It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's first Parkinson's vaccine is trialled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

World's first Parkinson's vaccine is trialled

www.newscientist.com

TEN people with Parkinson's disease this week received injections of the first vaccine aimed at combating the condition.

Called PD01A, the drug primes the body's immune system to destroy alpha-synuclein, a protein thought to trigger the disease by accumulating in the brain and disrupting dopamine production.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
We can only hope they are on the right track; and that the 10 people testing the new drug will respond well.

Affiris, the company bringing us this particular chemical hope says:

Vienna, 5 June 2012. The world's first clinical study to develop Parkinson's vaccine is now being performed by the Vienna AFFiRiS. Dubbed the PD01A drug directed against a disease as responsible for reputable protein called alpha-synuclein and is currently being tested in a Phase I study of Parkinson's patients. The vaccine thus offers the prospect of treating the causes of Parkinson's disease and its potential for success prompted the U.S. Michael J. Fox Foundation to develop PD01A generous financial support. The Vienna-based study was designed to confirm the safety and tolerability of PD01A. To up to 32 patients are included in the study.

AFFiRiS AG announced today the launch of the Phase I study of its Parkinson's vaccine candidate PD01A known. The vaccine represents the world's first drug that targets a causal treatment of Parkinson's disease and is designed not only to symptomatic effects. PD01A will do the most specific for the (alpha-syn) and alpha-synuclein labeled protein involved in the development and progression of Parkinson's disease have a key role. By the vaccination is to stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies which are directed against alpha-syn. The study is performed in Vienna in the Confraternity private Josefstadt and include up to 32 patients.

The culprit they are trying to address is called Alpha-synuclein (wiki:en.wikipedia.org...) and seems to have pertinence to Alzheimer's as well.

Here's to hope!

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-6-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

This is exciting!

I worry about my wife getting Parkinsons. I had an aunt that always had ghost pains, restless legs, small stature, food allergies, etc. She was a great woman, but no doctor ever found the causes of her odd ailments. She was eventually diagnosed with Parkinsons in her 60's and it killed her in her 70's.

My wife reminds me so much of that particular aunt, but my wife has the benefit of a lot of new diagnoses like Fibromyalgia and Celiac's disease. I'm not sure I believe those diagnoses, but so many of her aches and pains remind me of my aunt's aches and pains, and it worries me about what she may be diagnosed with later in life.

Hopefully this vaccine works!

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
They're targeting a protein that is thought to be responsible for this disorder?

Will this target only people who show symptoms for Parkinson's or will this eventually become part of the cocktail of autism to prevent every other disorder on the 'possibility'?

Parkinson's isn't a virus or bacteria...it's a genetic disorder. This vaccine is intended to target a protein in the brain which tells me that if they can target that specifically then we are only a few steps away from vaccinations against IQ...

I'll concede that all I know of this so far is from the article presented but I don't think that I am inclined to jump on the hope bandwagon just yet...especially where vaccines are concerned...

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
3-5 years from now I fully expect to see commercials that go a little along the lines of:

"Did you or a family member take "Parkinsgone" and suffer severe debilitation and/or death? If so, call the law offices of..."

Because EVERY damn product from the Pharma world eventually goes down this path.

If it has the word "vaccine" in it, you can stick yourself first Pharma guy, and then we'll see about me.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It would be amazing if true.. what about those people who have had the disease for a number of years? it would be great to see Michael return to his former self.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

You'll get little argument from me. "Precautionary" has become the by-word for pharmacological commerce these days.

Also, the possibility of prion affectation within brain physiology must be considered... at that element seems strangely absent from consideration with this drug.

But... well... I really hope they actually have found a truly beneficial path towards treatment....

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Always a vaccine found for things and never a cure. I wonder why that is?
Guess theres more money in vaccines than there are cures, since people that may never even get the disease will take the vaccine as apposed to only being able to market a cure to people that actually have it.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I certainly hope that these drug trials go well...... and furthermore, I am anxious to learn whether these drugs will be of any efficacy for those who already suffer from the effects of this devastating disease.

I am not saying this as something that "sounds good" or would be seen as presenting myself as a "empathetic, caring member". My interest is close to home. My older brother has been suffereing from an early-onset form of Parkinsons'. He began showing symptoms: muscle spasms, painful cramps and a decided "unsteadiness" and loss of balance about ten years ago. He has struggled with this ever since.

I pray that the results of this test are overwhelmingly positive and that there will be some cascade effect which will make long term Parkinson's sufferers live lives that are, at least, of a greater quality.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

This reminds me of a documentary first aired ten or so years ago whereby a stuntman with Parkinson's was trialed with ecstasy to control the erratic arm and leg movements with dramatic results. I remember seeing him take the drug and within a small amount of time he had transformed into a different person. A documentary worth digging around for and if I come across it, I will post a link. In the meanwhile, some links about that study and stuntman ...

Ecstasy 'relieves Parkinson's Disease' -- BBC News, 2001

Ecstasy has dramatic effect on Parkinson's symptoms -- New Scientist, 2002

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Fascinating that!

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This is all part of the nefarious agenda to give everyone Parkinsons, or Autism, something like that...

Way to go though, there has been some great effort in Parkinson research, and any step towards something to fight it is one in the right direction.

new topics

top topics

join