It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover "Curiosity" News Conference Monday June 11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
For those of you who have been following (or are interested in following) the progress of the Mars Science Laboratory rover named "Curiosity", there will be a telephone press conference on Monday June 11 at 9 a.m. PDT (noon EDT, or 1600 UTC). The purpose of the telephone conference is to give a status update on Curiosity, which is set to land on Mars on August 5th (or 6th, depending on your time zone).

It's a telephone conference, so if the public wants to listen in, it will be audio only. The website to access the audio stream is:
Audio Stream Link

Link to JPL article about Teleconference:
NASA Hosts Teleconference About Rover En Route To Mars Landing

For the people not as familiar with this mission, the Mars Science Laboratory (or MSL) is a rover that has been named "Curiosity". This is largest rover ever sent to Mars, and has a powerful suite of instruments. It will be landing in the "Gale Crater" area of Mars. Gale Crater is an interesting place for two reasons:

1. The soil consists of a lot of clay, and clay can only form in areas of standing water, and in water that is neutral rather than acidic. So it is thought that Gale Crater was once a very wet place -- and it may have been very wet around the same time life was emerging on Earth.
2. There are canyon walls and a mountain peak inside Gale Crater that should have exposed geological strata lines that would allow scientists to study the past geology of that part of Mars, perhaps going back a few billion years.

For more info about the MSL, click this link to NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory's (JPL's) MSL mission website:
marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 6/8/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: speellling, and. grammar

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
thought this was going to be something completely different.

Good to know anyways though.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up Soylent. S&F
MSL is an awesome probe, its going to give us a lot of new data and it may answer some long-lasting misteries about the evolution of Mars geology and, even, the possibility of past life.
Sweet!

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
thought this was going to be something completely different.

Good to know anyways though.

Now that I read the title again, I suppose it could be a bit ambiguous. I'm guessing you thought this was a thread about a "curious" discovery made by one of the current rovers on Mars (such as the rover "Opportunity").

I think the title is still fine the way it is, but I'm sorry for any confusion. Thanks.

---------------

By the way, for those not that familiar with the MSL mission, please check out the wild landing procedure planned for "Curiosity". This rover is too heavy to use the airbag method that was used for the Opportunity and Spirit rovers, so they are using a novel method, as seen in this video:

The Mars atmospheric entry and landing starts at about the 1:00 mark of the video

edit on 6/9/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Wow that video was impressive! I can't wait til the new Mars Rover will touch down, very exciting. I hope there will be microbiological life in the crater as well as evidence of past life.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Just a reminder. The telephone media conference mentioned in the OP is starting in about 25 minutes:

www.nasa.gov...
marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov...

top topics

join