It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism to Defeat Religion By 2038

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Born in 1982, and nothing will break away my faith, nor my childrens faith.

29INFDIV

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 29INFDIV

29INFDIV

Born in 1946.

I once made the same statement.

Now Atheist.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by racasan
Well perhaps you missed the part where I said I don’t believe any of that
Do you have any kind of evidence or reasoning that doesn’t require me to be a christian all ready or need some sort of Christian decoder ring to work out what you're talking about ?

I'm with you. That's why I asked for it to be put in plain English.

I'm open for other possibilities.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Yes! There are. Lack of belief in god/deity is the only requirement.

There's only atheists. Atheists are atheists.

Lack of Belief is the correct definition.

You are of the same mind as my desk I'm sitting at. Interesting.

If there is a "belief" it is individual and determined by the individual - - - that belief would lack belief in a god/deity.

You're right! It's a belief that lacks the belief in a God/deity. You're getting warmer!

Muslims believe in a God.

But they still have a belief, it not a lack of belief, just like atheism isn't merely a lack of belief in God.

link   

Originally posted by satron

You think two people sitting next to each other in the pews have the same exact beliefs? They don't. Religious people can have different reasons for their belief just like atheists.

The belief itself has a written doctrine for the group to follow.

There is no such thing as an atheist doctrine.

link   

Originally posted by 29INFDIV

29INFDIV

Born in 1946.

I once made the same statement.

Now Atheist.

Are you sure? I'm not convinced you know what an atheist is.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
How could a person have a closed mind about the existence of a supreme being? Wouldn't the only intellectually honest position be - I don't know?

How do they know there's no God, that's what I'd like to know. They must have unsurpassed genius to make such a claim with utter certainty.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

You think two people sitting next to each other in the pews have the same exact beliefs? They don't. Religious people can have different reasons for their belief just like atheists.

The belief itself has a written doctrine for the group to follow.

There is no such thing as an atheist doctrine.

Oh yeah? If I asked everyone what a true Christian was, how many response do you think I'd get?

If atheists have a philosophy like you say, then how can they apply themselves to it, it there is no such thing as an atheist doctrine?

You realize what you're saying doesn't make sense? I've asked this question to you before, and I think it needs to be raised again.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
How could a person have a closed mind about the existence of a supreme being? Wouldn't the only intellectually honest position be - I don't know?

How do they know there's no God, that's what I'd like to know. They must have unsurpassed genius to make such a claim with utter certainty.

The only people that have a closed mind about the existence of a supreme being are infants, Tarzan, Fred Flintstone, my carpet, and keyboard, and this broken guitar string.

You're right, if they do know, then they are hiding something very heavy from all of us.
edit on 8-6-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

There's only atheists. Atheists are atheists.

One definition: Lack of Belief in a god/deity.

Atheist Philosophy: individual thought/belief - - - - only common connector: Lack of Belief in a god/deity.

You are of the same mind as my desk I'm sitting at. Interesting.

Must be an intelligent cognitive desk.

If there is a "belief" it is individual and determined by the individual - - - that belief would lack belief in a god/deity.

To dis-believe in something - - you would first have to acknowledge it exists.

Lack of Believe - - does not recognize its existence.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by racasan
reply to post by EnochWasRight

Carbon? – this is that 666 thingy christians believe has some significance?

Then you go on the mention Genesis and then revelation - riiiight

Well perhaps you missed the part where I said I don’t believe any of that
Do you have any kind of evidence or reasoning that doesn’t require me to be a christian all ready or need some sort of Christian decoder ring to work out what you're talking about ?

Truth is in the Word.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Oh yeah? If I asked everyone what a true Christian was, how many response do you think I'd get?

We define "Christian" as follows:

We accept as Christian any individual or group who devoutly, thoughtfully, seriously, and prayerfully regards themselves to be Christian. That is, they honestly believe that they follow Yeshua of Nazareth's (a.k.a. Jesus Christ's) teachings as they understand them to be. www.religioustolerance.org...

If atheists have a philosophy like you say, then how can they apply themselves to it, it there is no such thing as an atheist doctrine?

I said individuals can have a philosophy.

If they are Atheist - - - then their philosophy Lacks Belief in a god/deity.

You realize what you're saying doesn't make sense? I've asked this question to you before, and I think it needs to be raised again.

My sense is clear.

You just can't accept it.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Note to go so OT but what I meant when asking that question was
if Atheism basically means agnostic then what cause such a big misinterpretation of what atheist means that seems so prevalent in many people who call themself atheist.
is it purely ignorance and bad information?

If that makes sense

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
reply to post by Annee

Note to go so OT but what I meant when asking that question was
if Atheism basically means agnostic then what cause such a big misinterpretation of what atheist means that seems so prevalent in many people who call themself atheist.
is it purely ignorance and bad information?

If that makes sense

Definition of Atheism: Lack of Belief in a god/deity.

Did you actually read this paragraph?

Agnosticism is not a creed but a method, the essence of which lies in the vigorous application of a single principle. Positively the principle may be expressed as, in matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it can carry you without other considerations. And negatively, in matters of the intellect, do not pretend the conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable. It is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of a proposition unless he can produce evidence which logically justifies that certainty. atheists.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

Truth is in the Word.

Bummer when someone seems to make logical sense.

Then supports it with: "Truth is the Word".

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

The only people that have a closed mind about the existence of a supreme being are infants, Tarzan, Fred Flintstone, my carpet, and keyboard, and this broken guitar string.

You're right, if they do know, then they are hiding something very heavy from all of us.

Strike the part about unsurpassed genius then.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

There are no such things as hard/soft, negative/positive atheists.

Yes! There are. Lack of belief in god/deity is the only requirement.

You not liking the answer is not my problem.

Your definition of atheism - lack of belief in a god/deity - is deceptive, because it doesn't demonstrate what IS believed, which is that God doesn't exist.

God can not be proven or dis-proven. It is incorrect to state God does not exist.

It's like saying "A Muslim is someone that doesn't believe in Christianity"

Muslims believe in a God.

He can't be seen. He can be known. You can be seen and known.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

He can't be seen. He can be known. You can be seen and known.

Sorry.

But that says nothing.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Atheism to defeat religion by 2038? You do realize that currently 84% of the world's population is religious, don't you? Atheists are a very small minority.

All of your science, logic, and reason will never outweigh personal experience.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
the article is claiming that the countries where more of the population doesn't believe in God have double the gdp than countries that do.

well look at africa.

according to the ignorant idiot who wrote the article, every african should have a 14 room mansion and a bentley.

he's trying to convince people that not believing in God is the way to more prosperity and wealth than believing in Him.

and some people will believe that. basically he's saying reject God and get rich, believe in God and be poor.

talking a line from obi wan , "only the sith deal in absolutes".

and as for the author of that article, for someone who obviously doesn't believe in God, he sure is doing the devils work.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join