It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What crazy BS is the new GCTF "Global Counterterrorism Forum"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Of coarse you might not have ever heard of this GCTF "Global Counterterrorism Forum". Its because its supposed to be the new and improved UN / Hillary Clinton formed "War on Terrorism" group for the world to follow as iif it will be the perfect way to fight terrorism and much better then the way it is being done now.

So let me give you a copy of a transcript from a interiew Istanbul, Turkey. Then I will point out some things about that meeting I tink will show you why people truely seemed completely lost on what was going on.

www.scoop.co.nz...

US State Dpt: Global Counterterrorism Forum in Istanbul
Friday, 8 June 2012, 12:13 pm
Press Release: US State Department
Background Briefing: Senior State Department Official on Global Counterterrorism Forum in Istanbul
Special Briefing
Senior Department Official
Istanbul, Turkey
June 7, 2012

The title gives you information on who, what and where is being discussed.

SENIOR STATE DEPARTMENT OFFICIAL: Okay. I’m sure you’re all exhausted, so I’ll try to be brief. A little background first on the Global Counterterrorism Forum and a little bit about tomorrow. I think you’ve seen the fact sheets.
It’s important to remember that Secretary Clinton came into office with a strong conviction that we needed a more comprehensive counterterrorism policy and that there was an important diplomatic role to be played. She believed strongly that it was not just a question of taking out the terrorists who were threatening us at any given moment, but that over the long term, we also needed to diminish recruitment, which the terrorists of course rely upon, and help others to do a better job defending themselves against the threats within their borders and in their regions.
You’ve heard her speak at great length about smart power. She – we very much consider this to be a smart power approach. We could call it strategic counterterrorism. And its core elements involve countering violent extremism, undermining the ideology of al-Qaida and other extremist groups, and capacity building. Those are really the two pillars.
And to advance that agenda, she led the effort to create the Global Counterterrorism Forum, a multilateral informal body that is established to focus on those two areas and to really concentrate on strengthening civilian institutions in frontline states around the world. The GCTF was established last September in New York. The United States co-chairs this group with Turkey. She and Foreign Minister Davutoglu presided over the launch, and there are 30 members of the GCTF – 29 countries and the EU.

Every thing seems ok so far. Hillary decided to change the way the "war on terror" is going to be ran. Reminder when the wars were put on the books after Obama took office. All war on terror including covert operations, nation building and propaganda was handed over to the US State Department in order to remove it from the militaries books. Back to the story now. So Hillary decides to create GCTF. And all those countries are involved sounds ok.I guess.

The GCTF sought from the outset to bridge old and deep divides in the international community between Western donor nations and Muslim majority nations. And it has, I think, done that quite effectively. You have, I know, the lists of the members, so I won’t go through all those. I also wanted – I also sought to bring in the other great powers – China, India, Russia – as well as geographic representation from all continents. So that sort of explains the composition.
At the outset, the group sort of exceeded expectations from the beginning with the announcement of two important deliverables: One was roughly $90 million to support rule of law programming in primarily transition states – those of the Arab Awakening – and there was a great deal of support for that --

So the super powers are in and want to figure out whats going to happen in the Arab Awakening. That sounds like it could be good.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

SENIOR STATE DEPARTMENT OFFICIAL: -- to that end. And also the United Arab Emirates stepped forward and announced its intention to create the first Global Center of Excellence for Countering Violent Extremism.
To bring you up to date, that project is going forward and we expect that the center, with support from the United States and many other GCTF countries, will open its doors in October. And the rule of law work has also gone forward in very important ways --
QUESTION: What is the Center of Excellence? Is that like a hall of fame or something?
MODERATOR: Guys, why don’t we let him finish, and then we’ll go to questions. Go ahead, please.

Kind of strange sounding. Global Center of Excellence for Countering Violent Extremism in the United Arab Emirates. I did not think it was a award center but I do wonder about it. Saudi Arabia had something that sounded like that for reeducation of terrorist before they let them go free. A resort for terrorist to spend a year and they get to do what they want all over again. And Saudi Arabia gave them a home a wife lots of money and said be good now. Could this be the same thing all over again?

