It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dershowitz: Zimmerman prosecutor threatened to sue Harvard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Dershowitz: Zimmerman prosecutor threatened to sue Harvard

When Alan Dershowitz blasted the prosecutor in the George Zimmerman-Trayvon Martin case, she went straight to his boss at Harvard Law School to complain, according to the legal legend.

Angela Corey, the state attorney who charged Zimmerman with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of the unarmed teen, threatened to sue the law school and Dershowitz for libel and slander during a “40-minute rant,” according to Dershowitz. The "Reversal of Fortune" lawyer — who has said Corey overreached with the charge against Zimmerman — told FoxNews.com he hopes the attorney for Florida's Fourth Judicial Circuit Court follows through.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Click link for remainder of article...

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Why does this not surprise me... The prosecutor seems to continue making bad decisions, regardless of when its pointed out to her or not. Its one thing to respond to defend her position however its entirely something different to threten to sue. To me the threat to sue comes across not as a person defending her actions but a person attempting to defend her public image and profile.

If she were truely interested in justice she would have recused herself after the testimnoy of the detective where he admitted he lied on the affidavidt. She never should have signed off on it and she should be held accountible for her actions as well.
edit on 8-6-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
this is totally wrong.Zimmerman is deliberately being made a scapegoat

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Very Interesting piece on this here

Law professor William Jacobson makes the perceptive legal ethics observation that Corey has created a conflict of interest for herself that raises the question of whether she should be removed from the case. He writes: “Will she conduct the prosecution in such a way as to achieve justice, or to set herself up for a personal lawsuit against Dershowitz and Harvard?….

By threatening suit against a critic in the middle of the case, Corey has put her own financial interests at stake in the outcome and conduct of the prosecution. Florida has adopted American Bar Association Standards of Criminal Justice Relating to Prosecution Function. ABA Standard 3-1.3 Conflicts of Interest provides in pertinent part:

(f) A prosecutor should not permit his or her professional judgment or obligations to be affected by his or her own political, financial, business, property, or personal interests.

The article points out how this seems to be a pattern with her.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Interesting... Thanks for sharing that...

I am getting the impression that, if this ever makes it to court, her actions will be the basis for an appeal / acquittal / prosecutorial misconduct / dismissal of charges with prejudice.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Maluhia

Interesting... Thanks for sharing that...

I am getting the impression that, if this ever makes it to court, her actions will be the basis for an appeal / acquittal / prosecutorial misconduct / dismissal of charges with prejudice.

Is it possible that this is what she/the state of Florida is hoping will happen? Is this a way to say that well we went after Zimmerman loaded for bear and this is what it got us? What is her opinion of the 'stand your ground' law? Have her views on that been posted anywhere? If so, forgive me, I haven't been following this all that closely. I sense some sort of misdirection/slight of hand here.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Dershowitz is correct. The prosecutor is wrong.
She keeps digging her hole deeper and deeper ...

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by obiwanbeeohbee

For a prosecutor to file charges, especially murder charges, in an effort to make a point..... It would be career / professional suicide. The justice system is not suppose to be political and its supposed to ignore any political pressure, whether by the 2 other branches of government or the public.

If this is indeed the case I would like to see her disbarred and charged with prosecutorial misconduct.

Personally what I think it is for her is personal. She has a very high opinion of herself and judging by her initial public comments has political ambitions beyond her current level. Either way this goes she will try and spin it that she was doing her job. Why the judge allowed the charges to proceed when the detective was caught lying is beyond me.....

top topics

join