It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Dutch players subjected to racist chants

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

We invented the game. we have also managed to get rid of racism from the terraces of English Clubs, we should have a lot more influence over the game and how it is run.

Maybe you should take care of John Terry first. When your former captain is on trial for racism, your words sorta lose their intended impact, no?

The English still have their problems here and there, but when you look at where they were 20 years ago, the modern game is now 100% improved.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

Originally posted by Citybig

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
reply to post by woodwardjnr

and britain has that Rothschild who controls Trillion dollar corruption funds like Global security fund and your monarchy squanders public money on pompous celebration while impoverishing its own population. Also britain protects wahabi terrorists.Considering this Britain should not be allowed to host tournaments.
edit on 8-6-2012 by ludwigvonmises003 because: (no reason given)

Yeah, but at least we aren't US Americans.

LOL, US Americans....as opposed to the other types of Americans out there......

I wouldn't want to offend the peoples of the other nations in the Americas.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
reply to post by steppenwolf86

And most of those who are have simply lacked exposure to different skin colors

So that's an excuse for racism?.....lack of exposure?

I do agree with you though, the Ukraine is infinitely more racist than Poland.......but Poland does have a problem.

Not an excuse but a rational explanation. If you are not exposed to something you develop fears and a bias, would you not? My mother is from a small Michigan town and did not see a black person until her teens. She was amazed and could not stop staring and asked insensitive questions of her parents about the skin color of the person. Why? Because she had never seen it before.

So no, it is not an excuse, but it is rather the reality.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by leosnake

Trouble has erupted hours before the start of the Euro 2012 football tournament, with local thugs attacking English-speaking fans and hurling racist abuse at star players.

About 50 hooligans punched and kicked foreign football fans speaking English and Russian as they drank in a pub in the central Polish city of Lodz.

The fighting broke out after Dutch players com

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Do these racists turn up to tennis or rugby games and make monkey chants, or is it just football they plague? I wonder...

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Not surprised by this in the slightest to be honest. Will happen throughout the tournament. Particularly interesting when taken in conjunction with Blatter's statement that any black players that walk off the pitch if they suffer racial abuse will be booked for leaving the field of play!

As if we didn't think Blatter was a big enough tit already!

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JailTales
Do these racists turn up to tennis or rugby games and make monkey chants, or is it just football they plague? I wonder...

Mostly football. I could be cruel and say that Rugby crowds have a higher collective IQ, but that would be a low blow.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

The thing if if one player walks off I imagine the whole team will follow. It will be interesting. One thing I will add is that I remember before the 2010 World Cup there were plenty of rumors about how safe fans would be and other perceived problems that never materialised. The governing bodies like FIFA and UEFA need an total overhaul. Blatter is like some Mafioso gangster in charge of the worlds most popular sport.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by leosnake
reply to post by leosnake

Trouble has erupted hours before the start of the Euro 2012 football tournament, with local thugs attacking English-speaking fans and hurling racist abuse at star players.

About 50 hooligans punched and kicked foreign football fans speaking English and Russian as they drank in a pub in the central Polish city of Lodz.

The fighting broke out after Dutch players com

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Funny how I have lived in Poland for a year and a half, but have never been attacked for speaking english. In fact, because I speak very little Polish, most people go out of their way to help me. Even the homeless drunks know to ask me for a cigarette in English.

This is just typical of the negative reporting about Poland which I see all too much of. These are a few people who will cause trouble and give a bad name to the rest of the country. When a LA Dodgers fan put a Giants fan into a coma, did we all start labeling Dodgers fans as violent monsters?

It is obvious that no one here can be reasoned with. I LIVE IN ONE OF THE HOST CITIES. But my opinion means nothing, you would rather read the tabloids.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

At least it is his last term. I do actually think the BBC investigation was totally over the top though, if i am honest. They seem very good at finding information at just about the best time for publicity! So good, in fact, we should probably send them to the UN to look for weapons of mass destruction

Hooligans are all over the place, in just about every country on earth. Do not think we have eradicated this in the UK. Firms that want to fight still do, they simply arrange to meet miles from the ground - for example, in a forest off whatever A road is easily accessible for them all. The numbers are certainly way down on what they were in the 70's and 80's though.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Not an excuse but a rational explanation. If you are not exposed to something you develop fears and a bias, would you not? My mother is from a small Michigan town and did not see a black person until her teens. She was amazed and could not stop staring and asked insensitive questions of her parents about the skin color of the person. Why? Because she had never seen it before.

Sorry but I disagree.....it has nothing to do with "exposure" it is to do with education, your argument may have been valid in the 50's and 60's, but I don't think it is valid today.

Watch the Panorama documentary, the fans from Legia Warsaw knew exactly what they were doing, chanting "death to jews" and performing the nazi salute en masse, monkey chants at black footballers....maybe it's just a problem at football matches, either way it is a problem, and one that should have been addressed before Poland and the Ukraine being awarded a prestige football tournament.

Football in the UK isn't perfect by any means, but we have all but eradicated this type of behaviour.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Chernobyl 25 years later, half population is retarded. Somebody cover these Nazis in cement and forget about it.
edit on 8-6-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Sorry but I disagree.....it has nothing to do with "exposure" it is to do with education, your argument may have been valid in the 50's and 60's, but I don't think it is valid today.