SENIOR STATE DEPARTMENT OFFICIAL: The Center of Excellence just – since it does deserve some elaboration – is going to be focused on training, research, and dialogue. And it is going to be a center that provides best practices to a whole array of different kinds of groups, government officials, so that they can help make the policies that will result in a diminution of radicalization. It will also deal with NGOs, communities, religious leaders, and the like.
So the – just to come back for one second to the organization of the GCTF, it consists of a coordinating committee, and that is the sort of superstructure, and beneath that there are five working groups, two functional ones. Countering Violent Extremism is one, and that is co-chaired by the UAE and the UK. Another one is the Rule of Law and Criminal Justice. We co-chair that with the Egyptians. There are also three regional working groups: one in the Sahel, one in the Horn of Africa, one in Southeast Asia. The --

Maybe not what Saudi Arbia had but what the ___ did he say? The Egyptians are going to be running things and coming up with the foundations for "Rule of Law and Criminal Justice". This is a country that went through the Spring Uprisings. And still can'tget things worked out. Canceled the elections a couple of times already to replace there leader. And are now about to protest again because after all the trouble of the uprising only the leader Hosni Mubarak was sentenced to life and the rest got acquittals. This is the guy who was running President Bush's torture program. This guy was torturing his own people and killing them. They are still under military control. Egypt still does not have a government but they are going to say how the worlds governments should run?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
The whole thing sounds like some sort of absurdist comedy.

Sometimes I just have to admit that I'm not smart enough to follow the globalists' game plan. I guess it will eventually become clear why the biggest terrorist organization on Earth wants to pretend that it's practicing "excellence" in terrorist-fighting. More Newspeak, I guess....

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Tomorrow we will have the first plenary at the ministerial level since the group was created last September. In the interim, all the working groups have help meetings, some of them multiple meetings. The key initiatives that will be rolled out are as follows. There will be a set of good practices in the criminal justice sector. The document is called the Rabat Memorandum on Good Practices for Effective Counterterrorism Practice in the Criminal Justice Sector. And that is essentially a blueprint for further programs in this area so that countries will have – I’m sorry, let me back up – so that there will be essentially an agreed-upon plan that members of the GCTF will work off of as they provide assistance to different countries so that they can improve the quality of their police, their investigators, their prosecutors, their judiciary, and even their legislators so that they can write better laws for dealing with terrorism.
So the Rabat Memorandum is one blueprint for that. Another blueprint that’s going to be rolled out is called the Rome Memorandum. This has to do with practices for prisons for rehabilitating violent extremists, for essentially disengaging them from groups that they may be involved with and radical ideologies that they may be attracted to. This too is going to be a blueprint for technical assistance. We have worked closely with the UN on this one, and a number of countries will be supporting the work in this area. And we’ve already been getting requests for technical assistance. As many of you know, prisons have become really one of the primary incubators of terrorists, and this is an effort to roll that back.
A number of countries will announce a range of deliverables, support for these different programs as well as some programs of their own that they will be rolling out. There will be an update on the progress in terms of opening the center in the UAE. And finally, there will be the announcement of the intention to establish an international training center dedicated to carrying out the kinds of trainings that I talked about in the Rabat – with the Rabat Memorandum. There’s going to be an actual center of excellence, if you will, another institution focused on delivering those trainings for criminal justice institutions and other rule of law institutions. That – the location of that will be announced shortly, but I’m not prepared to say where it’s going to be just yet.
So that’s – those are the outlines, and if you have questions, I’m happy to answer them.
QUESTION: You have – the Egyptians are a co-chairing rule of law working group?

So Egypt is going to run rule of law working group? They have written the document "Rabat Memorandum on Good Practices for Effective Counterterrorism Practice in the Criminal Justice Sector" that the world is supposed to follow as a shining example? Egypt is starting to protest in the streets again because after the uprising in Egypt the courts decided to give Hosni Mubarak life in prison and gave almost all the rest acquittals. There government what is left of it is still corrupt.

"Rabat Memorandum on Good Practices for Effective Counterterrorism Practice in the Criminal Justice Sector"
www.thegctf.org...

Written in Sept? They canceled the elections in Sept and never even had leaders to run there country.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I would love to see a list of who is in the GCTF. Is this kinda like the UN's Human rights council with members like Saudi Arabia and China. And what kind of agreements have we made. If say the US developed a " domestic terrorist " problem could they ask other members to provide support on American soil.

I think in time America will rise up against its goverment but no where near as quick as if they were to use foreign troops. I hear a lot of people say there would be no hope in winning but take Texas for say. 25.14 million people. Well over half of them armed. Not a fight I would pick.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
GCTF website.
www.thegctf.org...

