It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

two cases, you be the judge. (a teen's life ruined, doctor cleared.)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Case One:

Dr. James Corasanti was driving drunk and texting while driving late at night when he struck and killed an 18-year-old girl on a skateboard. He was charged with five felony counts – including second degree manslaughter – but was acquitted last week on everything except a misdemeanor DWI, which means he could end up serving less than a year in jail.

Link

Case two:

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) - A 16-year-old girl has been charged with manslaughter, assault and texting while driving in connection with a September 2011 fatality collision. It's a moment the young driver can never take back, and one prosecutors said could have been avoided if she'd just put down her phone.

Link

I do not agree with what this teen did, and do believe she should be punished, but I do not believe she should be charged as an adult here. Her life is ruined.

But in the other case, a doctor who was still drunk 5 hours after drinking, was texting and hit a pedestrian, drives away and gets a slap on the hand.

I put this is civil unrest because if anything proves a bias in this country this is it based on how much money you have, this is it.
edit on 8-6-2012 by tw0330 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-6-2012 by tw0330 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
S&F
Thank you for posting this absurdity.
It truly shows that we're living in a world of double standards and hypocrisy.
SMH
I'm ashamed to have brought children into this world, I fear for what they're going to have to live through once they get older. It's not getting any better.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
not many opinions here.

This teens life is ruined because of a mistake. She is guilty but is also only 16 and can't even vote. Had she purposefully killed a person, she should be charged as an adult, if she was committing a felony at the time, she should be charged as an adult, but she was committing a misdemeanor offence, that is committed by probably 60% of teens and at least 25% of adults.

She should be charged as a minor.

On the other hand, you have a Doctor who was Drunk, Texting, driving, and a hit and run but gets a misdemeanor dwi out of it. He says he thought he hit an animal, but name one person with a BMW that wouldn't stop immediately after hitting the animal, just to see the damage, especially damage that dented the whole right front side in.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

So the doctor should be treated differently than the teenager?

BS.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. They should both be punished equally.

Age discrimination by the OP. That's what I see here.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I think it mainly shows the difference that competent legal counsel, and the ability to afford it makes. In my wilder pre-military youth, I saw this first hand amongst my friends, though with much less serious offenses. The people I know who had enough money to afford a decent lawyer were treated drastically different for the same offenses than those who were forced to use a public defender. By drastically different, I mean years worth of probation and days as opposed to weeks or months incarcerated.

Justice may be blind, but it uses those scales to weigh your gold.

Though I do know of one case where an aquaintance of mine acted as his own attorney in a jury trial and won. He asked each of the state's witnesses "Did you see me shoot a gun at you?". They all answered no and the jury acquitted him.
edit on 8-6-2012 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The doctor clearly had to know the result of his actions. He's an "educated" man, holds a position of "professional responsibility", and whatever his other circumstances, those things should have put nails in his coffin.

Btw, I deliberately put those words in quotes because I don't feel that education makes you in any way a better person and in fact may make you worse, as is perhaps demonstrated here, and I don't feel that doctors are either professional or responsible, again as demonstrated here.

The young girl also knew that it was a stupid thing to do but she is a kid. Things happen in our youth and we learn from them. That's what being a kid is about.

As the fine doctor has illustrated though, sometimes all the other stuff doesn't teach us a thing.

Putting this girl in prison and robbing her of her future serves no one.

Putting the doctor in prison and stripping him of his license to drive and to practice medicine (having clearly demonstrated a gross lack of judgment and moral fortitude, as well as an inability to gauge his own abilities) would serve society much, much more. When you have a lot to lose and you muck it up, you should bloody well lose it.

Our society is kinda screwed up when we're expected to be morally and ethically sound, to be responsible for ourselves and others, but those rights and responsibilities are specifically denied until someone decides that they really do apply in this case but not in others...IT'S REALLY KIND OF SCHIZOPHRENIC, is it not? How can you know? And the younger you are, the less you get said experience because people are always deciding things for you.

We need to sort ourselves out. If you're in an already underprivileged situation, it seems like the laws are always falling against you. If you're already in a privileged position, the law always works for you. What sort of example is that from the upper crust? Why should it be this way? They already have too much and they get to buy more still. Sick, sick world.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustingfatbody

right age discrimination. they call them minors for a reason

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

....How can you hit someone while drunk, knowing it or not, and not be found guilty???? Of course he didn't know, he was !@%$ drunk!!

I'd love to know what those jurors were thinking..

If you kill someone, purposefully or not, knowingly or not, you should be punished accordingly. The girl, 16 or not, deserves jail. So does the doctor (who deserves much more jailtime, he should be charged with murder)

From the girls case:

The victim's son said his niece, the 10-year-old girl injured in the crash, is recovering and doing well. He suggests having Gannon travel around to high schools in the metro area and talk to kids about the dangers of texting and driving. He believes that's a good way to hold her accountable and spread awareness among young drivers - something he said is most important. Instead, the teen could face up to four years in state prison if convicted of the involuntary manslaughter charge.

That guy has a really good attitude, it's not easy to be so forgiving. Still a max of 4 years is NOT that bad for killing someone? She probably won't do much time though.
edit on 6/8/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

Your comparing a "conviction" with "charges."

The doctor was probably charged with all kinds of things also, but the conviction was much less. The teen girl was charged with all kinds of things, but her conviction will likely be much less just like the doctors.

top topics

join