Watch the Panorama documentary, the fans from Legia Warsaw knew exactly what they were doing, chanting "death to jews" and performing the nazi salute en masse, monkey chants at black footballers....maybe it's just a problem at football matches, either way it is a problem, and one that should have been addressed before Poland and the Ukraine being awarded a prestige football tournament.

Football in the UK isn't perfect by any means, but we have all but eradicated this type of behaviour.

While these idiots may chant such things, the vast majority and their own grandparents were fighting in resistance movements and hiding and saving countless jewish people. It is a small minority. No one even cheers for Legia Warsaw, they are a joke! The UK has a larger problem with anti-muslim attitudes than Poland does racism and anti-semetic wackjobs. Should London not have been awarded the Olympics? Last time I was traveling through Heathrow every bathroom stall had anti muslim hate speech written in it. You do not see that here in Poland, directed at anyone but opposing clubs.

If you want to generalize based on a fringe population, I CAN TOO! Take the games away from the racist Londoners!

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

By the way, if you are not exposed to a problem, you do not have to deal with it. The US and UK dealt with racism because it happened in their daily life. On average, in a large cosmopolitan city (Wroclaw) here in Poland, I see one or two black people per day. If there were suddenly a million immigrants with darker complexions, I am sure people would be more used to it and they would be educated about the lack of differences across humanity. As it stands, THEY ARE NOT EXPOSED TO IT, so there is no need to educate them.

My argument makes perfect sense, get off your high horse. Poland is not some thirdworld country, and hasn't ever been.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
What a suprise. Get ready to read about this every day. The press have got the racism card firmly between the teeth.

For once Blatter isnt the problem it is Platini that is burying his head in the sand and denying racism.

As for John Terry being there he shouldnt be, the man is an idiot and was one of the major problems for england at the last world cup, he creates disharmony in the team. IMO Rio should be there.

Enjoy the football between the random acts of violence. I also predict there will be a death or 2 possibly at the hands of the police/security services

Super mario must realise that he has opened a huge can of worms saying he will walk if racially abused, because guess what the cretin supporters will do at every opportunity. Will we see another cantona esque kung fu kick i wonder.

edit on 8-6-2012 by dragonsrreal because: Added to

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsrreal

You people do realize that all the so called hooligans have been banned from every match, right? That is part of the problem, they are uniting and "protesting" now.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

By the way, if you are not exposed to a problem, you do not have to deal with it. The US and UK dealt with racism because it happened in their daily life. On average, in a large cosmopolitan city (Wroclaw) here in Poland, I see one or two black people per day. If there were suddenly a million immigrants with darker complexions, I am sure people would be more used to it and they would be educated about the lack of differences across humanity. As it stands, THEY ARE NOT EXPOSED TO IT, so there is no need to educate them. My argument makes perfect sense, get off your high horse. Poland is not some thirdworld country, and hasn't ever been.

I am not on a high horse!

Your argument is, in my opinion seriously flawed, you are saying that if people aren't exposed to a problem, then there is no reason to educate them about it.

That is patently wrong!....racism is racism end off!.....just because Poles haven't seen or lived along side a lot of black people doesn't excuse racism, don't tell me that the people guilty of this don't think they are doing anything wrong because they haven't been exposed to black people, because if you do, then I don't believe you.

Are you saying that schools in Poland don't teach multi culturism, that Poles are unaware of different ethnic groups?.

Any way let's see how the tournament pans out shall we......hopefully it will pass off without incidence.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
What is it about threads like these that always end up in a whose country is better argument.

Its so childish and quite pathetic.

I feel sorry for the OP and the couple other members that actually thought they might be able to have a real discussion.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

and britain has that Rothschild who controls Trillion dollar corruption funds like Global security fund and your monarchy squanders public money on pompous celebration while impoverishing its own population. Also britain protects wahabi terrorists.Considering this Britain should not be allowed to host tournaments.

And how exactly is any of that relevant, (I'm not even going to start on whether it's accurate or not), to the topic of this thread?

It's just another example of your blatant bigotted anti-UK rhetoric which is becoming far too common, yet ATS Staff apparently continue to allow you to voice such vitriol at will.

On topic;
Yes, this is bang out of order but to label all Poles or Ukrainians as racists is a bit extreme.

I've been to Poland a few times and to Krakow itself.
Yes, it can be intimidating at times - all cities can be - but the vast majority of people are exactly the same as anyone else.
Yes, they do seem to have a problem with racism and neither Blatter or Platini really seem ready to address it head on like the English football authorities did - but let's just wait to see how things pan out before condemning whole nations and people.
However, UEFA should have instructed the Polish FA to carry out an immediate investigation and insist that if anyone was proven guilty of racial abuse then they should suffer lifetime bans and prosecution.

Certainly not wanting to dismiss or excuse racism but I think people really have to realise that these countries are hardly the multi-cultural melting pots that many of us in western Europe / USA etc are used to and this attitude is down to ignorance and inexposure to other cultures / societies and what could almost be called old colonial attitudes etc.
Football authorities can only do so much in addressing these problems - it also requires government support through education and legislation etc.

Having said all that I wouldn't condemn anyone for walking off if they were being racially abused - personally I'd like to think I'd get the better through football etc - but that's slightly naive and probably born through never being subjected to this type of racial abuse etc.
edit on 8/6/12 by Freeborn because: typo

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Another undercover report to maybe show more sides to this.

It seems the Ukraine authorities are shown in a different light to the BBC show. I wonder which one if closer to the truth?
edit on 8-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join