the guilty party.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yep, me too. My dog knows when I don't feel good and whines for me to lay down with him. It's so cute, because he's stubborn and won't budge until I do.

The night of the dog attack, I'm not sure if he was scared, or trying to get the dog away from me, but my dog totally ran back to his house and knew where it was, and the pit followed my dog after I got hurt. Then, I had to run to back to my house following the dogs to try to get the pit bull off of him.

Not sure if he was scared and ran or ran to get the danger threat away from me.

I think my dog knew, he couldn't compete with the bit bulls aggression and that's why he ran.

I still love him.
He's my baby.

But, dogs do know. Nothing scientific about it.
edit on 8-6-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

He ran to get the attacking dog away from you. That's the best way to look at it.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Good post ! I think this is partly true, In my case. They can certainly, and without doubt read my body language, and know how it relates to them. I would say they pick up on what I'm doing, and how I'm behaving, rather than my emotional state. I do realise this may vary from owner to owner. We're all individuals, as are our dogs. Each dog / owner relationship is unique, too...

For instance, they can tell whether I'm going out on my own, or taking them with me, they know to within five minutes when they should be fed !

A lot of it is to do with the fact that we tend to be creatures of habit, and they know this.

" Man's best friend " how very true...!

What sort of dogs have you all got ? I' ve a Golden Retriever, and a Cocker Spaniel, a pair of comedians !

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

I agree it truly comes down to the owner, and how the dog is treated.

All my dogs have passed away unfortunately, but while they were here I had a Maltese, English bulldog, and a Shih Tzu.

They provided some of the happiest times in my life! I don't know if I'll ever own one again, I can't take the heartbreak.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
They have done studies that show dogs react "morally" to situations, IE, one dog will risk himself to save another dog, even if its not of its pack.

Other studies have shown that dogs can tell "Unfairness".

Dogs are also the only animal that picks up human social ques from birth, Point at something and a puppy knows your pointing at the object of interest.

May seem simple but takes some advanced thinking to work out.

Its my belief we may be "advancing" Dogs, much like how cooking and hunting improved human brain capacity (extra calories going to thinking instead of surviving) I imagine this is happening to dogs on smaller scale.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I can never say nothing bad about my dog. I love him too much.

Only because,

He hates my whole family and will growl at any family member or friends, and strangers that comes near me or anyone that that tries to come in the house when I am around.

But what is totally funny, he will let anyone come in the house if my sister is around and I am not.

Attitude of whatever, go ahead and do whatever.

I think it's cute.

He protects me and only me.

Best man that I have.

He won't even let my sister walk around the house at night without him growling at her.

And I'm like, "Good boy, you get her" HAHA

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
There is no doubt dogs know how we feel.
They are masters of empathy,and know more about us than many will admit.

Dogs can sense your mood,and alert you to threats beyond the capacity of human senses.
They have been hanging out with us for thousands of years for a reason.

Here is one of my pack:

I trust him more than most humans.
He has earned it by chasing off armed home invaders.
No joke.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

What kind of dog do you have? It looks like mine.
He's exactly the same way with me. Still trying to figure out his breed.

He has the hair around his face just like your picture now, but in the summer it falls off, and he looks like he's clean like in the after photo with no hair shedding.

SPCA, has him down as a Chow and Shepard.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

He is just a freakishly long haired German Shepherd.
And one of the most intelligent dogs I have ever had the pleasure to know.

You have a real beauty there-looks like a German shep of sorts.
Nice color,and looks like a happy dog.

edit on 8/6/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: yeah yeah

After looking more at your pics,
Yep I am sure your dog is very much German Shepherd-the fat furry paws on the first pic when your dog was a pup,and the ears and expression in the second picture confirm it.

Great dog,and happy too-you must me a good sort to have such a dog.

edit on 8/6/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: extra letters added and moved about

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Absolute they can sense how you feel! As can felines.

Study shows through someone's breath, as well as by their skin, dogs can detect cancer:

Biochemical Markers

Dogs can identify chemical traces in the range of parts per trillion. Previous studies have confirmed the ability of trained dogs to detect skin-cancer melanomas by sniffing skin lesions.

Source here.
edit on 8-6-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

When I was looking for my cat, I saw him come in that day, and the SPCA told us, "if I wanted to pick a dog out, to go down the street."

But I said, "If I can't find my cat a week later, I will get one of the dogs."

There were 6 puppies an he was the last one left.

So I was like, Aawwwwwwwwwwwwww

I'll take him.

I'm a sucker.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Not only cancer-we have specially trained dogs working in the UK to alert people before they have an asthma/epileptic attack.

They can detect subtle changes in humans,and bark,advising medication etc,before an attack takes place.

We owe dogs a lot IMO,they help us without questioning our motives throughout history.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Absolutely they do. Not many problems that my dogs cuddling up with me can't fix. (or at least make me feel better).

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Absolutely they do. Not many problems that my dogs cuddling up with me can't fix. (or at least make me feel better).

I could be having the worst day and just be worried out of my mind, but when my dog was in my lap, all my worries seemed to melt away!

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Canine Comfort: Do Dogs Know When You're Sad?,

If the dog knows you, of course it does. Dogs as companions goes back an awful long way in human history. Dogs can be trained to assist the blind, to detect oncoming epileptic seizures, diabetic crises etc, and even to help herding sheep
(regional humour, mainly applicable to welsh and yorkshire folk)
Mans best friend? that is entirely up to you, and how you relate to your four-legged friend.

And to 'Manhater', I respond emotionally. please don't hate us, it really hurts, and we don't all deserve it

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

10 Commandments for Dogs ~

From a Dog's Point of View

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Regular separation from you will be painful and can even cause depression. Think before you buy me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want from me don't be impatient, short-tempered or irritable.

3. Place your trust in me and I will always trust you back, respect is earned, not given as some sort of inalienable right.

4. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. I am not capable of understanding why I am being locked up. I only know I have been rejected. You have your work, entertainment and friends. I only have you.

5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your tone. "You only have to look at my tail" to know that.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget, if that treatment is unjust or bad, it may spoil the special bond between us.

7. Please do not hit me. I cannot hit back, but I can bite and scratch and I don't ever want to feel the need to do that.

8. Before you tell me off me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be wrong with me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food or I've been out in the sun too long, maybe my heart is getting old and weak, or maybe I'm just dog-tired.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old and will also want care, love, and affection.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, irrespective of what you do I will always love you.

here

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

That made me tear up!! I cannot stand to see a dog not being cared for, loved, and cherished. There's a house behind with a Boston Terrier chained up, they pay him no attention, leave him out in the elements, and I rarely see them water/feed him.

I want to go over there, take him, and make him mine!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join