The meeting was in Turkey. The terrorist in Turkey are protected basicly by the US. The PKK terrorist that attack Turkey are the Kurds in Iraq. The US is also talking about removing the MeK from the terrorist list because they want to attack Iran. Even though MeK has done attacks on the US and even the UN itself. None of this makes any sense?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

SENIOR STATE DEPARTMENT OFFICIAL: Well, let me – actually, let me just elaborate on that for one second. One of the goals of the GCTF has been to go beyond the historic debates that have come – bedeviled counterterrorism for a long time to get away from the question of who is a terrorist, for example, and to really let the experts in these various areas come together and work in a very pragmatic way to really get things done. As the Secretary said at the launch, we don’t need another talk shop.We need to be action -oriented. And we very much have tried to realize her vision in that regard.
And so the interesting thing is that the Rule of Law Working Group – the folks who are doing it for our side, it’s the Department of Justice. It’s not the State Department doing this. So it’s the real practitioners rolling up their sleeves and working on very, very practical issues and thinking about what kind of programs they can institute so that others will benefit from the insights that the group brings to bear.

"As the Secretary said at the launch, we don’t need another talk shop.We need to be action -oriented." So this will be some kind of hit squad through the UN?

"And so the interesting thing is that the Rule of Law Working Group – the folks who are doing it for our side, it’s the Department of Justice." Would that be the same kind of judges that said torture was legal and you can fly terrorist into Egypt to be tortured by Hosni Mubark? The same Hosni Mubark senteneced to life?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I know, right? It just keeps getting better and better. Whatever they're up to, they intend to hit it clean out of the park....
edit on 6/8/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by David134

I found a document that says a few names.

www.thegctf.org...

And I notice a few of my comments show up in it.

Turkey spoke about its work in the field of international police cooperation in CT matters, including those related to the PKK and al-Qaida. With respect to the former, Turkey highlighted that the PKK continues to recruit and raise funds in Europe. Turkey noted that its extradition requests in terrorism cases have been refused much more often that requests in drug trafficking and other non-terrorism criminal cases; other countries noted that there are often evidentiary issues associated with some terrorism extradition requests. Turkey also enumerated some of the different forms of CT cooperation activities it undertakes with other countries, which include meeting with police liaison officers, cooperation between judicial units, joint investigations, mutual legal assistance (MLA) requests and meetings between prosecutors, trainings, and information exchanges. Turkey concluded by noting that although CT legal frameworks may differ from country to country, all have some legislation to allow for respect of other countries’ views on CT issues.

Turkey saying why don't we get help with the PKK.

And how about Columbia.

Colombia spoke about the use electronic surveillance in terrorism cases, with a particular emphasis on ensuring due process and other human rights are respected, including through appropriate judicial and other legal oversight. In order to carry out electronic surveillance in Colombia against a suspected terrorist, a legal threshold must be met; sometimes suspicion coupled with legally-obtained evidence is sufficient. After the legal threshold has been met, the prosecution can authorize law enforcement analysts in special wiretap centers to carry out the
electronic surveillance. It was noted that although communication intercepts have proven invaluable in reactive investigations (i.e., after an attack), they should be used more often to proactively gather information to help prevent terrorist acts that are in their planning phase.
Following the presentation, working group members discussed the need to balance conducting justified electronic surveillance and preventing the violation of human rights. Participants generally agreed that 1) electronic surveillance is an important and effective CT technique premium; 2) national legal frameworks should be flexible enough to evolve with changing communications technologies like Skype and investigative techniques; 3) enhanced international cooperation in this field is important given the increasing need to obtain information housed in other countries; and 4) more attention should be given to training law enforcement officials on how to preserve and shared often valuable electronic intelligence/evidence as well as to training judges on how to accept evidence extracted from electronic surveillance. The UN Office of Drugs and Crime’s Terrorism Prevention Branch (UNODC TPB) spoke about how it is developing a training module on the preservation, use, and sharing of evidence obtained via the Internet.

Columbia does not have a Secret Intelligence division any more. It was shut down because it was corrupt. They were deeply involved in the drug trade and organized crime. This is the same Intelligence Agency that Bush when he visited said he was proud to be working with them and looked forward to the freetrade agreement to sell them aircraft and helicopter parts.
What a joke.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

It's starting to look like maybe State is trying to standardize surveillance techniques, laws, and exchange of information worldwide. With a side-order of opening markets for drones--and/or whatever else they may have up their sleeves. A perfect storm of commercial and spycraft opportunities.

Yay! I can hardly wait!

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Good point if you can't afford to run the war on terror with your own money get some one else to pay for it. Just like Facebook. InQtel the CIA funder behind Facebook had to cut cost so they let Facebook go public. No body wants it because they know the government money will not be behind it any more. Mark Zuckerberg just moved over to China to work on its sister for them called RENREN now he will get rich off China.

edit on 8-6-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join